OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Did you also submit the original surrender certificate along with your OCI application ? How long did it take for processing the surrender certificate ?

No, I did not submit surrender certificate. Last year I had taken a business visa to visit India and when I applied for the same I had submitted the renunciation of indian citizenship form. Looks like that took care of this.

Current status
============================
OCI application sent: 13-MAY-2010
USPS confirmed delivery: 14-MAY-2010
Acknowledgement date: 25-MAY-2010
Registration Status: Granted, 27-MAY-2010
Photo/Signature: Scanned, 27-MAY-2010
Documents Printing Status: Printed, 29-MAY-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 31-MAY-2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Promise of changes (hopefully for the better)

news.rediff.com/report/2010/jun/01/vayalar-ravi-promises-change-in-new-visa-rules-for-indians-in-us.htm

news.rediff.com/report/2010/jun/01/vayalar-ravi-promises-change-in-new-visa-rules-for-indians-in-us.htm

Thanks for the link....
I guess that has already shown up in the SFO home page as

"LATEST NEWS: In supercession of previous rules, Government of India has decided that Persons of Indian origin who have already acquired foreign citizenship uptil 31 May 2010 will not be required to pay renunciation fees of USD 175.00, he/she will be required to pay Miscellaneous fees of USD 20.00 when getting the old Indian passport cancelled/surrendered.

In future those Indian citizens who acquire foreign citizenship on or after 01 June 2010 will have to submit declaration of renunciation of their Indian citizenship forms as given on website and fees of USD 175.00"

Need your help...

My OCI application is with SFO, the latest status as of today is granted and printed.
I am in a family need to be in India for next 2 years and my travel date is mid next week.
Since the OCI process was taking too much time even after I rpovided the SC.... I applied for 5 entry visa and I have that in my passport.

will the conulate keep my OCI until I come back ?

My spouse will continue stay in US.. can my spouse with my permission bring the passport for OCI?
any other options?

I paid $700 last week and surrendered all 4 passports. Can I expect the money to be refunded?

Thanks for the link....
I guess that has already shown up in the SFO home page as

"LATEST NEWS: In supercession of previous rules, Government of India has decided that Persons of Indian origin who have already acquired foreign citizenship uptil 31 May 2010 will not be required to pay renunciation fees of USD 175.00, he/she will be required to pay Miscellaneous fees of USD 20.00 when getting the old Indian passport cancelled/surrendered.

In future those Indian citizens who acquire foreign citizenship on or after 01 June 2010 will have to submit declaration of renunciation of their Indian citizenship forms as given on website and fees of USD 175.00"

This is the response I received from CGISF on fee refund:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Please refer to your e-mail.

In respect of all applications, where fees have not been accepted, the
applications are being returned. Where the fees have been accepted, the fees
would be refunded once directions are received from the Government of India.

Thank you

CGISF

I got the similar thing as Surrender certificate...a stamp on Indian PP and a stamp on SC appln.

Basically a stamp on original SC application form and a stamp on my latest passport.
This is all I got back from consulate.

Along with our OCIs, US passport and canceled passports we got back 1 original of the 2-original SC app that we had submitted. This original has been stamped and signed by the consulate and also has a DRIL no. that is also seen written on our US passports.

To anyone who has already gotten their SC, can you please confirm that is the SC or not? If not, what does your SC state?

Apparently, folks in the NY consulate got a printed/signed letter stating passports surrender on the consulate letterhead.

The people at the consulate are very helpful. They too have been surprised by this new requirement and trying to cope up with the deluge in applications and inquiries. We were at the SF consulate 05/19 and the OCI lady promised to send out the OCIs on Friday which she followed through with and we got the OCIs on Saturday.

It seems they are not updating the online status. Our OCI cards were dispatched on 05/13 and we saw them in our files during our 05/19 visit. Even now that we have received the OCIs, the status still shows up as "Not Yet" received. Apparently they are too swamped to update the OCI status.

Anyone with upcoming travel, please go in person to the consulate with proof of travel and they will try to accomodate as much as they can.

Again anyone who has already received SC, can you please confirm what you received as the SC? Thanks a lot.

SFO updated their site today

If you have a ‘passport cancelled on acquisition of US(foreign) nationality’ stamp on your passport, there is no requirement of acquiring “surrender certificate”.

Good at least there is some clarity..

But then again if you just have "Cancelled" or some other wording stamp, it looks like you'll need SC

Today they have sent back my SC application with a note that Govt of India has reduced the fee for this from 175 to 20. Please include the appropriate fee. So now I have to reapply again - what a wastage of time plus the shipping charges but I will save some money on the SC charges.

When did you send your SC application sg930? I sent two SC applications on 05/21 with $175 fee for each application. I see that the fedex tracking for the return shipment started. They might have sent back them as CGI is too lazy to refund $155. My OCI package (applied on 5/5) was returned for missing $175 fee. I wasted 5 weeks and $90 for this back and forth. I planned my India travel in July. I need to start all over again next week. 2 weks for SC + 4 - 6 weeks for OCI. Looks like the earliest I can get OCI is 1st/2nd weeks of Aug.

Irony is that no one at MHA or CGI is/wiil be fired for causing so much of pain to several customers.

Quick Question about applying for OCI now

Since the dust has settled down now for the SC issue, can I submit my OCI appl along with the appl for SC ($ 20 fee) within the same packet ? Or do I have to first get the SC and then apply for the OCI ?
Waiting for some reply ...

Since the dust has settled down now for the SC issue, can I submit my OCI appl along with the appl f

No.
I went to cgi sfo on thursday for SC and they are very specific. get your SC first and then apply for OCI.

No.
I went to cgi sfo on thursday for SC and they are very specific. get your SC first and then apply for OCI.

I already sent both the applications together before seeing your response. Not sure ..whether they are going to return everything or if they want they can hold..my OCI till the time Surrender is processed.

I sent 2 prepaid envelopes. One for OCI return and the other one for surrender certificate.

I already sent both the applications together before seeing your response. Not sure ..whether they a

No Sure what is going to happen. Different cells process OCI and SC.
SC processing takes about 15 days and OCI takes about 4-6 weeks. Besides OCI processing needs SC and they will send all the documents to Delhi.

If one sends both SC and OCI applications together, they some how need to link both processes, take the processed SC and attach it to the OCI documents for processing in Delhi ? I'm not sure whether they will do that.

May be this is the reason why they told me to get SC first and apply for OCI.

It will be interesting to see what happens with your case.

So keep posting your updates.