Prediction on weekly receipt update times

Nimche which country are you an asylee from? :(

Your are very funny, listen-up because I will say the same thing next time(s).
I am from I-ran and not an asylee. " . " in this previouse sentence means period which means nothing else. Do you want me to write a book about all asylees and refugee and immigration for all of them for you?
This is Citizenship forum and If you are interested in asylees you can check their board which you can find it in the first page of this poor website.
Next time, I will only answer to True and False questions.
Thanx

I called USCIS today, had to go through all the standard questions just to have a customer service rept tell me that my receipt number doesn't show up online (D'uh, that's why I'm calling you to get more information). He put me on hold and I actually had to tell him that last time I called they weren't able to find my case either and that they transfered me to an IO. It was only after I told him that he placed me on hold again , and then came back to tell me that he would have to transfer me to an IO. After 10 minutes on hold , the IO told me that FP notice was sent out Jan 4th and that I should receive it any day now. The appointment is for end of this month (IO said he believed Jan 30). Leave it up to USICS to send me the FP appointment on the same day I am closing on my house ;) The wait continues...

You should have written all the number you dial to talk to these people. I has always been a hard hour for me to get one of "them"
I wish I was in your shoes(buying a house) nah, I was in your shoes talking to an IO so I could have answered my wife's question(s) about my immigration process.
I hate that status which you don't know what is next and worse than that when is coming to get you.
I found a new hobby for myself, RC cars ( still feel young).

I am from I-ran and not an asylee. " . " in this previouse sentence means period which means nothing else. Do you want me to write a book about all asylees and refugee and immigration for all of them for you?
This is Citizenship forum and If you are interested in asylees you can check their board which you can find it in the first page of this poor website.
Thanx

I made out that were a refugee from Iran fleeing religious prosecution from your previous posts :D

Thanx

Nimche you led us to believe you were an asylee all along. That you first went to austria and then here. Now you tell for first time you are from iran and not an asylee!
I read that turkey - osmani is not such a bad place.

geetha 1 said "I read that turkey - osmani is not such a bad place". Really?
Why don't you move there then geetha1?

I would If I was an asylee. But you are an asylee and so you should have looked into it. I read that Turkey - Osmani is also secular and friend of US.
I think it may be an economic decision on part of some asylees to move to US.
Also I still read that there are no asylees from India. So your friends who say that they are Indian don't really know where they are from - amnesia.
Or you might have mixed up what they told you.

Last edited by a moderator:
name-check query in Dallas TX

Hi
I had my first infopass on 31st Jan and was told that I can not receive my finger print notice until my namecheck/background check is done by FBI.
I was under the impression that these checks only starts after finger print but I was told differently. Anybody knows whats going on???

N400 mailed on 8/20/07 to TSC
Priority date of 8/21/07
NOA received 12/21/07

Namecheck initiated on 12/20/07

infopass on 1/31/2008

Hi
I had my first infopass on 31st Jan and was told that I can not receive my finger print notice until my namecheck/background check is done by FBI.
I was under the impression that these checks only starts after finger print but I was told differently. Anybody knows whats going on???

N400 mailed on 8/20/07 to TSC
Priority date of 8/21/07
NOA received 12/21/07

Namecheck initiated on 12/20/07

infopass on 1/31/2008

I'm afraid you were misinformed. Finger prints have nothing to do with name checks - they are two separate entities.

First of all, name checks are initiated right after the file is received. That part is correct. Technically, so are the finger print requests. I have noticed for TSC that applicants who applied in July have been getting finger print requests for January. Some have waited more than 1 month after the NOA before a FP notice.

Therefore, I would encourage you to call the 800 customer service number and request to speak to an Immigration Officer - NOT to the customer service representatives who answer the line. Since it is the service center that sends out the finger print notices, they would be in a better position to look in the system and let you know whether or not a notice was sent to you. It could be that it was lost in the mail, or your in line to get a notice out soon.

Name check query

ok i got it. But I dont think there is a need to call them again since only last week I have visited USCIS office and asked the IO about this and she spent almost 15 minutes with me to explain the situation. I am wondering does it worth to call FBI about it or to just wait. Any other suggesions from the gurus here will be appreciated!

I'm afraid you were misinformed. Finger prints have nothing to do with name checks - they are two separate entities.

First of all, name checks are initiated right after the file is received. That part is correct. Technically, so are the finger print requests. I have noticed for TSC that applicants who applied in July have been getting finger print requests for January. Some have waited more than 1 month after the NOA before a FP notice.

Therefore, I would encourage you to call the 800 customer service number and request to speak to an Immigration Officer - NOT to the customer service representatives who answer the line. Since it is the service center that sends out the finger print notices, they would be in a better position to look in the system and let you know whether or not a notice was sent to you. It could be that it was lost in the mail, or your in line to get a notice out soon.

I thought namecheck is initiated after you do fingerprints. It seems Lolali is wrong.

I thought namecheck is initiated after you do fingerprints. It seems Lolali is wrong.

No, LolaLi is right. Name check is initiated at the same exact time as the FP notice is issued. All 3 components of the background check (FP, name check, IBIS check) are initiated at the same time from the same computer interface.

No, LolaLi is right. Name check is initiated at the same exact time as the FP notice is issued. All 3 components of the background check (FP, name check, IBIS check) are initiated at the same time from the same computer interface.

How do you know this? Can you refer to the source please?

How do you know this? Can you refer to the source please?

If you had searched the forums before stating some is wrong based on an assumption, you would realize some of us have done extensive research on this subject.
In fact, I not only located USCIS documents (manuals, statements, progress reports, federal registers, etc) detailing the process - I have also personally spoken to 3 IOs at my DO about the process.

Search the forum.

If you had searched the forums before stating some is wrong based on an assumption, you would realize some of us have done extensive research on this subject.
In fact, I not only located USCIS documents (manuals, statements, progress reports, federal registers, etc) detailing the process - I have also personally spoken to 3 IOs at my DO about the process.

Search the forum.

Why don't you put down all the relevant information about fingerprint check/namecheck/Ibis check initiation? It seems some people are waiting longer due to these checks. Like you say you have located USCIS documents. That would be helpful. Thanks. :)

Could namecheck be initiated just sometime after one gets their Notice of Action? BUT Before the fingerprint notice is send? :confused:
May be there is no relation between the time a Name Check is initiated and FP. :confused:

Name-check querry

Folks thanks for this healthy debate on the name check issue. After my own research, I tend to agree with LolaLI and group that name-check is initiated before FP notice is sent out.

However I still do not under this piece of the puzzle. Differenrt applicants have mentioned that they completed FP, Interview and etc but were waiting for name-check clearance to get oath letter. There is also a group of people who got only FP done by Interview letters were pending due to name check. Now I am part of 3rd group who is waiting for FP notice since name-check is pending. Here are few questions.
1-Once I get my FP notice, does it mean both Name check and Background checks are complete or still pending???

2-Which one of the above three group will have to wait least amount of time in the entire process?

Good questions.

As I mentioned on another thread, I have no idea how to measure the times between notifications. If you are correct, than the rest should only be shuffling papers across some desks. The FP check itself should be rather quick.

Still, it confuses me why after the FP some have a really long wait.

The transparency is just missing - sadly

Folks thanks for this healthy debate on the name check issue. After my own research, I tend to agree with LolaLI and group that name-check is initiated before FP notice is sent out.

However I still do not under this piece of the puzzle. Differenrt applicants have mentioned that they completed FP, Interview and etc but were waiting for name-check clearance to get oath letter. There is also a group of people who got only FP done by Interview letters were pending due to name check. Now I am part of 3rd group who is waiting for FP notice since name-check is pending. Here are few questions.
1-Once I get my FP notice, does it mean both Name check and Background checks are complete or still pending???

2-Which one of the above three group will have to wait least amount of time in the entire process?

Based on the information I've read over the past few months, this is what causes discrepancies during the background check process. Prior to May 2007 (I'm not sure if that date is correct), the USCIS scheduled interviews regardless of whether or not the name check was cleared. As a result, an applicant would pass the interview, but the application could not be granted until the name check was cleared. This resulted in many 1447(b) lawsuits against the USCIS. 1447(b) states that the N-400 application must be acted on (either approved or denied) within 120 days of the interview. Needless to say, many of those who have passed the interview, but could not be sworn in due to a pending name check, filed lawsuits in order to compel the USCIS to act on their applications. This led to issuance of an internal USCIS memo that directed the service centers not to schedule interviews for applicants whose name check is still pending. Therefore, prospective citizens who applied after 05/07(???) will no longer receive an IL until the completion of their name check.

As far as the 3rd category goes (waiting for an FP notice while name check is pending), it simply does not exist. All parts of the background check are conducted simultaneously, and an applicant will receive an FP notice regardless of name check status. It just takes some areas of the country longer than others.

I hope that provided some answers.

***UPDATE: I've attached a document that was originally uploaded by LolaLi a few weeks ago (many thanks, LolaLi!). It's an excerpt from the Federal Register, and it does a very good job describing the background check process.

Vorpal
I was told in writing by USCIS IO that my case is pending and I will NOT get FP notice unless FBI completes the name check. Do u thing they are making up stuff??

Vorpal
I was told in writing by USCIS IO that my case is pending and I will NOT get FP notice unless FBI completes the name check. Do u thing they are making up stuff??

Are you serious??? I have never heard of anything like that. The only possible explanation that I can come up with (and it's a long shot) is that USCIS is trying to eliminate the necessity for additional FP appointments, in case an applicant gets stuck in name check. That actually would make sense, come to think of it. However, I received my FP notice at the same time as my NOA. There's no way they could have already completed my name check by the time my NOA was generated. Anyone have any ideas?