Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Passport application at Oath

I have read that some oath sites have USPS officials on hand to accept passport applications, thus saving you the aggravation of mailing out the naturalization certificate. Does anyone know if this is the case at Newark?

Hi all,
Finally, I received my IL for October 28 but the letter says "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview". Is it routine language or does it mean that my oath will be on a separate day. Did anyone get a letter that specifically indicates interview and oath on the same day?

I will very much appreciate your input.

My timeline:

PD- 7/24/2006
Second Fingerprint- 8/22/2008
IL Received- 9/6/2008
Interview-10/28/2008

It's routine language on the I-797C form for interviews. You'll find out at interview if you'll have the oath the same day or not.

Hi all,
Finally, I received my IL for October 28 but the letter says "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview". Is it routine language or does it mean that my oath will be on a separate day. Did anyone get a letter that specifically indicates interview and oath on the same day?

My timeline:

PD- 7/24/2006
IL Received- 9/6/2008
Interview-10/28/2008

As Bobsmyth pointed out, this is standard language. However, Newark DO does offer same day oaths. If your interview is early enough and your case is approved, then you'll probably have your oath on the same day.

I have read that some oath sites have USPS officials on hand to accept passport applications, thus saving you the aggravation of mailing out the naturalization certificate. Does anyone know if this is the case at Newark?

Haven't seen/heard of it after my oath or on this forum so I guess not. Mailing out the certificate is not a big deal IMO: the post office clerk takes care of all of that

Hi all,

My timeline:

PD- 7/24/2006
IL Received- 9/6/2008
Interview-10/28/2008

warsigh - my IL for Newark NJ DO also says "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview". Your timeline is real quick! Just 3 months from PD to ID!! Good luck and hope you get same day oath.

warsigh - my IL for Newark NJ DO also says "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview". Your timeline is real quick! Just 3 months from PD to ID!! Good luck and hope you get same day oath.

Sorry, I missed the year. Still bleary-eyed from thunderstorm siesta! Happy that your wait is coming to an end.

N-400 Timelines

VSC Newark NJ DO
Mailed: 09/04/08
Received Date: 09/08/08
PD:09/08/2008
Check Cashed: 09/10/08
ND:09/11/2008
FP: ??
ID: ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Citizen Finally

I am glad that my looong two year journey has finally ended. My PD is 7/17/06. I finally became a citizen yesterday 9/10/08.

My Interview was scheduled at 9:00 AM, I was interviewed by a very professional IO at 9:45. She took me into her office, made me swear that I will tell the truth and directly started asking questions. She asked me 10 questions all together, all from the list on the USCIS website. She asked me to write "I drive a blue car to work". She went through my application. And said congratulations you have passed the test and you are recommended for citizenship. She gave me the two forms 445 and 652 (I cant rember the numbers correctly). I was out in the waiting room by 9:55.

The waiting started for the Oath ceremony, which took place at 3:00 PM. by 3:20 PM, I was out of the USCIS office. Well, I am glad it is finally over :)

PD: 7/17/2006
FP(1st): 8/5/06
FP(2nd):7/15/08
ID/Oath: 9/10/08

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad that my looong two year journey has finally ended. My PD is 7/17/06. I finally became a citizen yesterday 9/10/08.

My Interview was scheduled at 9:00 AM, I was interviewed by a very professional IO at 9:45. She took me into her office, made me swear that I will tell the truth and directly started asking questions. She asked me 10 questions all together, all from the list on the USCIS website. She asked me to write "I drive a blue car to work". She went through my application. And said congratulations you have passed the test and you are recommended for citizenship. She gave me the two forms 445 and 652 (I cant rember the numbers correctly). I was out in the waiting room by 9:55.

The waiting started for the Oath ceremony, which took place at 3:00 PM. by 3:20 PM, I was out of the USCIS office. Well, I am glad it is finally over :)

PD: 7/17/2006
FP(1st): 8/5/06
FP(2nd):7/15/08
ID/Oath: 9/10/08

Congratulations Bhags. We are in the same boat, my PD is one week after yours. My interview is on October 28. I just hope, mine goes as smooth as yours.

Congratulations Bhags. We are in the same boat, my PD is one week after yours. My interview is on October 28. I just hope, mine goes as smooth as yours.

Thank you Warsigh! It feels good to know that it is all over now:). Good Luck, I am sure yours will go as smoothly as mine.

VSC Newark NJ DO
Mailed: 09/04/08
Received Date: 09/08/08
PD:09/08/2008
Check Cashed: 09/10/08
ND:09/11/2008
FP: ??
ID: ??

Hi..

I have also mailed my application on 09/04/08.. check cashed on 09/08/08 but i haven't recieved yet Notice. I got Receipt number from Scanned check then I called Customer service they told me they have mailed Receipt Notice But i haven't received yet. I also check online.. it says they have recieved it and mailed me notice.. but haven't got it..

Any thoughts? Advise??

Hi..

I have also mailed my application on 09/04/08.. check cashed on 09/08/08 but i haven't recieved yet Notice. I got Receipt number from Scanned check then I called Customer service they told me they have mailed Receipt Notice But i haven't received yet. I also check online.. it says they have recieved it and mailed me notice.. but haven't got it..

Any thoughts? Advise??

It can take up to 2-3 weeks after check is cashed to receive NOA. If you still haven't received it by then, speak to an IO by phone or Infopass for an update.

It can take up to 2-3 weeks after check is cashed to receive NOA. If you still haven't received it by then, speak to an IO by phone or Infopass for an update.

nime1,

Agree with Bob. I just received mine yesterday on Sep 17th. My guess is you should receive it by next week at the latest, if they have mailed it already.

Hi..

Any thoughts? Advise??

I think we are on same timings. my experiance is when they sent any notice it is received within 7 days. if you don't u should call them

09/03/08: Mailed Application
09/04/08: Application received by USCIS
09/08/08: Check cashed
09/13/08: Receipt Notice received
09/18/08: FP notice received
10/07/08: Finger print date
?????????: IL Received
?????????: Interview
?????????: Oath
?????????: US CITIZEN

09/03/08: Mailed Application
09/04/08: Application received by USCIS
09/08/08: Check cashed
09/13/08: Receipt Notice received
09/18/08: FP notice received
10/07/08: Finger print date
?????????: IL Received
?????????: Interview
?????????: Oath
?????????: US CITIZEN

Hi..

Any thoughts? Advise??

How do you get "receipt number" from scanned check? where is it located. My application was received on 09/15 and today (9/18) check was cleared but there are multiple numbers (hand written on front and printed on back) on the check. which one you used?