NEW THREAD FOR 420 -CSOFT-NJ based company

unitednations said:
The state that has jurisdiction to tax you is where you "earned the money". Wherever, you physically did the work generally has taxing authority.

If another state collected the money (ie., maine) then you would file a non resident return of that state and complete the form which shows how many days you worked in maine and elsewhere. You would get a refund and then complete a tax return in the state where you earned the money. YOu would then file a return in that state and pay money to that state.

UN, however there is a chance that Cyber only applied for H1 to work in a particular state ie. NJ or NY(for Technologies500). If that is the case, and if I still worked in Texas at the client location, will that cause any issue if I file taxes as in Texas.

Pareshan4GC said:
LostBattle,

Take a infopass and go to a USCIS center and talk to them, they have higher level of access. I did the same and I got more information at the infopass center .

Good luck
How do i get infopass? Sorry for my ignorance.

UN & others: any comments on what can be the reasons behind LUD changes?

Thanks, UN.

Okay, as far as Maine is concerned I understood your answer. But here is my dilemma, Upto August 2005 Cysft deducted taxes from Maine. After that For September 2005, I was paid by Technologies500 Holdings & Educ, Inc(the company that bought Cysft assets according to Mr. N). This company is New York based.

I do not have a tax break up for the Sept-2005, since they did not provide me with a pay stub..only check.

It seems that for sept-05, the taxes were deducted from Maine too. I calculated the gross pay from check amount and hence the deductions.

Now, do I need to file a return for NY state too ? since Technologies500 is registered out of NY state.

thanks. and sorry if I confused you too with my lengthy question.

unitednations said:
The state that has jurisdiction to tax you is where you "earned the money". Wherever, you physically did the work generally has taxing authority.

If another state collected the money (ie., maine) then you would file a non resident return of that state and complete the form which shows how many days you worked in maine and elsewhere. You would get a refund and then complete a tax return in the state where you earned the money. YOu would then file a return in that state and pay money to that state.

unitednations said:
you applied in august 2005. You have been following this thread.

Why do you think there is LUD changes?

It is a denial. Haven't you prepared yourself for that, or did you think you were going to be one of the lucky few?

I am prepared for the denial from the very beginning. :) ..Wish I was one of the lucky few... But really did not know why LUD changed as I have not gotten the letter yet, although i suspected that was the case but was not sure.I am expecting the letter soon now based on your conclusion.

uts2004 said:
Thanks, UN.

Okay, as far as Maine is concerned I understood your answer. But here is my dilemma, Upto August 2005 Cysft deducted taxes from Maine. After that For September 2005, I was paid by Technologies500 Holdings & Educ, Inc(the company that bought Cysft assets according to Mr. N). This company is New York based.

I do not have a tax break up for the Sept-2005, since they did not provide me with a pay stub..only check.

It seems that for sept-05, the taxes were deducted from Maine too. I calculated the gross pay from check amount and hence the deductions.

Now, do I need to file a return for NY state too ? since Technologies500 is registered out of NY state.

thanks. and sorry if I confused you too with my lengthy question.

You dont need to file NY tax return as you have not stayed or worked there and the company has not withheld tax from that state.
How can you calculate the gross pay and deductions based on a check? How can you prove that the company deducted taxes without paycheck and paystub?

gc12gc said:
Any one know how we can Track our SSN & Medicare deductions for 2005? Please share Info..

I called HR Block to file TAxes and they suggested us to file after February 10th using some Substitute W2 form.

Called SSN office today and they said they will get information from IRS and IRS will collect Medicare & SSN Taxes. So just we have to file our taxes based on PAY stub and rest IRS Will take care .

SSN / Medicare taxes

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the authority on all tax matters,
including the collection and refund of Social Security taxes. All
matters pertaining to proper filing are under the jurisdiction of the IRS.

You can direct your questions to the IRS by any of the following
methods:

-- calling their toll-free telephone number,
1-800-829-1040; or

-- calling or visiting any local IRS office; or

-- writing to the national address of the IRS below:

Internal Revenue Service
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20224

or

-- accessing their Web site at the following Internet address:

http://www.irs.gov

For tax forms, call 1-800-829-3676.

One more question on Taxes

One of my friend is working with Amway or Quixstar. This fellow is on H1 and he gets 1099-Misc every year. Is it OK to get the money on 1099- Misc while on H1?

number30 said:
One of my friend is working with Amway or Quixstar. This fellow is on H1 and he gets 1099-Misc every year. Is it OK to get the money on 1099- Misc while on H1?

It depends. If he get money as "passive income from business", it's fine. It's difficult to comment without knowing all the details - his position in Amway etc. On the face value, assuming he is just another Amway/Quixstar member desperately trying to become a "diamond member" and active in business (looking for new members in malls, stores), his income looks illegal.

To the guys who knows about it!

Hi,

I changed my employer from CST and he is filing my labot fresh next month. He wants to file my 140 immediatly after the labor get approved.
So, my concern is...

Can we move out of the company 6 months after filing the 140?
or 6 months after the 140 approved?
or only 6 months after the 485 is filed?

Sorry if this question looks foolish!!!

H1 Extension issue.

There seems to be a confusion whether or not an extension can be obtained based on a pending Labor in someone else's name....could anyone please share the knowledge (link,source etc.) ? Also there is a confusion over the way to get a 7th,8th year H1 extension when the Labor was filed after 6th year of H1 kicked in.....some people says that you can get an extension as long as the petition is 365 days old, regardless whether it was filed in 6th year or 7th..is that true ?? :confused: Sheela Murthy seems to be suggesting this to someone in her chat session...anyone has any clue ?? anyone among CST victims could please share the experience ? Thanks...

hiUS said:
Hi,

I changed my employer from CST and he is filing my labot fresh next month. He wants to file my 140 immediatly after the labor get approved.
So, my concern is...

Can we move out of the company 6 months after filing the 140?
or 6 months after the 140 approved?
or only 6 months after the 485 is filed?

Sorry if this question looks foolish!!!
6 months after the 485 is filed.
140 should also be approved, but some argue that it is not required as per the AC21 rule.

pralay said:
It depends. If he get money as "passive income from business", it's fine. It's difficult to comment without knowing all the details - his position in Amway etc. On the face value, assuming he is just another Amway/Quixstar member desperately trying to become a "diamond member" and active in business (looking for new members in malls, stores), his income looks illegal.

Of Course even i can guess it. I was looking for some one who has first hand information on this kind of issues.

Case Transferred to Newark, NJ

I'm a CST victim. I filed GC thru CST and it got denied in Sep'05 but in the meantime I filed 140, 485 thru another company using original labor. But now everything got transferred to Newark, NJ. Is anyone in that situation.

number30 said:
Of Course even i can guess it. I was looking for some one who has first hand information on this kind of issues.

If you guessed it already, then what your question? It's illegal unless it's his passive income. In Amway business hardly any person earns money as passive income. Therefore, there is 99.99% chance that he violating immigration law. Why don't you ask your "friend"? That would be your most reliable "first hand information".

help_me2 said:
I'm a CST victim. I filed GC thru CST and it got denied in Sep'05 but in the meantime I filed 140, 485 thru another company using original labor. But now everything got transferred to Newark, NJ. Is anyone in that situation.

did you file another I-140, I-485 after or before CST's denial?

number30 said:

Ask your friend box number in which earnings are reported on 1099. That can give better idea. I know lot of them say it is legal.

number30 said:

The following is the iformation given by attorney Murthy.

What is Unauthorized Employment?
It is not necessary to work for an existing business as an employee in order to be engaged in unauthorized employment. When one establishes a business, even on a part-time basis from home, s/he is considered to be working in the United States. Thus, if one is present in a status that does not allow employment or that only permits employment with a specific sponsoring employer, this person is engaging in unauthorized self-employment. This remains the case even if the involvement is fairly passive, such as in some Internet-based businesses and certain multi-level marketing operations. Therefore, while the temptation to earn some extra money is often strong, and many non-work authorized spouses would like to be able to contribute financially to the household, it is not permissible in these sorts of situations.

Incorporation Not Required
When speaking in terms of having one's own business or being self-employed, it is not necessary to have formed a corporation or LLC or a partnership. Even if no legal business entity is created, there can be self-employment without authorization.

CSFT Denials statistics

Originally Posted by help_me2

Where did you file this Vermont or California

Thanks
Mumtokbem