• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Leave the US while waiting for the green card

locutorio

I am a DV lottery 2015 winner. I would like to enter the US, get my visa stamped, rent a place to receive my green card, return to my country, stay at my current work for another 4 months, and then move finally to the US.
When I enter the US the second time (4 months after first entry) will I have any problems entering without the green card?

I am a DV lottery 2015 winner. I would like to enter the US, get my visa stamped, rent a place to receive my green card, return to my country, stay at my current work for another 4 months, and then move finally to the US.
When I enter the US the second time (4 months after first entry) will I have any problems entering without the green card?

You shouldn't have a problem returning without the plastic GC. The visa in your passport becomes an I-551 (temporary GC) upon endorsement following your initial entry. However, be aware of the possibility of being denied boarding by some airlines, especially if transiting through another country. Be sure to contact the airline to find out their policy with using an endorsed visa prior to booking.

As to the GC delivery, is there going to be someone at the place you're renting to receive the GC, or it's simply going to be seating in your mailbox for 4 months?

You need to have the address before you enter.
To have a permanent address before I enter the United States is virtually impossible, I don't know anybody in the US, I have never been in the US. I gave a temporary hotel address at the embassy, which I will change by calling USCIS as soon as I rent a place. The Green card would be seating in the mailbox, as I don't think I will be able to find a person of trust in the 2 weeks of my first stay in the US.

To have a permanent address before I enter the United States is virtually impossible, I don't know anybody in the US, I have never been in the US. I gave a temporary hotel address at the embassy, which I will change by calling USCIS as soon as I rent a place. The Green card would be seating in the mailbox, as I don't think I will be able to find a person of trust in the 2 weeks of my first stay in the US.

That's a risky plan IMO. Leave the GC seating in the mail box for a couple of months? You're ready to pay $450 (or whatever the current fee could be) and wait for upto 6 months to get a replacement GC, if the initial one were to be stolen from your mailbox? You're willing to risk the possibility of your ID being stolen, especially as a new immigrant? You're assuming the mailbox that will come with your rented apartment will have a lock, and even if it has one, it's still not a strong deterent from getting your mail stolen.

If you're not ready to stay back and start life in the U.S. immediately following your activation trip, then hold off on paying the $165 GC until when your final return. The GC will obviously not be issued and mailed out until that fee is paid. When you return to settle down and start life in the U.S., update your address with USCIS, then pay the fee.

Actually, after reading the USCIS instructions web page:
"You can pay the fee after you immigrate. However, paying before you leave for the United States will help ensure that you receive your Green Card without delay and have been admitted to the U.S."

I decided to delay paying the fee.
Thanks mom!

After entering the US for the first time,how many days should we stay in the US before returning to own country?Also for how many days or months can we live in own country after which we have to renew visa or GC?I will have to comeback immediately and stay for like 2 years.After that I will go there to live permanently.

After entering the US for the first time,how many days should we stay in the US before returning to own country?Also for how many days or months can we live in own country after which we have to renew visa or GC?I will have to comeback immediately and stay for like 2 years.After that I will go there to live permanently.

The GC is not a super visa that allows people to come into the U.S. once in a while to keep it valid. It is intended for people who plan on living in the U.S. permanently. So if you plan is simply to come into the U.S. once in a while and go back to your home country, you should consider not proceeding with the process.

Technically speaking, you can depart from the U.S. with the next flight leaving the country after activating your LPR status, meaning you do not even have to pass the night in the U.S. You may be allowed to stay out up to one year, without needing a re-entry permit immediately following your activation trip. If your plan is to go back and stay for up to 2 years, then you should be prepared to stay in the U.S. following your initial activation trip for close to 3 months to complete the process of applying for a re-entry permit.

Its not that I dont want to live there permanently.I am studying here and want to complete my studies here.Then I plan to fully live and work there.What can I do?

Its not that I dont want to live there permanently.I am studying here and want to complete my studies here.Then I plan to fully live and work there.What can I do?

Read what I wrote above about applying for a re-entry permit.

You might also want to consider completing your studies in the U.S. as many people find it easier to start looking for work with a U.S. qualification rather than a foreign one. Unless you're at Oxford or Cambridge of course ;)

Thanks for the tips.I dont want to waste my 2 years of studying here and also start over again.and i dont think the transfer process is nice options as complications may arise in credit transfers,recognition of college,etc.Also the fee in the US would be very expensive.So the best option is completing it here.Then I can also apply for higher studies in the US colleges.

Thanks for the tips.I dont want to waste my 2 years of studying here and also start over again.and i dont think the transfer process is nice options as complications may arise in credit transfers,recognition of college,etc.Also the fee in the US would be very expensive.So the best option is completing it here.Then I can also apply for higher studies in the US colleges.

Please consider what Susie mentioned. At least investigate the options for a transfer - because quite honestly - it would be likely a much more "usable" degree in real terms, unless you are an exceptionally good University outside. So - the chance to "convert" that to a US degree is something you should not dismiss so easily.

Just think about what you said. If you have a problem with recognition of college for transfer purposes, how do you think any prospective employers will view your college qualification? If your college is not recognized for transfer, it will also not be recognised for higher studies in the U.S. You may end up wasting four years rather than two, and jeopardizing your green card at the same time. By the way green card holders can get student finance. I'd suggest investigating it properly - remember there are many state and local colleges that are well recognized locally but not as expensive as the "big names" - or it may even be worth starting a lower paid job and completing a degree part time in the U.S. Just something to think about.