Landed Immigrant in Canada living in US

A real story for this group! Canadian PR will be taken away if you have a US gc!

Many people in this groug has a Canadian PR and is going to have an US green card. The following news will be very important for you all - including myself.

One of my friends told me that his frind who has a Canadian PR recently get his US green card. One month ago, he had to enter Canada with his US colleagues from Detroit by driving. When he was asked "what is your citizenship?" by a Canadian officer, he answered "US permanent resident". Then, he was asked to present the US green card. After he gave the card to the officer, the officier typed something on his computer while looking at the green card. Then, the officer told him that our record showed you have a Canadian PR also. He had no choice than saying "YES". Then, the officer said "you can not have two permanent status". He was asked to sign on a form to give up his Canadian PR. When he finished his business trip to Canada and came back to US, he told my friend that his has no longer have the Canadian PR.

The above is a real story. However, I do not know if we can and how to keep both Canaidan PR & US green card.... Any commment? Thanks!

Weird....

I think when Canadian officer key-in your friend\'s friend by last and first name, they found out someone\'s name was same as him. So, they tried to question him and see what he would say. Normally, US and Canada won\'t share each other resident\'s record except on FBI wanting list. So, is his name looked not common to others?

I read some messages online saying US & Canada immi will share info. after 9/11

I am not sure if his name is common or not. However, I feel every one who is in the same status (hold US GC and Canadian PR) will have the same problem. For example, when you are asked by a Canadian Officer at border, will you say "no, I do not have a Canadian PR"? I do not know if I should present US gc or Canadian pr in my next trip to Canada, and how to answer to their question...

Can u please tell me where did u read messages "saying US & Canada immi will share info. af

It is in www.yiminusa.com (in Chinese).

I believe there will be some website telling that US and Canada are planning to share immigrants\' information after 9/11 attack. The news I read said that US INS and Canada will joint develop a data base of immigration/bording inforamtion in coming two years. If they use the same data base, they will know if you have US green card, Canadian Pr, or the both.

not that bad

If you have the right skill set, you will get the work. Just like the U.S, you need to re-tool in the hot technology and then name your own price. We have been so used to trying to find our work back in the comfort zones of our existing skill sets that we overlook the underlying reason for not having our old jobs - stale skills. I retooled myself with in a month and had employers from U.S and Canada lining up. I just excepted an offer from Canada and am moving there. Good luck to all of you.

Getting Canadian citizenship vs US green card

The problem I have is, I am a landed imigrant in Canada from US, I came here 6 months ago and have to go back to US because my employer calls me? I am in the middle of the Labor certification.
Looks like it will take about 2 or more years to get a Green Card, but I am thinking if I stay here I will get Canadian Citizenship arround that time and will be easy to work in th USA or anywhere else with a Canadian citizenship.

I am really confused.
I need to decide one of them US green card or Canadian citizenship.
Please give me some advice.

Thanks in advance

I tried to return my Landing papers but could not

Folks,

I don't know about the story earlier in this thread about a friend's friend losing his Landed status in Detroit.

I have personally gone across the border on 3-4 occasions while living in Canada, but after having received US Green card. On at least one of those occasions I clearly mentioned to the officer that I had received the US Green Card but I was still living in Canada to wrap things up before moving permanently to US. This was not a problem for them.

Then I moved to US permanently and on two occasions after that I tried to return my Landing papers (once while crossing the border for the final move and other while on a business trip), but could not.

You may read my details in another thread with subject "US GC & Canadian PR; landing experience".

Bottom line is that there is a lot of confusion about the new rules. I was trying to return the Landing papers because that seemed like the right thing to do, but could not.

BTW, all these exchanges took place after 9/11/01

Last edited by a moderator:
canada immigrants

Hi,

I am a new canada immigrant. And I am in US GC I485 process. I am going to pay tax to canada (should?) However, I like to live in Detroit and drive my car. Is anyone know what I should do with my car and drive license?

1. Should I import my car (I did paper work)
2. Should I change my US drive license to canada drive license?
3. Is that any problem for me to live in US by parking a canada car in my apartment -- there is a police patrol.
4. If I have a canada drive license, is it effecting my GC interview? (when local INS interviewing, do they require a drive license?)

Thanks