Pakistani and US citizenships/passports

scarlethawk

Registered Users (C)
Looks like Pakistani government doesn't mind keeping both passports. I am planning to travel into Pakistan on Pakistani passport and on the way back enter the US on US passport. Any experiences? Problems?

Should be a non-issue with either crossing. You can also use your US passport to enter Pakistan if you have a NICOP or POC.

Dual USA/Pakistani citizens cannot use pakistani passport to enter pakistan. They need either NICOP/POC or the Pakistani visa. I have heard from many people who were denied boarding in U.S because of this issue ( they were using Pakistani passport as proof of dual citizenship while traveling to Pakistan).
I also checked with the Pakistani embassy and they told me that for a short time they allowed using Pakistani Passport along with U.S passport to enter Pakistan. But now you need either NICOP/POC or Pakistani visa. You are still allowed to keep a Pakistani Passport ( it does not do any good for entry purposes). This is a strange policy and does not make any sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
MJA,
I have to disagree with you for two reasons. Firstly my father worked for the Pakistani foreign service for 34 years and recently retired as Ambassador. Part of his duties were consular affairs and he was part of the panel that finalised the list of countries where Pakistanis can enjoy dual citizenship.
Secondly, my entire family (parents/siblings) visited Pakistan in 2004 and 2005 and had no issues entering on Pakistani passports, visas and NICOPs. My family comprises Pakistani Americans, Pakistani Canadians and Pakistani Britons.

Also have a look at:-.

http://www.embassyofpakistanusa.org/nicop.php

It clearly states that one can choose either a Pakistani passport or POC.
NICOP is now a must for all Pakistanis living in the US, that includes those with US citizenship too. I reckon the "local" staff at the Embassy is probably ignorant and gave you incorrect/incomplete information. It could be just a ploy to make you get a POC. They make $100 on a POC and just $15 on a NICOP. Infact the Pakistani consulate in Toronto has 3 NADRA officers posted there just to produce MRPs for NICOP and POC holders. One can get an MRP by showing your US or Canadian passport and NICOP.

Someone denied boarding shows ignorance of the airline staff, not the policy of Pakistani immigration.

Embassy people might have given me wrong information but my travel agent told me that PIA does not let anyone board their flights who are trying to use Pakistani Passports with their U.S passports to enter Pakistan. According to him PIA requires either NICOP or Pakistani visa otherwise they will deny boarding.

MJA,
Don't get me started on PIA :) I haven't flown with them since 1993 for a reason.
Firstly, why are these passengers presenting both passports? All PIA needs to do is ensure that passengers have documents to enter Pakistan. No more, no less. I know that airlines collect I-94s on behalf of DHS, so if a certain Pakistani passport does not have one, that is the end of it. PIA has no business asking the passengers any additional information once a passenger has shown a valid document for entering Pakistan. In late 2005 I flew from JFK to Karachi via DXB. The Emirates staff at JFK looked at my Canadian passport (I was breaking my journey in DXB for 20 hours) to ensure that I can enter Dubai visa free. He then issues me boarding passes for both flights. I casually asked him, "Aren't you going to check if I can enter Pakistan"? He goes, "Sir, I am not an immigration officer, but I can see your place of birth on your passpost is Karachi, good enough for me" :)

I agree with you. It does not make any sense to allow dual citizenship and then not allow using your passport to enter the country. I guess it is always hard to find the right answer from Pakistan Embassy in U.S., they hardly attend any phone calls. I have both NICOP and Pakistani passport so I will keep both with my U.S. passport.

MJA,
Just curious, you have the old style passport or got the new MRP? I will be getting my MRP next week when I visit Toronto. I think in the US, only the New York consulate is issuing MRPs.

I called the Pakistani counslate here in Chicago, and they said I was the fifth person to call yesterday about this issue. There line is that government of Pakistan has no problems with me keeping both passports and using Pakistani passport to enter Pakistan but if I wanted to I can get a 5-year visa by shelling out 120 bucks and that will enable me to travel on one passport. I am not sure why they would say, I can travel with my Pakistani passport and than also suggest I can get visa.

Any, personal experience with PIA staff?

By the way, here is dual-nationality info from the FAQ at ...
http://islamabad.usembassy.gov/pakistan/cs_info_faqs.html

---------------------------------------
DUAL NATIONALITY (AMERICAN/PAKISTAN)

I was born in Pakistan but am now an American citizen. Can I claim my Pakistani nationality?

Dual nationality with the United States was carried out under section 14(3) of the Pakistan Citizenship Act of 1951 which says that Pakistani citizens who acquired US citizenship and subsequently ceased to be citizens of Pakistan under section 14(1) of the Act shall be considered citizens of Pakistan and they shall be deemed never to have lost their Pakistani citizenship. They have the same rights, privileges, and obligations they had before acquiring U.S. citizenship. (Source: Pakistan Citizenship Act of 1951)

What effect will this have on my American citizenship?

Exercising your dual nationality will not result in the loss of your U.S. citizenship. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there. Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.
---------------------------------------

Scarlethawk,
Visa will cost you $120 for 5 years, passport will cost you $60 for 5 years, NICOP will cost you $15 for 10 years. Which one do you think they will try to sell you? :)

Triple Citizen said:
MJA,
Just curious, you have the old style passport or got the new MRP? I will be getting my MRP next week when I visit Toronto. I think in the US, only the New York consulate is issuing MRPs.

I have the new MRP. I applied for it last month at the NY cosulate. It costs $46. I was impressed by the staff and service at the consulate. I was in and out of the consulate in 20 minutes and received my passport in 12 days.

I called the PIA call-center (800.578.6786) and was told there should be no problems checking in with Pakistani passport at O'Hare and then using US passport at Islamabad.

I really see no reason for a visa or NICOP or anything else if I have a valid Pakistani passport. Anything I am missing?

Scarlethawk,
Totally agree with you. If you are Pakistani, use a Pakistani passport to enter Pakistan. However if you live outside Pakistan, in order to get/renew a Pakistani passport, you need a NICOP. You do not HAVE to use the NICOP to enter Pakistan with a foreign passport, but you need a NICOP to get a Pakistani passport.

Does the CNIC serve the same purpose for entry into Pakistan as the NICOP? I have a CNIC and recently became a US citizen. I was thinking of using the CNIC to renew my passport and use that as proof of dual citizenship. So, would I be able to enter PK with passport and CNIC? OR do I need NICOP? Also, if I don't renew my PK passport, can I enter pakistan with US passport and CNIC? Please advise. Thank you.

Rahim,
CNIC will let you renew your Pakistani passport, but you cannot use CNIC with a foreign passport to enter Pakistan. If you have made your permanent home outside Pakistan, the consulate/embassy will advise you to change your CNIC to a NICOP.

Thank you for your response, Mr. Ghori. If I renew my PK passport, though, then would I also need to get a NICOP? Or then the passport will be enough?

If you renew your Pakistani passport, then you only need that to enter Pakistan. No need for CNIC or NICOP.
However if you have made you permanent home outside Pakistan, then it is a good idea to change your CNIC to NICOP.

rahim said:
Thank you for your response, Mr. Ghori. If I renew my PK passport, though, then would I also need to get a NICOP? Or then the passport will be enough?

In my view having a NICOP is more convenient than a pakistani passport; it is only $15 for 10 years and then you dont have to present different passports at different places. But it is just my personal opinion.