Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Tracking

mvinays said:
I knew they had proposed it for 140, but never knew why it was not finally implemented. If implemented, I would personally pay the premium processing fee and get done with the headache in two weeks.

And thats something your employer doesnt want to happen (well in most cases :rolleyes: at least... you're not gonna be as cheap and as willing once you've got that darn green)

why don't you guys consider the Consular Processing(CP) route for I-140 and your last stage instead of I-485? If you do I-140 with CP option, as of now, most of the applicants have been getting approvals within 1-2 months(at least in the Nebraska center), and then another 6 months to collect your GC from your home country

I don't want to distract the topic from the thread,but just thought i would let you guys know

mvinays said:
I knew they had proposed it for 140, but never knew why it was not finally implemented. If implemented, I would personally pay the premium processing fee and get done with the headache in two weeks.

why don't they do the math?

omnits said:
Dear Dr. XXXXX:

Your letter to Secretary of Labor Elaine L. Chao was referred to this office for reply. The Division of Foreign Labor Certification in the Employment and Training Administration (ETA) is responsible for administering the Department’s Foreign Labor Certification Program.

As part of our efforts to improve the processing of permanent labor certification applications, the State Workforce Agency sent this application to the Philadelphia Backlog Processing Center. The Center informed us it sent a "45-day letter" to the employer or its representative on March 17, 2005, asking if it wished to continue with the processing of the application. The Center received an affirmative response on May 2, 2005.

We regret that there is such a large number of backlogged cases and empathize with your situation. However, in the interest of fairness and consistency, applications are processed in the order of their receipt and cannot be expedited based solely on the needs of individual employers or aliens. This avoids inequities that can arise when attempting to determine the relative merits of literally thousands of applications.

ETA has established two Permanent Program Backlog Centers in accordance with an interim final rule we published in the Federal Register on July 21, 2004. The rule allows us to consolidate state and Federal functions of the application review process into centralized locations. Additional resources were requested from Congress in FY 2005 so that we may continue work on eliminating the backlog. Congress was not able to provide the full amount of funding requested. We estimate with adequate resources, it will take approximately 24-30 months to eliminate the permanent program’s backlog of cases. This new timeframe and consolidated approach to processing favorably compares to our old method which may have required a period of four or more years to reach and process a case.

To further improve the operations of the permanent labor certification program, ETA implemented a new re-engineered permanent labor certification program on March 28, 2005, as published in a final regulation on December 27, 2004. We believe the new program will improve services to our various stakeholders.

I hope that this information is helpful.
30 monthes + 3 or 4 years waiting time before tansferred to BEC= 6 to 7 years for a LC!!! If previously take 4 or 5 years, BEC is even longer!

luckylucky said:
:mad: Why didn't they raise application fee if they have no money to hire more people. I am even want to pay $1,000 from my own pocket to them if they can use that money to hire more people in BEC and shorten my LC time by one year. I think most of the folks here can afford it also. :mad:
I cannot afford. But if they are going to charge that much, I guess I have no other way around. The problem is they have to install another system, assign people to count the money and type into the computer that the fee has received rather than only check if University of Pennsylvania actually exists.

pennwaiting said:
I cannot afford. But if they are going to charge that much, I guess I have no other way around. The problem is they have to install another system, assign people to count the money and type into the computer that the fee has received rather than only check if University of Pennsylvania actually exists.
well, thinking of people working there are only kindergarden graduate, you bet!

pennwaiting said:

If money is the only problem then I got a better suggestion than raising the legal fees; many companies with similar tight budget situation have considered outsourcing to India. So if BECs are running out of money they might consider looking into this option :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The letter is the same as that I got a month ago, signed by William L. Carlson, Ph. D., Chief of Division of Foreign Labor Certification.

It is better than nothing. I got 45-day letter after sending letter.

What we should do now is
(1) Continue to send letter to DOL, I believe only few of us did. I hope tons of letter flood Chao's mail box.
However we need to add some points in the letter
Confirm whether it is a policy of DOL to delay LC, my feeling is probably yes.
Show some data to demonstrate the backlog is not caused by increase of application, but by the decrease of processing rate. The processed case in 2004 is about half of 2003 or 2002 or 2001.
Assuming DOL top guy don't understand what happened, I believe they don't know. The database published by DOL is a good source.
(2) Send letter to President, congressman and Media, let everyone know how the DOL works, how they waste money of tax payer, the point is just complain the low efficiency of DOL and to gain sympathy.

BPC Data Entry Update

Latest data entry numbers:

September 10,000
October 20,000
November 16,000
December 1,000
January 37,800
February 5,200
March 4,000
April (as of April 27) 21,100

Total - as of April 27 is 116,000 cases

Disclaimer: Yes I know if you add up the numbers it doesn't add up to 116,000. I am rounding month by month numbers.

This is for BOTH Backlog Centers. Sorry there is no way to split up entry by Backlog Center.

These are cases entered into the system and not 45-day letter counts.

Wboyi said:
The letter is the same as that I got a month ago, signed by William L. Carlson, Ph. D., Chief of Division of Foreign Labor Certification.

It is better than nothing. I got 45-day letter after sending letter.

What we should do now is
(1) Continue to send letter to DOL, I believe only few of us did. I hope tons of letter flood Chao's mail box.
However we need to add some points in the letter
Confirm whether it is a policy of DOL to delay LC, my feeling is probably yes.
Show some data to demonstrate the backlog is not caused by increase of application, but by the decrease of processing rate. The processed case in 2004 is about half of 2003 or 2002 or 2001.
Assuming DOL top guy don't understand what happened, I believe they don't know. The database published by DOL is a good source.
(2) Send letter to President, congressman and Media, let everyone know how the DOL works, how they waste money of tax payer, the point is just complain the low efficiency of DOL and to gain sympathy.

We could use your help. We've already started a letter campaign, we're sending letters to as many senators as we can. We're hoping to collect at least 100 signed letters... please go here for more.

Maybe we can help each other.

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=173573&page=1

JustWatching said:
Latest data entry numbers:

September 10,000
October 20,000
November 16,000
December 1,000
January 37,800
February 5,200
March 4,000
April (as of April 27) 21,100

Total - as of April 27 is 116,000 cases

Disclaimer: Yes I know if you add up the numbers it doesn't add up to 116,000. I am rounding month by month numbers.

This is for BOTH Backlog Centers. Sorry there is no way to split up entry by Backlog Center.

These are cases entered into the system and not 45-day letter counts.
According to this speed, they need another year to complete data entry, if the total case is 300k. I am sure they can't complete it in a year.

My God, how much money they cost for only data entry in 2 years?
10million$, or more?
If those data entry were sent to China or India, it just need one month or less.
Now we understood why the government always have a budget problem.

How long to entry one case?
Your name, address, occupation, company/attorney's name, address, case number, ...
I believe 30 minute is enough (including coffee time, chatting time, music time, and internet time), one guy can input 16 case/day, 352case/per month,
How many workers over there?

It's a great job to do data entry for DOL, Does anyone here apply it?

In 2002, they processed 6000 case/per month!
What's going on now! Unbelievable!

Guys, its good idea to meet at "Menlo park" park at Edison, NJ this saturday around noon, to discuss our course of action. We have to act quickly when iron is hot. I am sure lot of people working in NY commute from NJ. Edison is accessible from Morristown to Jersey City to South Jersey. Spidey or somebody can held similar meeting at King of Prussia, so we will have two chapters working simultaneously, one NJ and other PA.

If we get sufficient response, we will go and set the meeting up. Once we set meeting we have to be quick spread word around because we only have 3 more days to market. Please make sure you pass on our effort to your colleague or friend who are in similar situation but don't care. Just think of it and you will come up with 10-20 victims who will attend the meeting. I am ready to meet even if we can get together 10 victims.

Wboyi said:
According to this speed, they need another year to complete data entry, if the total case is 300k. I am sure they can't complete it in a year.

My God, how much money they cost for only data entry in 2 years?
10million$, or more?
If those data entry were sent to China or India, it just need one month or less.
Now we understood why the government always have a budget problem.

How long to entry one case?
Your name, address, occupation, company/attorney's name, address, case number, ...
I believe 30 minute is enough (including coffee time, chatting time, music time, and internet time), one guy can input 16 case/day, 352case/per month,
How many workers over there?

It's a great job to do data entry for DOL, Does anyone here apply it?

In 2002, they processed 6000 case/per month!
What's going on now! Unbelievable!

well it seems that just entering data will take in total around 2 yrs :at the current speed they need at least another 1 yr and they already spent 8 months, so we r talking about 2 yrs total for just data entry. this is a joke.

data entry takes less time than processing, so if data entry took 2 yrs how long the processing will take? 5 yrs? this is really ridiculous.

they stopped processing cases since last august and on top of that they introduced PERM which is another mess where, after 1.5 months no single appilcation was approved. they say there r glitches in the program,but they were not supposed to try it first before using it? what a DOL!!!!!!! this administration simply wants legal people to get desperate and leave whereas they r pushing hard to legalise the illegals, it is really a shame and aginst logic.

GCSyndrome said:
If money is the only problem then I got a better suggestion than raising the legal fees; many companies with similar tight budget situation have considered outsourcing to India. So if BECs are running out of money they might consider looking into this option :D

In that case our friends at India (who has not even applied LC :cool: ) will get Labor Certification in few days.. :D Good thing is I can travel back home, Pay some X amount & get my LC in an Hour ! :p