OCI - New York Tracker

I agree, I checked status daily and things got updated as events occurred like photo scanned / Printed / sent / received.

Thanks a lot guys. I wasn't depending on my assumption. I saw couple of different threads and compared with mine. Incidentally, it was updated on Friday. May be it was just a coincidence. Regards, sam

My time line for those interested

Here are the details of my son and I at CGINY

MINE (total time 21 days)

Sent application:5th June 2006
Received at CGNY: 7th June 2006
Acknowledgement:13th June 2006
Photos scanned: 14th June 2006
Reg Status:Granted: 15th June2006
Ducuments Printed: 15th June 2006
Ducuments despatched from Delhi: 17th June 2006
Ducuments Recd at CGNY: 26th June 2006

Will go in person to collect once my sons get approved :)

MY SON"S (total time 20 days)

Sent Application: 1st July 2006
Received at CGNY: 3rd July 2006
Acknowledgement: 11th July 2006
Photos Scanned: 12th July 2006
Reg status: Granted 13th July 2006
Ducuments printed: 14th July 2006
Ducuments despatched from Delhi: 17th July 2006
Ducuments received in CGNY: 21st July 2006

I will go next week in person and collect both above :D .

Looks like CGNY is afterall doing a good job compared to some of the US Govt agencies. India is afterall not that slow and careless as you see. thank you Bharath!

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with you

hipka said:
Great, even I have been telling this forum that OCI is better than US and UK immigrant visas.
I totally agree with you .We are just happy in going on blaminmg India for everything and praising the West. They are no better if you ask me. See my time line for confirmation.

Something is really wrong..

This friday will be one month since they recieved my application.

I check the web site and it still says this application has not be acknowledged. So something seems wrong here, no email, no letter nothing.

I am going to call them this afternoon as they say that you can call between 2 & 4 p.m at (212)774-0605

Indian shining --- Decide for yourself

- No response, no acknowledgment either on cancellation of my passport /OCI application
- Web site says "NOT Acknowledged"
- The calls do not reach any live person, recorded message says check site for status.
- Calls in the morning say call in the afternoon between 2 & 4 and in the afternonn same recorded message.

Overall I don't see India shining, even the Department of homeland security sends you a recepit notice as soon as they recieve the application.

honestly I don't even see a glitter of India, let alone shine.

tmadhusudan said:
I totally agree with you .We are just happy in going on blaminmg India for everything and praising the West. They are no better if you ask me. See my time line for confirmation.

You really cannot draw this conclusion based on a small sample size of good experiences. Seems like the majority of applicants are waiting at least 2 to 3 months to get their OCIs with minimum or no support service from the embassy or consulates. While the USCIS by no means can be considered to be doing a good job, it's a fact that they handle far more applications in a month than our embassy or the GOI does with OCI.

That is a exepcted response..

I agree with you, it looks like just a hand few applicants who have already had a PIO card seemed to have got a OCI rather quickly..

All other cases seem to be like most of us waiting with Zero service support of any kind....

Finally someone responsed...

I drop the Indian Consulate a mail however there was no response, so called them and was not able to speak to anyone... only option was to leave a message. So I left a message... suprise,suprise.

They called me after 4 days...

They got my details over the phone and said that I should check the website and the status would apprear after 24hrs.

Do not know what they did but after 24 hrs my status has appeared even more suprising it has already been granted in Delhi however the card has not been mailed out. Dates below..

Mailed: June 28
Acknowledged: July 10
Photo scanned: July 12th
Granted : July 13
Printed : Jully 15th
Dispatched: ....

So it does seem that customer service does exist on a case by case basis.

xkuger, are you POI card holder? It took just a month to approve? I hear from lot of people that it takes 3 months???

I mailed my application yesterday by USPS. I am not POI card holder. I will wait for a month and start checking...

Thanks

No I am not...

I am not a PIO card holder at all...

The only difference is that I sent my old pasport for cancellation with the OIC application. I included a MO for 6$ for returning my cancelled passport which I am yet to get back.

I don't think that should make a difference, however the website claims that you should get status within 30 days...

Getting a child's thumbprint

I just wanted to respond to the people who had a hard time getting their child's thumbprint on the application.

We stalled on sending in a PIO application for the longest time just because we could not get our seven month old's fingers still long enough for the thumbprint (plus she seemed frightened of the stamp pad). Finally though, we just did it when she was sleeping - piece of cake!

It was like taking candy from a baby! :)

The PIO card was done in less than 2 weeks - I was very surprised and pleased. If you have a minor child, I think the PIO card is really the way to go.

I applied for OCI myself, and my timeline seems to be in sync with most people here. Applied mid-May, the consulate called 8 June because I had forgotten to add papers showing my current status here in the US (I have a third country passport), and I faxed them the next day, acknowledgement date 13 June, approved 15 June, arrived NY 26 June.

Unfortunately, I was expecting a call from CGINY when they were done - so I waited and waited, and finally went to their website to get the number to call them - and found out all about the 'no call, just send' policy! I have just send in my passport for the OCI sticker... regular certified mail, so I am kind of nervous about that!

Thanks!

Expecting mine next week

I checked the numbers that the numbers very closed to mine have arrived this week so I expect mine to be in the next week's batch.

What I don't understand is that it was approved on July 13 and mailed on July 18th. how long does it take. :D

How do they send it is a steamer across the indian ocean/atlantic, I though they have secure, diplomatic courier for such stuff..

Xkuger said:
I checked the numbers that the numbers very closed to mine have arrived this week so I expect mine to be in the next week's batch.

What I don't understand is that it was approved on July 13 and mailed on July 18th. how long does it take. :D

How do they send it is a steamer across the indian ocean/atlantic, I though they have secure, diplomatic courier for such stuff..
Mine took 9 days to get to Washington.

Just to share info, I mailed application on 7/31/2006 by USPS certified mail, mail delivered on 8/3/2006 and File acknowledged on 8/8/2006. I got File Ack# online and status shows started "processing"... NYCGI seems to be processing quite fast compared with other CGI offices. Planning for India trip end of this year October. I hope everything will be processed by that time...

Received passports today

My OCI was granted, I mail my passport on Saturday August 5th, Received by consulate on 6th(Yes Sunday). Got my passports back today Aug 10th along with OCI.

Very efficient. India is great!!!

Desikuda, did you send US passport for OCI stamp and India passport for cancellation? Is it mandatory that we have to send India passport too? Do they really ask us to send India passport too?
Thanks in advance

Jusy checked OCI arrived..

I check the website and it indicates that the card has arrived in NY. So i will try to stop by sometime tomorrow and get it stamped, thats a lot cheaper than mailing it in...

Xkuger, after acknowledgement, it took exact 1 month for you. Not bad, quite fast service from NYCGI. Congratulations!!!

IBSUC #86 response

I did not send my indian passports for cancellation, They have all expired and I have obtained visa multiple times on US passport.

I guess based on the this they might have not asked for it.