• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

New baby question

fSarah

Hi Everybody,
I've been quietly reading and following this forum for a long time, and it's been very helpful... Now I have a particular question I wanted to consult with all you knowledgable people.

My husband (the principal applicant) won the DV-2014, we've already been to the consulate in March and everything went OK. We received our passport with the visas - for my husband, our 2 sons and for me. During our interview at the consulate (which took place on March) I was pregenant, and in May I gave birth to our third son. We issued a passport for him immediately, and wrote to the consulate to see how to issue a visa for him. This was their reply:
"A child born abroad to an accompanying parent after issuance of an immigrant visa to the parent, but prior to the parent’s initial admission as an immigrant, may board a flight to the United States with no further documentation as long as the child has a passport or is listed in a parent’s passport and is in possession of the birth certificate"

On one hand, that makes sense. But on the other hand, it worries me...The baby is actually travelling to the US with no visa... only passport and birth certificate... can we be sure that the immigration officer at the POE won't give us problems?
And another question - how do we arrange for the baby to have a resident status? We're planning to travel in July to the US to "activate" the visa (it's valid until August), stay 3 weeks and go back to our country for a few more months before we move permanently. Is there anything we should do when we're there now?

I would highly appreciate any input you have! Thanks!

Just take that same letter you got from the consulate, and take same photos with you, you won't face any trouble at the poe they will proceed you baby as an LPR.
And they will send his GC to the adress you provided.

Hi Everybody,
I've been quietly reading and following this forum for a long time, and it's been very helpful... Now I have a particular question I wanted to consult with all you knowledgable people.

My husband (the principal applicant) won the DV-2014, we've already been to the consulate in March and everything went OK. We received our passport with the visas - for my husband, our 2 sons and for me. During our interview at the consulate (which took place on March) I was pregenant, and in May I gave birth to our third son. We issued a passport for him immediately, and wrote to the consulate to see how to issue a visa for him. This was their reply:
"A child born abroad to an accompanying parent after issuance of an immigrant visa to the parent, but prior to the parent’s initial admission as an immigrant, may board a flight to the United States with no further documentation as long as the child has a passport or is listed in a parent’s passport and is in possession of the birth certificate"

On one hand, that makes sense. But on the other hand, it worries me...The baby is actually travelling to the US with no visa... only passport and birth certificate... can we be sure that the immigration officer at the POE won't give us problems?
And another question - how do we arrange for the baby to have a resident status? We're planning to travel in July to the US to "activate" the visa (it's valid until August), stay 3 weeks and go back to our country for a few more months before we move permanently. Is there anything we should do when we're there now?

The child will be granted LPR status upon entering. You won't have any problem - there is a process in place - it is not that rare. You might have a harder time checking in with the airline. Since you have visas, they won't be concerned at your authorization to travel to the USA - but the child won't have that visa OR the ESTA. If the airline staff know what they are doing, you'll be ok - but if I were you I would take the letter from the consulate as something to show them if they are confused. It might even be worth a call to the airline before you travel to check they will implement the rule correctly.

Hi Everybody,

The email from the embassy is absolutely correct. Take it along with you and present it to the airline. The information from the email is actually from the U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual Volume 9, yolu can also print it out and take it along with you - see link below:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87519.pdf