Question on Travel Document (I-131)

kuchchbhee

Registered Users (C)
I am getting ready to apply for 're-entry permit' for my parents. They both hold GC and are currently in US. I have a question what to state in I-131 section called "Purpose of Trip":

I would like to state both my parents need medical surgery and would return after surgery and recovery. This is likely and truthful scenario. However, my real situation is, my parents don't want to return, but i want to have re-entry paper work completed in case after 1 or 2 years, if only one of them survives, then i can bring the other one to US on the grounds of re-entry permit.

Any knowledge shared is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can explain the surgery issue as the 'purpose' of the trip. You can say it will take longer than a year for them to recover (which is also probably true), and if one of them is having surgery the other parent will be there as a carer. To your knowledge, this is the truthful scenario/reason at present. If, after going back, they feel too homesick to return, that's a different matter. You don't have to explain that now, nor do they have to explain it during their re-entry.

Wishing your parents long and healthy life.

Just state "medical treatment". No need to give any more details. The permit will be granted regardless of the reason that is given (as long as it's not illegal or suspicious like traveling to Afghanistan or Cuba).