• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Personal opinions please About life in USA

OK well as I said before, a few years in age make a huge difference - and at your ages there is plenty of motivation to move to the USA. You say you are in IT consulting - well that is pretty broad so its difficult to be precise about work opportunity, but of course there are plenty of good jobs in IT centric places such as SF Bay area for example. As I tried to explain in my earlier posts, my wife and I both had good jobs, and life in the UK was great - we were doing very nicely, but America is just a little bit better on most comparisons. For us the weather (which is really about lifestyle) is what makes it very different.

What is the best approach to learning the American way and integrating ourselves into the culture?
Americans are very friendly, but a bit superficial, in my opinion. So - you can make friends easily but you have to work at it. It is best to make friends in the local area, so school friends, neighbors, country/golf/tennis clubs, church - all those things will help get you settled in.

How difficult is work to come by?
Pretty easily really. I think from previous posts you both have UK background. Yanks drool over the British accent and will assume you are smart and always tell the truth. So that gives you a headstart!

Would you recommend permanent or contracting work?
I did very well from contracting, but it depends on your skillset/niche market and the rates available for what you do. If you can network with people over here that can help. However, it may be wise to take a job to start with so the bills are paid while you build contacts and figure out day to day stuff.

What is the difference in tax position?
Similar to the UK. Perm jobs mean payroll taxes are witheld (like PAYE). Contracting you typically form a corporation and work for that corp. Contracting has tax advantages of course, as well as higher pay anyway.

What are the major expenses in the opening years?
Workwise or lifewise? For work as an IT contractor you don't mean much. For life outside of work you need a home, cars, furniture and so on - I posted about that somewhere - I'll try and find that.

How do you cover healthcare for the family?
If you take a job in IT, most companies will provide a full benefits package which typically includes good healthcare plans (my company provided a shopping list of various benefits with subsidized cost - so I could choose a $2000/month healthcare package and my cost is 200 - 300 per month. If you have to buy your own healthcare package you can get Obamacare packages very easily. I was paying about $1000 per month for a midrange plan (you can't get subsidies once your income goes over about $90/100k). Those healthcare plans all have some annoying charges - like $40 for every doctors visit. The higher the monthly cost, the less you pay of those charges.

Would you recommend renting or buying property?
Buy as soon as you can. It might take 6 months to a year to establish good enough credit history - ideally open a secured credit card over here now to begin that process. So - you will rent for the first year - take that time to figure out the areas and then buy after that year.

When do I need to start thinking about school for the 2 year?
Kids start school later here, but even so - plan early. The access to school is by catchment areas and therefore houses in good catchment areas carry a premium. You'll need to choose well to get the best school...

A couple of last things. I assume you activated your Green Card earlier this year - so you will have tax reporting liability for 2014 and may need to submit the FBAR report next summer. Don't fail to do those things.

Also make sure you use a forex broker to move money over here - makes a huge difference.

Many thanks for the prompt and comprehensive response. I had intended to rent for the first year and, in the meantime, rent out our UK flat. My mortgage is low so the profit alone would cover my rent in the USA. However, cross-border tax considerations and the new UK capital gains tax rules coming in April 2015 are making me think twice I'm considering selling up in the Uk and buying in the USA as soon as possible.

I contract here in the UK and am considering doing the same in the USA. However, I am slightly concerned by the cost of healthcare plans in the USA, particularly as I'd have to cover my entire family. Given that most companies will offer healthcare as part of their benefits packages, is it still worthwhile contracting?

Finally, what exactly do you mean by activated my Green Card? We were selected by the DV Lottery late last year. We travelled to Miami and submitted our paperwork to immigration at the airport. Our green cards were sent to our "US address" some months later and forwarded to us the UK. We're heading back to the US next week, this time with green cards in tow. This trip will be a fact finding mission, the next will be permanent. At what point is our Green Card activated?

Many thanks!

Many thanks for the prompt and comprehensive response. I had intended to rent for the first year and, in the meantime, rent out our UK flat. My mortgage is low so the profit alone would cover my rent in the USA. However, cross-border tax considerations and the new UK capital gains tax rules coming in April 2015 are making me think twice I'm considering selling up in the Uk and buying in the USA as soon as possible.

I contract here in the UK and am considering doing the same in the USA. However, I am slightly concerned by the cost of healthcare plans in the USA, particularly as I'd have to cover my entire family. Given that most companies will offer healthcare as part of their benefits packages, is it still worthwhile contracting?

Finally, what exactly do you mean by activated my Green Card? We were selected by the DV Lottery late last year. We travelled to Miami and submitted our paperwork to immigration at the airport. Our green cards were sent to our "US address" some months later and forwarded to us the UK. We're heading back to the US next week, this time with green cards in tow. This trip will be a fact finding mission, the next will be permanent. At what point is our Green Card activated?

Many thanks!

Contracting in the USA is still going to beat a perm job IF you can stay on contract for a large part of the year. As long as you have an "in demand" skillset, that shouldn't be a problem. For a company to employee you their costs will be wrapped in to your overall cost. Numbers could work out something like this

Perm job
Example Salary - $120k
Cost of that salary to the company - $150/160k (cost of benefits etc included)

Contracting (same role, assuming little downtime)
Contract rate $4k per week (some contracts will pay more or less depending on skills)

So - if you work 48 weeks a year - that would be $192k - Could you pay for your own benefits with the $72k difference - of course.

I understand your point about keeping the apartment or not. Existing rules would allow you to sell in the UK in the first 3 years and still not get him by CGT as it is your primary main residence. That can overlap for 3 years - so unless the CGT rules have changed dramatically you might be ok for CGT. The rental covering rent over here - that depends where you live. In cheaper parts of the US you can get a place for 1500/month, but where we are our 3 bed townhome costs $3k per month.

Now for the Green Card activation - actually I used the lazy term GC activation I should have used the correct term which is LPR status activation. When you entered Miami and did the paperwork in 2013 you actually became LPRs at that time and should have completed a tax return for 2013! You should also have filed an FBAR in the summer - so actually you may have some problems to sort out. USA want worldwide income to be reported so whilst you may not have to pay extra tax, you should have reported it anyway. Sorry, but it sounds like you've made a mistake by not checking all that. You should probably get an accountant immediately to sort that out. If you also failed to do any simplification of your tax position in the UK you might have some complex calculations also as you now have to consider not on the profits on things such as shares/ISAs and so on but also the currency gains on investments. It can be a mess. I actually liquidated all my ISAs and stock ownership early purely to simplify the calculations. ISAs by the way are recognized as tax free in the UK but profits in them are taxable in the USA (and as I mentioned you may have made currency profits).

You are also expected to take up residence in the USA. So other have entered to activate LPR status as you did and then it is acceptable to leave for up to 12 months (particularly the first time) However, you are not supposed to leave the USA for more than 12 months at a time without applying for a re-entry permit, and you may be asked to prove that you maintained a home in the USA. Not so much to this point but that will be a consideration after this upcoming trip.

Contracting in the USA is still going to beat a perm job IF you can stay on contract for a large part of the year. As long as you have an "in demand" skillset, that shouldn't be a problem. For a company to employee you their costs will be wrapped in to your overall cost. Numbers could work out something like this

Perm job
Example Salary - $120k
Cost of that salary to the company - $150/160k (cost of benefits etc included)

Contracting (same role, assuming little downtime)
Contract rate $4k per week (some contracts will pay more or less depending on skills)

So - if you work 48 weeks a year - that would be $192k - Could you pay for your own benefits with the $72k difference - of course.

I understand your point about keeping the apartment or not. Existing rules would allow you to sell in the UK in the first 3 years and still not get him by CGT as it is your primary main residence. That can overlap for 3 years - so unless the CGT rules have changed dramatically you might be ok for CGT. The rental covering rent over here - that depends where you live. In cheaper parts of the US you can get a place for 1500/month, but where we are our 3 bed townhome costs $3k per month.

Now for the Green Card activation - actually I used the lazy term GC activation I should have used the correct term which is LPR status activation. When you entered Miami and did the paperwork in 2013 you actually became LPRs at that time and should have completed a tax return for 2013! You should also have filed an FBAR in the summer - so actually you may have some problems to sort out. USA want worldwide income to be reported so whilst you may not have to pay extra tax, you should have reported it anyway. Sorry, but it sounds like you've made a mistake by not checking all that. You should probably get an accountant immediately to sort that out. If you also failed to do any simplification of your tax position in the UK you might have some complex calculations also as you now have to consider not on the profits on things such as shares/ISAs and so on but also the currency gains on investments. It can be a mess. I actually liquidated all my ISAs and stock ownership early purely to simplify the calculations. ISAs by the way are recognized as tax free in the UK but profits in them are taxable in the USA (and as I mentioned you may have made currency profits).

You are also expected to take up residence in the USA. So other have entered to activate LPR status as you did and then it is acceptable to leave for up to 12 months (particularly the first time) However, you are not supposed to leave the USA for more than 12 months at a time without applying for a re-entry permit, and you may be asked to prove that you maintained a home in the USA. Not so much to this point but that will be a consideration after this upcoming trip.

OK so contracting sounds pretty lucrative in the USA as long as you're engaged most of the year. Using your example, I assume tax liabilities will not dampen the position too much?

CGT on properties owned by those who live abroad is changing in the UK from April 2015. Any positive equity made after this date will be taxed at 40%. This new initiative is designed to target foreign investors who snapped up property in London only to leave them empty for the majority of the year. Unfortunately even though I was born in the UK, when I move to the USA I will be considered a foreign investor.

LPR status activation was something I was completely unaware of! It sounds like I have some catching up to do and will have to consider liquidating my shares.

I am aware of the 12 month rule, hence our forthcoming trip. Last year my case was left in administrative processing until the 11th hour, leaving us with less than a month to move to the USA. Clearly this wasn't enough time so immigration were quite sympathetic to our situation. Shortly after our return to the UK my wife fell pregnant and mother fell ill. We decided it was in our best interests to give birth here whilst helping my mum recover. Consequently this trip will be a fact finding mission with a view to moving permanently within 6 months. Do you think we are likely to be interrogated by immigration next week or will it be more of a consideration on the next trip? Would you recommend getting a credit card or opening a bank account on this visit?

OK so contracting sounds pretty lucrative in the USA as long as you're engaged most of the year. Using your example, I assume tax liabilities will not dampen the position too much?

CGT on properties owned by those who live abroad is changing in the UK from April 2015. Any positive equity made after this date will be taxed at 40%. This new initiative is designed to target foreign investors who snapped up property in London only to leave them empty for the majority of the year. Unfortunately even though I was born in the UK, when I move to the USA I will be considered a foreign investor.

LPR status activation was something I was completely unaware of! It sounds like I have some catching up to do and will have to consider liquidating my shares.

I am aware of the 12 month rule, hence our forthcoming trip. Last year my case was left in administrative processing until the 11th hour, leaving us with less than a month to move to the USA. Clearly this wasn't enough time so immigration were quite sympathetic to our situation. Shortly after our return to the UK my wife fell pregnant and mother fell ill. We decided it was in our best interests to give birth here whilst helping my mum recover. Consequently this trip will be a fact finding mission with a view to moving permanently within 6 months. Do you think we are likely to be interrogated by immigration next week or will it be more of a consideration on the next trip? Would you recommend getting a credit card or opening a bank account on this visit?

Interesting point about the CGT changes - I'll await the outcome with interest - I still own my house there. However, putting the tax change in perspective, Keeping the house there is an investment, so realistically I expected to pay some tax on it somewhere. If I escaped UK tax on it I would simply have paid more US tax - so in a sense - that hasn't changed.

You are too late to liquidate your shares for simplification. You would have had to do that much earlier. The annoying bit is working out the currency profit. So - lets imagine you invested 10k pounds in an ISA. 4 years ago. That is now worth 20k and is UK tax free. The USA tax position is the 10k calculated in $ at the exchange rate at the point of your investment 4 years ago and the 20k calculated in $ at the exchange rate on the day of sale. Imagine you have to do that on a bunch of small monthly investments over a period of time. Yuk.

You should be ok on this re-entry - and maybe on the next re-entry too. In theory you can be questioned any time you leave the US and return. You have explanations of how your plans changed, so you should be ok. You absolutely should open a bank account and credit card account if you can. You will need your SSN and an address. You may not be able to get a normal credit card, so open a secured credit card (you deposit an amount of money - and they give you a credit card with a limit to match your deposit). Open the CC account and use it for small purchases even while you are in the UK. So - you will be paying that off and that will begin to build your credit history which will be important upon your return....

Not entirely clear to me why you only had a month to enter, but anyway.... You've obviously been out of the US for the better part of a year now since you did. Expect to get some questions and possibly a mini lecture about residency requirements. I don't think there will be any major issues, given your explanations, but you could be left feeling quite uncomfortable by the end of it and you may get a warning that you need to make the move properly relatively soon. I went back in after 6 months, got the above and was told by the CBP officer that they realise moving takes a while but they generally expect you to have settled within about a year after activating LPR status.

You are too late to liquidate your shares for simplification. You would have had to do that much earlier. The annoying bit is working out the currency profit. So - lets imagine you invested 10k pounds in an ISA. 4 years ago. That is now worth 20k and is UK tax free. The USA tax position is the 10k calculated in $ at the exchange rate at the point of your investment 4 years ago and the 20k calculated in $ at the exchange rate on the day of sale. Imagine you have to do that on a bunch of small monthly investments over a period of time. Yuk.
QUOTE]

My understanding of cross-border tax arrangements is I have to spend at least x days in the year in the USA before I'm liable to pay the IRS. Are you saying that I will have to pay them something or that I am obliged to submit returns even if I owe nothing and haven't been in the country?

Yep - your understanding is incorrect. The day you activated your LPR status you became obliged to file tax returns on your worldwide income (so that meant your first return was due for 2013). There are tax reciprocity deals in place for some countries for the actual tax paid - but everything needs to be compared and calculated on US rules. Ignorance of the rule is not a defense. A couple of links to start you off....

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Income-from-Abroad-is-Taxable

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw...by-for-tax-on-residence-not-worldwide-income/

Not entirely clear to me why you only had a month to enter, but anyway.... You've obviously been out of the US for the better part of a year now since you did. Expect to get some questions and possibly a mini lecture about residency requirements. I don't think there will be any major issues, given your explanations, but you could be left feeling quite uncomfortable by the end of it and you may get a warning that you need to make the move properly relatively soon. I went back in after 6 months, got the above and was told by the CBP officer that they realise moving takes a while but they generally expect you to have settled within about a year after activating LPR status.

As I stated earlier, my case was placed in administrative processing for a long time. By the time the US Embassy reached a decision they could only provide a temporary visa for 1 month. Consequently we had to arrange our trip in a hurry. We have to activate our new arrival on this next trip so I fully expect some questions. However I'm confident we have acceptable mitigating factors and will take proof. The bottom line is we want to move at the right time so we can hit the ground running and not be a burden to the US State.

Yep - your understanding is incorrect. The day you activated your LPR status you became obliged to file tax returns on your worldwide income (so that meant your first return was due for 2013). There are tax reciprocity deals in place for some countries for the actual tax paid - but everything needs to be compared and calculated on US rules. Ignorance of the rule is not a defense. A couple of links to start you off....

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Income-from-Abroad-is-Taxable

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw...by-for-tax-on-residence-not-worldwide-income/

Thanks for this and all your advice. I'll get on it.

One thing I'm unsure of is the position regarding our new baby. We understand that as a dependent she will also receive a green card. However we are unsure of 2 things:
(1) Do we have to apply and pay for this visa before we travel?
(2) If not, will she require an ESTA to enter?

One thing I'm unsure of is the position regarding our new baby. We understand that as a dependent she will also receive a green card. However we are unsure of 2 things:
(1) Do we have to apply and pay for this visa before we travel?
(2) If not, will she require an ESTA to enter?

There is a procedure for that explained in law and then a nicer version below. So the answers to your questions are no and no. You might want to check that your airline understand the rules - and print out the FAM notes below to explain. They are responsible for people arriving without proper visas - so they are picky sometimes.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87519.pdf

http://tirana.usembassy.gov/born_to_lpr.html (Don't worry that it is a specific embassy - the advice applies to your scenario. )

There is a procedure for that explained in law and then a nicer version below. So the answers to your questions are no and no. You might want to check that your airline understand the rules - and print out the FAM notes below to explain. They are responsible for people arriving without proper visas - so they are picky sometimes.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87519.pdf

http://tirana.usembassy.gov/born_to_lpr.html (Don't worry that it is a specific embassy - the advice applies to your scenario. )

Many thanks for this information, that makes life easier. What exactly do they mean by "Either accompanying parent is applying for readmission upon first return after the birth of the child. " Do we have to make a formal application of some sort or is our reentry tantamount to an application for readmission?

Also we want to change our US address. Is this best done online through USCIS or can we request this at airport immigration when our baby is being registered?

Many thanks for this information, that makes life easier. What exactly do they mean by "Either accompanying parent is applying for readmission upon first return after the birth of the child. " Do we have to make a formal application of some sort or is our reentry tantamount to an application for readmission?

Also we want to change our US address. Is this best done online through USCIS or can we request this at airport immigration when our baby is being registered?

Yes, when you go through immigration you are applying for re-admission.

I would do the address change through the USCIS website.

Your understanding of # of days in the US would have been valid if the substantial presence test was the appropriate one, but it's not, the green card test is - and that requires only one day in the US.

As I stated earlier, my case was placed in administrative processing for a long time. By the time the US Embassy reached a decision they could only provide a temporary visa for 1 month. Consequently we had to arrange our trip in a hurry. We have to activate our new arrival on this next trip so I fully expect some questions. However I'm confident we have acceptable mitigating factors and will take proof. The bottom line is we want to move at the right time so we can hit the ground running and not be a burden to the US State.

I'm confused by what you mean by "activate our new arrival"?

Also it may make sense to you to hit the ground running financially. The CBP officer I encountered on entry was clearly not very happy with the fact that I had been working outside the US while on a green card. Just be aware that your answers may be seen through a different prism.

I'm confused by what you mean by "activate our new arrival"?

I'm referring to our baby girl who was born whilst we've been outside the USA.

Also it may make sense to you to hit the ground running financially. The CBP officer I encountered on entry was clearly not very happy with the fact that I had been working outside the US while on a green card. Just be aware that your answers may be seen through a different prism.

I don't know your story so it's difficult to compare, nevertheless I appreciate the heads up. We certainly we won't take anything for granted and will prepare for a grilling by getting our explanation straight and taking proofs with us (e.g. birth certificate for new baby). The bottom line is I have a contract to fulfill (who I will depend on for a reference in the USA), a business to wind down, a property to sell/rent out, a car to sell, a new arrival, an ill mother plus all the other usual bits associated with emigrating like selling possessions, closing accounts, saying goodbye to friends and family, etc. That little lot doesn't happen overnight. I think this is what makes going out in your 40s/50s/beyond more difficult because you've laid roots. Had I been in my 20s (single, no kids, renting, starting out in my career) I could go at the drop of a hat.

I'm referring to our baby girl who was born whilst we've been outside the USA.

I don't know your story so it's difficult to compare, nevertheless I appreciate the heads up. We certainly we won't take anything for granted and will prepare for a grilling by getting our explanation straight and taking proofs with us (e.g. birth certificate for new baby). The bottom line is I have a contract to fulfill (who I will depend on for a reference in the USA), a business to wind down, a property to sell/rent out, a car to sell, a new arrival, an ill mother plus all the other usual bits associated with emigrating like selling possessions, closing accounts, saying goodbye to friends and family, etc. That little lot doesn't happen overnight. I think this is what makes going out in your 40s/50s/beyond more difficult because you've laid roots. Had I been in my 20s (single, no kids, renting, starting out in my career) I could go at the drop of a hat.

Precisely. And I had similar kinds of explanations even though I had not even been out for 6 months. All I was trying to point out that what seems obvious reasons to you, to a CBP officer may just mean "this person is not maintaining residence"... And at least I could also point to having my tax affairs up to date with the IRS. So expect some sternness and a warning about residency requirements. If the warning makes it as far as being written into your passport (it didn't for me but I know it has for other people) then you can take that as a bigger warning... The next time you enter it will be even tougher if you have been out for any length of time.

The CBP officer actually told me they understand people have stuff to organise, but they expect you to have made the move properly within a year of activating. From what you have said, you are at that year but still only planning on a quick trip. I'm not trying to scare you but I do think you should be prepared for some hard questions...even a more lenient CBP officer may still ask you some hard questions.

The CBP officer I encountered on entry was clearly not very happy with the fact that I had been working outside the US while on a green card. Just be aware that your answers may be seen through a different prism.
How did the officer figure out that you had been working outside the US? Did you just tell him, and in what context? Were you asked to present some papers at POE, when arriving after the 6-month absence?

Last edited:
How did the officer figure out that you had been working outside the US? Did you just tell him, and in what context? Were you asked to present some papers at POE, when arriving after the 6-month absence?

Don't you think it's common sense that if you have been out for that long after a two-week activation visit and that you are entering on a return ticket, you are probably working outside? He asked me - where are you working now? To which I answered the truth - that it was outside the US but that i had given notice (I did give about 5 months notice). Not sure what you mean by presenting "papers", I showed my green card and passport.

Good Day All

I am getting very excited as the 1st of October is almost on our doorstep! :)

However I have a Huge concern. And I would like to hear from people who have won the DV Lottery in the past. I am 38 years old and my husband 61 years old. We have a fairly comfortable live here in our home country. Have jobs, cars and a home, still paying on 1 car, the home, 2 creditcards and 1 store card. The usual debt people have, and we really can afford to travel locally and eat out atleast 3 times a week. So we really living a good life.

However I ALWAYS had the dream and desire to live in the States. I dont want to give up on this dream now out of fear and one day when I am old and grey regret not taking the opportunity. So my questions are:
Is it wise for us to do such a radical move with my husband already being a senior?
What is American culture like interms of older people? Will he still get work in USA?
Is it wise to chase after a dream and give up on your comfortable reality?
And how many of you that won the Lottery are success stories? And please tell me your different ages and types of jobs you have in the USA?

All replies are greatly appreciated.

Hope to hear from you soon.