Oath in two days and have a question.

alii121

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

It has been a long journey from applying for citizenship to recieving my oath letter. Here's the deal. I had not gotten any tickets in the last 4 years. Last one was in June 2004. And with my luck. I get 2 speeding tickets after my interview. 2 tickets in 3 weeks. My oath is on June 27th and my tickets are not due till June 30th and July 21st. Do you guys think I would have any issues at the oath? Please advise. Thanks.

Why don't you pay the tickets before Oath? I have heard from other members that if the ticket is not paid, they don't let you take Oath.

Ouch!! You need to finish paying tickets. They won't let you take the oath until you pay tickets and show proof of payments. Be honest and tell them that you have tickets. They can find out and probably deport you if you don't tell them about tickets.

Be careful with your driving next time, Mr. Nascar driver.

Hello everyone,

It has been a long journey from applying for citizenship to recieving my oath letter. Here's the deal. I had not gotten any tickets in the last 4 years. Last one was in June 2004. And with my luck. I get 2 speeding tickets after my interview. 2 tickets in 3 weeks. My oath is on June 27th and my tickets are not due till June 30th and July 21st. Do you guys think I would have any issues at the oath? Please advise. Thanks.

Despite the fact that everyone is suggesting that you pay the tickets, there are some serious consequences that you should consider before you rush out and pay them. I understand that everyone wants the natz process to be over as quickly as possible, but consider this for a moment. A speeding ticket usually comes with points, which causes your auto insurance premiums to skyrocket for the next few years. TWO speeding tickets may have more severe repercussions, such as license suspension, depending on how fast you were going. If you are absolutely sure that you can't challenge these tickets in court and at least get them reduced, then by all means pay them as quick as possible and don't delay your oath. If, however, there's a chance to get the tickets dismissed or reduced, I'd suggest at least thinking about it before you pay the tickets and possibly open a completely different can of worms with the DMV. My father pleaded guilty to a minor traffic ticket once (a 2 point offense in New York) and his insurance went up significantly for the next 3 years.

I agree with Vorpal..if you can, try to get them reduced in court instead of paying them out flatly. Most DAs will allow you to plead down to 9 miles over speeding limit with no problems or points to your license.

Last edited by a moderator:
On second thought, I agree with Vorpal. It is up to you, alii121. If I were you, I wouldn't risk having my driver license suspended and/or my insurance rates going up.

Do keep this post updated with your case progress. It may be of use to others in the same situation or in the future.

So I am cofused. ( I was born like it)
You guys are suggesting him to delay the oath and wait for the court? What if he shows up for oath and doesn't pay for tickets? what will happen to him? They won't let him take the oath over couple hundred bucks?
Can he go to DMV court and ask for a letter that these are in process and will be taken care of later?

Whoever suggesting a solution, please take a complete step to clarify the whole thing step by step.

Thank you

ya know, you need to have points taken for driving too fast :)
on a serious note, i'd rather deal with higher insurance then not take the oath. weigh both options and decide which is best. but if i were you, i'd pay those and show up with receipt and whatever you can get as proof of payment.

ya know, you need to have points taken for driving too fast :)
on a serious note, i'd rather deal with higher insurance then not take the oath. weigh both options and decide which is best. but if i were you, i'd pay those and show up with receipt and whatever you can get as proof of payment.

I don't know the legal consequences in OP's state, but in NY, two speeding tickets in a short period of time usually equal a license suspension. Besides the typical insurance hike for the tickets themselves, your insurance rates would just about DOUBLE for a license suspension incurred as a result of a traffic violation. Call me crazy, but I would much rather delay my oath than have my license suspended and deal with its results for the next several years. I checked with my father yesterday, and his insurance was raised by around $400 for the next 3 years because of his 2 point traffic summons. The summons was for making a left turn from a non-turning lane.

A friend of mine appeals all tickets she gets. So far, she only paid one of 7. She is US-born citizne though :)

A friend of mine appeals all tickets she gets. So far, she only paid one of 7. She is US-born citizne though :)

seven tickets after interview??? sounds like her license is revoked. Did she tell the oath officer that she had 7 tickets truthfully?

seven tickets after interview??? sounds like her license is revoked. Did she tell the oath officer that she had 7 tickets truthfully?

She's an American by birth - so this has nothing to do with naturalization. But I agree USGC - she has poor moral character and should be denaturalized. :eek: Have her birth record deleted and revoked and deported immediately!

Oh wait -she's not a "2nd class" citizen so there's no fear of that! LOL

She's an American by birth - so this has nothing to do with naturalization. But I agree USGC - she has poor moral character and should be denaturalized. :eek: Have her birth record deleted and revoked and deported immediately!

Oh wait -she's not a "2nd class" citizen so there's no fear of that! LOL

oh right.. duh of me! she was born in usa. you are right, It has nothing to do with naturalization.

If she is not a US citizen, she would have been denied to take an oath.

I've had 5 seatbelt violations in the past 4 years. In NY, it carries no points nor does it affect insurance premiums. Only point offenses affect insurance.

I've also pleaded not guilty to a few traffic violations and ended up winning several of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had 5 seatbelt violations in the past 4 years. In NY, it carries no points nor does it affect insurance premiums. Only point offenses affect insurance.

yeah, but those are not traffic violations. just sort of. it won't suspend/revoke your license since it has no points for seatbelt violations.

yeah, but those are not traffic violations. just sort of. it won't suspend/revoke your license since it has no points for seatbelt violations.

Exactly. Only point violations can result in a suspension. Since a seatbelt offense IS considered a moving violation (you can only be charged with a seatbelt offense while your vehicle is in motion), it can only result in a suspension if you don't answer the summons within a specified period. The suspension is automatically lifted upon payment and insurance remains unaffected.

Hello everyone, and thank you for all the responses. My internet was down for the last few days so I wasn't able to check any of the responses. But I do appreciate your responses. The tickets are not due till June 30th and July 21st. I plan on fighting the first one which was 20 but the 10 over I am just going to pay. Yes, my insurance is going to skyrocket on me but oh well. And I read someone mentioned Mr. Nascar Driver lol..negative on that. I ride a bike and it's just too easy to go fast on it. Can't help it but I will be careful in the future.

I went in for the oath today and on the letter, I checked yes to the citations/violations part. They told me to wait while they checked in to it. The lady who went downstairs and checked on my record was the same lady who interviewed me. She was cool about it and she told me I'm good to go. So, I am not a U.S. Citizen! Thanks to every single one of you who helped me through the process by answering all my questions. And ofcourse, for the moral support I got. I hope people who are waiting get done n over with this. It's an accomplishment. 5 n 1/2 years of waiting and finally you get what you were waiting for. All thanks to Allah who gave me the strength to live in this country, far away from family. Wish me luck with my education and once I am done, I am going to take a break from here and spend some time with my family and friends back in Pakistan Insha'Allah.