• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Just got the KCC Congratulations for The DV-2008, Have Some Questions

dN3tGuru

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys !
I've just got the congratulation letter among with 3 forms (DSP-122 + 2x DS-230), I'm somehow confused by the options and ... !, I've also read the stuff available here and made myself somehow clear !
At first I want to ask about some questions that I must answer in the given forms !

About the DSP-122 Form :
Question 6-b : Do I need to include my elementary schools as well as High School and University ?!

Question 7-a/b : I'm teaching dentistry here in Iran for about 16 years and of course I have my own dental office, So ! here's the question "I meet both the Minimum Education and Minimum Work Experience, Shall I provide both the work experience and educational proof, or shall I stick with the educations and leave this field blank" ?!
If Yes, for the part "C", I've been teaching in a national university, so I've been working for the government ! what should I write here in section "C" (If it's needed)

And about the DS-230 Parts I-II :
Question 10 & 11 : Currently I'm living in Iran and I don't have any address in US, the question is "Do I need to provide my supporter's address, or shall I leave this blank" ?!

Question 21-a/b : It says "Person(s) named in 14 and 19 who will accompany you to the United States" and "... who will follow you to the United States", shall I write the names or full names or write all of them (as my 2 children are coming with me, so Is that Ok that I write "All Of Them Will Accompany Me To US" or I'll need to write their names ?!

Question 22 : In the 2nd part it says "Occupation that I intend to work in the US", I don't know if I can adopt my dental certificates and/or take some exams so I can qualify as some kinda dentist in US, what should I write here ?!

Question 30-d/e : What does it mean "Someone is that most likely to become a public charge" ?! / it says NBME/CGFNS equivalents, how can I find out that my certification is equivalent to these standard tests or not

Question 33-a : What should I answer to this question, I did not ever applied for a SSN, shall I choose yes ?! what about my children, should they choose yes also ?!

Question 34 : Is this necessary to write this that you (this community) and on of my children are helping me to complete this form ?!, what about my 2 children that are younger than 21 (that are following me to the US), should I specify that I am filling those forms for them ?!

And one other thing, I read about the Visa Bulletin that I have to check, Shall I check this bulletin with my Case Number (How ?), or after I send these forms they'd give me a visa number so I have to check this bulletin ...

I know I'm asking lots of questions, but please help me ! It would be a great help and I'll never forget it !

and something about the required documents !
What are "Deportation Papers" as I've never been deported from anywhere, and Do I need the marriage certificates (my prior) as I'm now divorced, (and I'm somehow confused about the field in DS-230 Part I (Section 9) that I've been married ... times including the current (as there is NO current, and I've been married once and divorced once)

I'd really appreciate your help and again thanks for all the useful stuff here in this forum, As u know I need to find these answers ASAP, so I've asked these from some of my friends and ..., so if anyone can answer even a little part, that would be a great help :)

BTW, My Case Number is AS0001XXXX shall I post the filled out forms right now ?! or I should wait a while until my case is up (and Can anyone tell me how can I find when is my time for my case number ?!)

--
With the best regards ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!

About the DSP-122 Form :
Question 6-b : Do I need to include my elementary schools as well as High School and University ?!

In my case, I did wrote all of my education history. But, I wasn't able to write all of them in the given space, so I just wrote "See Attachment 1" and prepared another sheet of paper. But, I know some people wrote highschool and above, and they didn't have any problem. I don't know which one is correct, but since there is no specific instruction writing all institutions would be safer, I think.
Start writing highest degree on the top.

Question 7-a/b : I'm teaching dentistry here in Iran for about 16 years and of course I have my own dental office, So ! here's the question "I meet both the Minimum Education and Minimum Work Experience, Shall I provide both the work experience and educational proof, or shall I stick with the educations and leave this field blank" ?!
If Yes, for the part "C", I've been teaching in a national university, so I've been working for the government ! what should I write here in section "C" (If it's needed)

You should write both of them (education and work experience) So, answer for 7a. should be "Yes." As for the name of your employer, in my opinion, it is OK to write the name of your university and address instead of the government. Since you own your dental office, you should write that one, too.

And about the DS-230 Parts I-II :
Question 10 & 11 : Currently I'm living in Iran and I don't have any address in US, the question is "Do I need to provide my supporter's address, or shall I leave this blank" ?!

You can't leave the space blank. For Q10, If you don't have a future address, you can write "N/A". But, for Q11, you will need some address. I wrote my friend's address.

Question 21-a/b : It says "Person(s) named in 14 and 19 who will accompany you to the United States" and "... who will follow you to the United States", shall I write the names or full names or write all of them (as my 2 children are coming with me, so Is that Ok that I write "All Of Them Will Accompany Me To US" or I'll need to write their names ?!

Write their full names in 21a. As for 21b, if all of you go to U.S. at the same time, then write "N/A"

Question 22 : In the 2nd part it says "Occupation that I intend to work in the US", I don't know if I can adopt my dental certificates and/or take some exams so I can qualify as some kinda dentist in US, what should I write here ?!

It's just intention, so you can write "teacher" or "dentist" (but there maybe a problem if you are teaching "dentistry" considering Q30e). But, in my opinion, it will be OK as long as you can explain about the licensing process in U.S. , which implies that you are not going to do illegal medical service.

Question 30-d/e : What does it mean "Someone is that most likely to become a public charge" ?! / it says NBME/CGFNS equivalents, how can I find out that my certification is equivalent to these standard tests or not.

A "public charge" is an immigrant who is likely to become "primarily dependent on the government for subsistence.
(That’s why we have to submit "evidence of support" at the time of interview.) So, answer should be "No."
About Q30e, I don't know how you can find out equivalency. I hope someone who engages in medicals could answer this question.

Question 33-a : What should I answer to this question, I did not ever applied for a SSN, shall I choose yes ?! what about my children, should they choose yes also ?!

If you have never applied for SSN, then the first part is "No" and "Yes" for the second one. Since I am single, I don't know about children's case... I guess same as parents' answer. But, it is just my guess.

Question 34 : Is this necessary to write this that you (this community) and on of my children are helping me to complete this form ?!, what about my 2 children that are younger than 21 (that are following me to the US), should I specify that I am filling those forms for them ?!

This is mostly for people who asks lawers or some company to fill out forms. So, in your case, you can just answer "No" in your document. But, I don't know about children's case. I hope someone with children can answer this.

And one other thing, I read about the Visa Bulletin that I have to check, Shall I check this bulletin with my Case Number (How ?), or after I send these forms they'd give me a visa number so I have to check this bulletin ...

Check general info by Catseyes.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=215048

Since you're in Iran, you are going to do CP. You just need to check bulletin to see if your number is current.

What are "Deportation Papers" as I've never been deported from anywhere

If you've never been deported, then you don't need any. :)

Do I need the marriage certificates (my prior) as I'm now divorced, (and I'm somehow confused about the field in DS-230 Part I (Section 9) that I've been married ... times including the current (as there is NO current, and I've been married once and divorced once)

If you divorced once and you are single now, I think you should check "Divorced." For the question you are asking, I guess answer should be "1," but I'm not 100% sure.

BTW, My Case Number is AS0001XXXX shall I post the filled out forms right now ?! or I should wait a while until my case is up (and Can anyone tell me how can I find when is my time for my case number ?!)

AS0001XXXX is a bit higher case #, but it became current August or September in past years. You have to return the documents, I say within a month. Do not wait, but do not rush!!! Take your time to fill out forms, and, check, check, check before sending them. And, make sure to make a copy of all documents before sending them, just in case.

I hope I could answer your questions. Good luck!

I don't engage in medicals, but I happened to find HP which give you the idea about equivalency though it is about California's case.;)
It looks like it depends on the State, so you probably can't do much about equivalency check until you decide in which state you are going to work. (It's my guess, again)

US Licensing Process Dentists (California's case)

http://www.e-welcomeback.org/wbdb/files/main/USLicensingProcessDentiststext.pdf

Licensing Overviews (California's case)

http://www.e-welcomeback.org/site/wbsf/section.php?id=123

Also, you'll find general info on dental license by American Dental Association

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/us.asp

Wowwww !!! I didn't expect my answers just in less than 3 hours !! :eek:
I owe y'all guys one :) ...
toomackie, really thank you for these detailed information and answering my questions one-by-one :rolleyes: ...
But I'm still somehow confused with the Case Number issue :confused:, as I found THIS THREAD here in this forum talking about "Being Filed Early" or something like that, is that just a AOS case ?! or just something about USCIS ?!
And about the checking my Case Number in that bulletin, should I search for the exact number in that page or some part of it ?! and you told me :
AS0001XXXX is a bit higher case #, but it became current August or September in past years.
Is this good or bad ?! u said it's a bit higher, higher than what ?!! and to be more specific my case # is AS000104XX
And again sorry for my newbie questions :), about the support ! Having 2 citizens filled out the evidence papers for me is enough ?! (One of them is currently living in US and the other one here in Iran, do I need to ask them to post me the papers ?! can a us citizen that is living in iran for years be my support ?!)
and one other thing, about the funds for bank papers, I'm immigrating with my 2 children (a sum of 3 ppl), how much money do I need in a bank so that would be enough for the immigration ?! (I've checked the 2 links in the given Link but one had returned 404 Not Found and the other one is for 2007 Poverty Guidelines and it seems that 20K$ would be enough !!!) can u please do me a favor and make it more clear for me ?!
And I'd be happy if anyone tell me how to open a bank account in US to transfer funds and get the papers, and how should I obtain one, which banks are preferred ?!

But the issue that is confusing me the most is that timing matter !

Again thanks for that answers absolutely in no time !!
I think I'll stay with this community even after when I'm done, cuz ppl are kindly donating their knowledge here

One other thing that is in my mind !, I found the forms online in Adobe PDF format, is this possible (has anyone done this anyway ?!) to fill these forms out in my PC and then get a print and post them ?! that would be lot easier to read anyway :)

About the DSP-122, As Iran has no US Embassy/Consulate I need to specify either Turkey or UAE embassies, It doesn't matter for me to be interviewed, So can I write "Any Embassy/Consulate In Turkey Or UAE" ?! Or can I write all embassies in that field ?! thanks for help !

And DSP-230 Part II : What is exactly a petitioner here ?! Should I write the name of my supporter or something like that ?!

--
Again thank you all !
With the best regards ever

you can disregard everything about AOS, since you will be doing consular processing. While doing CP, it's important to send forms early.

Is this good or bad ?! u said it's a bit higher, higher than what ?!! and to be more specific my case # is AS000104XX
it's bad. The higher the number, the later the interview. Sometimes the number is so high it never gets to the interview stage and the person never gets the GC. Read info on this forum on numbers becoming current and a visa bulletin.
I'm immigrating with my 2 children (a sum of 3 ppl), how much money do I need in a bank so that would be enough for the immigration ?!
about $15,000. It's better if you can get an affidavit of support I-134 from a relative or a friend who is a USC or GC holder (with sufficient income). Don't give it to the consular officer unless specifically asked for it.

Thank you again for the answers !
Does this matter "When I send these forms" or it's just about the case number, when it gets current it would be my time ?!

well, 15K$ is fine ! I think the more would be better, right ?! So I don't need to declare anything I have to the officer ?! I must have some evidence of support but I don't need to declare them unless they ask me ?!

hmm, about the other questions I've asked, well I know all of them are newbie questions but I'd be really happy if anyone can answer my other questions or give me any advice about these issues :)

Again thanks LucyMO :)

--
With Regards

dN3tGuru! salaam,

As far as I know, Iranian people need to have notarized I-134 as their affidavit of support.

Hi dN3tGuru,

toomackie, really thank you for these detailed information and answering my questions one-by-one ...

It's my pleasure. I'd appreciate if you give me some discount when you start practicing in U.S. Just kidding! :cool:

About, evidence of support, sorry I just submitted my bank statement, so I don't have much information about I-134.

And I'd be happy if anyone tell me how to open a bank account in US to transfer funds and get the papers, and how should I obtain one, which banks are preferred ?!

I don’t think you need a bank account in US right now. Also, some people prefer local bank and others prefer major bank such as Bank of America, US Bank, Citi Bank, etc. Sometimes local bank offer good service, so it’s hard to recommend which one is good right now. Also, you got plenty of time to prepare your required documents for your interview. You have more than one year. If you collect documents too early, there might be a problem (about some documents). So, don't worry so much about them right now. What you have to do right now is, fill out DS-230 1&2 (you and your children)and DSP-122(just you) and return them to KCC.

One other thing that is in my mind !, I found the forms online in Adobe PDF format, is this possible (has anyone done this anyway ?!) to fill these forms out in my PC and then get a print and post them ?! that would be lot easier to read anyway

You mean DS-230? If I were you, I would probably use the form sent by KCC. You see "2008" on the sheet, right? In my opinion, it will help KCC people to find it’s for DV applicants as soon as they see documents. Since your case must be processed by the end of September 2008, I guess it will be safer for you to use papers sent by KCC. (I guess you can make copies for your children, if copies works good. If not, I guess you can use downloaded forms for your children)
But, I understand PDF format is a lot easier. So, it's your choice.

About the DSP-122, As Iran has no US Embassy/Consulate I need to specify either Turkey or UAE embassies, It doesn't matter for me to be interviewed, So can I write "Any Embassy/Consulate In Turkey Or UAE" ?! Or can I write all embassies in that field ?! thanks for help !

Sorry, this question is country specific, so I don’t know what you should write. You may find answer if you search this site using "search" function and find posts by people from your country.

And DSP-230 Part II : What is exactly a petitioner here ?! Should I write the name of my supporter or something like that ?!

Is your question about Q29? If so, you should write your name. In other words, you are the petitioner for your children since you won DV.
So, you have to write your name for Q29 in your form and your children's form.

sorry, I had to run, so never answered the rest of the questions. Do search through the forum, all of them have been answered many times over.

I don't think you can open a US account remotely. A bank statement from your own bank in Iran will be sufficient. Get an affidavit of support just in case as well.

But the issue that is confusing me the most is that timing matter !
both the case number and the timely submission are important.

One other thing that is in my mind !, I found the forms online in Adobe PDF format, is this possible (has anyone done this anyway ?!) to fill these forms out in my PC and then get a print and post them ?!
yes, of course. Fillable forms are provided on www.travel.state.gov website - Department of State.

So can I write "Any Embassy/Consulate In Turkey Or UAE" ?!
yes, you can. Usually, if a country doesn't have a US embassy, another country is preselected for you automatically. Read through the forum, I remember there were Iranians here just recently.

And DSP-230 Part II : What is exactly a petitioner here ?!
You are the petitioner, since you are the winner.

Since your case must be processed by the end of September 2008, I guess it will be safer for you to use papers sent by KCC.
Since KCC processes only DV forms, I don't think it's essential to remind them that you won a DV lottery. Do whatever is more convenient for you, no reason to stick with the forms sent to you, if you want to fill them in online.

Hi LucyMo,

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate it. Frankly, I didn't use PDF because I just don't believe their paper work... :eek:
But, I guess fillable PDF will save time for DV winner, and it's true that it will be a lot easier for KCC people to read typed document unless hand writing is neat.

dN3tGuru,

It looks like it's not a big deal whether you use PDF fillable form or the one sent by KCC. I guess we can find many info by using "search" function. I found this thread by typing "DS-230 PDF."

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=216501&highlight=DS-230+PDF

My number is very closer to you. I just wish that both of us can be lucky to have the interview. My case number is AS000099**

My number is very closer to you. I just wish that both of us can be lucky to have the interview. My case number is AS000099**
I wish so :)
And Salam pscl ! Do u mean that bank statements of iranian banks are not accepted ?!
Well, again thank you LucyMO for all explanation and again many many thanks to you toomakie for even searching for me to fine the best answers for me !

about the printing issue, you said :
You mean DS-230? If I were you, I would probably use the form sent by KCC. You see "2008" on the sheet, right?
what about DSP-122 ?!, can I write to KCC and ask about this issue by email ?!

And about the I-134, it must be filled out by someone with good income living INSIDE us and holding a GC or USC, right ?!
Only one support by a GC or USC holder is enough ?! or shall I consider having more support and a bank statement ?!

And you know I have a serious problem with my birth certificate ! It's changed about 1 year ago, so it's number has been changed (It has a long story), but I have a problem ! All of my University Doctorate Certificates and ... have my old ID# on them, although I have a court letter that my ID# is changed !
Shall I go and ask for new certificates with my new ID# or translating the Court Letter is okay ?!!

Well, toomakie, I think I'm gonna pay this all back right here by helping others ;)

As far as I got this, local banks would be Ok, So what about the real estate I own in iran, could they be my support too ?!

--
Again thank you all guys !

I wish so :)
Do u mean that bank statements of iranian banks are not accepted ?!
Yes, as far as I know.

About the embassy where you are going to be interviewed, if you don't care where you are interviewed, I think writing the same "post" mentioned at the end of your notification letter is a good approach.

Yes, as far as I know.

About the embassy where you are going to be interviewed, if you don't care where you are interviewed, I think writing the same "post" mentioned at the end of your notification letter is a good approach.
Well what if I open a bank account in UAE and get a statement from that bank ?!
BTW, I'm really concerned about my birth certificate issue :confused: ...

Originally Posted by dN3tGuru
I wish so
Do u mean that bank statements of iranian banks are not accepted ?!
Yes, as far as I know.

is that specific to Iran? because in other countries bank statements from those countries are accepted on a regular basis.

And about the I-134, it must be filled out by someone with good income living INSIDE us and holding a GC or USC, right ?!
Only one support by a GC or USC holder is enough ?! or shall I consider having more support and a bank statement ?!
it has to be a USC or GC holder with sufficient income to cover his family+your family

And you know I have a serious problem with my birth certificate ! It's changed about 1 year ago, so it's number has been changed (It has a long story), but I have a problem ! All of my University Doctorate Certificates and ... have my old ID# on them, although I have a court letter that my ID# is changed !
Shall I go and ask for new certificates with my new ID# or translating the Court Letter is okay ?!!
you'll be just fine, no need to get anything again

Are you sure about the court letter about change in my Birth date and ID Number is enough ?!
Cuz all of my certificates and ... have the old ID # and Birth year printed on them, just like someone else got those certificates !! ...
But I have a legal letter from the court that my ID # and Birthday are legally changed in result of a court order, hence I can also request a new university certificate and ..., So are you sure that that letter would be enough ?!

And about the iranian banks, well I don't even trust in iranian banks !!, no wonder they can NOT accept a statement from these banks, anyways what about a bank account in some country near iran, like emirates or ... !
I have somehow a good number of properties owned by me in iran, can they be my support also ?! if yes how ... !

and can I email the KCC to ask some questions like filling the PDF forms instead the forms provided :) ?!

Again thank y'all guys !, U know I don't think I could make it without this help from y'all ...

--Regards ...

people use property as a proof of finances as well.

you can use DOS pdf forms from the DOS website. There is no need to ask KCC about such small things - they are busy answering questions that are actually serious.

people use property as a proof of finances as well.

you can use DOS pdf forms from the DOS website. There is no need to ask KCC about such small things - they are busy answering questions that are actually serious.

Okay !, So I can use my properties as a proof of support :), that's cool ! so what should I do to use my properties as a support ?! translate the legal owning documents ?! Or there are some forms or something to fill out ...

DOS PDF Forms ?! u mean this forms right ?! ~> http://www.state.gov/m/a/dir/forms/

--
Regards