Priority Date Retrogress: Impact on Employment based petition

Priority Dates : How Do They Work?
Posted Mar 18, 2000
Some of you, understandably, maybe confused by the concept of Priority Dates and we take this opportunity to provide you with an overview of how they work. Priority Dates determine when a foreign national will have the ability to file the final stage of the application for the green card (GC), known as the Adjustment of Status or I-485 application. The advantage of filing the I-485 at the earliest opportunity is that it allows the foreign national and any immediate family members the opportunity to file for the EAD or the employment authorization document (permission to work without having to maintain a temporary worker status such as H1B) and Advance Parole (permission to reenter the U.S. after travel abroad while the I-485 is pending). The priority date must also be considered for consular processing (CP) filings.

A priority date, in an employment-based (EB) case requiring Labor Certification (LC), is the officially acknowledged date that the case was filed at the state level Department of Labor office, referred to as the SESA. If the EB case was filed in a category that does not require labor certification, then the priority date assigned by the INS is the date the I-140 (Immigrant Visa Petition) is received by the INS Service Center.

A person determines when s/he will be able to file for the I-485 by checking the dates each month on the Visa Bulletin chart. Every month, the U.S. Department of State publishes the Visa Bulletin. The Visa Dates indicate whether the dates are current or whether there is a backlog in order to file for the Adjustment of Status or CP.

By law, there is a quota or limit to the number of people who can receive a green card (GC) in a given year. This quota is based both on the employment-based category (EB1, EB2, or EB3, etc.) and on "per country" limits, meaning that every country, no matter how large or how small, is given the same maximum percentage allocation of the worldwide quota. Countries like China and India with large populations are then subject to longer waiting times than a person born in a neighboring country like Pakistan or Nepal. The number of spaces (sometimes referred to as "visa numbers") for a particular country, that are available at any given time, will depend on various factors, for example, how many immigrant visas have been approved at consulates abroad, how many I-485 applications have been approved for persons from that country in the U.S. during the prior month, etc. Such factors determine the movement of priority dates and, in turn, will affect the number of I-485 applications that can be filed during the following month after the priority dates are released.

If the Visa Bulletin chart states "C" for a given category and country, that indicates that the numbers are current in the specific employment-based category, whether EB1, EB2, or EB3, and that there is no waiting period for filing the I-485 application. If the numbers are backlogged as indicated on the Visa Bulletin, there will be a date (sometimes called a "cut-off date") mentioned. If the Priority Date is BEFORE the date indicated, then the foreign national is eligible to file the I-485 application for adjustment of status during the particular month when the dates are current.

A question that we at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy are often asked is: What happens now that the Priority Date will regress for my application?If a person has already filed the I-485 application when the dates were current, but then the Visa Bulletin date retrogresses to a date before the priority date, the foreign national would still accrue the benefit of being able to remain in the U.S. with renewable EAD or work authorization and permission to travel, even after completing the six years on H1B status in the U.S. However, the I-485 could not be approved until the date again becomes "current."

[Article updated February 3, 2003.]

See Inline...

navdod said:
Will the same scenario apply for EB2 as well in JAn 05?
If not will happen later in 2005?
... I don't see anything happening to EB2 in Jan 05 but depending upon EB3 date retrogress EB2 might be the next. Lately many have applied in EB2 and that is definitely going to affect dates in future. When/How/What extent, hard to guess.

What is the priority date that UCIS uses to put the I-485 and I-140 in the queue; is it
LC received date @ the SWA or the
LC priority date @ Regional DOL?
... LC received date @ the SWA

What happens when the SWAs and regional DOLs cease to exist in 2005?
... Where did you hear this? You mean they are going to close SWA/Regional DOL.

cheers

Any Any one of you give some details if EB2 or EB3 is determined while filing for Labor Application?

Just curious because when I asked my employer he mentioned that EB2 or EB3 is not determined while filing Labor. "Attroney determines after labor is approved".
What is this supposed to mean?

Thanks a ton

Do any one have an idea, if people who are in 7th year H1B might be waived of this EB3 date retrogression?

Just optimistic.:)

Thanks

the SWAs and Regional DOL will be phased out after the formation of the NPCs in Jan 2005.
When? i dont know.
The DOL won't give a firm date, but has said that SWAs & regional DOLs will not accept new applications starting Jan 2005 and finish working on the applications received before Jan 05.

here is an excerpt...
Immigration News(http://www.usavisanow.com/11-10-04.html)

November 10, 2004

The Assistant Secretary of the Employment and Training Administration (“ETA”) of the Department of Labor (“DOL”) recently issued a Fiscal Year 2005 Transition Guidance memorandum (“TG memo”) to all state workforce agencies (“SWAs”).

The TG memo states that the role of SWAs will be diminished, and labor certification adjudication will be centralized at two national processing centers whether or not the PERM program is implemented.

According to the TG memo, the DOL is proceeding on the assumption that the final PERM regulation will be published before the end of 2004, but outlines a contingency plan in the event the long-awaited PERM regulation is not published.

The TG memo outlines its current 2005 plan, its 2005 contingency plan, the role of the SWAs, and backlog reduction shipment schedules. A summary of these points is as follows:

DOL’s Current Plan:

The final PERM regulation is still pending clearance at the Office of Management and Budget.

If the PERM regulation is published, the SWAs will no longer accept labor certification applications.

After the PERM effective date, the role of the SWA with respect to labor certification review will be limited to prevailing wage determinations.

The TG memo confirms that the DOL is proceeding on the assumption that the final PERM regulation will be published before the end of the 2004 calendar year, and that the new program will be operational within sixty (60) days of the publication date, not 120 days as previously reported by the DOL.

DOL’s Contingency Plan:

The TG memo provides for a contingency plan in the event that the PERM regulation is not published. Regardless of whether PERM is published, the SWA role will change in 2005. Processing will shift from a state-federal system to a primarily federally-administered program.

In July 2004, the DOL published a backlog reduction interim final rule to allow the transfer of labor certification cases pending at either a DOL regional office or a SWA to one or more centralized processing locations. This rule also allows the DOL to consolidate state and federal processing functions in a central location. This permits SWAs to accept cases from employers, but no longer allows them to review applications.

To implement this backlog reduction regulation, the DOL has established two backlog elimination centers, one in Dallas and one in Philadelphia.

The DOL has moved federal staff from DOL regional offices to these two backlog centers.

Both contractor and federal staff training has started, and the TG memo reports that labor certification applications will soon be adjudicated by the backlog reduction centers.

Dallas and Philadelphia will initially process the DOL regional office backlogs and then begin to handle cases currently backlogged at the SWAs.

Work at the backlog reduction centers will be augmented by case processing occurring at the DOL regional offices and the SWAs. The DOL expects the Dallas and Philadelphia backlog centers to complete their work within two years, at which point they will be closed. In addition, the DOL is in the process of establishing national processing centers in Atlanta and Chicago, where all labor certification applications (except for those backlogged cases being processed in Dallas and Philadelphia) will be adjudicated. These national centers are expected to be operational by January 1, 2005. If PERM is not implemented, Atlanta and Chicago will serve as two additional backlog reduction locations.

State Workforce Agency Role:

If the PERM regulation is published, SWAs are instructed to stop accepting labor certification applications sixty-one (61) days after the publication of the regulation.

The DOL will issue specific guidance as to where SWAs will forward remaining applications.

SWAs will continue to accept and review cases until January 1, 2005, at which point, SWAs will not start review of any applications, but simply date stamp and log applications in order to establish a filing date (priority date). After January 1, 2005, cases at SWAs that are in the process of SWA review should be completed and then forwarded to Atlanta or Chicago.

SWAs will continue to accept but not open and review cases filed by employers after January 1, 2005. These applications will be forwarded to either Atlanta or Chicago based upon a schedule to be provided to the SWAs.

SWA cases that are under review up until January 1, 2005, will be sent to the currently assigned DOL regional office.

Backlog Reduction Center Shipment Schedules:

The ETA estimates that by March 31, 2005, all SWA backlog cases will be transferred to one of the backlog reduction centers in Dallas or Philadelphia, or assigned to a DOL regional office for completion of processing.

All cases received at backlog centers will be processed in order of priority date to ensure the oldest cases are worked on first.

Traditional and Reduction in Recruitment (“RIR”) cases will continue to be reviewed in two different tracks at the backlog reduction centers.

The DOL regional office in San Francisco has already transferred 20,000 pending labor certification applications to the backlog centers.

This transfer will assist in reducing the oldest federal backlog of cases. Applications that a regional office has already started to review will not be transferred in order to avoid case disruption.

The first shipment of cases from the SWAs was scheduled in October 2004. This consists of those cases at the state level with the oldest priority dates, regardless of geographic location. Therefore, not all SWAs have been involved in this first round because the DOL’s concentration is focused on the oldest case backlogs.

The final round of case shipments will begin in January 2005, and should be received by the backlog centers no later than the end of March 2005. This will include all cases received by all SWAs prior to December 31, 2004, for which case review has not started.

What this means:

The following points summarize the most significant changes to labor certification processing that will begin on January 1, 2005:

The national processing of labor certification applications will use a first-in, first-out policy, regardless of the location where the case was originally filed in order to apply an equitable and fair approach.

Because of the national processing approach to labor certification review, there will be no processing advantage to filing in one geographical location versus another.

The backlog reduction centers will review cases in order of priority date, and that will benefit the most severely backlogged states: California, New York, and New Jersey.

The 20,000 cases that have been shipped from the San Francisco DOL regional office have not yet been identified, and it is unknown to which backlog reduction center they have been shipped.

As the backlog reduction plan is rolled out, the DOL will send to attorneys of record notification of where cases are being sent, as well as a request for confirmation that the employer intends to continue the application.

If PERM is not implemented, the Atlanta and Chicago national processing centers will serve as two additional backlog reduction sites.

If PERM is not implemented, labor certification applications submitted after January 1, 2005, will continue to be filed with SWAs, and then transferred, in order of priority date, to either a backlog reduction center, or to one of the national processing centers in Atlanta or Chicago.

Cases will be forwarded from SWAs based upon a schedule from the ETA division of DOL.Therefore, cases filed with a SWA after January 1, 2005 will not receive any sort of priority in adjudication.

Substantial and significant reduction in both the traditional and RIR backlogs is expected in 2005, particularly for cases filed in California.

We will provide more information as soon as it becomes available.

After going through your post, looks like role of SWA/SESA will be reduced dramatically but they will exist.

Anyway, I won't care who takes the LC application as long as they properly assigning PD to the petition.

Priority Date when using pre-approved LC

Guys,

what would be my Priority Date if I decide to file I140/485 using a pre-approved LC. This LC is a little old (filed in Jan 1999). What are the chances that I'll be hit by the EB3 date retrogressing ?

Thanks.

Priority Date Question

For my application history please refer to my signature.

Question 1:
I have the I485 application notice (or receipt) in front of me and the priority date column is empty.

I have the I140 application notice (or receipt) in front of me and the priority date column is empty.

I have the I140 approval notice in front of me and the priority date column says May 2004.

Mine is a substitute labor with RD and ND being 9/21/2004 and 9/29/2004. As per what I have read on the forum, my PD should have been 9/21/2004. Then why does the I140 approval notice say that the PD is May 2004?
Did the guys at VSC make a mistake?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Question 2:
I work for CompA and my I140 (with PD being May 2004 as mentioned above) was approved from CompB. CompA has also filed my labor and it is pending at SFO DOL. The PD on CompA labor is June 2002. In a few months, I will be eligible for AC21 portability and I might move the I485 processing to CompA. Under those circumstances, is it possible to have the PD (on the approved I140 mentioned above) changed to June 2002 (based on my labor application which is currently pending @ SFO DOL) from May 2004?

Thanks in advance.

Pareshan4GC

Answer to Question 1: After reading many documents issued by USCIS and/or immigration websites, I think PD is set to I-140 RD in sub-LC cases. But, many users who have gone through sub-LC route stated in this forum that they got "PD=RD of SESA" of original LC.

Answer to Question 2: Hard to answer your question. No one can predict how USCIS works and what are they going to do with the pending petition. You might as well try. who knows.

Pareshan4GC said:
For my application history please refer to my signature.

Question 1:
Mine is a substitute labor with RD and ND being 9/21/2004 and 9/29/2004. As per what I have read on the forum, my PD should have been 9/21/2004. Then why does the I140 approval notice say that the PD is May 2004?
Did the guys at VSC make a mistake?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance.
Can you pl.post your Sub.LC orginal receipt date by SWA or SESA.?

Participant said:
Can you pl.post your Sub.LC orginal receipt date by SWA or SESA.?

I dont know that because I dont have the original LC papers. But I have done a FOIA and I will know that soon.

Substitute Labor

I am planning to use a substitute labor from a different Company. If I apply I-140/I-485 through a substitute labor, will I fall into the same I-485 problem that is going to come into effect in Jan 2005 ?
Also could somebody please tell me whether I can file I-140 and I-485 together immediately with a substitute labor. I am planning to do so in the next couple weeks.

Thanks in advance
Nixrich

See Inline...

nixrich said:
I am planning to use a substitute labor from a different Company. If I apply I-140/I-485 through a substitute labor, will I fall into the same I-485 problem that is going to come into effect in Jan 2005 ?
...May be or May not be. It all depends how USCIS assigns PD to your immigrant petition.

Tell us, "when was original LC applied to SESA/SWA?"

Also could somebody please tell me whether I can file I-140 and I-485 together immediately with a substitute labor. I am planning to do so in the next couple weeks.
... Yes. You have time till end of December.

Thanks in advance
Nixrich

DEAR usnycus ,

i AM KIND OF NEW TO THIS FORUM.
MY LC IS IN DALLAS, PD (4/2004), RIR,EB-2. H-1 ( 2ND YEAR). I AM CONSIDERING CP IN LATER STAGE OF MY GREEN CARD.MY QUESTION IS:
REGARDING THE RETROGRESSION OF VISA BY JAN 2005, HOW IS GOING TO AFFECT MY CASE?KINDLY ADVISE. HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

If you are going for CP for your GC you will be affected just like everyone else.
They will not process your petition until your priority comes up. It will most likely effect people from India, China, Phillipines. Other countries most likely will not be affected.
• When visa number retrogresses, the consular processing of immigrant visa is riskier than I-485 option in that neither EAD nor Advance Parole will be available during the period of visa number unavailable when one opts for the consular processing, while in the I-485 option, the alien will be able to keep obtaining and extending EAD.

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=149322&page=2&pp=15

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with "grunggy' response.

sudmoni said:
DEAR usnycus ,

i AM KIND OF NEW TO THIS FORUM.
MY LC IS IN DALLAS, PD (4/2004), RIR,EB-2. H-1 ( 2ND YEAR). I AM CONSIDERING CP IN LATER STAGE OF MY GREEN CARD.MY QUESTION IS:
REGARDING THE RETROGRESSION OF VISA BY JAN 2005, HOW IS GOING TO AFFECT MY CASE?KINDLY ADVISE. HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

thanks grunggy for your input. But My 6 years for the H1 will be over by june 2009 , and with EB 2 , do u think I may have a chance with CP because I still have 4.5 years of H1 remaining. I know I still has to clear LC then I 140.
thanks again for your help.

Take it easy. You have enough time.

sudmoni said:
thanks grunggy for your input. But My 6 years for the H1 will be over by june 2009 , and with EB 2 , do u think I may have a chance with CP because I still have 4.5 years of H1 remaining. I know I still has to clear LC then I 140.
thanks again for your help.

Need advice

Hello ppl,

I am in the middle of moving companies, and the reason for this is that the new company is ready to file for my GC, which means that i will be starting at the Labor stage. Now i had a few questions that i thought some one might help me clear up.

1) Is the back log service center and the retrogression going to affect me in any way if i apply for my Labor before or after 1st of Jan?

2) Considering my Co is based and is applying from a state and regional that is comparitively faster rather, where there has been a trend of labor certifications getting approved within say 6-8 months, Do i have any benefits of applying for 140-485 just because i started my labor certification before 1st jan 2005?

3) I hear different forums talking about retrogression for 2-3 yrs, in the worst case scenario, if i apply for my Labor say today, i will not be able to apply for 485 (which inturn means i dont get an EAD) till the dates become current, even if my labor gets approved say end of next yr?

4) Is the Labor certification in the quick processing states like NH/Boston etc going to be affected drastically? either at state or federal labor level?

In a nutshell, i need to know if there are any particular benifits either at the Labor stage, 140/or 485 stage that needs for me to apply for Labor before Jan.

I will ofcourse appreciate your input in the matter.

Please help!

Hi usnycus folks,
I have 2 urgent questions and I would really appreciate if you
can answer these for me. My employer is planning to use a preapproved labor
for me and I need to make a decision by the end of this week.

1.He plans to file I-140 from Texas since he claims the labor application
was applied from Florida SWA and Atlanta DOL. Immediately after receiving the I-140 receipt#, he plans to file I-485 from California since he says I reside
in California. He says that this would still be considered a concurrent I140/I485
application. Is it possible to file I-140 from
Texas and then I1485 from California??? Also would this be of any advantage
to me given the fact that I140 & 485 are very slow in Texas but I485 is
pretty fast in the California Service center.

2.Second question...the substitute labor was applied sometime in June 2002
from Florida SWA and approved sometime in June 2003,
would my labor application filing date be my Priority date or would the date of filing my own I140-485 be my priority date?

Please advise...

Regards..