marrage based greencard for H1B holder

sonviraj

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am getting married very soon with my fiancee. She is US citizen and I am on H1B visa. I am in the USA since last 2 years. I wanted to know that what are the forms I will have to fill and how long the entire process will take.

Also, is it necessory to apply through a lawer?

Thanks in advance for help.

Sonviraj.

I went through the same process about 5 years ago in PA. The process is fairly painless (if you have all the required paperwork). I did not hire a lawyer for the process since I found it fairly straight forward.

To obtain the required paperwork, I called the INS FORMS hotline (don't know if it still exists), explained the situation and a nice packet arrived in the mail with the required forms.

I got an interview approx 6 months after applying. After the interview, my passport was immediately stamped with the GC.

Hope this helps.

-K

Hi karkhak

Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking of applying by myself. My fiancee told me that the process is very simple.

Do you remember from where you got the hotline number of INS?
I think from the net I can get it.

So I have filled I-485, I-765 and G-325 forms. I am not sure what other forms are required.

Anyway, Thanks again for the reply.

Sonviraj.

Visit http://www.ins.usdoj.gov

you will find a list of forms needed for your adjustment of status packet online. Those forms can also be filled and printed online.
So you bascially can make changes to them as and when needed.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Need fillable forms with save option.

Hi Sachin,

Thanks for the responses. Couple of forms are fillable and some of them are not. I am not sure whether I should fill it with black pen of just fill using acrobat reader. But the problem with acrobat is that I cannot save the stuff.

You were saying that I can save the changes also. could you please explain it little bit?

Thanks in advance.

Sonviraj.

Hi Viraj,

Unfortunately INS hasnt come out with a form which can be saved.
Filling the form using acrobat would help you correct changes (like typing mistakes) etc when you are filling the form. Usually black ink is preferred.

I dont remember saying any thing about saving forms.

Good Luck

Thanks

Ready to file

Hi Sachin,

Thanks for your great suggestions. Now I have filled in all the forms and I am ready to file for my GC. I called INS and got the address of local INS office. I am done with medical exam also.

Need a small suggestion. There is any way of filing all these forms?? or I just put all these forms in an envelope and send it to INS?

Thanks.

Originally posted by karkhak
I went through the same process about 5 years ago in PA. The process is fairly painless (if you have all the required paperwork). I did not hire a lawyer for the process since I found it fairly straight forward.

To obtain the required paperwork, I called the INS FORMS hotline (don't know if it still exists), explained the situation and a nice packet arrived in the mail with the required forms.

I got an interview approx 6 months after applying. After the interview, my passport was immediately stamped with the GC.

Hope this helps.

-K

Re: Ready to file

Hi Viraj,

You can send all your forms to your local INS office using the US Postal Service or even send it FedEx. Make sure you have the proof of mailing (which a certified mail or FedEx helps)

or you can drop off the packet at the local INS office in person.
Doing so could help you get an EAD / Advanced Parole that very day. (again it depends on the local office procedures)

make sure you make copies of all the papers you submit to INS.

Keep us posted and Good Luck

Sachin.

Advance Parol

Hi Guys,

I am married to a US citizen and I applied for adjustment of status recently. I got receipt notice from INS also.

I am planning to visit India on vacation this December and I would like to know whether that may create any problem. Do I need to obtain advance parol before I leave the country. I have a valid H1 status till sept 03.

It is given in the I-485, that applicants with valid H1 or L1 status need not apply for Advance Parol. Such a reference is there in the Emergency Travel Document available in INS site also.

But many are telling me that there is a heavy risk in giong out of the country when the application is pending. Is that true? Will I have problem eventhough I have my H1 valid?

Please advice me..

Thanks
Liju

Re: Advance Parol

You need to obtain an advanced parole before you leave the United States.

So please do so before you decide to leave the US.

Admitting an 'alien' on an advanced parole is solely on the discretion of the immigration inspector. They have the right to refuse entry. This generally happens if you are out of status or on an INS wanted list.

It is advised that you do not leave the US for an extended period of time while your application is being adjudicated.

Hope this helps

Do I need an advance parole?

Hello,

My marriage based adjustment of status is pending in a California local office. Just before I send my application for AD to facilitate my on coming Christmas vacation aboard, I received interview notice from local INS office. My interview is scheduled on Dec. 16. Do I still need apply for AP? Is it true generally that my passport will be stamped before the end of interview? All responses will be greatly appreciated!

JIC

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Do I need an advance parole?

Are you being called for your final interview? (along with your spouse??)

IF thats the case then you dont need to apply for an advanced parole document. The INS district office generally stamps your passport on the day of your interview if they are convinced that the marriage is genuine.

good luck.

Sachinphadke,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was informed to go to INS local office for an interview with my spouse :) . I am so glad that I do not need worry about advance parole anymore. Thank you again!

JIC

Another question

Hi Sachin,

I have send my all documents to INS district office Philadephia. It is almost 19 days. I had sent these documents through certified mail but haven't got the receipt from them. Little bit worried about that. I spoke with the post office peoples and they told that they delivered the stuff next day only. Is there any way through which I can find out if my documents reached there or not? checks which I have send with the documents are not yet deducted from my account. I know that this question is not relavant here but just want some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Sonviraj.

Re: Another question

Hey Viraj,

If the post office gives you a confirmation of the delivery then you are good to go. The INS district office generally dosent mail out receipts.

They also take time to open and process your file.
INS will cash your checks at a later date. So dont worry about it for now. IF you dont hear from them in about 60 days then I would suggest you visit the INS office and enquire about your file.

I would say hang in there. You should hear from them soon.

hope that helps.

Sachin

Got EAR appointment

Hi Sachin,

Welcome back after long period. Thanks al lot for your prompt responces and your cooperation.

Yesterday I got a letter from INS. They fixed an appointment on coming friday for Employment Authorization Request. I have also got fingerprint notification.

In the appointment document they have asked for passport etc.
Is it a required step? I have send all the necessory documents to them.

Do they fix an appointment before giving EAD??

Thanks in advance

Sonviraj.

Re: Got EAR appointment

Hi

congratulations .. INS is working pretty fast on your case :)

They are asking for your passport to verify your identity and stuff.
I dont know what you mean when you said "Do they fix an appointment before giving EAD??"

Yes you have an EAD Appt the day when you get your work authorization card issued.

All the best and feel free to ask any questions you have

Sachin.