Pakistani and US citizenships/passports

Your opinion makes perfect sense fiscally. Others may hold the opinion "I don't want to enter my own country using another passport" :)

The good thing is, Pakistanis holding dual citizenship have the following methods of entering Pakistan:-

(1) Pakistani passport
(2) Foreign passport + NICOP
(3) Foreign passport + POC
(4) Foreign passport with a Pakistani visit visa
(5) Foreign passport only (VOA for businessmen from 69 countries)

One can pick whatever suits their needs the best.

MJA said:
In my view having a NICOP is more convenient than a pakistani passport; it is only $15 for 10 years and then you dont have to present different passports at different places. But it is just my personal opinion.

Triple Citizen said:
Scarlethawk,
Totally agree with you. If you are Pakistani, use a Pakistani passport to enter Pakistan. However if you live outside Pakistan, in order to get/renew a Pakistani passport, you need a NICOP. You do not HAVE to use the NICOP to enter Pakistan with a foreign passport, but you need a NICOP to get a Pakistani passport.

I just got the ticket and was surprised at the reaction from travel agent and the owner of a well run desi travel agency on Devon ave in Chicago thought the dual-nationality is not something legal but people have been just using it without any legal authority. I was surprised at the knowledge (or lack of) of these guys.

There was also an issue as to which passport to show in Pakistan so that they can put an entry stamp. My thought is it should be Pakistani, these guys seem to think it should be US passport that Pakistani authorities should put an entry stamp in. Thoughts?

Below are my personal opinions:-

(1) Well run desi travel agency = oxymoron
(2) Devon = your second mistake
(3) dual-nationality is not something legal = ignorance

Just enter and leave on your Pakistani passport. Eid mubarak and happy new year. Have a safe trip!!!

Mr Ghori, you said to enter and LEAVE pakistan with Pakistani passport. But when leaving, wouldn't they want to see proof that you can enter the united states? So wouldn't we need to leave on the US passport? They have always scrutinized my GC to make sure I can get into the US port of entry.

Rahim,
Good question. The airline staff needs to ensure that you can enter the US. Show them your US passport when you check-in for your flight. They will issue you your boarding pass. Then when you pass through Pakistani emigration control, then you exit as a Pakistani, showing them your Pakistani passport.

By the way, you can call me Saif, no need for Mr. Ghori :)

Thank you, Saif. You've been very helpful. I guess the thing to do it to keep both passports handy at every stage.

It's very easy to apply for a NICOP online. I did it for myself, my wife and my kid. It went smoothly and we received our cards in the US within 4-6 weeks. I think shipping charges were extra $7 per card. I would suggest get a NICOP.

May I request something? My marriage based N-400 is pending in the Hartford DO. My PD is Aug 9, 2006 and FP date is Sep 5, 2006. I guess I am stuck in the infamous "Name Check" process. Not sure I can do anything about it. Just wondering if could share your experience in terms of timeline?

Regards,
Zamindar

The online application for POC asks for CNIC/NICOP as a required field. How should we fill that out for a US citizen who has never had a Pakistani ID?

I already have the CNIC so if I apply for POC then i need to surrender the CNIC according to the web site. Do I really need to treplace the CNIC with POC. I still have a valid Pakistani passport. Also have a US Passport.

I am in chicago so can I apply for this in the chicago consulate or the embassy in DC.

Note: Please surrender original CNIC card issued by NADRA if you are applying for a POC.

I am planning to get a NICOP. It's cheaper, serves the same purpose as POC, and I won't have to surrender my CNIC.