• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Im now a LRP (yay) -and i love America, but i am scared i cant make 300k PA like i am in europe :(

It would be interesting to see the statistics involved in people who abandon settling for good despite getting a green card. I have always thought the only reason the DV programme has sustained for as long as it has is because there is a large fall-out along the way. Long term, the actual numbers who become a permanent part of the US population is probably quite low. I think you only need look at this board to see that a lot of the winners rarely speak and write English well. Sure they may have degrees but can you imagine a fresh graduate from, say, Bangladesh with no work experience. What is he going to do when he gets to the US? No way is he going to even get a sniff at top corporate jobs, or the type of career you would want for yourself having gone through how many years of education. So DV winners are like long term tourists. They are revenue generators. They pay DV fees, come into the economy and spend money, buy houses, pay taxes, etc....

The reality therefore of the DV programme is likely to be that you see a very high take-up rate and people who do go through the interview stage and enter the US, but the numbers who actually do stay far and beyond the initial years is not that great. I personally think the US government ought to charge a fee for entering the DV application. For every person who wins the DV and decides not to live in the US afterall, just think of the lost opportunity for others who are well able but have not been selected. Just my 2p.

i wish there were 'informative points you could give posts.... this was interesting analysis

the number of people not ready to move to the US and yet participating (and therefore taking chances away from us) makes me sick. i lost for the 3rd year in a row and reading all these posts of people having existential issues whether to go or not go really pisses me off.

USCIS should take your credit card info when you enter the lottery and charge winners a large amount of penalty - like $5,000 - should they decide to finally not move to the US. That'll teach them. So frustrating.

the number of people not ready to move to the US and yet participating (and therefore taking chances away from us) makes me sick. i lost for the 3rd year in a row and reading all these posts of people having existential issues whether to go or not go really pisses me off.

USCIS should take your credit card info when you enter the lottery and charge winners a large amount of penalty - like $5,000 - should they decide to finally not move to the US. That'll teach them. So frustrating.

hi,

The objective of the programme is to take 50,000 LPR per year.
And it does.
So someone winning the lottery and not taking the visa is not hurting anyone chances.

someone taking the visa and not even setting foot in the states may hurt someone else's chances in the few countries were numbers dry up before year's end (egypt, ethiopia, nigeria), but i doubt that happens often.

keep in mind for most participants, the visa fee itself is a lot of money:
in africa, were people often live for a dollar a day or less, paying a couple of thousand dollars for family visa is very, very expensive.

Why moving to the USA?

similar to a few folks who have said effectively 'move, and drag out the final stage' yeah, it seems like i can get 2, possibly three years that way, and honestly that ought to be enough if i can save 100 per year

consider that i pay now, 70,000 in RENT , and cant buy without 20% deposit (buy starts at 1.5 to 2 million for anything reasonable)

70 k in rent? Where do you live? And anything reasonable 1.5 to 2 million? What is reasonable? What house you looking for?

If you are so well why in the world you wanna go to the USA? You sound like you are well to do where you are and you dont even sound interested in actually living in the USA, you dont seem to show any reason why you want to be there.

I dont understand
JC

Delusional if you think this and very misleading to people. The streets of America are NOT paved with gold. Employers prefer people with local experience so an immigrant will never be able to match peer level. A large proportion of immigrants probably end up worse off economically. People just want to go over for reasons other than money.

I agree!

Not everybody is looking for money when wanting the chance to live in the US. I am not.

I am looking for other things, way of life, freedom, life is easier there in most of the situations, history, etc...

For example, I have a permanent resident permit in Spain, I have been living here since I was a child (5 years old), now I am 33, and 1 year to get my Spanish nationality, but my origins are Arabs. You know what? I have never felt completely integrated and accepted in this nation, people here are not used to foreigners yet, and they will always look at you as a "Moorish that got the papers". I have been feeling this kind of behavior for years...

However I have traveled many times to US (and I am still going in summertime), and at least the area I am used to visit and the social circle that I am used to be in, I have never been so accepted and integrated in my life! (and I am talking about 5th-6th generation born American people, baptist, catholics, etc..). Here in Spain people talks badly about US, in many situations I have discussed with Spanish people because thay are used to say Americans hate Arabs... I have never been so hated as in here in Spain.

If you work hard you could be something, being an American is beyond your race and religion and origins (at least that is how the state is built on and how the laws are made), ... being Spanish, French, etc.. you have to be white and Christian to be accepted as 100% nationalized person.

I am sorry for the Europeans, I am sorry for the old world, but I am seeking for a life in the US not because the money, not because jobs, ...because I want to feel part of a society that accepts me when I work hard and I do all my best to integrate.

America has been built by Immigrants escaping from the old world tiranies (economics and / or religion persecutions).

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that people who aren't sure for more than 80% and just enter for the fun of it, should be penalized in a way....so many others really want to win and their chances of winning will getting slimmer.

We can read many stories of people who want help on this forum and some of them I wonder why they even entered.

That was my reason for writing the thread "things to know before you enter the DV 2011 lottery"
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=302729

People who have no money can't afford the fees! People who have no job experience or a HS diploma aren't eligible...Gays have to win seperately since gay marriages aren't legal over here and it will be a huge issue if one wins and the couple has kids....better realize what you will run into before winning! Some gay's are entering since they are ina relationship with a person in the US and this is their only chance....but their chance became less due to the gay couple who after winning realizes what they are running into...so be human and only enter if you know you want to live here...ther isn't a bag of money waiting here for any one...just a new life and you have to start over and do it your self!

If you have a great job with more security and not sure if you want to give it up for a job over here and having a chance to be fired the next day...don't enter. etc...

We don't have to agree if the US system is better or not, there are other places to do so, but this is a lottery that for some is the only chance to come here and they now for 200% they want to be here.

There was a man who entered but didn't fill out his wife or kids and he won...well he is not eligible for a GC since he didn't fill out he was married and had kids...so again a winning NL lost for soe one who really is eligible.

I know that many more people get NL's than there are GC, but still...at least let the people win who know what is at risk and are eligible from whatever country or background!

I agree that people who aren't sure for more than 80% and just enter for the fun of it, should be penalized in a way....so many others really want to win and their chances of winning will getting slimmer.

We can read many stories of people who want help on this forum and some of them I wonder why they even entered.

That was my reason for writing the thread "things to know before you enter the DV 2011 lottery"
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=302729

People who have no money can't afford the fees! People who have no job experience or a HS diploma aren't eligible...Gays have to win seperately since gay marriages aren't legal over here and it will be a huge issue if one wins and the couple has kids....better realize what you will run into before winning! Some gay's are entering since they are ina relationship with a person in the US and this is their only chance....but their chance became less due to the gay couple who after winning realizes what they are running into...so be human and only enter if you know you want to live here...ther isn't a bag of money waiting here for any one...just a new life and you have to start over and do it your self!

If you have a great job with more security and not sure if you want to give it up for a job over here and having a chance to be fired the next day...don't enter. etc...

We don't have to agree if the US system is better or not, there are other places to do so, but this is a lottery that for some is the only chance to come here and they now for 200% they want to be here.

There was a man who entered but didn't fill out his wife or kids and he won...well he is not eligible for a GC since he didn't fill out he was married and had kids...so again a winning NL lost for soe one who really is eligible.

I know that many more people get NL's than there are GC, but still...at least let the people win who know what is at risk and are eligible from whatever country or background!

Completely agree;

That is why I think the DV Program should start charging a fee to enter the Lottery, so only really 100% interested people will apply.

Regards,

I totally agree with bentlebee and Pizarro.

Moving to another country is serious business, it can't be a matter of asking people in a forum if you should or should not do it.

In my opinion, if there is any doubt, then you should not move and you should not apply.

(I went to macdonalds in europe today, bot 2 bigmacs and med fries and coke -
(we shared the fries/coke) -cost? == $19 , bot a movie ticket cost = $19

That's a real expensive Mcdonalds.

Here in the UK you can get 2 Big Mac Meals for less than £8

Something doesn't add up here!!

(I went to macdonalds in europe today, bot 2 bigmacs and med fries and coke -
(we shared the fries/coke) -cost? == $19 , bot a movie ticket cost = $19

That's a real expensive Mcdonalds.

Here in the UK you can get 2 Big Mac Meals for less than £8

Something doesn't add up here!!

LOL.

I only have hamburgers when I visit US and I can go to Hardee's, Wendy's, Arby's or Applebee's.. he he he, even MacAdoo's hamburgers are better than anything you can find here...thick 100% beef tasty meet...

At least in Spain, McDonalds and Burger King meat and bread are a crap and 5 times more expensive than in US. And of course do not ask about re-filling your drink as in US!!!!....

What I am sure is that in most of the areas in US (except tourist places like Manhattan, Washington DC, etc..), life cost (food, clothes, even house rental, etc..) are cheaper than in Spain. I am paying 665 Euros (utilities not included) for 55m2 flat in Spain 10km away from the downtown!!!; I could be paying a house with garden in Virginia for that price!!.

Also do not talk about gas, 1 gallon, aprox, 3.8l for up to 2.5 bucks (and Americans are complaining because it is expensive!!..), the service when you go to anyplace (restaurant, stores, etc..) is thousands of years away from what we are used to receive here in Spain, people are more polite, Malls and Commercial areas are also better than the ones in Europe (WallMart offer is huge in comparison with Carrefour or others), also customer have more rights to complain than in Europe (I have returned an opened biscuits box with 5 biscuits left to WallMart because I did not like their taste and they returned my money back..), etc..

More things? In Spain getting the driver license takes 4 months and more than 1600Euros...in US you learn during the High school and getting the license is just 125bucks in 30 minutes exam, ... driving rules are easier and more logical than Europe, etc.. I could keep writing for hours, but from all what I have seen from my many visits and stays in US is that LIFE there is cheaper and much much easier.

This is one of the points nobody looks at: In US, life is cheaper than in Europe, which is one of the reasons what I love that country and I want to move; earning the same money in US as in Europe, gives you a better life (of course if your company pays you a good health insurance otherwise the bills will ruin you).

I think it is 100% crucial to know US before deciding to move and settle there!!! not just because of the movies.

Regards,

LOL.

I only have hamburgers when I visit US and I can go to Hardee's, Wendy's, Arby's or Applebee's.. he he he, even MacAdoo's hamburgers are better than anything you can find here...thick 100% beef tasty meet...

At least in Spain, McDonalds and Burger King meat and bread are a crap and 5 times more expensive than in US. And of course do not ask about re-filling your drink as in US!!!!....

What I am sure is that in most of the areas in US (except tourist places like Manhattan, Washington DC, etc..), life cost (food, clothes, even house rental, etc..) are cheaper than in Spain. I am paying 665 Euros (utilities not included) for 55m2 flat in Spain 10km away from the downtown!!!; I could be paying a house with garden in Virginia for that price!!.

Also do not talk about gas, 1 gallon, aprox, 3.8l for up to 2.5 bucks (and Americans are complaining because it is expensive!!..), the service when you go to anyplace (restaurant, stores, etc..) is thousands of years away from what we are used to receive here in Spain, people are more polite, Malls and Commercial areas are also better than the ones in Europe (WallMart offer is huge in comparison with Carrefour or others), also customer have more rights to complain than in Europe (I have returned an opened biscuits box with 5 biscuits left to WallMart because I did not like their taste and they returned my money back..), etc..

More things? In Spain getting the driver license takes 4 months and more than 1600Euros...in US you learn during the High school and getting the license is just 125bucks in 30 minutes exam, ... driving rules are easier and more logical than Europe, etc.. I could keep writing for hours, but from all what I have seen from my many visits and stays in US is that LIFE there is cheaper and much much easier.

This is one of the points nobody looks at: In US, life is cheaper than in Europe, which is one of the reasons what I love that country and I want to move; earning the same money in US as in Europe, gives you a better life (of course if your company pays you a good health insurance otherwise the bills will ruin you).

I think it is 100% crucial to know US before deciding to move and settle there!!! not just because of the movies.

Regards,

Many America's don't understand how good their life is....and right now the government is trying to make it over here like Europe and we were just so happy to be away from Europe because of the things you described...

One thing which is not so nice is that in Fl. the property taxes are very high which makes owning a home way more expensive than a lot of people think it is...

With your attitude I know you will be at the right place living over here:)

you guys are just funny !!! there is 80 MILLION people in the USA living on the verge of poverty and about 30 million actualy facing hunger every day -also you have abut 2.5 MILLION people in prisons and about 7 million people who passed through prisons in the last 2 DECADES - working people in this country had to BAIL OUT US FAILED CAPITALIST SYSTEM TO THE TUNE OF 14 TRILLION DOLLARS -every man,women and child in this country OWE 5000 dollars just for that BAIL OUT ALONE .-that would mean we gave OUR MONEY for nothing since none of it would came to us in any form .SO DUDE SOMEONE STOLE 14 TRILLION DOLLARS AND YOU AND ALL OF THE GUYS PARTICIPATING ON THIS FORUM WOULD HAVE TO PAY UP FOR IT THROUGH NON EXISTING MEDICAL INSURANCE ,HIGH COST OF LIVING , HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT,LOWER WAGES ETC
YOU SAY AMERICANS DON'T KNOW HOW GOOD IS THEIR LIFE -WELL DUDE THEY KNOW EXACTLY HOW GOOD IT IS -TRUST ME ON THAT
THANK GOOD EUROPE IS NOT GOING THAT WAY TO BECOME NEW USA

just to make it clear once again -every man,women and child owe 5000 DOLLARS EVERY YEAR IN THE NEXT DECADE OR SO (TILL APPROX 2018 ) TO COVER THIS ECONOMIC MESS

My opinion

I have to say, I think i can one up almost everyone in this thread.

So i lived in Europe and Mexico and now the US, so i have experienced first hand what is like to live as an foreigner or immigrant in the US and Europe, For starters I lived in Germany

People out there are definitely pissed all the time.. at least that's my impression compared to the US. Some people here complain about how Europeans dont allow outsiders to integrate to their society been from a different enthic background.
I will say that this issue is absolutely correct but is not only the rest of the society as a whole to blame but rather both parties. I tried making friends with many turks in Germany and they just stuck to each other in the US, is so common to see east asians only hanging out with each other. IF anyone disagrees with this please let me know. certainly this is a generalization that does not constitute the entire group.

Do Arabs get better treatment in the US than Europe? its hard to say, i can not say first hand since in theory i am "christian" (im not religious at all) its not uncommon to hear about hate crimes towards muslims in the US but i think the same is true to Europe in my case Nazi germans towards Turks.

Is the US a better place to live than Europe? it depends what stage in life you are. yes its easier and perhaps cheaper to buy a home here, but the healthcare system is super crappy, our life expectancy is much lower the Western Europe and in education dont even get my started with how some schools still debate Evolution and creationism.. (this is the only industrialized nation where this crap happens)

I think the US is great place to earn capital and enjoy a good amount time of your mid 20s to 40s after that, I would presume Western Europe can offer a healthier and better life style.

Should this discourage someone to move to the states? not at all. There are many other reasons why moving to the US is still worth it. I for once love how cheap it is to travel from here.. i hate driving everywhere but i enjoy sking and surfing within a short drive.

just my thoughts.

salaries are very low by any standards -before -during 80s and 90s 1 US DOLLAR was worth say 2 DEM (German marks ) so if someone had a job in the USA paying say 30 000 dollars that was in fact 60 000 DEM and back then you can buy a nice house in Germany for 120 000 marks -but them EU decided to go for single currency + Europe was developing fast -much faster that US -infrastructure is far better and education + lots of other things -so when EURO was launched suddenly dollar was weak -that in efect put the lid on ''brain drain'' from EU to the USA -suddenly salaries where lower for about 30% in the US then for the same job in Europe .
somebody mentioned that the gas is cheaper in the USA - well yes-that is true - but public transport system in all of the US cities is very bad -and US is bigger country then whole of the Europe so without cars and gas everything woule stop here in matter of days if the gas is not there or gets more expensive - US could not cope with such problem -in Europe car is perceived still as a luxury (which in efect it is ) since there is a wast network of public transport systems in place which works perfectly -and is cheap ,fast and is already using clean energy (saves one TOO)-in US they only now are talking about creating something like that !!
but in the US car insurance is very expensive -it could easly cost as much as 2000-3000 DOLLARS PER YEAR - driverse licence is cheap to get but insurance is running wild in the US since they have good lobby in Washington and they can charge anything they like

also about US and why it is called versatile and equal opportunity society - in Europe most of the people that I know (actualy all of them )have all kinds of friends -Chinese , Indian-Asian ,Blacks etc -born in EU or recent immigrants but here in the US I was supprised that my white friends do not have any friends outside of their ethnic group -also my only black friend ) had only me as a friend outside his ethnic group - he has only black friends -( he could not even remember anyone in his family or other black friends who had white or asian friend ever ). also in most of the companies I worked there was a class structure -upper management and lower employees ''rungs'' and those two did not mix up at all - even so much that friend of mine -a girl which I consider to be a friend -when got promoted she stoped even saying hallo to us -guys from her old department -I thought that was strange but I was told its a normal thing (by guys who had more experiance from othe companies)
also me and other ''immigrants'' (green card or HB1 visa holders) ended up together and none of us had any friends outside our group - nobody had any US frineds (native of US that is) - now that was strange since I worked in France ,UK and Germany but never had a problem to integrate or interact with different ethnic groups -on the contrary I had friends to this day from England and France -both born in those countries or friends who emmigrated from another country (so called ''first generation immigrants '')-
for the country claiming to be open to immigrants I found it actualy quite the opposite - there is a class abowe and there is a class society in place which one of my friends in UK described ''as BRITISH CLASS SOCIETY OUT OF DICKENS STORIES'' -ie from 19th century England in the time of EMPIRE .