Q2 (APR-JUN) 2009 N400 Filers Tracker

Same day oath available?

Hi y'all!
I've seen a couple of posts where people is getting the oath done the same interview date.
Does someone knows if this is an option that is available?
I would like to expedite that part of the process as much as I can, because I need to file an I-130 petition for my wife.
I'm in Houston, TX.
Thanks in advance,

KatyTXResident

Hi y'all!
I've seen a couple of posts where people is getting the oath done the same interview date.
Does someone knows if this is an option that is available?
I would like to expedite that part of the process as much as I can, because I need to file an I-130 petition for my wife.
I'm in Houston, TX.
Thanks in advance,

KatyTXResident

It depends on the DO and the day of the interview. Most of them don't do the same day oath.
Also it depends on the time of your interview (There should be at least 2 hours between interview and oath time)

Not in Houston unfortunately - they do in Dallas... The Oath Ceremony is once a month in Houston, usually the 2nd or 3rd Wed of the month.

Good luck with your N400 and for your wife's process too :)

I finally received my OL yesterday. OD is sept 24th @ Trinity University.

N-400 Timeline

May 1st Priority date
FP sometime in June
Interview July 16th
Oath Letter August 24th
Oath Date Sept 24th

Interview Done & Over With!!!

Hello all,
Today, August 26th, I passed my interview... Yeah! I got there like 30 minutes before my scheduled interview time, I handed my appointment letter to the officer at the door and he sent me to the trailer and mentioned my name would be called shortly. Right by the time I was scheduled, I was called, passed through the security checkpoint, and was given directions to take a seat and wait at another area of the building. Two minutes after, a very nice older lady called my name, introduced herself as the officer who would be conducting my interview, took me to her office, sworn me in, and invited me to take a seat.
First, and for the most part, we went over the whole application paperwork, she made a few annotations, had me sign and initial here and there, made sure that all the info to be included on Naturalization Certificate was correct, had me sign that as well, etc.
Right after that she proceeded to ask the next questions:
  1. What is freedom of religion?
  2. When was the Constitution written?
  3. Name one state that borders Canada.
  4. What ocean is on the east coast of the US?
  5. When do young men register for the Selective Service?
For some reason, I can't recall the last question... She stopped after the sixth because I had answered all of them right. Then, she had me read: "What do we pay to the US government?", and write the answer she gave me: "We pay taxes to the US government". Once we completed this, she handed me form N-652 with the results of the interview, congratulated me, wished me luck, and mentioned I should be receiving the invitation for the Oath Ceremony within a week or so, and that I will most likely be on the one for September 24th in the afternoon.
I'm so glad the interview is over!!! All I have to do now is wait for my Oath Letter... My experience at USCIS today was very pleasant. Everyone there was very courteous and polite, and Patricia Dwyer, the officer that conducted my interview, was extremely courteous, polite, and sweet.
Good Luck to you all and, please, go to you interview calmed and feeling confident 'cause is anything but scary. ;)

Congratulations ytorno!! Hope you get your OL soon! Hope that I get an experience just like yours :)

TextToBe,

Thanks a lot! Don't worry, you'll interview will go smoothly as well. The worst part of the interview is the pre-stress, but once you go thru it, you realize there was nothing to be worried about.

Regards,

Y.

I'm guessing that your 6th civics question was the # of senators in the Congress?

Congrats!!

Hello all,
Today, August 26th, I passed my interview... Yeah! I got there like 30 minutes before my scheduled interview time, I handed my appointment letter to the officer at the door and he sent me to the trailer and mentioned my name would be called shortly. Right by the time I was scheduled, I was called, passed through the security checkpoint, and was given directions to take a seat and wait at another area of the building. Two minutes after, a very nice older lady called my name, introduced herself as the officer who would be conducting my interview, took me to her office, sworn me in, and invited me to take a seat.
First, and for the most part, we went over the whole application paperwork, she made a few annotations, had me sign and initial here and there, made sure that all the info to be included on Naturalization Certificate was correct, had me sign that as well, etc.
For some reason, I can't recall the last question... She stopped after the sixth because I had answered all of them right. Then, she had me read: "What do we pay to the US government?", and write the answer she gave me: "We pay taxes to the US government". Once we completed this, she handed me form N-652 with the results of the interview, congratulated me, wished me luck, and mentioned I should be receiving the invitation for the Oath Ceremony within a week or so, and that I will most likely be on the one for September 24th in the afternoon.
I'm so glad the interview is over!!! All I have to do now is wait for my Oath Letter... My experience at USCIS today was very pleasant. Everyone there was very courteous and polite, and Patricia Dwyer, the officer that conducted my interview, was extremely courteous, polite, and sweet.
Good Luck to you all and, please, go to you interview calmed and feeling confident 'cause is anything but scary. ;)

Congrats ytorno..
hope you will get the oath letter soon..

Hello all,

I'm guessing that your 6th civics question was the # of senators in the Congress?

Congrats!!

Rjain2,

Thanks and I don't know how you did it, but that's exactly what the other question was.

Thanks again and good luck to you,

Y.

Congrats ytorno..
hope you will get the oath letter soon..

cpzinga,

Thanks a million! I will keep everyone posted on my progress... I'm hoping I get the OL within a week or so, as the IO that interviewed me mentioned that's how long it should take.

Thanks again,

Y.

Interview Quesitons Template

Based on 100% fit between the civics questions asked between two of us, I suspect that the IO's pull up an interview questionnaire which has preset 10 questions, most probably them may have a dozen of so of these questionnaires and it's your luck which one comes up....

It's obviously trivial as one still needs to memorize all the 100 questions; I personally found the booklet very informative and interesting reading and felt it was time well spent!

Rjain2,

Thanks and I don't know how you did it, but that's exactly what the other question was.

Thanks again and good luck to you,

Y.

Had my interview today. 8.10 appt time., so we got there at 8 and I only waited 10 minutes to get in right on time. My officer was really friendly and helpful. She didn't even look at any of the evidence/certificates etc, or even my passport, just my drivers license and green card.

She went through the application and verified everything, then when it came to the part of the application about Selective Service she asked if I'd applied. I told her I had, and she asked for the written proof, which I didn't have. I explained that I'd been automatically signed up when I got a driver's license while I was still on a student visa, and didn't know what it was when I received it in the mail, so I didn't keep it. She was satisfied with that, and said it was no problem, she would look it up online at sss.gov and print out the information from the webpage. Whew! I guess this might mean that the printed web page from sss.gov might be sufficient as evidence if you're in a bind and don't have your registration card.

She then asked the questions:
  1. Who is in charge of the executive branch?
  2. What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?
  3. During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the United States?
  4. If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
  5. There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Describe one of them.
  6. What is one reason colonists came to America?
I hadn't really studied much, as I was pretty familiar with American history and government. The only question I had trouble with was the Cold War one (nuclear proliferation? Russia?) but she gave me a hint and I got it. It felt like she was really on my side. Wrote the sentence (California has the most people) and read aloud the other (Which state has the most people?) and then she gave me an interview results sheet with the Congratulations! box checked. She told me my oath ceremony would probably be in October.

And that was pretty much it. Again, my officer was really nice and it was a painless experience. I hope it will be the same experience for all of you still waiting!

Congrats.

Update

D/O : Lousville, KY
05/14/09 : Two N-400 (self and wife) mailed to Lewisville, TX by UPS
05/18/09 : N-400 Received (UPS tracking)
05/18/09 : Priority Date
05/21/09 : Checks cashed
05/18/09 : NOA received
06/08/09 : Fingerprint Notices (self and wife)
06/12/09 : Fingerprint appointments and done
06/25/09 : Interview Letter
07/30/09 : Interview Date (Passed)
08/27/09 : Oath Letter
09/11/09 : Oath ceremony

One chapter of this immigration journey complete!!! Just wanted to share my interview experience yesterday in Santa Ana, CA.
Arrived at the DO 1 hr early at noon. No lines so I just checked in with security and waited with the other 30 or so people to be called in. Was called in at 1:05, exact time of my appt. A very nice lady officer ushered me into her office and swore me in.
Then she started out with the civic questions:
1. How many amendments to constitution?
2. Name of VP?
3. Highest court in US?
4. What group was sold as slaves?
5. Why did colonists fight British?
6. Who makes federal laws?
Then I was asked to read "Who can vote?" and asked to write "Citizens can vote."
She then started to go quickly over some of the questions in the N400 app.
I had been sent a yellow letter asking me to bring in Status Info letter from SSS but the IO did not ask for it. I was a bit worried since I was required to but did not register. She only asked how old I was and I believe that once she found out that I was over 31, she left that subject alone.
She then congratulated me and gave me a copy the "recommended for approval" notice. I was told told to expect oath letter within the next 3 months and was done.
The whole interview took only about 15 minutes. Now it is another waiting. Hope to get my OL soon so I can be completely done, get my passport and lock away my immigration files. It has been a 20 yr journey and can't wait till it is all over.
Good luck to all other applicants.

Waiting for further action

Hi,

I interviewed on July 22 in DC office. They asked for some additional information at the interview I sent it on July 27th to USCIS DC office. I have not heard anything back yet. I called the Customer Service number today and they said I should wait for 90 days after sending the letter and if there is no further information from the District Office (DC) then I should call back and they can request action on the application.

Here is my question. should I get info pass for the local office as they may have more information on the case or should I wait for 90 days as suggested by the customer service officer.

Last edited by a moderator:
@USC09 - Congratulations and thanks for sharing your interview experience!! Hope your OL shows up soon!

@GC-IS-A-DREAM - did you just talk to the 1st level CSR or to a 2nd level IO on the phone? I think the first level people are always going to say wait 90days for RFE response for any kind of application, whereas the 2nd level IO might be able to see more details. If you want to bypass the CSR, you need to tell them you don't have your case number, and that you want to check on your application using your A number, so then they will transfer you to 2nd level IO. Otherwise, I think the Infopass idea is good, just to make sure they received everything and if there's something else they need etc..

OD confirmed

I took an Infopass appointment today... the officer said my file is lost in transit--- whatever that meant... he also said not to worry and joked that he exactly knows which room it is in. I asked when I can expect oath as it has been more than 30 days (thats the timeline the officer gave me during the interview). He said I can expect to get an oath letter in the next 30 days and he asked to come back with an Infopass appointment if I dont get an oath letter. He took a photocopy of my interview results letter and wrote on the letter that my file is missing in transit and said he will ask he records folks to locate the file.

Any idea what lost/missing in transit means? Is this something to be concerned?

Called Cust svc and spoke to a Second Level IO 10 mins ago. He gave my Oath Date otp... Sep 24th at 1 PM. Mentioned that it was scheduled yesterday and I should get the letter in the mail soon.
Local DO Washington Field Office - Fairfax, VA
07/30/04 Green Card
04/30/09 UPS N400 to Lewisville, TX (Day 0)
05/01/09 Application Package Rec'd at Lewisville, TX (Day 1)
05/01/09 Priority Date (Day 1)
05/05/09 Cheque Cashed (Day 5)
05/05/09 Notice Date (Day 5)
05/08/09 Rec'd I-797C NOA (Day 8)
05/13/09 I-797C Fingerprint Notice Date (Day 13)
05/16/09 Rec'd I-797C NOA Fingerprint Notice (Day 16)
05/19/09 FP done (Walk in) at Alexandria ASC (Day 19)
06/05/09 Fingerprint Date - Scheduled (Day 36)
06/15/09 Interview Letter Notice Date (Day 46)
06/18/09 Interview Letter Received (Day 49)
07/22/09 Interview Date (PASSED ) (Day 83)
08/24/09 Infopass Appointment to check status (Day 116)
XXXXXXX Oath Letter Rec'd
09/24/09 Oath Ceremony (Day 147)

Last edited by a moderator:
Called Cust svc and spoke to a Second Level IO 10 mins ago. He gave my Oath Date otp... Sep 24th at 1 PM. Mentioned that it was scheduled yesterday and I should get the letter in the mail soon.
Local DO Washington Field Office - Fairfax, VA
It seems that calling 2nd level IO works better than other approach. Does IO means Interview Officer? Can we ask Cust svc to transfer to 2nd level IO directly without any other explanation?