OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Collected OCI and passport in person today.

Trip was painful (6 gallons of fuel + huge traffic + parking).

Parked at place suggested by idk/speakamericano ... it was very helpful, Thanks.

Was late to reach ...around 5:15, everyone was sitting ... not sure where to go I was about to go to a counter when I saw everyone getting up and running ... so I joined them :)
A queue was formed and I was second in it, I felt kind of unhappy because I came in after everyone and was second in line .... also I felt I was in wrong line because speakamericano told me to go to wall below TV but since no one was there I was confused and same time I was confused why these people were sitting till 5:15 .... guess what I was in wrong line.

A person came out and explained they have received visas but will take additional 20 minutes to screen etc-etc.... so all these folks were waiting for same day visa.
I asked him ... what about OCI .... he said you shouldn't be in this line .... voila OCI/PIO counter was all empty and I went there and collected my documents and came out in 5 minutes... thanks again to folks on this forum who suggested to wait for a day before going to collect. I rcvd email yesterday but went today ... was even considering to go on Monday.

so that unhappy and happy part of visit.

Beyond that still confusion ...
I applied for transfer of OCI to new passport .... submitted my new passport, old passport and old OCI card beside other documents.
They gave me back new passport (with u-visa), old passport (with u-visa cancelled) and new oci card.

Now confusing part:
1. Old passport is stapled with new passport, why? do I still need to carry old passport? What is use of getting OCI transferred then? New u-visa and new OCI card mentions new passport number only .... why is old passport required to be carried now?
2. I did not get old oci card back. Asked the lady ... she had no clue ... love Travisa. In past when I got OCI from PIO (yes, I have gone through that pain also) they returned my cancelled PIO card. Will I ever need old OCI card? God knows.

Anyway for next 4+ years I am good and will go through this (or bigger) pain again when current passport for kids will renew.

Pain is my destiny and I can't avoid it.

@adawara...chalo ek aur OCI done hua..
It's weird to staple the old passport to the new one... I thought it may destroy or damage the chip inside the American passport... I am no tech geek... so may be I am wrong there... but they used to put an elastic band around it a long time ago instead of stapling it.. maybe it;s a new rule at travisa.. I agree Travisa is painful.. I, too, have wasted 20 gallons in gas, 35 bucks on parking, and time going back and forth to travisa..But that's what they're here for.. to make sure we get annoyed. Like kungfu said in one of his/her old posts that the motto of travisa is, "who says nothing is impossible..I've been doing it for years." Oh well...Congrats on getting your stuff back. Hopefully the service will improve by the next time when you have to do anything with OCI.

@amitabh_bachan...aaj kush to bohut hoge tum...hain? hahaha sorry couldn't resist saying that.
@adawara...congrats on getting your OCI thing done. Consider the staple a gift from Travisa:) Arey bhai they have to maintain their reputation of doing something wrong. weird n brainless.
@Speakamericano...thanx for quoting me. I am getting the feeling I am gettin a little famous here...lol.
It seems to me Murphy's laws would be so applicable to these people with some modification like"If you think we cannot screw it anymore, well you are wrong".
We should come up with more jokes to lighten the mood of all the becharas and becharis who read this forum. Aur nahin to do pal hasn hi lenge.
I got one, what do you call a travisa office where every call is picked up at the first ring, every email is replied, every question is answered in the most efficient and customer friendly way, and people are not turned away for frivolous issues? A MYTH. Haw haw hahahahah.

ahahahahah @ the amitabh bachan joke.. LMAO... I loved the "hain" part... Have you heard of that "buddha hoga tera baap" movie.. Amit ji is back and he's angry...
Every unemployed person in the US would have a job if the Travisa calls are picked up on the first ring..

@Speakamericano...yeah have heard of the new amitabh movie. Seems interesting.
I have an amitabh style joke for you as well relating to ur name change hassle at Travisa.
So Travisa says to our dear Speakamericano....Jao pehle uss aadmi ka sign leke aao jisne tumhara naam passport pe galat likha, jao pehle uss aadmi ka sign leke aao jisne tumhe notarized letter se hum patt jayenge kaha tha, jao pehle uss aadmi ka sign leke aao jo form G24 yah usse jo bhi kehte hain par likh ke de ke tumhara naam pehle kucch aur bhi tha jo kisi buddbakk ne pehle galat likha tha....phir tumhara application hum accept karenge.

Yeh buddbakk kya hai... budlight kaa indian version.. main bhi yehi joke istemaal karne wali thi..adawara ke liye...

adawara bole: "aaj mere pass OCI hai, India ka lifelong visa hai, babu ji kaa signature hai OCI booklet pe. Tumhare pass kya hai."
Travisa bola: "Mere pass impossible ko impossible rakhne wala experience hai."

Is there a Process for application of the OCI and renunciation? Along with a checklist of things to do? Thanks in advance

paula1971

Is there a Process for application of the OCI and renunciation? Along with a checklist of things to do? Thanks in advance

paula1971 ,

Your question's answers lies with official outsourcing agency called TRAVISA. TRAVISA is an offical outsourcing agency that Embassy of India in Washington D.C., and all the Consulates in United States have hired.

They are the ones who have listed in complete details as to what to do exactly in applying for the O.C.I application as well as the renunciation forms.

there is also a complete checklist. You are not sending application to consulate straight but instead to TRAVISA and they will send it to San Francisco consulate, Houston Consulate, Chicago Consulate, New York Consulate, or Embassy in Washington D.C. .

I hope you know which consulate to apply. But do not worry, TRAVISA will tell you where to exactly send in your application depending on the initial answers you will give on their website.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the TRAVISA's website:

https : // indiavisa . travisaoutsourcing . com / oci / homepage
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the Consulates websites:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Houston Consulate: http : // www . cgihouston. org/

San Francisco Consulate: http : // www . cgisf . org/

Washington D.C. Embassy: http : // www . indianembassy . org

New York Consulate : http : //www . Indiacgny . org

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago Consulate: http : // chicago . indianconsulate . com

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh buddbakk kya hai... budlight kaa indian version.. main bhi yehi joke istemaal karne wali thi..adawara ke liye...

adawara bole: "aaj mere pass OCI hai, India ka lifelong visa hai, babu ji kaa signature hai OCI booklet pe. Tumhare pass kya hai."
Travisa bola: "Mere pass impossible ko impossible rakhne wala experience hai."

LOL ... keep it coming.

BTW my tag line "Pain is my destiny and I can't avoid it" is from one of very good Amitabh movie "Kala Paathar"

Pain is my destiny and I can't avoid it

Here is my case.....
hoping to see light at the end of the tunnel.......my tickets are booked for July 7th.....
and the OCI was sent from INDIA today.....not sure there may be a small chance..

04/22/2011 12:26pm PST Service order form completed online
04/26/2011 12:28pm PST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing. Please allow Travisa Outsourcing up to 7 business days before the application status changes. Note that your application will undergo several steps before the status is updated.
05/05/2011 9:43am PST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
05/14/2011 11:24am PST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
05/17/2011 9:11am PST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate

MHA Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned On 18-MAY-2011
Registration Status Granted On 18-MAY-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 24-JUN-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 27-JUN-2011
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO NOT YET

Thanks, idk.

As planned earlier, I made the pilgrimage to Travisa's office today. Here is what happened:

1. Kid #2: I had faxed over the passport withdrawal application around noon yesterday. When I visited Travisa today morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the passport was already there to be collected (although they ask for a 72 hour turnaround). I immediately collected the passport and the lady at the counter assured me that the OCI process will continue. When I return the passport after travel is complete, they will send the OCI card and the passport after processing. However I see that the Travisa status has been updated thus:

I hope that it only means that passport has been withdrawn; I have been told by multiple people (all Travisa, of course) that the processing will still continue.

2. Kid #1: They had earlier mentioned over phone that I should withdraw the passport (similar to kid #2) and apply for a visa since #1 does not have one. I was prepared; I had completed the visa application online and had all the supporting documents/fees/photos ready. However, I told the lady at the counter that NIC informed me that the OCI is already at the consulate (thanks, ari_immi). I asked if she could talk to the manager and call the consulate to get the OCI. She talked to the manager and got back saying it may come today or tomorrow. After pleading with her saying I need to travel next week and I cannot make the long drive again, she finally said she will get the file 'pulled' and it will be ready in the evening. We went back at 4.30 and another person said the OCI is not there! After some more asking and probing, he said there may be another courier coming in and asked us to wait another 30 minutes. Finally after a painstaking 30 minute wait, I went to the counter again and they had the OCI and the passport!

Finally we can be at peace knowing that we can travel without any issues. I will deal with #2's OCI when we get back from India.

I am really grateful to all the people who helped me on this forum (esp., idk, ari_immi, speakamericano). I gained a lot of understanding of the process and also speakamericano's directions to parking etc really helped me.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting for their OCI's.

I am in the process of sending the passport withdrawal form for a one year old son. Do both parents need to sign the passport withdrawal request form?. Also, there is a section which says that the above mentioned passport is requested to be withdrawn from the visa application process of :. Did you circle myself or other. In other, it asks for affiliation to passport holder.

Thanks
Vivek

Updates:
Current as of 07/05/2011 11:03am PST

Date/Time Action
06/10/2011 2:49pm PST Service order form completed online
06/15/2011 10:55am PST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
06/16/2011 3:45pm PST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
06/20/2011 8:49am PST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
06/20/2011 8:53am PST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
06/20/2011 11:32am PST Documents received by Consulate
06/23/2011 2:00pm PST Pending approval of the Government of India
=====================================

Date Of Acknowledgment 18-JUN-2011
Photo/Signature Scanned On 21-JUN-2011
Registration Status Granted On 21-JUN-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED On 04-JUL-2011

Dispatched From MOIA (OCI Cell): NEW DELHI On NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO NOT YET
=====================================

Guessing that I will have it by July 20th. Also, I'm one of those early folks since jun 17th, who did not submit a passport with the application. so at that point I will have to go in and give the passport in. Will update what happens at that point and procedure on that.

Ok I think I know why! That happened to me too. I used the USANIXXXXX number and my Indian passport number to check oci status so it was saying not acknowledged but One day I tried the USANOXXX AND the PASSPORT NUMBER printed in OCI Order form ( I have my US PASSPORT NUMBER -current passport number in order form)
So try with USPASSPORT NUMBER + USANIXXXXX and you will see the update.

I am in the same boat. Send the OCI packet on 05/12 and it shows the same for me too..Not sure how long its going to take. The processing rate for SFO seems to be the most backlogged as compared to other Indian consulates based on OCI processing information posted on this forum. And we can't even ask for the status until after 12 weeks..

I am in the process of sending the passport withdrawal form for a one year old son. Do both parents need to sign the passport withdrawal request form?. Also, there is a section which says that the above mentioned passport is requested to be withdrawn from the visa application process of :. Did you circle myself or other. In other, it asks for affiliation to passport holder.

Thanks
Vivek

Only you need to sign and date it on behalf of your son. In the bottom section of the form, check Relative, put your name and relationship (Father).

Regards

Only you need to sign and date it on behalf of your son. In the bottom section of the form, check Relative, put your name and relationship (Father).

Regards

Does the online status on the Travisa website change once you have withdrawan the passport?. Will they inform you to send the passport once the OCI has arrived?.

Travisa is saying that they mailed the passport today morning but I am not seeing any updates in the Fedex tracking. Also the online status on the Travisa website has not changed.

Vivek

Got email for my OCI from Travisa...saying it is ready for pickup..
they say they will send it on Monday....

04/22/2011 12:26pm PST

Service order form completed online

04/26/2011 12:28pm PST

OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing. Please allow Travisa Outsourcing up to 7 business days before the application status changes. Note that your application will undergo several steps before the status is updated.

05/05/2011 9:43am PST

Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed

05/14/2011 11:24am PST

Documents prepared to go to Embassy.

05/17/2011 9:11am PST

Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate

07/08/2011 3:36pm PST

Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly. Ready for pickup between 4:30pm and 6:00pm. If mail back, waiting for FedEx pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.

Why OCI enquiry just shows my name ..... why not date of Acknowledgment ?

Date/Time Action
06/29/2011 12:20am PST Service order form completed online

07/01/2011 2:14pm PST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing. Please allow Travisa Outsourcing up to 7 business days before the application status changes. Note that your application will undergo several steps before the status is updated.

07/05/2011 12:24pm PST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed

07/05/2011 2:14pm PST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.

07/06/2011 8:39am PST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate

07/06/2011 10:21am PST Documents received by Consulate

07/11/2011 2:00pm PST Pending approval of the Government of India

Please Enter Passport Number: XXXXXX

File (Acknowledgment) No: USAXXXXXXXXX

Online Registration No: USAXXXXXXXXX

Applicant's Name XXXXXXX SINGH XXXXXX
Date Of Acknowledgment :
THEN BLANK PAGE