Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Just to clarify. I got a name change done at Newark during naturalization. I had NOT requested a name change in my original N400 application. During the interview, the officer asked me if I wanted to change my name. I said yes. He printed out the name change form and asked me to sign it. I took the oath the SAME DAY. My naturalization certificate had my new name.

Interestingly, the process seems to be that the name change document is stapled to the natz. certificate. They caution you that "the two are not to be separated, otherwise it is illegal."

Once again, this is from personal experience. I was naturalized in NEWARK, NJ.

This forum has been very helpful. I had this question and had not found a definite clarification posted. Hope this helps others.

Best wishes!

Thanks Clarifier !

Appreciated !!!

copy of birth certificate asked at newark office?

I was reading on an old posting about someone who had interview at Mt Laurel that he was asked to show Birth Certificate even though it was not on the IL.

I was wondering, has anyone been asked at the Newark office to show birth-certificate? And why would they want to see it? Evidence of your birthdate is already available via your passport, your GC and your driver's license.

IL Letter Recd

Just posting my details.

Newark/VSC
Application mailed - 6/9/2008
Application received - 6/10/08 NOA says #days to expect for notification 365 days
Priority date - 6/10/2008
Check cashed - 6/17/2008
Notice date - 6/13/2008
Notice received - 6/18/2008
Fingerprint appt notice -6/19/2008
Fingerprint appt date - 7/15/2008
Case status disappeared online - 8/19/2008
Interview letter received - 8/21/2008
Interview scheduled - 10/16/2008

Here's my update...Got the interview letter/date

NEWARK,NJ Center
07/02/08: N-400 Mailed to VSC
07/05/08: USPS Confirmed Delivery
07/??/08: Check Cashed
07/18/08: Priority Date
07/18/08: Notice Date
??/??/08: NOA Received (I-797C)
07/24/08: FP Notice Received
08/09/08: FP Appointment
08/21/08: Interview Letter Received

10/27/08: Interview Date
??/??/??: Oath Letter
??/??/??: Oath Date

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks compaqdb. I wish everyone good luck.

But I am almost sure that my oath date will be delayed (assuming I pass the interview of course) because I know that I have an older A-file (EAD for F1 Opt Training); so I am thinking that I will run into the same problem that others have posted about. Is there anything I can do now that will ensure that the IO has the second file by the time of the interview? Isn't the NBC supposed to merge older A-files at the time of I485 AOS?

genejock2008,

You will likely have the same day oath. The old A-file issue mentioned in the previous thread was an isolated case, in my opinion. Almost everyone has some kinds of "old" A files and most likely will not delay the process.

Many of us were F-1 then OPT then H-1 then GC, same as you. So don't worry about the "old A file" issue.

I was reading on an old posting about someone who had interview at Mt Laurel that he was asked to show Birth Certificate even though it was not on the IL.

I was wondering, has anyone been asked at the Newark office to show birth-certificate? And why would they want to see it? Evidence of your birthdate is already available via your passport, your GC and your driver's license.
I have read in the forums that the IO someimes asks for birth certificate though it was sent with GC application. Passport is only a secondary evidence of birthdate. So it is good to take birth certificate for the interview. Also various documents Johnycash has specified in the sticky.

I have read in the forums that the IO someimes asks for birth certificate though it was sent with GC application. Passport is only a secondary evidence of birthdate. So it is good to take birth certificate for the interview. Also various documents Johnycash has specified in the sticky.

njman08,

Does your online status still appear?

When did you receive IL, and what is the date on it, and when did you receive it, if you don’t mind sharing? I am trying to see, how many days in advance they are sending IL.

njman08,

Does your online status still appear?

When did you receive IL, and what is the date on it, and when did you receive it, if you don’t mind sharing? I am trying to see, how many days in advance they are sending IL.
sap283,
I received IL on 08/04/08. IL date (Notice date) is 07/28/08. My online status still shows as 'Case received and pending'.

Hope this helps.

Wife's Oath completed 9/3/08

Wife's Oath completed 9/3/08. No issue with the 86 days travel after interview.

Another good news for Newark, NJ citizens. You can go to the SSA office at 10th floor to get the SSA records updated for new citizenship. Only a picture id and the Citizenship Certificate required.

I completed mine and my wife's SSA application in 10 mins.

Wife's Oath completed 9/3/08. No issue with the 86 days travel after interview.

Another good news for Newark, NJ citizens. You can go to the SSA office at 10th floor to get the SSA records updated for new citizenship. Only a picture id and the Citizenship Certificate required.

I completed mine and my wife's SSA application in 10 mins.

Congrats! It is good information about SSA office.

09/03/08: Mailed Application
09/04/08: Application received by USCIS
09/08/08: Check cashed
09/13/08: Receipt Notice received
?????????: Fingerprinted
?????????: IL Received
?????????: Interview
?????????: Oath
?????????: US CITIZEN

Last edited by a moderator: