Interesting experience with immigration after becoming a US citizen

yay

Registered Users (C)
I flew from the west coast to Buffalo and used the shuttle to get into Canada. What happened, though is that I was denied entry because I didn't have a return flight ticket to California (it was a day of tougher inspection, according to Canadian immigration themselves).

So the shuttle driver drove me back to the US border. This officer took the document from the driver (my passport and the denial doc from Canada). He did some checking and said that I should go to their immigration office. I was a bit surprised, as I am a US citizen now - why would they want to inspect me further? He made it sound like a routine thing (for people who got denied entry to Canada).

Anyway, I went to the border building, waited a while, and then was called. The office I talked to was very friendly, asked me what happened, showed some sympathy. Then he asked me if I was every denied entry to the US back in 1995!

I was a bit confused. He saw my face and said that it was indeed a very long time ago to remember. But then I remembered what happened - it was a bit of misunderstanding leading to the second inspection. Back then I was visiting my family and unfornately I said I wanted to learn English and the officer was like, "you don't have a F-1 visa!". I tried to explain - that I didn't plan to enroll in any institution and I was just saying that by staying in the US I was hoping I would improve my English. Anyway, eventually they let me go with 3 month stamp.

I told this story to the officer and he even chuckled and said that the US immigration was a bit unreasonable back then. Then he asked me when I got my citizenship, what my status was since 1995, whether I was out of the status at any time. When I answered his questions, he said he 'obviously' has no problem since I am a citizen... I almost asked him then why I was brought in, but I held my tungue. He was nice enough.

He called me a cab so that I can go somewhere I can use Internet and buy a returning ticket. He even checked whether the cab would be taking a credit card, because I told him I might not have enough US dollar cash. Everything worked out beautifully after that.

Anyway, I wanted to share this story because (1) obviously one's becoming a US citizen may not end all US immigration woes and (2) I was surprised they had more than decade old information retrievable at the border.

As for the Canadian immigration, I learned my lesson and I will buy returning tickets or something that would show my departing date, even when I cross the border by car. I've been visiting Canada for almost 9 years and I never had any incident when I was not a US citizen. It is ironic that I had a problem when I was a US citizen.

Does one need to answer such question? will they detain and compell you to answer ? so how different is this from the PR?

Return flight to California? Is it that you live in California, so they expect you to fly back there?

Basically yes... but any plane ticket that would show I would be leaving Canada would've sufficed.

I actually bought a one way ticket from Toronto to my home country and they were satisfied. I showed them I have a long-term visa to my home country so they wouldn't send me back to Canada.

I wonder if someone had been out of status or any other problem that might not have come up during naturalization process and interview if they would become less friendly and try to revoke citizenship. Definitely they couldn't do it on the spot, or detain you or anything but initiate the process. All those innocent questions about when you became a citizen and if you were out of status at any time I don't think they were that innocent.

I wonder if someone had been out of status or any other problem that might not have come up during naturalization process and interview if they would become less friendly and try to revoke citizenship. Definitely they couldn't do it on the spot, or detain you or anything but initiate the process. All those innocent questions about when you became a citizen and if you were out of status at any time I don't think they were that innocent.
And the agent comments that immigration in 1995 was unreasonable :). I agree, these arent innocent questions. These guys go through serious training (ex cops, military) in asking innocent looking questions.

When I answered his questions, he said he 'obviously' has no problem since I am a citizen... I almost asked him then why I was brought in, but I held my tongue. He was nice enough.

If you really wanted to take a stand on the issue, you would have been well within your rights as a U.S. citizen to ask whether he had any reason to detain and question you at all... to my way of thinking, it is not reasonable for a CBP officer to question a U.S. citizen holding an genuine U.S. passport about his/her former immigration status... but you did the right thing not to escalate the situation, but this type of thing is disturbing...thanks for sharing this story...

Well,, you know the canadian borders are funky, outdated and sometimes miserable. I was a Permanent Resident of Canada 10 years back. However, I travelled back and forth with my US PR without any issue. However, when I renounced my Canadian PR, I started to have problems, being stopped at the borders and everytime they ask me why am I not returning to Canada. I explained to them that I renounced my Canadian PR. They told me it will take time for the records to be updated....The last time I visited I was stopped again and it was 6 months past my visit to the Canadian Counselor Office to renouce my citizenship. All in all,,,it appears that the Canadian Borders are very unpredicatable and not as easy as you may think of it to be.... I wonder what would happen next time I visit them with my US passport, I dont have high hopes though..

As for the Canadian immigration, I learned my lesson and I will buy returning tickets or something that would show my departing date, even when I cross the border by car. I've been visiting Canada for almost 9 years and I never had any incident when I was not a US citizen. It is ironic that I had a problem when I was a US citizen.

It could be that your country of origin has a high case of refugee claimants in Canada, or perhaps Canadian authorities saw that your previous PR status was canceled by you.
I'm sure they wouldn't have asked you for a return flight ticket if you lived in Buffalo.

As far as I know, once you presented proof of your citizenship, immigration related questions shouldn't be asked. It's another matter if it is a security related issue. My suggestion to you is contact a lawyer and get his opinion on what happened to you at the border and if the secondary inspection is legal or not.

As far as I know, once you presented proof of your citizenship, immigration related questions shouldn't be asked. It's another matter if it is a security related issue. My suggestion to you is contact a lawyer and get his opinion on what happened to you at the border and if the secondary inspection is legal or not.

CBP can ask you anything they want, whether you are a US citizen or not. Some of the questions may seem odd, but they are just banter to see if you have anything to hide. You always have the right to ask for a supervisor if you feel the questions are totally out of line. Becoming a naturalized US citizen doesn't make you immune to questioning as CBP has your history on file.

CBP can ask you anything they want, whether you are a US citizen or not. Some of the questions may seem odd, but they are just banter to see if you have anything to hide. You always have the right to ask for a supervisor if you feel the questions are totally out of line. Becoming a naturalized US citizen doesn't make you immune to questioning as CBP has your history on file.
They can't refuse entry if you are a citizen with adequate documentation (i.e. valid US passport). So I have to wonder if it is illegal for them to detain you for a long time if you refuse to answer some off-the-wall questions.

CBP can ask you anything they want...Becoming a naturalized US citizen doesn't make you immune to questioning as CBP has your history on file.

I am not so sure that a CBP officer can ask a U.S. citizen questions that go towards determining an admittance decision. A U.S. citizen gets to be admitted into his/her own country, short of showing up on a terrorist or wanted criminal name list. This questioning about a situation that took place when the current citizen was in immigrant or non-immigrant status seems completely out of line.

They can't refuse entry if you are a citizen with adequate documentation (i.e. valid US passport). So I have to wonder if it is illegal for them to detain you for a long time if you refuse to answer some off-the-wall questions.

They can refuse you entry if the authenticity of your US passport of if the validity of your US citizenship come into question . For example, let's say it was known that a certain country produced a high rate of quality forged US passports..it would almost be a sure bet that a naturalized US citizens from that country would face greater scrutiny by CBP.

They can refuse you entry if the authenticity of your US passport of if the validity of your US citizenship come into question . For example, let's say it was known that a certain country produced a high rate of quality forged US passports..it would almost be a sure bet that a naturalized US citizens from that country would face greater scrutiny by CBP.

Correct, but assuming, for the purposes of this discussion, that the OP had a genuine U.S. passport, it still does not seem reasonable for the CBP officer to ask questions about the OP's previous border crossing situation dating from when he was not a citizen. There is such a thing as "reasonable cause", and it doesn't seem legally acceptable that a CBP officer can just start asking random questions to any U.S. citizen regarding admittance if everything else appears to be in order (genuine passport, not on a watch list, etc.)

The fact that the OP was refused entry into Canada most likely set off CBP to further inspect the OP at reentry into US. The CBP officer was verifying the OP's story and happened to notice he was previously denied entry into US. CBP has the right to question how a naturalized citizen obtained US citizenship , since if it's discovered that you obtained it illegally by previously lying during the naturalization process it can lead to your detention a hearing.

I have a friend who is, after becoming US citizen, went to his home-country and stayed there for over one year. Upon returning to US (NY,JFK) officer told him that he can take away his US passport if he chooses so. Officer was very angry that he spend over 12 month outside of US.
After that event he called legal aid layer just to find out can officer at the border take away his US Passport. Layer told him that by law no one can take away his Passport, not CBP, FBI or CIA. Only court can do that.

I have a friend who is, after becoming US citizen, went to his home-country and stayed there for over one year. Upon returning to US (NY,JFK) officer told him that he can take away his US passport if he chooses so. Officer was very angry that he spend over 12 month outside of US.
After that event he called legal aid layer just to find out can officer at the border take away his US Passport. Layer told him that by law no one can take away his Passport, not CBP, FBI or CIA. Only court can do that.

May have been an older USCIS officer? Until 1994, there was a one year residency requirement after naturalization.