OCI - San Francisco Tracker

i Sent an email oci@cgisf - got reply 'Sorry, we cannot ask USPS to re-deliver it. You will have to take care of the issue."

Wish consulates will be more helpful than this!
Well, some consulates dont even reply to emails! *sigh* its all relative

i was happy to see a quick reply from oci@cgisf, helped me think next step(called USPS). Yes it would have helped if they mentioned - we get saturday and holiday's mails on next day (or monday).

Just checked USPS website..it shows package delivered to the consulate. I guess if consulate is closed, usps holds and delivers next Consulate working day.

GC sponsorship

Hi,

I am looking for a company which can sponsor my GC without changing my current employer.
I am on H1-B visa.
Please let me know if anyone knows about some good companies to get GC filed.
I want to stick to my current employer.

Thanks

Hi,

I am looking for a company which can sponsor my GC without changing my current employer.
I am on H1-B visa.
Please let me know if anyone knows about some good companies to get GC filed.
I want to stick to my current employer.

Thanks

This is a forum for discussing issues re. Overseas Citizenship of India. Please take your query re. GC sponsorship to an appropriate forum.

i was happy to see a quick reply from oci@cgisf, helped me think next step(called USPS). Yes it would have helped if they mentioned - we get saturday and holiday's mails on next day (or monday).

Just checked USPS website..it shows package delivered to the consulate. I guess if consulate is closed, usps holds and delivers next Consulate working day.

Thanks, yes atleast SF emailed you back.
And great that your package is actually delivered now. Does it show in the package delivery any person's name who "signed for the package"?

just says - Your item was delivered at 9:45 AM on August 18, 2008 in SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94118.
I guess it is because i used USPS priority mail...cost me around $5. helps me track the package.

just says - Your item was delivered at 9:45 AM on August 18, 2008 in SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94118.
I guess it is because i used USPS priority mail...cost me around $5. helps me track the package.

I am glad it all worked out well and your package was correctly delivered. I guess the lesson here is to have some patience :) when dealing with CGI and/or USPS and not get worked up when a package is not delivered due to consulate holiday, etc. - just wait till the next working day (or two) and it'll sort itself out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI application mailed into SFO today.
Thanks to everyone who helped out esp. akgarg and sv786.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully it will be Ack'd in 2 weeks.

Hi,

Myself and my wife is Indian citizens holding Indian passport.

My Son was borned in California and he is 7 yeas old, having US Passport.

First we applied PIO card for him and was issued on 05-APR-06.

After that we applied Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) card for him and was issued on 12-OCT-2006 and the 'U' sticker was attached in his expired USA passport.

Date of Acknowledgement : 06-OCT-2006
Registration Status : Granted on 11-OCT-2006
Photo/Signature : Scanned on 11-OCT-2006
Document Printing Status : PRINTED
Document Printed on : 12-OCT-2006
Document Dispatched From Delhi on : 13-OCT-2006
Document Received at SAN FRANCISCO on: 20-OCT-2006
'U' Sticker Date of Issue : 12-OCT-2006

So my son is holding PIO Card, OCI Booklet, 'U' sticker in expired USA Passport and the current USA Passport.

Now we are planning our trip to India.

My Questions:-

1) The OCI sticker applied on his expired US Passport. Is it required to transfer 'U' sticker from his expired US passport to current US passport? (OR) Can he travel to India without transfer the 'U' from his expired US Passport to current US passport?
2) Can he travel to India without any issue?
3) Is his PIO card still valid? Can he use PIO card at the time of port of entry in India?
4) What are all the documents he has to show at the time of port of entry in India?
5) On behalf of my son, do I need to contact Indian embassy at the time of port of entry in India?

Your earliest reply will be appreciated.

thanks
dvkboy

Hi,

After that we applied Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) card for him and was issued on 12-OCT-2006 and the 'U' sticker was attached in his expired USA passport.

So my son is holding PIO Card, OCI Booklet, 'U' sticker in expired USA Passport and the current USA Passport.

1) The OCI sticker applied on his expired US Passport. Is it required to transfer 'U' sticker from his expired US passport to current US passport? (OR) Can he travel to India without transfer the 'U' from his expired US Passport to current US passport?
3) Is his PIO card still valid? Can he use PIO card at the time of port of entry in India?
4) What are all the documents he has to show at the time of port of entry in India?
5) On behalf of my son, do I need to contact Indian embassy at the time of port of entry in India?

thanks
dvkboy

Interesting... according to [current] OCI rules, your son is eligible only for PIO, not for OCI. So either the rules have changes since Oct. 2006 or they issued OCI to your son in error. Also, at least these days, if one converts PIO to OCI, the PIO card must be surrendered at the time of collection of OCI docs.

Seems like a tricky situation... I don't have answers to your other questions at this time. My inclination would be contact CGISF and get this clarified and sorted out, but I will defer to the suggestions of others on this forum.

Hi,

thanks
dvkboy

I can only answer Q1. Yes, he can travel provided he carries both his old and new passports. Universally ,it is accepted that a visa on a passport is valid throughout its validity irrespective of the passport itself being expired. So for OCI (which is a nice name fora lifelong visa), it is the same.
http://www.cgisf.org/oc/OCI_FAQS.html
Refer to FAQ #23 (PIO not valid after issue of OCI) and FAQ #27 Will a new visa be issue on new foreign passport after the expiry of the old passport.
So you are good if you carry both the passports
Since the rules have been amended so that OCI can only be issued if at least one of the parents is non-indian citizen, it is ambigous on OCIs issued prior to this ruling. I am guessing that should continue to be valid.

Received my OCI 08/21/08

Received my OCI card and U visa yesterday 08/21/08

07/23/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
08/02/2008 : Acknowledged, Registration Granted, Photo/Signature Scanned
08/05/2008 : Printed
08/06/2008 : Dispatched from Delhi
08/13/2008 : Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO
08/14/2008 : Mailed US Passports
08/21/2008 : Received my OCI card

thanks to the forum and to those helped me with info.

Thanks SFO Consulate..pretty fast
-B

When can I expect my app to be acknowledged? Anyone wants to optimistically say this week or atleast by next week? :)
Still waiting for Ack. (my timeline below)

When can I expect my app to be acknowledged? Anyone wants to optimistically say this week or atleast by next week? :)
Still waiting for Ack. (my timeline below)
Very optimistically: 2 weeks from mail-in date which should be this week (Considering there was a long weekend)

More practial: Next week ( 3 weeks from submission)
Give one more week after that for printing and despatch and the end to end process should be 4-5 weeks from mail-in

What's the average time to get OCI thru SFO office

Hi,

I just became a US citizen and applied for my US Passport last weekend. Hopefully I will get it in a week or so.

I am travelling to India on Oct 16th for 2 weeks. Can I get the OCI done within a month ?
Or am I better applying for a visa ?

If I apply for the OCI, can I also apply for the visa if I think it's not going to reach me on time ?

Thanks.

Hi,

I just became a US citizen and applied for my US Passport last weekend. Hopefully I will get it in a week or so.

I am travelling to India on Oct 16th for 2 weeks. Can I get the OCI done within a month ?

If I apply for the OCI, can I also apply for the visa if I think it's not going to reach me on time ?

Thanks.

I don't think there is enough time for OCI application process to get completed in this time frame. Yes, you can apply for the OCI as well as short-term tourist visa at the same time.

Hi,

Thanks.

Recent timelines (see earlier parts of this thread) for San Francisco indicate the end-to-end processing time near 4-5 weeks. If you send your OCI application by the middle of next week you might have a chance of getting the OCI before you leave but it's still too close.

USCIS Certificate back ??

Quick Question to those went thro' .. After you receive the passport, how long it took to get back our Citizenship Certificate and or Birth Certificate ( In case of minor ), which were send while applying Passport. Appreciate your feedback.

Hey guys,

I finally got my US passport. It actually took only 8 days from the day i applied for them to mail it.

Now I am trying to apply for OCI. But when I go to the online form link, i keep getting an error...anyone else experienced this?