• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Less entries for DV 2012?

DANIELMDQ

Registered Users (C)
Im wondering if cutting the entry period from 2 months to one month is going to result in less applications, what do you think people?

Im wondering if cutting the entry period from 2 months to one month is going to result in less applications, what do you think people?

It doesn't matter about less or more applications, its a lottery, it's all about luck. Sometimes winning a lottery whether Visa or otherwise brings misery.
Winning a US visa lottery is considered to be a one way ticket to a better life, but I know some people here in US that after 35 years of living in US are still living paycheck to paycheck and don't even own a house. So hope for the best and if it's meant to be than you will win it even if there are record number of applications.

I don't think there'll be less number of application for DV 2012. Mainly because the number of applications has increased each year. The reduction in application time will certainly reduce the total applications number, than had it been like previous years. But, I think its certainly going to be greater than the previous year.

namecheckvictim,
I wonder how long your name check took, and what kind of application was it for?

Hi Jeffy14, congrats! Did you have to sell any of your property? if yes, was it an easy process?

I don't think there will be less applicants but I think there will be less people who be eligible due to having enough funds. With the economy as it is right now and unemployment sky high...IMO USCIS will be much harder to allow people to get a GC unless they have the full requirements since the US can't have more people being a liability! That is why I think less people will move forward after winning and also more people who move forward will lose their payments when they get denied...

Makes sense bentlebee!! persons must have sufficient assets to which they can sell or cash. Yes, they will deny persons otherwise. Also, persons may not be able to provide an Affidavit of Support because of the unemployment situation in the US.

Since the government needs more money they will keep sending the same amountof NL, deny more and get more funds in...win win position for the government and many of the people losing their fees have to thank them self since it is clearly stated on all websites. No lawyer can do anything about that...hope makes people do crazy things and make them think that the person on the other side will grant them the GC because they feel sorry, but unfortunately that isn't how it works....

So better realize if you are eligible on all counts or not pay fees....and otherwise don't blame any one else.

Almost 1.5 or 2 years ago a person was denied as a primary applicant since his English wasn't good enough to pass the exams he needed to pass to be able to get a similar job as he had in his home country. That was what he him self stated after he was denied. it isn't easy to know all the specific language that is used for certain jobs if you never worked over here or your English is not more than being able to order at McDonalds or pay at Walmart....some jobs rquire licenses and certain hours of study before you can pass a State exam, without it you can't work...and no work no ....

Statistically there should be less entries this year if for no other reason but the reduction in application time.
I believe however that the number of winners going forward to the interview stage will also be reduced for several reasons:

1. I foresee a number of people not remembering to document (or even losing) their confirmation number.

2. Alot of winners from similar 'first world' countries will seriously reconsider moving to a country whose economy appears to be shaky at this time. Staying put may make more economic sense for these people. This does not hold true for people from 'third world' countries though. There will ALWAYS be people migrating from these countries since the perceived opportunities in the US far outweigh any realistic opportunities that exist in their country.

3. As stated before people may find it harder to get sponsors in the US due to the economic downturn especially potential sponsors who may already wary of the responsibilities that come with sponsoring an immigrant. In addition I strongly believe that we will see a higher priority being placed on this sponsorship document and/or financial evidence (own funds) at the interview stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
As i said in another thread i think they should select more people this time to be able to grant the 55.000 visas, more than 100.000 like the other years for the following reasons:

1) Many people will keep thinking that it still works like it did before (through letters), especially people that knows how to apply because all the times they applied before, but they don't understand english, and they will just close the window and don't keep the number, or just don't check it assuming they will get a letter.

2)I'm sure some people will lose the number and they won't be able to retreive it

3)Many people are not really interested in winning the lottery, they just apply to "see what happens" and since they won't get anything at their home reminding them about it, they will just forget and never check again. Just people really interested about moving to the US will remind to go to the site and check their status.

As i said in another thread i think they should select more people this time to be able to grant the 55.000 visas, more than 100.000 like the other years for the following reasons:

1) Many people will keep thinking that it still works like it did before (through letters), especially people that knows how to apply because all the times they applied before, but they don't understand english, and they will just close the window and don't keep the number, or just don't check it assuming they will get a letter.

2)I'm sure some people will lose the number and they won't be able to retreive it

3)Many people are not really interested in winning the lottery, they just apply to "see what happens" and since they won't get anything at their home reminding them about it, they will just forget and never check again. Just people really interested about moving to the US will remind to go to the site and check their status.

Agreed on all points...

I have already seen posts on other boards where people have forgotten to write down the confirmation #.

yes, that's why i think they should select more than 100.000 applicants this time, maybe they will select more people on a 2nd stage if they realize they won't be able to grant the 50.000

yes, that's why i think they should select more than 100.000 applicants this time, maybe they will select more people on a 2nd stage if they realize they won't be able to grant the 50.000

I doubt it but I'm sure they will see/feel it on the bottom line....I expect to see changes next year.

I don't see what the point is of selecting more people. more then half the people that usually get selected don't get picked anyway.
I think even with only 100k people this year there will still be those who won't get a GC at the end of it all (after they've paid all the fees and have done the interview and all)

Really? I didn't know that.
You mean so many people get disqualified? what about the families, and the children.

If that's the case, then they should add more people. Though I still doubt they will.

Not all get denied...I have no clue how many got denied, but many people never proceed after having entered and winning.

I guess that most people enter without realizing the real fees they have to pay PER PERSON! On top of that they might not read what makes them eligible and most people only do research after they win the NL and figure out what it is all about.

Than you need to have enough money or a sponsor or a job and sponsors aren't jumping up and down to sponsor anyone and be liable down the line. Jobs are not waiting for people, but people are waiting to get a job.

If you are with a family of 4 it means 4 x fees and money for a family of 4!

The US knows what health care will cost and except for the health care department that gives free vaccinations, health care is not for free....neither is rent, groceries, a car, etc...

That is why many people realize that it is more then just entering into a lotery and win a GC..

You don't win a GC either! You win a notification letter stating you can fill out the form to move a step further which is HUGE, if you are eligible on all fronts...many don't even have the job requirement or HS requirement...and don't proceed.