N-400 San Francisco timeline

for traffic citations. i failed to mention at application. do i have to discuss theose citation at interview?
also when i check my passport and found out that one trip took 3 year ago, there were no entry stamp from immigration office. i did not notice that until now what i am supposeed to do?
thanks lot if anyone offer helps

Last edited by a moderator:
m38 said:
for traffic citations. i failed to mention at application. do i have to discuss theose citation at interview?
also when i check my passport and found out that one trip took 3 year ago, there were no entry stamp from immigration office. i did not notice that until now what i am supposeed to do?
thanks lot if anyone offer helps

Traffic citation for minor offense such as speeding ticket ( not DUI etc ..) is generally not a problem. I didn't mention at the time of filing N-400 application, but I did disclose it at the interview. The office didn't requiest any proof of payment etc . ( although it's good to have it just in case they ask for it). She just make a note in application.

Regarding your trip 3 years ago, if you mentioned it in N-400 application ( even though there is no entry stamp) , you are OK. It's not your fault that immigration office didn't stamp it. If you didn't mention it during N-400, please let them know during interview.

One of the purpose of interview is - to correct any issues, updates, information in application.

Don't stress out ! You will be fine. Take it easy !

Oath: How much time it takes for Oath Process

Hi,

Anyone know how much time it takes for Oath process. My Oath is tomorrow at SF.

Can you also provide me brief process of the Oath

Thanks and Regards,
V

Oath Completed.

Hi All,

Just want to share with everyone in the forum that we became US Citizens yesterday. Around 1250 people took part in Oath cermony at Masonic Center.

The process took around 90 minutes. Started at 9 AM and finished by 10:30 AM. Whole process conducted efficiently and professionally by USCIS.

Some of the info I came to know from the Oath ceremony which I would like to share with everyone.

1. You shouldn't put Naturalization certificate in the mail other than applying for the passport for the first time
2. State Department will return your naturalization certificate when the passport mailed to you.
3. You can copy this ceritificate and use the same for sponsoring Visas
4. It will be taking 8 weeks for getting passport as the state department is very busy with rush for the passports. Normal time is 6 weeks. This is because by this year end all the travelers to Mexico and Canada has to carry his/her passport.
5. If you need the Passport very urgent you can go to SF State department office OR You can apply for the urgent processing

Thank you everyone in the forum for helping me with the valuable information.

harpers_ferry said:
Hi All,

Just want to share with everyone in the forum that we became US Citizens yesterday. Around 1250 people took part in Oath cermony at Masonic Center.

The process took around 90 minutes. Started at 9 AM and finished by 10:30 AM. Whole process conducted efficiently and professionally by USCIS.

Some of the info I came to know from the Oath ceremony which I would like to share with everyone.

1. You shouldn't put Naturalization certificate in the mail other than applying for the passport for the first time
2. State Department will return your naturalization certificate when the passport mailed to you.
3. You can copy this ceritificate and use the same for sponsoring Visas
4. It will be taking 8 weeks for getting passport as the state department is very busy with rush for the passports. Normal time is 6 weeks. This is because by this year end all the travelers to Mexico and Canada has to carry his/her passport.
5. If you need the Passport very urgent you can go to SF State department office OR You can apply for the urgent processing

Thank you everyone in the forum for helping me with the valuable information.

Thanks for the update.

Can we talk to immigration officers during Oath process ? I would like to ask them about name change for my wife .

Did you notice any cases with name changes by any chance ?

Regards,

Name change at Oath ?

Are you referring to name change on the Naturalization certificate. If yes.. They set up a resolution center for corrections on Naturalization certificate. Every new citizen has to verify the personal details(DOB, Height, Country origin, Green Card #, Name ) on his/her Naturalization certificate. If they need corrections then they can go to resolution center to rectify.

Thanks,
V
helper00 said:
Thanks for the update.

Can we talk to immigration officers during Oath process ? I would like to ask them about name change for my wife .

Regards,

helper00 said:
Thanks for the update.

Regards,
Please let us know if you find the answer after oath. I want to know too. Thanks a lot!!!!

Helper00:

Since I want to change name too, we are on the same boat. I have to reschedule my oath because I need to go a business trip. So if you could find the details and let me know, it'll be greatly appreciated.

The question is how do we proceed?
1. Take oath, get naturalization cert, {apply passport}, go to court change name, get a new naturalization cert, get a new passport or
2. Take oath, get naturalization cert, go to court change name, get passport?

Thanks

Jurisdiction: CSC/San Francisco DO - Oakland
Application Sent : 11/03/2005
Application Received : 11/05/2005
Check Cashed : 11/15/2005
Received Date on Receipt : 11/07/2005
Priority Date on Receipt : 11/07/2005
Notice Date on Receipt : 11/19/2005
Receipt Notice Letter Sent On : 11/21/2005
Received Official Receipt : 11/23/2005
Online Status Appeared : 11/23/2005
FP Notice Date : 11/19/2005
FP Notice Date Sent On : 11/21/2005
FP Notice Received On : 11/23/2005
FP Date (on notice) : 12/09/2005
FP Taken On : 12/03/2005 (out of town on 12/09 and
so went early, request accepted)
FP sent to and results returned by FBI : 12/03/2005
Interview Notice Date: 12/14/2005
Interview Notice Date Sent On: 12/15/2005
Interview Notice Received On: 12/16/2005
Interview Date: 02/16/2006 (Oakland Office - 1301 Clay St)
Oath Notice Date: 02/18/2006
Oath Notice Date Sent On: 02/21/2006
Oath Notice Date Received On: 02/23/2006
Oath Date: 03/07/2006
Oath Ceremony Location + Time: Masonic Center, 9.00 am

The Oath letter was posted from Laguna Niguel

4 months from application --> oath.

Didn't anticipate that it would/could have been processed any faster ::)

Will post the oath ceremony details..and will continue be a part of the forum for quite sometime..Everyone here has been very helpful and I guess it's time to reciprocate..

kdesai said:

Will post the oath ceremony details..and will continue be a part of the forum for quite sometime..Everyone here has been very helpful and I guess it's time to reciprocate..

You must be very happy today ;)

CONGRATULATION
:)

kdesai said:

Congratulations ! As I predicted, you got the letter ( within 2 weeks ) with Oath date of 03/07. I have the similar Oath date.

Regards

helper00 said:
Congratulations ! As I predicted, you got the letter ( within 2 weeks ) with Oath date of 03/07. I have the similar Oath date.

Regards

Thanks Suzy977 and helper00.

One more monkey off the back after the oath..and then in line to apply for the passport and then onto OCI - so there you go again at the mercy of someone else now.. hopefully with a seemingly less non-chalant attitude this time...

Wish you all good luck too...

US Passport right after Oath

Has anyone applied for US passport right after Oath by giving the Passport Application to Passport official ( right after ceremonny in the Nob Hill Masonic Center only) .

I would like to make a copy of certifcate of naturalization before applying before submitting application.
Do they some kind of faclity to make a copy before handing over the application.

Please comment :)

sfbayguy said:
Update for the group,

My Oath was at Masonic Auditorium in SF this morning. 1252 new US citizens were sworn in. Got there at around 8:45. At the door, an officer took the apptmnt letter, verified that all questions were answered at the back, took the GC and sent people inside to specific sections of the auditorium. If family and friends accompany you, they have to sit in the balcony section. Only Oath takers sit in the main auditorium area.

From 9:00 to 10:00 a USCIS officer gave information on Natz. cert, how the ceremony would proceed, what to do once certificate was received, how to get any mistakes corrected on site etc. Also screened a couple of video's. This also allowed time for the USCIS to print the 1252 Natz. Certificates for all oath takers.

Ceremony started at 10:00 and was done by 10:30, Oath was administered by USCIS SF district director. After the ceremony finished, all of us remained seated in the auditorium and USCIS officers came to different sections and handed out certificates (We were seated in the order we arrived in 10 different sections, so the distribution was quite organized and efficient). Was out by 10:40 after making sure all the information on the cert was accurate.

Applied for US Passport this afternoon at local post office ($97 total), regular processing. Now waiting for Passport (~ 6 weeks)

Again thanks to all who post and provide guidance, timelines. I'll be around to help future applicants.

Is there ample parking in/around Masonic auditorium since I don't expect to
reach there by 8.45 am ?? The earliest I can drop my son in daycare is 7.30 am
and coming from east bay to SFO by car will take atleast 60-75 minutes..and
so wanted to find out the same.

thanks for the help.

kdesai said:
Is there ample parking in/around Masonic auditorium since I don't expect to
reach there by 8.45 am ?? The earliest I can drop my son in daycare is 7.30 am
and coming from east bay to SFO by car will take atleast 60-75 minutes..and
so wanted to find out the same.

thanks for the help.

I am taking BART. I find its best bet if you want to there by 8:45 AM . You have to get out at Powel Station and its about 20 minute walk. No need to worry about parking, unexpected traffic ( you know - Muprhy's law :) etc.

Regards

supernet said:
Please let us know if you find the answer after oath. I want to know too. Thanks a lot!!!!

I took Oath today. The whole process took about 1:30 hr and we got naturalization certficate after the ceremony. I am USC now :D

Supernet,

I asked about name change. The immigration official told me that San Francisco and San Jose offices DO NOT do name change during naturalization process . You have to go to local court.
One rule is :
If you have california marriage license, you wife gets your last name automatically. Otherwise, you have to get the name change. In Alameda county, it takes about 8-10 weeks for whole process.

I guess the best way is to apply for US Passport and then get the name change.

Regards.

helper00 said:
I took Oath today. The whole process took about 1:30 hr and we got naturalization certficate after the ceremony. I am USC now :D

Supernet,

I asked about name change. The immigration official told me that San Francisco and San Jose offices DO NOT do name change during naturalization process . You have to go to local court.
One rule is :
If you have california marriage license, you wife gets your last name automatically. Otherwise, you have to get the name change. In Alameda county, it takes about 8-10 weeks for whole process.

I guess the best way is to apply for US Passport and then get the name change.

Regards.

Reached late at 9.10 am..thanks to bay bridge traffic..In fact I
noticed people arriving as late as 9.55 am for the 9 am ceremony.

Until 10 - 10.15 am not much, video showing some stuff on
immigration, and then on the local/district INS director explaining
some basic stuff about sending the original naturlization certificate
after full signature for passport only, and to send copy at other
places if and when required.

And then the oath and the national anthem signing in unison..
The ceremony ended at about 10.48 am when they finished distributing
certificates in all 10 different sub-sections in the auditorium

In today's ceremony, 1157 immigrants from 97 countries became citizens.

Went to the local post office after taking a copy of the certificate and
applied for the passport there..Remember if you are going to apply
at the postoffice, you require the cheque in the amount of $67 for
US Dept. of State and the remaining $30 for the postmaster (which they
also allow to pay in cash) as opposed to $97 if you apply directly after
the ceremony.

Parking cost $13 at the auditorium..was available until 9.10 am..

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/sanfran/aboutus.htm

The above link - under "Naturalization Oath Ceremonies:" section
lists the following as helper00 mentioned above..

IMPORTANT: The San Francisco District Office can no longer provide Name Changes as part of the Naturalization Process. This change is necessary because the District now conducts “Administrative” rather than “Judicial” Oath Ceremonies. Name changes can be obtained by filing a petition with your local Superior Court.