• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Journalist wants to interview DV winners, based in New York

Britsimon

Super Moderator
I have been contacted by a journalist for AlJazeera who is interested in speaking to previous DV winners now living in New York. She has spoken with some EU/OC people and would benefit from speaking to AF or AS region winners.

If you are interested in talking with her, PM me and I will let you know the contact details for the journalist.

Would be interesting to know her 'slant'. Journos generally have an angle they want to show and if your story doesn't fit it you may be selectively quoted...
Cynicism from experience :p

Would be interesting to know her 'slant'. Journos generally have an angle they want to show and if your story doesn't fit it you may be selectively quoted...

Yeah, there is always a slant, but to be honest, I would never assume that the slant couldn't change during the writing of the piece. However, this is what she said to explain the slant - "Basically the idea is to profile a few winner experiences while taking a broader look at the DV lottery program, which seems to always be in the danger of being eliminated."

I think she would be "sympathetic" - but I'm sure there are no guarantees.

I came across an unbelievably bad and biased article yesterday that got me tearing my own fingernails out. I would normally just ignore stupidity, but this one was so bad (basically Ebola means cancel the lottery)

The piece is here http://michellemalkin.com/2014/10/03/can-we-end-the-crazy-diversity-visa-lottery-yet/

Here is my email to her.

"
It is a great shame that you posted such a negative piece about the DV lottery without even taking the 5 minutes needed to figure out the numerous factual errors in your piece.

You say:

"Applicants don’t even need a high school education".
Wrong - a high school education is a minimum standard for selectees (or verifiable work experience at a higher level occupation that would usually require a degree).

You say:
"But if you come from a terror-sponsoring or terror-friendly nation — such as Iran, Syria, Sudan, North Korea and more than a dozen officially designated terror enablers on the State Department’s list — no worries."
IN reality THOUSANDS of selectees (winners) were not approved last year because rigorous background checks either could not be completed or issues were found.

You say:
"Those who suffer from tuberculosis, leprosy or other afflictions “of public health significance” can apply for waivers."
In reality the waiver takes longer than the timeline on these cases allows so in the thousands of DV cases I have monitored, I have never even heard of someone having a waiver approved. Every DV immigrant must pass a medical before the interview will even take place.

You say:
"As I’ve reported for the past 12 years, enforcement and screening procedures are shoddy. "
Except that I have concrete evidence (denial rates per embassy) that show the chances of approval at some of the embassies you mention is around 50% because people either were caught trying to cheat the system or their background checks could not allow clearance in time - hardly seems shoddy screening to me!

So - by all means if you want to post and make up your own statements that have no basis in fact, then please do carry on exactly as you are doing already. It is a pity though that you try and pass this off as fact based reporting or commentary and if you really have been talking about this for 12 years you have no excuse for being this badly misinformed, other than deliberate, willful ignorance.

FYI, I converted to Green Card status this year through the DV program. I previously held an H1 visa to work here, and now reside in the USA. For 2014 I expect to contribute a substantial 6 figure sum in taxes to the US government based on worldwide income. Your poorly researched hatchet job of an article completely ignores that there are many DV selectees just like me that come here, work hard and contribute to the economy of the USA. If you had researched at all you would have found that DV immigration is, on the whole, more highly qualified than the more usual forms of immigration. But of course, that finding doesn't suit your myopic agenda.

Shame on you. "

Yup - Al Jazeera America
We need to see the policy channel. If they agree with the policy, such as the State Department. I think it makes no sense to communicate with them. I know "Russia Today" opposition media. Their very not like the State Department. Now if they would interested in this question. It would be interesting to contact them.:cool:

Very true. Its what they want to hear that they pick, rarely do other do it objectively

Yeah, there is always a slant, but to be honest, I would never assume that the slant couldn't change during the writing of the piece. However, this is what she said to explain the slant - "Basically the idea is to profile a few winner experiences while taking a broader look at the DV lottery program, which seems to always be in the danger of being eliminated."

I think she would be "sympathetic" - but I'm sure there are no guarantees.

I came across an unbelievably bad and biased article yesterday that got me tearing my own fingernails out. I would normally just ignore stupidity, but this one was so bad (basically Ebola means cancel the lottery)

The piece is here http://michellemalkin.com/2014/10/03/can-we-end-the-crazy-diversity-visa-lottery-yet/

Here is my email to her.

"
It is a great shame that you posted such a negative piece about the DV lottery without even taking the 5 minutes needed to figure out the numerous factual errors in your piece.

You say:

"Applicants don’t even need a high school education".
Wrong - a high school education is a minimum standard for selectees (or verifiable work experience at a higher level occupation that would usually require a degree).

You say:
"But if you come from a terror-sponsoring or terror-friendly nation — such as Iran, Syria, Sudan, North Korea and more than a dozen officially designated terror enablers on the State Department’s list — no worries."
IN reality THOUSANDS of selectees (winners) were not approved last year because rigorous background checks either could not be completed or issues were found.

You say:
"Those who suffer from tuberculosis, leprosy or other afflictions “of public health significance” can apply for waivers."
In reality the waiver takes longer than the timeline on these cases allows so in the thousands of DV cases I have monitored, I have never even heard of someone having a waiver approved. Every DV immigrant must pass a medical before the interview will even take place.

You say:
"As I’ve reported for the past 12 years, enforcement and screening procedures are shoddy. "
Except that I have concrete evidence (denial rates per embassy) that show the chances of approval at some of the embassies you mention is around 50% because people either were caught trying to cheat the system or their background checks could not allow clearance in time - hardly seems shoddy screening to me!

So - by all means if you want to post and make up your own statements that have no basis in fact, then please do carry on exactly as you are doing already. It is a pity though that you try and pass this off as fact based reporting or commentary and if you really have been talking about this for 12 years you have no excuse for being this badly misinformed, other than deliberate, willful ignorance.

FYI, I converted to Green Card status this year through the DV program. I previously held an H1 visa to work here, and now reside in the USA. For 2014 I expect to contribute a substantial 6 figure sum in taxes to the US government based on worldwide income. Your poorly researched hatchet job of an article completely ignores that there are many DV selectees just like me that come here, work hard and contribute to the economy of the USA. If you had researched at all you would have found that DV immigration is, on the whole, more highly qualified than the more usual forms of immigration. But of course, that finding doesn't suit your myopic agenda.

Shame on you. "
You are spot on! could someone for instance do a simple but scientific research on the income(read taxes paid) of dv winners vs others in a given state that has a good sampling frame and publish the findings?
This is what the media needs.

Usken go, no such info exists. Once you are an LPR you are an LPR and the means by which you acquired the status is not recorded for tax purposes.

Britsimon, did she say why NY exactly vs some other state?

Usken go, no such info exists. Once you are an LPR you are an LPR and the means by which you acquired the status is not recorded for tax purposes.

She is located in New York (NYC)

Michelle Malkin is a conservative journalist, so I'm not surprised she wrote such a scathing article about the DV lottery. For the record, she's from a Philipino immigrant background, so she's not one to attack immigration. Don't waste your time with someone like her.

Michelle Malkin is a conservative journalist, so I'm not surprised she wrote such a scathing article about the DV lottery. For the record, she's from a Philipino immigrant background, so she's not one to attack immigration. Don't waste your time with someone like her.

Yeah, I know her background and politics. But sometimes you have to say something...

You're right. It is good to make a stand, especially when there are factual errors (or she's lying).

That was the point ;)

So do most Brits of course, but you need to go back a bit further :D

Haha, yeah, that is a good point about the Brits, which I always level at blond Brits. But back to yours, the point is, oddly, often true about people one generation in... How soon people forget...

Now, we do research to get info. It exists out there.