OCI - Washington DC Tracker

thanks froumuser99

My documents were received as well. I am sending out my passports tommorow.
Can someone elaborate on what exactly are we supposed to put on the "cover letter"

My cover letter is very generic. It says I applied for the OCI and it has been approved. I then mentioned the pp#, File #, confirmation# for me and my family. I attached the confirmation pages for everyone also.

good luck

Would appreciate response

I am little bit concerned. My application is pending for the last 9 weeks and there is no acknowledgement. I notice in the forum that people who have applied after me have made some progress.

Is this a normal event or my application form is lost ?

Any response will be highly appreciated.

Srini

Congrats folks, you know who you are :) for getting to the last step.

I am still waiting for any progress after Ack'ed of docs of my family... 3+ week for wife 1+ week for kids

Renunciation / SC

Hi there,

Anyone who applied for Renunciation / SC along with OCI ?? and appeared in-person at the DC office to collect the SC for any emergency travel..

I applied for OCI on 09/01 and has been in scanned status for the last couple of weeks .. i need to travel to India and am asked to get the SC / cancelled Indian passport to apply for VISA by the tranvisa outsourcing guys..

Just wondering if anyone in the similar boat appeared in-person in DC. Please share your experience.

Thanks,

VM/Kakku/Sam/Fedup

Are u guys adding a 20$ cashiers check along with your passports to get the OCI. I added 20$ initially to my application. I am not sending another 20$ now with the passports. How about you guys. The instructions on the website is not clear.

Anyone?

The website says the documents are received at Washington today. I will be sending the US passport, web page of status enquiry, 20$ money order and a covering letter. Am I missing anything?

Date Of Acknowledgment 27-AUG-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 03-SEP-2010
Registration Status Granted On 29-SEP-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 18-OCT-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 20-OCT-2010
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 09-NOV-2010

Thanks

Murthy

I see you are sending 20$ with passports. Did u also send 20$ along with the application? Sam said earlier, I dont need to send another 20$. So I did not.

Hopefully mine will not be rejected. Why can't they just list the things needed clearly. Aarghh.....

Murthy

I see you are sending 20$ with passports. Did u also send 20$ along with the application? Sam said earlier, I dont need to send another 20$. So I did not.

Hopefully mine will not be rejected. Why can't they just list the things needed clearly. Aarghh.....

I also did not send it as I have sent before, but it confused me yesterday after reading the website. But chalo dekha jayega....Forumuser99 ...what is the question of rejection? I have seen in the past they send it anyways. Chill

Congrats folks, you know who you are :) for getting to the last step.

I am still waiting for any progress after Ack'ed of docs of my family... 3+ week for wife 1+ week for kids

Sam,
Thanks Sam, You have already seen these days before in your life and you know exactly how it feels. In regards to your families apps I am sure it will end up soon, since sept things changed in DC, not sure whom to blame but I know for sure you will be another Happy man after the process ends. I remember your personal OCI case ended rapid fast and hope the pace will pick up for your family too.

I also did not send it as I have sent before, but it confused me yesterday after reading the website. But chalo dekha jayega....Forumuser99 ...what is the question of rejection? I have seen in the past they send it anyways. Chill

I think, this is how it works. Just my assumption based on reading the thread and instructions on website multiple times.

DISCLAIMER : This is just my opinion/interpretation. Please don't treat this as an advice. Do your own research.

a) you send 20$ along with application as return mail fee.
b) if your application goes smoothly, this 20$ is not used. In this case, when u send your passports by mail to get OCI stamped, you DO NOT need to send the 20$ as embassy got your money already.
c) if your OCI application is returned to you for some reason (bad photo, incomplete app etc.), they send you the application back to you for you to fix the errors and resend. I think embassy uses your 20$ to send your application back. Subsequently, when your OCI is approved and reaches DC, when u send the Passports, you need to send additional 20$ to get your passports back, because your initial 20$ is used by embassy already.

Again, just a theory. not confirmed.
cheers

thanks froumuser99

Can someone elaborate on what exactly are we supposed to put on the "cover letter"

Kakku,
I have also included same simple format like forumuser99, I believe they want to see the names of the applicant with US passport # and OCI file # in place to verify, they don't spend time on unnecessary reading. So make it simple.

Thanks VM, I am indeed holding up the fort now :) I am not in hurry as no we don't have any travel plans, we just want this to be over.

I think, this is how it works. Just my assumption based on reading the thread and instructions on website multiple times.

DISCLAIMER : This is just my opinion/interpretation. Please don't treat this as an advice. Do your own research.

a) you send 20$ along with application as return mail fee.
b) if your application goes smoothly, this 20$ is not used. In this case, when u send your passports by mail to get OCI stamped, you DO NOT need to send the 20$ as embassy got your money already.
c) if your OCI application is returned to you for some reason (bad photo, incomplete app etc.), they send you the application back to you for you to fix the errors and resend. I think embassy uses your 20$ to send your application back. Subsequently, when your OCI is approved and reaches DC, when u send the Passports, you need to send additional 20$ to get your passports back, because your initial 20$ is used by embassy already.

Again, just a theory. not confirmed.
cheers

Mr.99, I had been in this scenario # C for my case and I did not send any extra money for mailing when I sent my application back to them 2nd time and they did send my OCI/passport back without any fuss ... although I lost $155 to India Passport Cancel fiasco, thats whole different story :)

This is my personal experience, when I first applied in April my application(s) was returned 6 times (mine (3) + wife&kids(3)) every time the packets had complete money orders wthout withdrawing a single peny. They did write a warning in late june that they will reimburse the $20 but inyour case or cases whose apps was not returned for corrections and the money was sent along with apps then they need not resend again. But incase they have returned the apps for correction they should have deducted $20 before sending it for correction, if the money was intact then we need not worry.

Thanks vm1214..my situation is little different .. as the SC application is already stitting at the DC office sent along with OCI in September..

If i need to get it done .. wondering if i need to go to the basement or see someone from OCI cell ..

Regards,

Sure Shabbu77, your Indian passport is lying in DC consulate and all you need is cancelled Indian passport which you can collect personally after producing the necessary documents.

Forum_User_99 and other folks who's documents were received on 9th Nov,

Do we also mail the canceled Indian passport along with the US Passport OR, just the US Passport ONLY?

Thanks.
thanks froumuser99

Forum_User_99 and other folks who's documents were received on 9th Nov,

Do we also mail the canceled Indian passport along with the US Passport OR, just the US Passport ONLY?

Thanks.

No I did not. My Indian passport was canceled (stamped as Canceled) when I got my US Citizenship 3 years ago. I did send the copies (self attested) of the pages along with the application.