Recent LPR with an Unusual Question Concerning Travel

dzd

If this is the wrong forum/subforum to post this question in, I apologize in advance.

Here is my story.

I came to the US when I was 5. I'm 26 now and only recently became a LPR. I have a question regarding the risk in traveling to my country of birth considering I am still bound by the legal age of conscription in my country (Russia).

I am a College graduate, a somewhat successful entrepreneur and a backgammon champion :) It would be a shame to lose all that since it's all so dependent on my being here.

I haven't seen my relatives in close to 20 years... it would be nice if I didn't have to wait any longer and I could simply fly down and see them. I have only one grandparent left, and outside of my parents, no family here.

So that's my question. Am I free to go there? Or would they stop me as soon as I cross the border and force me into the army?

And to make things even more complicated, I plan on traveling on a RP (reentry permit). I don't have a NP (national passport) - I don't think I ever did. I'm also somewhat reluctant to make one. Is Russia one of the territories that would accept that in lieu of a passport? I think I read somewhere, yes.

And finally, do I need a Visa to travel to Russia? Considering that my RP will say 'Russia' as my country of birth/citizenship?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen my relatives in close to 20 years... it would be nice if I didn't have to wait any longer and I could simply fly down and see them. I have only one grandparent left, and outside of my parents, no family here.

So that's my question. Am I free to go there? Or would they stop me as soon as I cross the border and force me into the army?
You should arrange to meet your relatives in a third country, maybe somewhere nearby in Europe. Otherwise you risk being arrested if you enter Russia, or they may block you from leaving there.

And to make things even more complicated, I plan on traveling on a RP (reentry permit). I don't have a NP (national passport) - I don't think I ever did. I'm also somewhat reluctant to make one. Is Russia one of the territories that would accept that in lieu of a passport? I think I read somewhere, yes.
I don't know about Russia's policies specifically, but I don't think there is any country that would accept a reentry permit in lieu of a passport for one of their own citizens. At least not without some interrogation about why you're not carrying their passport.