Interviewed yesterday but I was not recommended for approval during interview!! Any idea why?

Hassan2007

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,
Check my timeline below but I've been scheduled more than a month before the interview and yet when I was interviewed yesterday, the IO asked me all questions on my N400 to verify and she was very nice I must say.

However, she said she needs to review my case since she just took the case and I've quiet a large file, really large file :) since my GC was pending for 8 years because of name check.

Anyways, I passed all tests and at the end she said she MAY approve my case by next week and I need to call the 800 number to check if it has been approved or not as the online case system my not reflect those changes.

I know I've had a bad luck and bad experience with UCCIS during my GC and the name check took forever. I understand - correct me if I'm wrong - that by the time you are scheduled for interview, you passed all background checks required by USCIS... Why would not she recommend me for approval?

Also, the oath ceremony would have to be scheduled like within 2 months for anyone who got approved, is that normal procedure?

Please advice as to what might be going on.

Thanks

However, she said she needs to review my case since she just took the case and I've quiet a large file, really large file :) since my GC was pending for 8 years because of name check.
Looks like you answered your own question. She didn't take a good look through your file before the interview, so now she needs time to inspect it after the interview.

I know I've had a bad luck and bad experience with UCCIS during my GC and the name check took forever. I understand - correct me if I'm wrong - that by the time you are scheduled for interview, you passed all background checks required by USCIS... Why would not she recommend me for approval?

There can be disqualifying facts in one's immigration file that wouldn't show up on background checks, such as an unexplained discrepancy between what was written on the green card application and naturalization application (e.g. marital status or prior marriages, number of children, country of birth, etc.).

I understand - correct me if I'm wrong - that by the time you are scheduled for interview, you passed all background checks required by USCIS... Why would not she recommend me for approval?

Yes this does happen unfortunately. even during my interview, everything went well and i passed everything, but the IO did not bother to verify my travel dates in their system prior to the interview. Since there were several brief trips, the IO decided to verify after the interview. I persisted that they take the 10 minutes to do it now, and for some reason the IO decided to do that, and passed me 10 minutes later.

Thank you for both for your clarifications...

I will update this post once I get some updates from the USCIS.

Thanks kashmir!

The IO promised to review and approve the case within two weeks however it has been 3 weeks and I've not heard anything from them.

I will wait 120 days before I take any actions.

Thanks again

My wife's case not approved at her interview whereas mine was. I knonw I could file for 1447(b) after 120 days but is there something one could to prod the local office to look at the case?

Write to local USCIS director? Reference the interviewing officer in the letter?

Or how about sendning direct letter to the attention of the interview officer at the local USCIS office?

Jefkorn,

Your interview was only a week ago. There is nobody or nothing to prod at this early stage. For those who didn't get recommended for approval at the interview, it's normal for them to take 1 or 2 months to make the decision.

Jefkorn,

Your interview was only a week ago. There is nobody or nothing to prod at this early stage. For those who didn't get recommended for approval at the interview, it's normal for them to take 1 or 2 months to make the decision.

I agree with Jefkorn. I talked to my lawyer and she said give them a month or so before we could inquire about out case...

My son had an interview on 2013-12-13, and his N-400 was not approved at that time. As it has been a month and an half (about six weeks) since his N-400 interview, he asked his Congressman's office to make an inquiry to the USCIS office.

Immigration is Federal matter, so Congressman's office provides the service to help his/her constituent people (regardless U.S. Citizen or not) about immigration issues.

You have to sign the privacy consent form which should be downloaded from Congressman's official website, in order for Congressman's staff to make an inquiry to the USCIS.

Good luck,

My wife's case not approved at her interview whereas mine was. I knonw I could file for 1447(b) after 120 days but is there something one could to prod the local office to look at the case?

Write to local USCIS director? Reference the interviewing officer in the letter?

Or how about sendning direct letter to the attention of the interview officer at the local USCIS office?

According to Publicus: http://forums.immigration.com/showt...bout-a-lawsuit-(Merged)&p=1292063#post1292063
Sending what is called a Demand Letter or an Intent to Sue letter is also advised. But for such letter to be effective, it has to be sent to the right authority: In the case of USCIS, you should send it to the Office of the General Counsel and to the District Director of the District Office handling your case. The General Counsel is the Attorney who advises USCIS regarding legal matters. They are like Corporate attorneys. When you sue a Corporation, the case is handles by their attorney. When you sue USCIS, the case goes to the General Counsel's office. You should include a draft of your complete complaint with the demand letter to show them that you are serious about suing. Give them a 30 days deadline then sue if you receive no answer.

Yes but intent to sue will be effective only if the 120 day mark is crossed or is appraching.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Today is one of my happiest days! I just received an email about Oath Ceremony notice... I was interviewed on Jan. 7th, 2014 and finally I will be a U.S. citizen.

The last 10 years have been the most stressed years of my life literally. It took me more than 7 years to get my green card and now I finally got my citizenship.

This forum has been so great and helpful. I'm very thankful for those to advised and helped, directly or indirectly.

Thanks again

Hassan

Hassan, congratulations !!

For my son's case, one of Congressman's staffs called the USCIS officer on 2014-02-04, and his online case status was changed to "Oath Ceremony" on 2014-02-07. He had an interview on 2013-12-13, and I think it would take forever unless Congressman's staff had contacted USCIS.

Congratulations Hassan! It's sweet. Now enjoy the hassle free life ..at least no worries on the Immigration status front. Looks like in your case, it took little over 4 weeks from interview.

kashmir!, how long did you wait for your son's case before contacting the Congressman's office?

Thank you kashmir and jefkorn.

I wish you luck in everything that you do! Finally I could rest and travel free of worries... :)

what do you know.. I got my case scheduled for Oath..

Oath Ceremony, On February 11, 2014, we placed your application in the oath scheduling que.

There are no updates on spouse's case as of today. wondering what's going on with that. May be send a letter to district office to nudge them as the primary is already on Oath scheduling.

hellllllllllooooooo Kashmir!

How are you?

I remember your posts when we were all waiting for our I485 and your tracker that you built

I think you used to use Led Zepplin songs as your tag lines....i.e. immigrant song

sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread, but glad to see you man

gettingclosernow, it had been amazing during our I-485 time, and I got my U.S. Citizenship in 2009. I came to this forum for my son who had been abroad for a while but recently had some trouble for his N-400 process. It seems that you applied N-400 just before. Good luck !!

jefkorn, here is the timeline:
2013-10-10 PD
2013-12-13 interview
2014-01-24 faxed to Congressman's office
2014-02-03 visited the office
2014-02-04 a staff called to USCIS
2014-02-07 online status changed to "Oath Ceremony"
2014-02-10 notice received
2014-02-20 Oath Ceremony

ok guys, spouse's online stats changed to "in oath scheduling" three later from primary applicant's online status. Have not received the oath letter in mail yet so not sure what the oath date will be.

Now wondering if spouse's oath date will be on the same day as primary applicant's (husband).

Maybe let it be whatever it is and just make two trips, one for husband and second for wife..

I feel tempted to ask USCIS customer service to see if the oath date for wife can be set to same as husband's...

It may already be too late as scheduling letters are probably already generated.