• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

My same-sex partner won the Lottery. Now what?

NickIlieff

Me and my partner live together for more than 2 years. In our country (SE Europe) there is no same-sex marriage. If we were heterosexual couple we could get married and live together in US.
What should we do?

It's very hard time for us, thanks for the help in advance!

Me and my partner live together for more than 2 years. In our country (SE Europe) there is no same-sex marriage. If we were heterosexual couple we could get married and live together in US.
What should we do?

It's very hard time for us, thanks for the help in advance!

You need to go somewhere that allows and recognizes same sex marriages. As long as the marriage takes place in a place where the marriage is recognized, that is good enough for the immigration purposes.

Here is a quote - the sources shown below:-

Q3: My spouse and I were married in a U.S. state or a foreign country that recognizes same-sex marriage, but we live in a state that does not. Can I file an immigrant visa petition for my spouse?
A3: Yes. As a general matter, the law of the place where the marriage was celebrated determines whether the marriage is legally valid for immigration purposes. Just as USCIS applies all relevant laws to determine the validity of an opposite-sex marriage, we will apply all relevant laws to determine the validity of a same-sex marriage. The domicile state’s laws and policies on same-sex marriages will not bear on whether USCIS will recognize a marriage as valid.

http://www.uscis.gov/family/same-sex-marriages

Now then, just as any opposite sex marriage held after DV lottery selection would come under scrutiny, so will yours. IN other words you will have to be prepared to prove that your relationship and marriage is real and not just done to take advantage of the DV lottery "win".

Thanks. We considered to get married in France.
BUT, what if we don't get married BEFORE the interview. Is there any options than?
We can marry after, but will I be able to live with him?
Thanks and sorry for the bad English.

If you marry after he is a Green Card holder he could sponsor you for a visa, but it would take a long time, cost a lot of money and would be subject to at least the same scrutiny as the marriage before the DV interview.

Why would you NOT get married before the interview?

BUT, what if we don't get married BEFORE the interview. Is there any options than?

If you're not married to your partner, your partner cannot claim you as a derivative at the time of the interview, which means you will you will not be issued with an immigration visa. . Of course, if you're able to find your way into the US legally on your own, you most definitely can live with him.

This is an old information, but I want to ask is this true?
https://www.facebook.com/gayimmigrationsupport/posts/225986224265959

The minimum requirements for US Immigration (CIS) are that both parties are free to marry, that they have met in person during the 2 year period before filing the Fiancée petition, and that the alien fiancée intends to marry the US sponsor. That’s the easy part. If CIS approves the I-129F Fiancée petition, that does not guarantee that the US Embassy in Bangkok will issue the visa. The decision to issue or not to issue the visa is made by the US Consular officer at the time of the visa interview, in light of his evaluation and perceptions.

Fiancée visas are not relatively easy to get and there must be a commitment, in the eyes of the interviewing US Consular officer, that the alien fiancée fully intends to marry the sponsor.

The Consular officer will be looking for evidence of an enduring relationship. Not an obstacle for a farang who’s been living in Thailand with his bf for several years, but a possible problem for a farang who visits briefly just a few times a year. The farang who met his bf in a bar and who has just visited Thailand a few times may have difficulty providing evidence of an established or potential long term, committed relationship.

Age differences, the bf’s fluency in English, and the bf’s education and employment history are also major considerations.

Consul will expect to see copies of emails, phone bills of the non-resident sponsor, chat info, photos, evidence of sponsor’s visits to Thailand.

The Form G325A that must accompany the Fiancée petition asks for background information about the applicant’s and sponsor’s work history and residence during the past five years. Some consuls will also require a detailed timeline of the relationship.

If the Thai bf met his sponsor while working in a bar, Consul may subject the case to very close scrutiny. Consul will only issue a fiancée visa if he is reasonably sure that the relationship is both genuine and viable.

The Fiancée Visa Process (for both straight and same-sex couples):

1. File Form I-129F and G325A with US Immigration (CIS) in the US to apply for Fiancée Visa
2. If CIS approves, case will be forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC)
3. NVC will contact applicant regarding additional documentation and fees needed
4. After NVC processing is complete, a visa interview will be scheduled at US Embassy Bangkok.
5. If applicant is approved at interview, visa will be issued within a short time

6. After arrival in US, alien fiancée must marry US sponsor within 3 months.
7. After marriage, can apply for Conditional Green Card, good for 2 years
8. At end of those 2 years, can apply for Permanent Green Card
9. Three years after receiving first Green Card, can apply for US citizenship

Once the couple is married and the bf gets his Permanent Green Card, he is free to do as he pleases, which could include divorcing his partner/sponsor (and he gets to keep the Green Card).

If the Consular officer thinks that the bf is just using the fiancée visa to get a Green Card and the claimed relationship will result in a sham marriage, the visa will be denied.

Though the demise of DOMA has now made marriage equality the law in some states, US Immigration and the US Embassy are staffed by ordinary people, some of whom will be reluctant to see non-traditional unions approved. This may result in extensive requests for proof of a genuine relationship, and it is the Consular officer alone who decides what is “genuine”.

Since the Thai bf may not be eligible for a tourist visa to the US, the fiancée visa appears to be the only practical option. Of course the couple could travel to a country allowing same-sex marriages. That would enable the US sponsor to file a spouse petition, probably making it a stronger case, though by no means constituting a guarantee of visa approval.

To get started, visit http://uscis.gov/, click on Forms to reach I-129F.

Sixteen countries now have the freedom to marry for same-sex couples nationwide (Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Canada, South Africa, Norway, Sweden, Portugal, Iceland, Argentina, Denmark, France, Brazil, and Uruguay - plus New Zealand and Britain, which have passed laws that will take effect in 2014).

Same-sex marriage is legal in 13 U.S states and Wash DC: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington State.

If you would get married anyway then the whole process becomes much easier, shorter and cheaper than if you marry afterwards.

If you marry afterwards, you cannot go live with him in the US while you wait for your visa to be approved (unless you can get a work visa for example, but you cannot enter on a tourist visa or visa waiver or any non-immigrant visa with intent to stay permanently), so you could be apart for many months - in a best case scenario - going this route.

As for the above stuff, you CANNOT get a fiancé visa unless you are a citizen. So even if the (paranoid?) statement that some officers are too homophobic to approve it is right, it doesn't matter. What you need to do is show a marriage and yes just as with a heterosexual marriage you will need to show it is a genuine relationship and not a green card marriage. It is certainly not only same-sex marriages that may be subject to extensive requests for proof.

Why would you NOT get married before the interview?

Because we decided to proceed the procedure with the green card in a last minute (the other option was living in France with me, but the procedure with my Bulgarian passport is in delays). So, we will have to get marry after he arrive in U.S.
We decided to get marry in Iceland, probably December or January.
How long will we wait until I can live with him and is the procedure expensive?

Last edited:
You need to find the forum that deals with CR1 spouse visas ....they will be able to give you all the info on that...people here tend to only know about DV. But I can tell you it will without doubt be longer, more complicated and more expensive.

You need to find the forum that deals with CR1 spouse visas ....they will be able to give you all the info on that...people here tend to only know about DV. But I can tell you it will without doubt be longer, more complicated and more expensive.

I believe a CR1 forum will most likely give the OP misleading information since CR1 visa is for USC and their spouses. What the OP needs is to find an F2A forum.

Because we decided to proceed the procedure with the green card in a last minute (the other option was living in France with me, but the procedure with my Bulgarian passport is in delays). So, we will have to get marry after he arrive in U.S.

This means you guys will be going the route of F2A visa category. You can find answers to most of your questions starting from the link below:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/family-preference.html

You are being very silly in even considering not marrying earlier to take advantage f the win. You will regret that, I am sure. A simple legal marriage is all t takes now and you can have the full wedding with friends and family later...

You are being very silly in even considering not marrying earlier to take advantage f the win. You will regret that, I am sure. A simple legal marriage is all t takes now and you can have the full wedding with friends and family later...
OK dude, you don't have to make this harder than it is.
Thanks for the answer.

Thanks for the answer.

You are misunderstanding me. I'm not trying to make it harder for you (and in general don't spend countless hours here trying to make things harder for anyone). What I am saying is that you have two options open to you. One is very easy, cheap and a chance in a lifetime. But you are considering not doing that and going down a path that will probably see you spending thousands of dollars, spending a long time separated from your partner and is a much harder process. You haven't been clear about what is stopping you getting married now, so to me it seems you are not being sensible. If there is any way to get married to take advantage of the DV win, you would be mad not to do it. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Thanks for the answer.

Just to underline Simon's response: you will be separated from your partner for months while all the formalities etc are being processed. Even discounting the extra cost, why would you knowingly do that if you were going to get married anyway?