N-400 San Francisco timeline

afiguere

Registered Users (C)
Here are the results of my N-400.

Region: San Francisco, CA
Mailed: March 10th, 2005
PD: March 22nd, 2005
FP: Sometime in April 2005 (ok so I'm getting old and cannot remember everything. :) )
Interview notice: May 18th, 2005
Interview: July 26th, 2005.
Oath: Aug. 9th, 2005

Some useful notes:

1) Interview was done at the Oakland office as we applied in Alameda County.
2) We relocated to Orange County on July 7th and filed the AR-11 but US CIS left it to our discretion as to whether we wanted to transfer our case or not. We were still required to file the AR-11. US CIS did mention that we had to fly back and forth if we wanted to leave the case with SF CIS as we couldn't take the interview down in the Santa Ana office on behalf of SF CIS. We decided not to transfer to Santa Ana as they are about 2 months behind SF.
3) They give you the oath notice right there after the interview as the oath was scheduled just 2 weeks later. We are going to have to fly back for that too (somehow we can't join an oath ceremony in Santa Ana without mailing them back, getting new date, etc etc.).
4) Last of all but not least, be VERY HONEST with the officer. This interview in my opinion was nothing more than a rubber stamp interview where they want to get a "good feeling" about you and verify all your answers and if there are any new developments since you filed. I did mention parking tickets and I was a 245i case and she noted it down. She somehow knew I moved even though we filed our AR-11 only on the 7th of July.

Overall, I want to say, thanks to all the info I got from this board. I've been coming to this board since it started back in the late 90s. It's been a tremendous help.

Any questions, I will be monitoring this thread on and off and will try to answer. Of course, I'm not an attorney.

Aurelius

afiguere said:
Here are the results of my N-400.

Region: San Francisco, CA
Mailed: March 10th, 2005
PD: March 22nd, 2005
FP: Sometime in April 2005 (ok so I'm getting old and cannot remember everything. :) )
Interview notice: May 18th, 2005
Interview: July 26th, 2005.
Oath: Aug. 9th, 2005

Some useful notes:

1) Interview was done at the Oakland office as we applied in Alameda County.
2) We relocated to Orange County on July 7th and filed the AR-11 but US CIS left it to our discretion as to whether we wanted to transfer our case or not. We were still required to file the AR-11. US CIS did mention that we had to fly back and forth if we wanted to leave the case with SF CIS as we couldn't take the interview down in the Santa Ana office on behalf of SF CIS. We decided not to transfer to Santa Ana as they are about 2 months behind SF.
3) They give you the oath notice right there after the interview as the oath was scheduled just 2 weeks later. We are going to have to fly back for that too (somehow we can't join an oath ceremony in Santa Ana without mailing them back, getting new date, etc etc.).
4) Last of all but not least, be VERY HONEST with the officer. This interview in my opinion was nothing more than a rubber stamp interview where they want to get a "good feeling" about you and verify all your answers and if there are any new developments since you filed. I did mention parking tickets and I was a 245i case and she noted it down. She somehow knew I moved even though we filed our AR-11 only on the 7th of July.

Overall, I want to say, thanks to all the info I got from this board. I've been coming to this board since it started back in the late 90s. It's been a tremendous help.

Any questions, I will be monitoring this thread on and off and will try to answer. Of course, I'm not an attorney.

Aurelius

Thanks for the info.
Could you please tell us about civic questions? Were they from the standard 100 sample or more than that? Plus, do they give you 4 choice answers to select from those or u just need to answer the question and there is not mutliple choice answers. Is it written test or oral? Please shae this info. I am in alameda county and most probably my interview maybe in Oakland or SFO too. my FP was in oakland.
Thanks,

Congratulations!

How did you get the oath letter? Did you ask the officer to give you the oath letter instead of the N-652 form?

I was interviewed few days ago in Oakland but just got the N-652. It was about 11:30am and seems like the officer was ready to go for lunch so when I asked about my case she just said if there is any problem they will write to me.

What time did you have the interview? the early morning or the afternoon?

Thanks

Naaz2004 said:
Thanks for the info.
Could you please tell us about civic questions? Were they from the standard 100 sample or more than that? Plus, do they give you 4 choice answers to select from those or u just need to answer the question and there is not mutliple choice answers. Is it written test or oral? Please shae this info. I am in alameda county and most probably my interview maybe in Oakland or SFO too. my FP was in oakland.
Thanks,

I had the interview few days ago in Oakland. Questions are all from 100q. The officer printed out the questions and when she read it I answered it, it's not multiple choice.

Hi, regards to all questions:

1) The interview was at 8:20 am, my wife's was at 8:45 am.
2) The officer just asked me to wait after the interview and handed me the notice to appear for oath. I don't know what the number is. It is N-4XX or something like that. In your case, they may be waiting for the name check or fingerprints. Sometimes that happens. We almost walked out without getting the oath letter since it took about 20 mins. As I was inquiring, the officer came out and handed my wife and I our oath sheets.
3) As per the questions, she gave me a sheet of paper and told me to read every question and give her the answer verbally. It wasn't multiple choice as is usually on the test questions. They were exactly from the same sample 100 questions.

alameda said:
Congratulations!

How did you get the oath letter? Did you ask the officer to give you the oath letter instead of the N-652 form?

I was interviewed few days ago in Oakland but just got the N-652. It was about 11:30am and seems like the officer was ready to go for lunch so when I asked about my case she just said if there is any problem they will write to me.

What time did you have the interview? the early morning or the afternoon?

Thanks

did the form you got saying they would recomment your case or "desicion cannot be made..."?

Interview in Los Angeles

Anyone had Interview in Los Angeles, Could you please share with us if the questions were multiple-choice questions?

ocworker said:
did the form you got saying they would recomment your case or "desicion cannot be made..."?

it is marked on "Congratulations..."

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked my paper and it is:

N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony.

It is a 2 sided paper with a bunch of questions at the back.

my time line for N 400 at San Francisco DO:

PD: May 10, 2005

FP: June 10, 2005

Interview notice Rec'd: August 3, 2005

Interview scheduled: September 15, 2005

(my online status was NEVER updated!)

N-400 Oakland

Region: San Francisco, CA (Oakland Field Office)
Mailed: April 20th,2005
PD: April 25th,2005
FP: June 3rd, 2005
Interview notice: June 25th or so...
Interview: August 22, 2005

PS: The interview went well. The interviewing officer went over my application in great detail. All questions on the form, and addresses and dates, one by one...I found it a little bit unusual, but she was polite...She went over all my tax papers in great detail...She asked some of the questions twice or more. I just focused to answer them in detail...specially my addresses and employers... I could not remember exact dates... I have moved over 5 times, and changed employer 3 times. She also went over all my passport entries, one by one against passport stamps... It was a thourough interview but in all, less than 15-20 minutes. The civics questions were printed on a form, she asked me to read them and answer them outloud....
At the end, she asked me to sign in cursive letters and not like my original signature. It was a bit odd, since I do not write cursive.... She asked me to sign my photographs in the same manner.

I passed, got the N-652 with the standard 'congratulations....
Oath: The N-562 says ' If final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath Ceremony'...... :)

SF ASC fingerprint Question

Hi I just got my F/P notice for SF ASC on Broadway Street. Any experiences, tips to share for this ASC. This will by my first visit to this ASC.

Can you go b4 the apptmnt date to get the F/P done at this ASC? Any actual experiences?

See signature for updated timeline information.

Thanks

Fp

Just go on time...I had my fingerprints done in Oakland...Took about 30 minutes. I showed 10 minutes before since that is what they recommend. Bring the notice with you and your resident card. They will take your fingerprints and stamp the form and hand it back for you to keep. 3 weeks later I god my 'Initial Interview' notice....
Good luck!

hello all....
here's my timeline...i live in alameda county so my fingerprint and interview were done in oakland.

(3 years marriaged based n-400)
mail app: march 26, 05
USCIS rvcd date/priority date: march 28,05
fingerprint #1: may 13, 05
fingerprint #2: (rvcd notice saying #1 is not clear): june 15, 05
interview notice rvcd: july 7, 05
interview: aug 4, 05
passed civil and english part, but got n-652 and n-14: result (b), decision cannot be made yet
need to mail back police clearance (both of my fingerprint didn't go thru), w2, evidence for bonafide marriage. mailed everything back aug 10, 05
now waiting for oath.
anyone has similar experience? how long you need to wait after sending back those required document?

cookie99 said:
hello all....
here's my timeline...i live in alameda county so my fingerprinted and interview were done in oakland.

(3 years marriaged based n-400)
mail app: march 26, 05
USCIS rvcd date/priority date: march 28,05
fingerprint #1: may 13, 05
fingerprint #2: (rvcd notice saying #1 is not clear): june 15, 05
interview notice rvcd: july 7, 05
interview: aug 4, 05
passed civil and english part, but got n-652 and n-14: result (b), decision cannot be made yet
need to mail back police clearance (both of my fingerprint didn't go thru), w2, evidence for bonafide marriage. mailed everything back aug 10, 05
now waiting for oath.
anyone has similar experience? how long you need to wait after sending back those required document?

Hi Cookie99, what did you provide for evidence of bonafide marriage? I've seen some posts where ppl were asked to provide affadavit from spouse.

What documents other than marriage certificate and tax transcript had you included with your application (e.g. mortgage/lease with both spouse names, joint bank a/c statements and so on). If you had not included them, did the officer ask for these supporting information during interview?

I am applying also based on 3 years marriaged based n-400, but my office will be SF.

hi sfbayguy,
oakland is mirror sub office of san francisco, so i think we are actually under the same DO.

the officer asked for all evidences like what i submitted for I-751!!!! joint bank statements, bills, insurance statements, deed of trust or mortgage statement or lease statement, joint tax returns, photos..etc...
I passed the interview part but was issued with n-652 and n-14 requesting all of above, plus ALL pages of passport (including blank pages) for my passport and my spouse's passport, and W2s.

good luck to you. prepare all those i mentioned above

I did included copy of marriage certificate and tax returns for last 3 years with my app

Anyone knows how long does it take to get oath notice after you mail back evidence to CIS? Appreciate your help!

How US CIS gave you an option??

Hi there ....

I changed my address from San Francisco to San Jose last week but was not given an option to "not" transfer my case to the San Jose office. How did you choose not to transfer your case? Do I have to call them again??

Thanks for your help .. I realy appreciate it ...