Medical care question for GC paretns

kuchchbhee

Registered Users (C)
My Parents got GC 3 years back. They have stayed in the US only for a couple of months each year (with exception of first year when they had stayed over 6 months in a year). They are both over 70.

Will they become eligible to buy Medicare Part A and Part B after completion of 5 years as LPR? We are in California. I am not able to find any reason why they should not be eligible... even if they stay only 2 months in US each year, they are still able to retain the status of LPR.

I'm hoping somebody really answers this......I plan to do the same and as per my understanding,they will be eligible.

I am also in same situation means looking for health insurance for my parents....They are under 65..

My Parents got GC 3 years back. They have stayed in the US only for a couple of months each year (with exception of first year when they had stayed over 6 months in a year). They are both over 70.

Will they become eligible to buy Medicare Part A and Part B after completion of 5 years as LPR? We are in California. I am not able to find any reason why they should not be eligible... even if they stay only 2 months in US each year, they are still able to retain the status of LPR.

Hi, I'm not sure that I'll be able to give you the full answer with all the details before the weekend - exchange applications will start in October of this year for January 2014 coverage. Did you sign I-864 for your parents? In what city you live in (different counties and cities have different programs). Give me some basic details, so that we can focus on what is helpful to you and not some general rules.

Thank you.

Did you sign I-864 for your parents?

hello Zee- I live in Orange County, and yes I did sign that I-864. I did not relate that to Medicare... although I am aware you cannot (should not) file for Medicaid. Again, I am planing to pay for Medicare... and not necessarily avail government aids.

Technically speaking, i think, the question is, whether, Medicare is a "means tested benefit"?

With little bit google, i found this on huffington post on the topic whether Medicare is Means tested or not "...They argue that the correct phrase to describe programs like Medicare is income-related, which is to say that benefits never disappear, but simply become less generous as income rises"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have filed I864 for my parents. Is there any way they can get health insurance & also can we show them as dependents?

I have filed I864 for my parents. Is there any way they can get health insurance & also can we show them as dependents?

I depends on many factors - it's a combination of IRS and Immigration rules. They will obviously have their Green Cards so that requirement is met, you'll be ok with the requirement about providing for more than 50% of their expenses. The only one in the question is residency test (they can of course file taxes with no issue, rules about claiming them as dependents are little different): they have to be present 182 days here within the last three years: at least 31 days this year but all days are counted towards this requirement, 1/3 of days are counted for the last year and 1/6 for the year before that. If that equals or is more than 182 days, you can do it. Please consult a tax advisor for this - or, you can simply call IRS 800 number and they will provide all info you need.

As for the insurance, they can get Emergency Medicaid, but not full Medicaid. Basically you have to buy insurance for them (later this year through Exchange). Or you can provide a County health program for them. If the cost of insurance is more than 8% of your household income, there will be no penalty under the new laws if you don't buy it.

What ever somebody tells you about benefits you can get for your parents please keep in mind that all immigrants cannot get public charge benefits for the first 5 years, and because of I-864 they cannot get mean-tested benefits for 10 years (unless they become citizens). Just put those two together and avoid any benefits because of which government can later come after you.

I hope this helps,
Z

hello Zee- I live in Orange County, and yes I did sign that I-864. I did not relate that to Medicare... although I am aware you cannot (should not) file for Medicaid. Again, I am planing to pay for Medicare... and not necessarily avail government aids.

Technically speaking, i think, the question is, whether, Medicare is a "means tested benefit"?

With little bit google, i found this on huffington post on the topic whether Medicare is Means tested or not "...They argue that the correct phrase to describe programs like Medicare is income-related, which is to say that benefits never disappear, but simply become less generous as income rises"

Hi there!

So, we are neighbors :) see my answer above about insurance, I'll check if Orange County has similar programs to Los Angeles County programs: you can do the combination of Emergency Medicaid and a county sponsored health program (you will not be able to choose the hospital, but it will cover office visits). In order to be able to buy Medicare they have to be 65 or older (which they are) and have to live in US for 5 years continuously (which they haven't). Some states do not use neither Sponsor Deeming nor Sponsor Liability (like the New York State Medicaid Program). As soon as I have some confirmed facts about California, I'll post it in here.

Thanks,
Z

Thanks Zee Zee for the information. I am not sure if our county (Collin) provides any assistance but i will check again.

Yes they have green cards but they came here in US 2 months back so I am not sure about how the residency rule is going to apply .

I depends on many factors - it's a combination of IRS and Immigration rules. They will obviously have their Green Cards so that requirement is met, you'll be ok with the requirement about providing for more than 50% of their expenses. The only one in the question is residency test (they can of course file taxes with no issue, rules about claiming them as dependents are little different): they have to be present 182 days here within the last three years: at least 31 days this year but all days are counted towards this requirement, 1/3 of days are counted for the last year and 1/6 for the year before that. If that equals or is more than 182 days, you can do it. Please consult a tax advisor for this - or, you can simply call IRS 800 number and they will provide all info you need.

As for the insurance, they can get Emergency Medicaid, but not full Medicaid. Basically you have to buy insurance for them (later this year through Exchange). Or you can provide a County health program for them. If the cost of insurance is more than 8% of your household income, there will be no penalty under the new laws if you don't buy it.

What ever somebody tells you about benefits you can get for your parents please keep in mind that all immigrants cannot get public charge benefits for the first 5 years, and because of I-864 they cannot get mean-tested benefits for 10 years (unless they become citizens). Just put those two together and avoid any benefits because of which government can later come after you.

I hope this helps,
Z

No benefits that they get can affect their status as permanent residents. They have no obligations in this regard. For them, it's only a question of whether they are eligible or not.

It's you, the sponsor, who has obligations, and may be asked to pay back certain types of benefits if they get it.

Also, "staying only 2 months in US each year" is a terrible plan and will cause their green card to be abandoned.

Hi there!

So, we are neighbors :) see my answer above about insurance, I'll check if Orange County has similar programs to Los Angeles County programs: you can do the combination of Emergency Medicaid and a county sponsored health program (you will not be able to choose the hospital, but it will cover office visits). .... As soon as I have some confirmed facts about California, I'll post it in here.

Thanks,
Z

Zee thankyou very much. It seems i need to catch up with new Obamacare changes coming down the road. I ran the calculator posted at http://www.coveredca.com/calculating_the_cost.html and it gives me cost of $1400/month for two senior citizens. While this is expensive, but i am glad to see there is an option available now. This is definitely very positive. However, I am not able to tell what kind coverage it will provide... deductibles, limits, co-payments etc. Is there a website that talks about all this in simple format?