Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Tracking

Closed better than in-process?

Sahil2002 said:
Guys -
I would say take some proactive action on these closed cases. There are many cases that PBEC had messed up and closed. I had my case that was closed, I got it re-opened and now is certified fortunately (although I have not received the black and white letter in mail yet). I guess I'm riding some luck here too.
Here are some steps I would suggesstttt -
1) Draft a nice letter highlighting your case #, PD, State, etc etc. Send that letter atleast **2-3** times a WEEK. I would put my PD in bold, big font/letters if my PD is one of the older yrs (like 2001, 2002, etc etc). I may suggesstt to send this letter in a RED or Yellow envelop to grab their attention. Keep your letter short not more than 1/2 page. Will be better if its bulleted - do not write an essay there.
2) Send email to the email address that they had given on the FAQ's released on 7/11 (for cases that were closed).
3) Its a hit or miss ... play the numbers rule. Atleast someone will read your one of your correspondence (letter or mail) and do some action at some point.
4) DO **NOT** rely on your attorney or your company HR - this could be one of the most costlist mistakes you can ever make in this late stage. If you have your case information to draft a letter, do it personally. Attorney's, HR do not give a tiny rat's ass to your case - they have no personal interest in your case irrespective of how much they sympathize with your situation. Sorry excuse my French.

I'll tell you right now that the PBEC is still NOT coordinated their processes. Here's Why - After I saw online that my case was "certified", my HR emailed me that evening that they received another "case closed" letter from PBEC - basically telling us to make another request to reOpen my case. And by this time we had responded atleast 5 times previously via various channels.
So utterly confused; I called the 202# and (re)confirmed that my case is *really* certified (and "reopened" previously before certification). It turns out that - the 202# guy told me that the case was reOpened in late August and then certified couple of days back. So, I have a firm belief that the cases are being reOpened and then processed (depending on your PD). It just so happened that my PD was in the range of processing dates, so they reOpened and Certified the case back-to-back.

You have to make a noise to get thru these bureaucracy. Letters/EMails/PhoneCalls are your best option at this point. Remember, you are really on thin ice at this point. Supply plenty of prior information that you had previously requested to re-open your case. Supply some photo copies of documents to make it look legit.
*** Even if you have not received anything from them previously (like case closed letter and you are only hearing about it now)*** - write in your correspondence to them that you requested previously requested to reOpen the case (on such and such date). I know this step can be a a big BS - but hey - you gotta play BS here, since they are giving you BS and tossing your life like this all over the place. Give it to them - put the ball in their court to reopen your case.

Its not that hard - draft a template for your nice letter and email. Keep mailing them letters every week by just *changing* the date on your letter until they really reOpen your case. Do it now. Fortunately, you've got the online tool now to check your case status.

Remember, take no relent; persist till you succeeddd ... Hope that helps ! Good luck and let us know what happens...

CONGRATS on your certified case! And thank you for your advice.
I'm starting to believe that "closed" is actually better than "in-process"...at least re-opening the case forces them to look at it...And God knows if they will ever get to review it if it's in process. I wonder if your suggested technique is going to work for open cases. At this point, I'll try anything :)

Online status shows certified.

Hi Gurus,

My online status shows as certified.

I used the case number from the screen shot which was sent to me for my 7th Yr H1 extension. This number had 'T' prefixed and I assumed that it will be changed to 'P' after PBEC receives my 45 day letter.

I used the case number by substituting the 'T' with a 'P' to check the status. But, I am still keeping my fingers crossed until I get an official confirmation from my employeer.

Has anybody found that they have a 'T' number which is entairly different the 'P' number ?

BharathNair said:
Hi Gurus,

My online status shows as certified.

I used the case number from the screen shot which was sent to me for my 7th Yr H1 extension. This number had 'T' prefixed and I assumed that it will be changed to 'P' after PBEC receives my 45 day letter.

I used the case number by substituting the 'T' with a 'P' to check the status. But, I am still keeping my fingers crossed until I get an official confirmation from my employeer.

Has anybody found that they have a 'T' number which is entairly different the 'P' number ?

Congratulations!

I am very happy to see some 2002 NJ approvals.

It is correct that, after data entry is empleted letter T has updated with P.

some hope for 2002!

ragini_nj said:
Congratulations!

I am very happy to see some 2002 NJ approvals.

It is correct that, after data entry is empleted letter T has updated with P.

Yup, nice to see 2002 nj approval. We are eager to hear that news :)

CrabCake said:
I'm starting to believe that "closed" is actually better than "in-process"...at least re-opening the case forces them to look at it...And God knows if they will ever get to review it if it's in process. I wonder if your suggested technique is going to work for open cases. At this point, I'll try anything :)

CrabCake,
No no ... having a "closed" case is really not a good thing. Its almost like a `red flag` before they send your papers to a shredder.
I sincerely sympathize with folks that are awaiting patiently from 2001 and 2002. But leaving the emotions aside, and if you put yourself in their (PBEC) shoes, you'll quickly realise that they just have this monster of backlog they are trying to clear up. They have to show progress, manage public relations, please their top bosses and struggle with depleted, incompetent staff (remember immigration analysts are a rare breed). So, PBEC have their own challenges. Hence they came with this case status tool. Speaking of that tool - it is so simple that any joe-blow programmer will be able to write it in less than 1/2 hr. But anyway, coming back to the point.

You have to 'work' the system. In all this bureaucracy, you have to tune in to the so called "WIIFM" channel ("Whats In It For Me" channel). I'm pretty sure that my outlined process will work for older 'In-Process' cases also. Look at it this way - they will keep putting you off till you show them that you exist and you DEMAND justice. So, keep reminding them that you have an old case that you would like them to adjudicate and certify.

Interesting enough - during all this mess (in my case), I had spoken with 202# guys more than 5 times. In my conversation with them, I got them warmed up by asking simple questions and then asked them some probing questions ... like "what about this and what about that", and then "people say this, what's PBEC take on these issues and blah blah blah ...".
It became pretty apparent to me that DOL also knows that they have screwed up big time with BEC's - they had the big picture of clearing the backlog, but no process for it. In some cases in my conversation, these 202# guys had almost confessed (not literally) that we know we are **messed up** but we have good intentions of clearing your labor backlog. Its interesting how you can get someone to `talk` and share some good information.

I understand that the 2001/2002 guys are almost getting robbed and feel violated about all these recent 03 approvals trend. But at the same time you have to realise to ACT and act NOW. Remember, PBEC has picked up the approval steam now. NOW is the time to send letters and get your older cases in front of them. It is extremely likely that some analyst is likely to pay attention to your persistent letters and act on your case now (than it was 3 months before). Play the "rule of numbers", as I said earlier.

I'm pretty sure that the process will work for you, YOU just have to get YOUR case infront of them. For God's sake, our families depend on these stupid labor approvals, so act on it. Its extremely unfortunate; but that's the BEC world we live in. Lastly, remember there's a better day out there we just have to 'find' our way and 'work' towards it; otherwise it ain't gonna just dawn.
Soorryy for the long-winded response. Thanks.

Sahil2002 said:
CrabCake,
No no ... having a "closed" case is really not a good thing. Its almost like a `red flag` before they send your papers to a shredder.
I sincerely sympathize with folks that are awaiting patiently from 2001 and 2002. But leaving the emotions aside, and if you put yourself in their (PBEC) shoes, you'll quickly realise that they just have this monster of backlog they are trying to clear up. They have to show progress, manage public relations, please their top bosses and struggle with depleted, incompetent staff (remember immigration analysts are a rare breed). So, PBEC have their own challenges. Hence they came with this case status tool. Speaking of that tool - it is so simple that any joe-blow programmer will be able to write it in less than 1/2 hr. But anyway, coming back to the point.

You have to 'work' the system. In all this bureaucracy, you have to tune in to the so called "WIIFM" channel ("Whats In It For Me" channel). I'm pretty sure that my outlined process will work for older 'In-Process' cases also. Look at it this way - they will keep putting you off till you show them that you exist and you DEMAND justice. So, keep reminding them that you have an old case that you would like them to adjudicate and certify.

Interesting enough - during all this mess (in my case), I had spoken with 202# guys more than 5 times. In my conversation with them, I got them warmed up by asking simple questions and then asked them some probing questions ... like "what about this and what about that", and then "people say this, what's PBEC take on these issues and blah blah blah ...".
It became pretty apparent to me that DOL also knows that they have screwed up big time with BEC's - they had the big picture of clearing the backlog, but no process for it. In some cases in my conversation, these 202# guys had almost confessed (not literally) that we know we are **messed up** but we have good intentions of clearing your labor backlog. Its interesting how you can get someone to `talk` and share some good information.

I understand that the 2001/2002 guys are almost getting robbed and feel violated about all these recent 03 approvals trend. But at the same time you have to realise to ACT and act NOW. Remember, PBEC has picked up the approval steam now. NOW is the time to send letters and get your older cases in front of them. It is extremely likely that some analyst is likely to pay attention to your persistent letters and act on your case now (than it was 3 months before). Play the "rule of numbers", as I said earlier.

I'm pretty sure that the process will work for you, YOU just have to get YOUR case infront of them. For God's sake, our families depend on these stupid labor approvals, so act on it. Its extremely unfortunate; but that's the BEC world we live in. Lastly, remember there's a better day out there we just have to 'find' our way and 'work' towards it; otherwise it ain't gonna just dawn.

Sahil, thank you so much! And best of luck to you on getting through the rest of the process.

Anybody knows PBEC contact (fax/email)to complain?

I tried to send emails, letters, and faxes to MD Senators and Secretary of DOL. But it seems not working for me at all. Did some MD 2002 cases get mooted? What's the better way? Sigh....
Sahil2002 said:
CrabCake,
No no ... having a "closed" case is really not a good thing. Its almost like a Soorryy for the long-winded response. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
ThirstyFish said:
Yup, nice to see 2002 nj approval. We are eager to hear that news :)

you bet! Compared to the last two year of slumber by the respective departments, any movement is a welcome progress.

Getting the Labour is only a very small part of the battle. The way EB2 and EB3 dates are moving, it seems that it will take years before the dates will reach yr 2004 or 2005. We also need to discuss that what can be done to get the dates moving. Just by getting labour certified we are not going to get GCs.

I agree with Sahil, I have seen this many times over. "The squeaky (noisy) wheel gets the grease". I did the almost the same, a little fraction of what Sahil talks about. Bombard them with letters. Every soul in USA is scared about not responding to repeated requests. Your letter should be strongly worded with factual information, short but not rude at all. That puts them on the spot. Relate Humanly, use words-sentences which illustrate that you have been sincerely and patiently waiting for your labor approval. Offer help, say "Sir (Immigration anaylst) Is there any other information, which you need in order to adjudicate this case. Have it sent by e your employer.
I have a approved LC as of August 28th 2006, and I promise all this will work.
We all need to get out of this mess and we will.

Sahil2002 said:
CrabCake,

amitga said:
Getting the Labour is only a very small part of the battle. The way EB2 and EB3 dates are moving, it seems that it will take years before the dates will reach yr 2004 or 2005. We also need to discuss that what can be done to get the dates moving. Just by getting labour certified we are not going to get GCs.

I won't bother much on future.. Right now I need my LC and want to get-out from this mess first.

Waiting since 4 years........... Most of my friends have their GC's in thier vallets and laughing on my situation.........

Some Suggesstions ...

jack_xie said:
I tried to send emails, letters, and faxes to MD Senators and Secretary of DOL. But it seems not working for me at all. Did some MD 2002 cases get mooted? What's the better way? Sigh....

Jack_Xie,
Here are some pointers. Write it to -
1) Elaine Chao
2) Barbara Shelly - the new PBEC director, after Stefanko was sent to dump.
3) DOL address of Washington, DC.
4) Speaking of Senators or any other non-DOL public person in between - I don't think you have a great chance of getting any response from them since the elections are underway. We are treated just like "second class" citizens and the last thing any senator or public official will want at this time is talk about "immigration (Illegal or Legal)" and open the can of worms for himself. Senators are a waste of time imho now. Currently Immigration is not on anybody's agenda. Face the truth.

Try a small `spam` campaign for PBEC, DOL; as I illustrated before. Hound them with a couple letters every week. Use your creativity to grab their attention on your communication. Use envelop style colored letter or like a 'tri-fold' letter (that's easier to open), etc etc.
Remember, persistence is the key. Sending one or two letters is **NOT** going to cut it. You have send a repeated message to them. Here is what I would do, to make the process little easier -
1) Print the same letter like 10 times (with different varying dates on them)
2) Have all these 10-15 (or whatever # you desire) envelops ready to send out. That way you are not messing with the printer, envelops, postal stamps and that messy glue every week.
3) The idea is to make it easier for YOU to 'spam' *THEM* ...

These are just some basic marketing laws ... but acting on them is the key. If I recollect correctly, I must have contacted PBEC about 10-15 times (letter/emails) to get my case reopened and also spoke with 202# guy quite frequently.
Don't get too excited too early for the end result, as again, it may take a little longer to come to fuition. Just my $.02 - hth !

ragini_nj said:
I won't bother much on future.. Right now I need my LC and want to get-out from this mess first.

Waiting since 4 years........... Most of my friends have their GC's in thier vallets and laughing on my situation.........

Not to forget .. if they recapture the unused visas from previous years and apply that to retrogressed visa quota; we will have to make another "Gone in 60 seconds" movie related to immigration retrogression.

AJ- said:
I agree with Sahil, I have seen this many times over. "The squeaky (noisy) wheel gets the grease". I did the almost the same, a little fraction of what Sahil talks about. Bombard them with letters. Every soul in USA is scared about not responding to repeated requests. Your letter should be strongly worded with factual information, short but not rude at all. That puts them on the spot. Relate Humanly, use words-sentences which illustrate that you have been sincerely and patiently waiting for your labor approval. Offer help, say "Sir (Immigration anaylst) Is there any other information, which you need in order to adjudicate this case. Have it sent by e your employer.
I have a approved LC as of August 28th 2006, and I promise all this will work.
We all need to get out of this mess and we will.

Hi AJ, is there a format you can PM it for me so I can ask my HR to send to PBEC. Thanks

Sahil2002 Thanks for valuable inputs!!!

Hi Sahil,

Where I can find the fax/email addressfor Elaine chao, In case, if you have any templates for emails/fax. That will help many lazy retrogressed guys like me.

I tried Senate.gov but, it 's not showing up for me.

Also, which one is more effective, Mails or Fax.

Thanks,
Inder

CrabCake said:

my case was closed (PD 01/2004) and then reopened 08/22, since then it's under data review, cases around mine are in process or withdrawn. So I'm not sure if it was good to have the case closed as it seems to delay me.