• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

inquiry about first time in US

leawe

hi all,

im about to go to US to activate my GC as im worried about the return of travel ban

i'll just gonna stay 5 days ....so during this short period do i have to go somewhere for green card processor?

as i know the GC will be stamped in my passport in the airport.. would this one be enough even though im leaving before receiving my GC and SSN?

could this 5 days are enough to open a bank account in US?

after coming back im gonna apply for a new passport would that be a problem?

hi all,

im about to go to US to activate my GC as im worried about the return of travel ban

i'll just gonna stay 5 days ....so during this short period do i have to go somewhere for green card processor?

as i know the GC will be stamped in my passport in the airport.. would this one be enough even though im leaving before receiving my GC and SSN?

after coming back im gonna apply for a new passport would that be a problem?

All fine. If you don't have your physical geeen card when you return, make sure you have your old passport with you as well so that you have the temporary green card.

All fine. If you don't have your physical geeen card when you return, make sure you have your old passport with you as well so that you have the temporary green card.
thanks @SusieQQQ
another question i know its mention fees for USCIS must be paid before arriving
can i pay there i have some problem with my credit card ? is there a penalty if its fine to pay there?

thanks @SusieQQQ
another question i know its mention fees for USCIS must be paid before arriving
can i pay there i have some problem with my credit card ? is there a penalty if its fine to pay there?

There's no penalty, it's fine if you pay in the US. Just don't delay it too long after you arrive because they won't send your green card until the fee is paid.

1 day is enough to open a bank account but you have to have an address that they can reach you at - mainly to send a card to that address. Citibank for example will issue you a 1++ month temporary card but will send the proper bank card (debit card) to an address they have of you in the system.

So to open a bank account is enough but you need to have a US address they can send the card to (same with GreenCard)

1 day is enough to open a bank account but you have to have an address that they can reach you at - mainly to send a card to that address. Citibank for example will issue you a 1++ month temporary card but will send the proper bank card (debit card) to an address they have of you in the system.

So to open a bank account is enough but you need to have a US address they can send the card to (same with GreenCard)
thanks abumiqdad
actualy i was wondering to open account by only the stamp of passport wihout physical GC or at least SSN number
bcz maybe it will come late

thanks abumiqdad
actualy i was wondering to open account by only the stamp of passport wihout physical GC or at least SSN number

Oh let me think. i am not sure if you can open without a SSN, some banks might be able to entertain that, but Citibank requested for me to show my SSN (which i fortunately have). You might have to check the banks available in the city you are going to and get thee requirements. The best location would be JFK and then go to Manhattan, you will have access to lots of banks (well mainly the many branches of the same bank).

thanks abumiqdad

Bank of America apparently allows you to open a bank account with just a foreign passport so suggest you try there.

Oh let me think. i am not sure if you can open without a SSN, some banks might be able to entertain that, but Citibank requested for me to show my SSN (which i fortunately have). You might have to check the banks available in the city you are going to and get thee requirements. The best location would be JFK and then go to Manhattan, you will have access to lots of banks (well mainly the many branches of the same bank).

If he's flying into JFK no need to go into Manhattan just to open a bank account. There are a zillion banks 10 minutes from the airport all over Queens. But anyway wherever he is going, there will be banks.... even in my sleepy little town of less than 17k people there are at least 7 banks.

Bank of America apparently allows you to open a bank account with just a foreign passport so suggest you try there.
thanks abumiqdad and susie thats really helped me will give it try

If he's flying into JFK no need to go into Manhattan just to open a bank account. There are a zillion banks 10 minutes from the airport all over Queens. But anyway wherever he is going, there will be banks.... even in my sleepy little town of less than 17k people there are at least 7 banks.

well point is, going to Manhanttan (if he is landing in JFK anyway) proves to allow him to access lots of banks and branches, while he can do some sightseeing.

But yeah, go anywhere you want to go and make sure you research the town you are going to stay at, to find all available banks, their opening hours as well as the requirements to open a bank account. That was what i did.

well point is, going to Manhanttan (if he is landing in JFK anyway) proves to allow him to access lots of banks and branches, while he can do some sightseeing.

But yeah, go anywhere you want to go and make sure you research the town you are going to stay at, to find all available banks, their opening hours as well as the requirements to open a bank account. That was what i did.

The US has a lot of regional banks. No point opening an account at a bank that might not have any branches near where you end up living.

There's no penalty, it's fine if you pay in the US. Just don't delay it too long after you arrive because they won't send your green card until the fee is paid.

So, can a green card winner use this as a trick to make sure the green card arrive at where they want it to?

Find a rental location first, update address, THEN pay the fee? Instead of using address given at the point of entry?

So, can a green card winner use this as a trick to make sure the green card arrive at where they want it to?

Find a rental location first, update address, THEN pay the fee? Instead of using address given at the point of entry?

It's a strategy rather than a trick, and yes. Remember change of address through USCIS can take a while to get into the system so you'd need to leave a fair time, probably a month or two after changing address, before paying in that case.

It's a strategy rather than a trick, and yes. Remember change of address through USCIS can take a while to get into the system so you'd need to leave a fair time, probably a month or two after changing address, before paying in that case.

really? i heard that you can only change it during your entry at PoE. and that is that. In my case, i changed it 5 days after my arrival (AR 11 form) but still USCIS sent to the address on DS 260.

really? i heard that you can only change it during your entry at PoE. and that is that. In my case, i changed it 5 days after my arrival (AR 11 form) but still USCIS sent to the address on DS 260.

And when did you pay your fee? Before you entered?
Yes have heard of many cases of people changing on AR11 but getting sent to the old address - which is precisely why I said he should wait 1-2 months after changing address before paying the fee, to ensure it is in the system.

Yes, paid before i entered. when you say it is in the system, using the online USCIS system, and the address is updated instantaneously. But maybe it has not been cascaded through the whole USCIS.

So go ahead and try, i would like to know if that works. in my case, now i have to apply for replacement cards.. $$$$ gone.

Yes, paid before i entered. when you say it is in the system, using the online USCIS system, and the address is updated instantaneously. But maybe it has not been cascaded through the whole USCIS.

So go ahead and try, i would like to know if that works. in my case, now i have to apply for replacement cards.. $$$$ gone.

Well gee you know our USCIS stuff comes to our updated address, so I guarantee you it works. But if you already triggered card production, like you did, with the previous address in the system then that is when it seems to not work. Hence, again, the suggestion to wait to ensure that everything is ready before doing it.

One should never list an address for green cards that is not safe to have them sent to because of potential issues like this. Sorry you lost yours because of it, they are not cheap to replace.

Hi all again
So ive arrived into texas finally yesterday
What i found there is no way to pay the 220$ in the airport... they've told me only online
Also i didn't get stamp for GC in my passport .. they said the one that i got is valid till 1 year or till i get my GC
Ive told them im leaving monday and im coming back before 6month so by that time it will be expired as its validity 6 month from the date of issue but they said no the 6month will be count from the entery stamp of the airport