OCI - Washington DC Tracker

This is my personal experience, when I first applied in April my application(s) was returned 6 times (mine (3) + wife&kids(3)) every time the packets had complete money orders wthout withdrawing a single peny. They did write a warning in late june that they will reimburse the $20 but inyour case or cases whose apps was not returned for corrections and the money was sent along with apps then they need not resend again. But incase they have returned the apps for correction they should have deducted $20 before sending it for correction, if the money was intact then we need not worry.

Ok. my theory is then wrong :)

Well if someone can figure out the method behind this madness, please share with others. :)

Mr.99, I had been in this scenario # C for my case and I did not send any extra money for mailing when I sent my application back to them 2nd time and they did send my OCI/passport back without any fuss ... although I lost $155 to India Passport Cancel fiasco, thats whole different story :)

sam

i think the whole mail fee thing is confusing. Why can't they write detailed and clear instructions ? Is this too much to ask?

sam

i think the whole mail fee thing is confusing. Why can't they write detailed and clear instructions ? Is this too much to ask?

If they be clear than how would they find excuses to delay in processing? Remember how things go in Hindustan Sarkaari departments? This is the same thing, except they can't ask for ghoos in USA ... so they delay the process as much as they can by pin pointing things that we the aam public can't figure out with the way instructions are written on their fring website. Pretty much discouraging people from dealing with the embassy by doing such things.

Passports were delivered this morning, now, the countdown begins.....

Guys(FU99,kakku,murthy,fedup) were you all able to send the passports today?

I mailed my PPs today. It is supposed to reach tomorrow by 12.00 Noon. Then my wait starts....

Do u know how long it generally takes to get the PPs back?

I mailed my PPs today. It is supposed to reach tomorrow by 12.00 Noon. Then my wait starts....

Do u know how long it generally takes to get the PPs back?

It took me 5 days to get my stuff back, but that was when the process was moving very quickly in July-Aug time frame.

thanks froumuser99

My documents were received as well. I am sending out my passports tommorow.
Can someone elaborate on what exactly are we supposed to put on the "cover letter"

Congratulations to VM, Kakku, FedupUser, FU99. You are almost there..... One last hurdle to cross...

Here is a template from my cover letter.

From
Full Name
Address
EMail
Phone

To
The Embassy of India,
OCI CELL,
2536 Massachusetts Ave NW,
Washington DC 20008

REF:
FILE # USAWNNNNNNNN
ACK# USAWINNNNNNN

Dear Sir/Madam,
As per the online inquiry status page for OCI applications, my OCI documents have reached the Washington DC office on Nov-09-2010. To complete the stamping of the OCI process, I am herewith sending my original US PP for stamping. I am enclosing the following items with this letter.

1. Online status page.
2. Original US Passport.

Your timely help with the remaining steps is greatly appreciated. Should you need any additional details, please feel free to contact me via email or phone and I shall be glad to oblige.

Sincerely yours,

Full Name.
Nov-08-2010

I have sent the passport and other papers yesterday by Fedex. It should reach today by 3 PM.

Keeping the fingures crossed and waiting for the passport and OCI card back.

Sri

Congratulations to VM, Kakku, FedupUser, FU99. You are almost there..... One last hurdle to cross...
Thank you GC4US for your wishes, even though it was always there. Your template would definately help people in this stage of processing.

A chill wave ran in my spine today morning, when I realized, I didn't mention about renunciation/sc/cancelled indian passport in my cover letter, will that matter? Your template also does not mention that, hope they will check everything before sending me back. I had enough troubles, I am not looking for more.

Guy's (FU99,kakku,fedup) did you mention that?

[A chill wave ran in my spine today morning, when I realized, I didn't mention about renunciation/sc/cancelled indian passport in my cover letter, will that matter? Your template also does not mention that, hope they will check everything before sending me back. I had enough troubles, I am not looking for more.

Hmmmm.... That is a good catch.... I probably did not think about the SC/Renunciation because, I got mine done as part of the Entry Visa (Emergency request) and already had the SC in my hand:(.. But, it is definitely worth adding to the cover letter, just to refresh their memories...

I don't think it matters as many have received their cancelled PP and SC with the OCI stamps..... and I suspect if they mentioned all the details in the cover letter....

I too pray that you won't have to spend any more agonising minutes of your precious time in dealing with these folks.

Best wishes...

Hey Guys,
I just sent out my passport today. it will be delivered tommorow before 10:30a.m....was extremely busy yesterday so i had to do it today.

I am new in this forum. My oci application was received on 09/10 and ackwnoledged 11/02. I have to go to India on December 20th. I don't think they are going to process my paperwork as expected. Can anyone suggest what can be done to speed up the oci, besides getting visa? My whole family's paperwork is in their hands. Any suggestions? Please let me know...

I am new in this forum. My oci application was received on 09/10 and ackwnoledged 11/02. I have to go to India on December 20th. I don't think they are going to process my paperwork as expected. Can anyone suggest what can be done to speed up the oci, besides getting visa? My whole family's paperwork is in their hands. Any suggestions? Please let me know...

susanme

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately you cannot do anything to expedite this thing. Since it was acknowledged on 11/02, your chances of getting this by 12/20 are slim. It takes about 3 months from the recd date to finally getting OCI. If you have visa you can travel to India and get OCI stamped after coming back. If not you may want to consider getting a visa. Since TG holidays are fast approaching, I would recommend you to work on your plan B.

Good Luck

My oci application was received on 09/10 and ackwnoledged 11/02. I have to go to India on December 20th. Any suggestions? Please let me know...

I am assuming you have sent your Indian passports for cancellation along with OCI apps
Option 1: If not, and you have cancelled passports in your hand, you can go to transvisa and apply for Entry visa and you can get your OCI stamp once you come back from India.

Option 2: Your indian passport is with OCI apps:- If you can travel in person to DC consulate, show them your tickets and request for cancelled Indian passports between 12.30 PM to 1.00 (I believe) and convince them why your trip is important. They should honour your request and then you can do the rest as mentioned in option 1.

susanme, go and get the VISA, don't wait for these fing babus to process your OCI in time. Just to show you how bad it is, my wife's docs were ack'ed on 10/21 and still no update, I am officially loosing my mind over it now.

Right when I am loosing my mind over the slowness, I got an update for my wife's case:

Date Of Acknowledgment: 21-OCT-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned: 11-NOV-2010

I did mention a request for SC and ref my Indian Passport #'s, but I also messed up in my hurry, as in I did not include my wife's Acknowledgment # in the cover letter and outside of envelope (just included mine). Don't know if this will be a problem, I sent an email to advise them, but don't think they will get to it soon. I sent mine on Monday night (got the last UPS pick-up) and got confirmation DC office recvd on Tuesday. Will keep u all posted.

Thank you GC4US for your wishes, even though it was always there. Your template would definately help people in this stage of processing.

A chill wave ran in my spine today morning, when I realized, I didn't mention about renunciation/sc/cancelled indian passport in my cover letter, will that matter? Your template also does not mention that, hope they will check everything before sending me back. I had enough troubles, I am not looking for more.

URGENT: photo's and mailing fee for washington DC

Hello
While filing for OCI and SC at Washington DC, I have mine and my family pictures taken with white backgrounds. Does this pose problems? I am looking for advice from all those folks that were successful in geting their SC and OCI to let me know.

I received my US Citizenship in 2009, and so my fees for OCI and SC ( for a family of 4) looks like this:-
OCI filing fee : $275 * 4
SC fee : $20 * 3 ( because one child was born here )
Mailing fee : will this be $20* 4 or just $20*1 ?

Thanks

Hello
While filing for OCI and SC at Washington DC, I have mine and my family pictures taken with white backgrounds. Does this pose problems?
-----No problem, why do you think so?

Mailing fee : will this be $20* 4 or just $20*1 ?

----$20 * 1

Thanks