Newark Nightmare interview&day-Good outcome!!!

Wetback4life

Registered Users (C)
Ok, so my appointment was yesterday SEP 22, @920, in Newark.
I parked behind the building $14 for the whole day (not bad)
I got there @ 8am, went upstairs to the 14th floor, to be told by the security guard that she couldn't allow me in until 850, so i was told to go the cafeteria and wait. I went back up at 850, and gave my letter to the lady at the window -again this is all on the 14th floor, the room was halfway packed but again the room is small, there were maybe 20 people waiting, everyone went in very fast except for me, i noticed that just about everyone was getting approved and the IOs were very very friendly, 1030 came around with a new bunch of people to be interviewed and i still hadn't be called, so i approached the window and showed the lady my green card, she looked for my appointment letter and my file but she couldn't find it, until i saw she went into a box that said: CASES TO BE RE-VERIFIED, and my file had a big note that said , to be interviewed on the 15th floor. The lady told me that my case was going to go upstairs and someone will take me up along with 2 other people, 10 minutes after that, a lady officer with a very nice body :)took us upstairs and told us to wait that we will be called and interviewed there. @ this point I'm already freaking out because , there is something wrong with my case that is why im being re-verified ( that is my thinking at the moment). Well its about 11 and i hadn't had anything to eat, or drink since my 7am coffee, and i couldn't get up to leave the room on the 15th floor because i could be called at any moment. The room on the 15th floor is big ,there were more than 200 people waiting,and a lot of IOs , some of them didn't look friendly at all. There i was just me ,without my wife who couldn't go because she had a job interview @ 12 in NYC. Well 3pm came around people got approved , went to the oath ceremony and i still hadn't be called, i approached the window , the girl at the window didn't even hear what i was asking she just told me to sit down that it can take up to 5 hours before being called in.
At around 320 pm, a tall black lady calls my name to window 3, which is weird because they dont call you up to the windows unless you were already approved after your interview, you are usually called to the door so you can go in and have your interview but anyways i go up to the window and i noticed her last name on her id and the word "Supervisor" under her name.
this is exactly what she says to me at the window in front of every one
"Do you even have any bank statement to show as proff since you are marriage based"? Little did she know i had CRATE full and i mean full of every single statement, bills, etc that me and my wife saved ever since we got married.
I said sure (being firm and very confident)
she replied let me see them,
i went ahead picked up the crate from the floor and put it in in front of the window, i gave her a folder about 7 inched thick with bank statements since 05, and i said to her pick any year, its there,
she then asked me if i had any insurance together with my wife
i said sure, i gave her, 3 folder all of then about 5 inches thick, 1 for motor vehicles stuff, the cars under our names, registrations, another folder with health insurance stuff, and another with life insurance policies. All this in front of everyone, with an attitude towards me while everyone is looking, she talked to me like if i was or had committed fraud or something. Then she told me to go to door 1 for the interview.
She let me into her office , she locked the door, told me not to sit down, she swored me in , and then proceeded to explain that i hadnt sent any proof of marriage along with my n400 application. Which was B.S, i wasnt going to argue with her , i just told her to ask for anything she needed because i had my whole life and my wife's in that crate. In the meantime i noticed that she had all the papaer work that we gave them for AOS, and all the paper work we sent in for my i751.After that she verified the stuff in the app, and then proceeded to ask the 6 civic questions
-in what month do we vote for president
-how many voting members in the house of reps?
-name 1 war fought in the 1900s?
-who was the 1st president?
-how many years are representatives elected for?
-what is the law of the land?
she made me read who was the 1st president
she made me write - george washington was the first president
after that she made me sign like 5 papers, she never once explained to me what i was signing and everything was quick so i couldnt even read what it was, but at this point i'm thinking well, if anything was wrong i wouldnt be signing all these papaers, she got up and told me to wait outside for 10 minutes that she will call me to the window again.
So there i'm sitting in the waiting room again, wondering what that fu** just happened in there, did i pass? did i fail? is my case going to go pending? everyone who got approved left the interview room with a white sheet of paper, i was left with nothing but a " wait outside"
after 30 minutes she called me to the window, and in a very bad manner she said congratulation you have passed and threw the paper under the window, she said to wait until you are called to sign the certificate, and she went back in, god knows where.
a little bit after i was called to sign the certificate, and then i knew i had it, i did the oath @ 430 and was out of there by 5pm,hungry , tired and a little mad at the IOs attitude , she made me feel like i was getting something that i didnt deserve, when I'm sure im way more educated that she is, I have a Maters degree and i have my own practice, I was wearing a suit, i noticed some people wore jeans, sneakers, some even looked dirty, but anyways who cares im a citizen now, and i dont ever have to deal with the USCIS ever again.
Moral of the story, whenever you go take every single piece of proof that you can think of, it will only help you it can never work against you. I also thanked god for helping me and asking to help that IO be a happy person and give her a better life :).

Congratulations..don't let the IO's attitude ruin your moment. Newark sees a large amount of fraudulent marriage cases which causes the IOs to closely look at every marriage based application they come across. However, that doesn't give them the right to make you wait so long or act rudely when you clearly had all the information.

Congratulations..don't let the IO's attitude ruin your moment. Newark sees a large amount of fraudulent marriage cases which causes the IOs to closely look at every marriage based application they come across. However, that doesn't give them the right to make you wait so long or act rudely when you clearly had all the information.

Why don't these people whopse marriage are fraudulent wait another TWO years? I understand maybe people are deperrate to get GC at such risk
but for citizenship it should be different.

Or could be USCIS only denied marriage-based N400 application if they
consider marriage to be bogus but never pursue them further. So
the only risk is $ 675 but nothing else?

Why don't these people whopse marriage are fraudulent wait another TWO years?
For the same reason some people are willing to take risks such as drinking and driving..the risk of getting away with it is worth it to them and their circumstance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, my marriage wasnt bogus, i wish they would have asked for my wife and I to appear together, i also noticed that they weren't allowing the spouses to into the interview rooms, only the applicants.

Unbelieveable....firstly congratulations! You have a lot more patience than I do. I can't believe you were there from 8a-4:30pm.....without anything to eat or drink....what a bunch of b/s.....Secondly f%^& them for being a bunch of a#$holes......this sort of behavior gets me fired up........Never in a million years would I have carried the amount of documentation you did; good for you - I'm glad your day ended well and once again Congratulations!

LOL - that's a riot!
Kong Rats, though!

my N400 was also marriage based and i remember carrying the huge bag of doc's ... IO didn't look at a damn thing hehe.

Hey Wetback4life,

How did your wife's job interview at NYC go?

Hope she get through too and gets the job.

So, my GC is emp based and my wife's is based on her marriage to me.

Does that mean that my wife will have to show 'a crate full of proof of marriage' during her N400 interview?

So, my GC is emp based and my wife's is based on her marriage to me.

Does that mean that my wife will have to show 'a crate full of proof of marriage' during her N400 interview?

Is her N-400 marriage based? (Not GC, but naturalization application).

@ one point i thought about just going off on them but i know it wouldnt have helped at all, the ball was on their court. I even told the IO in the interview room to call my wife, but she said it wasn't necessary, My wive's interview got cancelled but i couldnt even talk to her since i left my cell in the car. I know that they didnt want to inteview me and were going to give me another interview date until i started showing them all the files with the paperwork, i'm just glad i'm done and i dont ever have to see their faces ever again. If anyone is reading this and is going for an interview soon, just make sure you are ready to go to battle-bring as much paperwork as you can.

>Is her N-400 marriage based? (Not GC, but naturalization application).

It is based on her Green Card (Five years after she got her green card)

Thanks,
Krishna

Congrats

Congrats
I should say you have good patience and better head on your shoulder
I agree its frustrating, but the only option is to stay cool. You know day will pass eventually.

BTW, You mean you carried small beriefcase of all documents.
I have all my documents, but how may years back documnets you need to carry I guess a year would be fine.

Congratulations once more

>Is her N-400 marriage based? (Not GC, but naturalization application).

It is based on her Green Card (Five years after she got her green card)

Thanks,
Krishna

They don't ask for extensive evidence of marriage for 5 year based applications. They may ask for marriage certificate, but that's about it.