Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

My Updates.....

Very long day for me....
Waited waited alomost 3+ hours for Interview and it too a 5 minutes to approve my application.
Then another 3 hours for Oath.

Finally as of today, I'm US citizen.

I will take this opportunity to thank everyone in this forum for sharing knowledge and experience.

Thanks

Hello all! My time has finally come. I mailed my application to the Dallas, TX address. By the look of things it seems like Newark DO is processing applications very quickly. Anyone else just mailed N-400?

Newark, NJ DO
04/12/2009 N-400 Mailed
04/xx/2010 Received Date
04/xx/2010 Check cashed
04/xx/2010 NOA Received
xx/xx/2010 RFE mailed
xx/xx/2010 FP Notice Received
xx/xx/2010 FP Done
xx/xx/2010 Received email - "This case has been sent for a standard interview"
xx/xx/2010 Interview Letter Received
xx/xx/2010 Interview Date

Expedite US Passport:

My Interview Date at Newark is May 4th, 8:00 am. I need to travel to India on 13th. Will it be sufficient time to get US passport and PIO card? Can someone help me with below questions

1) By when will I get my Oath complete (hoep it will be same day in Newark)

2) I live in NJ, for expediate US passport, I guss I have to go to Passport regional office in NewYork.
If in Apply in person, how long does it take for US passport to get issues. I have only PNR for confirmed (no name printed) as proof for travel.
What proof should I take for travel

3) By when should I try taking passport appointment if my interview is on May 4th

4) Any one has experience on how long aftre I get Passport, will it take to get PIO (if I apply in person)

Appreciate any suggestions to be able to travel by May 13th

Thanks in advance

a_chandu_s: we share a name, the date of interview and a similar predicament ! I have the same issue, albeit my travel is on the May 23rd. I have found out from the passport office that you can schedule for an appointment as soon as they issue you a certificate of naturalization. The City Hal office opens at 7:30 A.M. and if you get there soon enough, you can get a same day passport in NYC. Also, I checked with the Indian consulate and the visa to India is another day's worth of work. So just hope and pray that you have no issues during the interview and you should be all set.

1) Newark is supposedly same day processing.

2) Please carry a ticket/e-ticket with your name and dates of travel .

3) Take a passport appointment on the 4th itself, if possible.

4) Do not take a chance with the PIO. Just apply for a visa, deal with the OCI after you get back from your vacation.

Wish you the best !

Last edited by a moderator:
a_chandu_s: we share a name, the date of interview and a similar predicament ! I have the same issue, albeit my travel is on the May 23rd. I have found out from the passport office that you can schedule for an appointment as soon as they issue you a certificate of naturalization. The City Hal office opens at 7:30 A.M. and if you get there soon enough, you can get a same day passport in NYC. Also, I checked with the Indian consulate and the visa to India is another day's worth of work. So just hope and pray that you have no issues during the interview and you should be all set.

1) Newark is supposedly same day processing.

2) Please carry a ticket/e-ticket with your name and dates of travel .

3) Take a passport appointment on the 4th itself, if possible.

4) Do not take a chance with the PIO. Just apply for a visa, deal with the OCI after you get back from your vacation.

Wish you the best !

Couple of comments on this answer : Take passport appointment immediately, it is possible to do so on phone based automated system. Refer to travel.state.gov / how to get passport in a hurry section. Do carry citizenship certificate in original and travel itinerary showing date and your name. You should get passport in 1 day.
In the meanwhile gather all docs for PIO. Now-a-days PIO is as quick as visa. Once you get PIO, you wont be in tension in terms of how long you can wait in india, this is because visa validity starts immediately on the day you get it stamped, it is funny but thats what it is.

Wow arvindkumar1111!! You are moving very fast. I am impressed with the processing time at Newark. I hope I am as fortunate. My timeline is:

04/12/2009 N-400 Mailed
04/13/2010 Received Date
04/xx/2010 Check cashed
04/xx/2010 NOA Received
xx/xx/2010 RFE mailed
xx/xx/2010 FP Notice Received
xx/xx/2010 FP Done
xx/xx/2010 Received email - "This case has been sent for a standard interview"
xx/xx/2010 Interview Letter Received
xx/xx/2010 Interview Date

Go notification that case has been transferred for standard interview. Signature updated. The funny part is wife got an yellow letter but not me - both our cases are similar in nature.

Fianll US Citizen on April 13th, Interview was smooth. Question asked

President party
2 parties in us
who wrote declaration of independence
13 orginal colonies
war in 1900

Received certificate same evening and applied for pasport

Newark Oath done in a court house?

Hi,

I was wondering if the oath ceremony at Newark is done in a court house and presided by a Judge?

I have asked for a name change, so unless the oath ceremony is in a court house, my oath might have to be scheduled for a later date. My interview is for May 6th at Newark.

It will be great if others who have asked for name change can post their experiences and any delays this might have caused.

Thanks,
travel_zealot

Couple of comments on this answer : Take passport appointment immediately, it is possible to do so on phone based automated system. Refer to travel.state.gov / how to get passport in a hurry section. Do carry citizenship certificate in original and travel itinerary showing date and your name. You should get passport in 1 day.
In the meanwhile gather all docs for PIO. Now-a-days PIO is as quick as visa. Once you get PIO, you wont be in tension in terms of how long you can wait in india, this is because visa validity starts immediately on the day you get it stamped, it is funny but thats what it is.

Thank you for your input. I will definitely follow up on your recommendations.

Hi All, did anyone do a name change at Newark and if so, can you please let me know if oath can be done on the same day, or has to be rescheduled for another date in a court house? We are set to move in June and I was hoping that we can complete the process before then, so don't have to do an address change in between, but if the name change adds significant processing delays, then I will probably have to plan something out so we can either extend our lease on a month to month basis or something similar.

Thanks a lot,

I did name change at the time of interview and able to attend the oath on same day. IO printed name change form(court document) which reflects old and new name. Then he asked me to sign the form. That's all I did.

Thank you njdesi! That is a great relief!

Did they give you any certificate that you could later use to update all the official records, such as DL, SSN card, Educational certificates etc.,? How long did these things take and how difficult was this?