OCI - San Francisco Tracker

I have one question regarding the photo. The cgisf website says

"...You must also submit TOTAL THREE (3) PASSPORT SIZE PHOTOGRAPHS IN COLOR FOR EACH APPLICANT with LIGHT BACKGROUND. THE PHOTOGRAPH MUST SHOW FULL FRONT VIEW OF THE PERSON’S HEAD AND SHOULDERS. Each photograph should be of (SIZE 2" inches X 2" inches) ..."

Who takes photos of that size and also with non-white background? So far that I have taken any passport photos they are all based on white background.

Photos same as (or similar to) US passport type are fine to send. They are not very fussy about photos. You can even take them at home with your digital camera and print them at Costco or Walgreen's, etc. - so long as they 'look like' the examples in http://www.cgisf.org/oc/oci_instructions.html and http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/ICAO-Photo.pdf you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do some consulates say 35mm X 35mm size? If so, people need to be careful based on that.
US Passport is 2"x2" inches, I guess SFO accepts US PP size.

Do some consulates say 35mm X 35mm size? If so, people need to be careful based on that.
US Passport is 2"x2" inches, I guess SFO accepts US PP size.

Part B, instruction #5 says: "Photographs ... should be of square shape of size no less than 35*35 mm ..." Based on this, I don't think any consulate should have a problem with 2"x2" photos.

I emailed the SFO consulate regarding the notarization of copies of PIO card for my son & according to their email response.

"copy of the PIO card needs to be notarized."

I emailed the SFO consulate regarding the notarization of copies of PIO card for my son & according to their email response.

"copy of the PIO card needs to be notarized."

You are right, PIO card copy needs to be notarized. Since it was n/a in our case, I missed that detail in my earlier reply. Sorry about that :(

Proof positive that in spite of a lot of useful advice sought and offered on this forum, it still makes sense to do your own due diligence.

Update: Docs dispatched

07/2/2008 : OCI Application Online.
07/05/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
Registration Status Granted On 18-JUL-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 17-JUL-2008
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 18-JUL-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 22-JUL-2008
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO NOT YET

Questions:
1) when do I mail in the US passport for stamping and Indian passports for cancellation ?
a) after docs have been received in SFO as per online status ?
b) a bit premeptively ?

Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO NOT YET

Questions:
1) when do I mail in the US passport for stamping and Indian passports for cancellation ?
a) after docs have been received in SFO as per online status ?
b) a bit premeptively ?

As has been said many times before, the answer is a).

applications mailed on 07/23/08

i mailed my application on 07/23/08 along with original Indian passports to cancel; But forgot to include duplicate copy for Part A & B. for each applicant.
Mailed the duplicate the next day. SFO office received as per USPS.

I included pre-paid USPS priority mail cover, I received my canceled Indian passport next day.

When will my application show status online?

thanks
b

Self Addressed Express Mail Return Envelope

Ok, thanks. This is a useful compile akgarg, many thanks :)
By the way, for #4, just to re-re-confirm, SFO asks for 'Self-addressed stamped envelope', correct?

I had sent a self addressed express mail return envelope with my original OCI application. My case has been approved (printed), I hope its okay to send my indian and US passports via express mail with out another return envelope? I take it the consulate will have my original return envelope, or should I send another ($16.96?) to be sure? Any suggestions?

Thanks

OCI Docs received in SFO -- will mail the passports tomorrow

less than 30 days to get it! will mail the US and indian passports tomorrow.

Hope they return the cancelled indian passports ?

Will I get back three items in the mail sent by the consulate:
1) US passport with OCI Sticker visa
2) OCI booklet
3) Cancelled indian passport ?

Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO 30-JUL-2008

I saw status RECEIVED today morning and i sent my US passport, Indian Passport for cancellation and self-address pre-paid express mail today.

06/26/2008 : OCI Application Online
06/27/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
07/15/2008 : Acknowledged, Registration Granted, Photo/Signature Scanned
07/16/2008 : Printed
07/18/2008 : Despatched from Delhi
07/30/2008 : Received at San Francisco

I had sent a self addressed express mail return envelope with my original OCI application. My case has been approved (printed), I hope its okay to send my indian and US passports via express mail with out another return envelope? I take it the consulate will have my original return envelope, or should I send another ($16.96?) to be sure? Any suggestions?

Thanks

No need to send another envelope - they kept our stamped envelope for close to 3 months earlier this year and promptly returned our stuff when the time came (in that same envelope). Just make sure the $ amount on the envelope you sent is current - else send additional stamps to make up the difference.

less than 30 days to get it! will mail the US and indian passports tomorrow.

Hope they return the cancelled indian passports ?

Will I get back three items in the mail sent by the consulate:
1) US passport with OCI Sticker visa
2) OCI booklet
3) Cancelled indian passport ?

Yes, that is correct.

thank you

I can see from usps.com that my passports where received at the consulate on 7/31 at 11am. Waiting for them to get back in the mail now -- takes a week is it not ?

Oci

Hello there.

I am about receive my US citizenship pretty soon. And want to be prepared for what is needed to be done for OCI.

How long is it taking nowadays? Looking at other people's applications, it feels like about 1 to 2 months to finish the whole process....?

Hello there.

I am about receive my US citizenship pretty soon. And want to be prepared for what is needed to be done for OCI.

How long is it taking nowadays? Looking at other people's applications, it feels like about 1 to 2 months to finish the whole process....?

Seems like 2-3 months depending on which consulate. Sometimes more or sometimes less depending on luck.

GOT OCI in Hand!

Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO 30-JUL-2008
Passports mailed : 30th July 2008
Passports received at SFO consulate: 31st July 2008
OCI/cancelled passport/US passports received at home : 2nd Aug 2008 10 AM

30 days!!! end to end -- I am impressed.
Needed this for the adoption process we are planning to start from India.
I have been around this board for 10 yrs now -- guess will need to spend some more time here -- also will sponser my parents green card this year.

This is awesome!! Houston is taking 3-4 months for something SF is getting done in 1 month.

Calling Houston!! Beam me up, Scottie!!

From H1 to GC to US citizenship to OCI. I felt i was running IMMIGRATION marathon. I hope this is the end-point.

Good luck to everyone in this forum. This forum rocks :)

06/26/2008 : OCI Application Online
06/27/2008 : OCI papers sent via regular mail
07/15/2008 : Acknowledged, Registration Granted, Photo/Signature Scanned
07/16/2008 : Printed
07/18/2008 : Despatched from Delhi
07/30/2008 : Received at San Francisco
08/02/2008 : Recieved US passport with OCI stamp/Cancelled Indian passport/OCI