I-751

ChicagoGal said:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if additional travel-specific documents are required while your I751 application is still pending. I just received an NOA for my I751 petition today, Oct 6. My conditional GC expires Nov 14 06. If I need to travel after Nov 14 06, do I need to get my passport stamped or something?

Yes. If you are going to travel outside US a stamp won't hurt. Also, make sure to bring your I-751 NOA with you.

Travel

We just filed 751 for my wife and her conditional greencard expires in January 07.

After reading this discussion it seems that the greencard approval document might take 8-12 months. We were planning to go to India for a vacation in January 07. Can we go with the expired greencard and the application receipt or do we need other paperwork.

What paperwork do I need to file, any help would greatly appreciated.

Niral Modi said:
We just filed 751 for my wife and her conditional greencard expires in January 07.

After reading this discussion it seems that the greencard approval document might take 8-12 months. We were planning to go to India for a vacation in January 07. Can we go with the expired greencard and the application receipt or do we need other paperwork.

Expired green card and I-751 receipt (which extends conditional gc for a year) are enough.

Niral Modi said:

No paper work needed. I would advice you to make an infopass appointment at your local DO and stamp your passport.

My wife's green card is going to expire in about 4 days. We applied for the conditional status to be removed three months ago and haven't even gotten a receipt number except through a customer service agent over the phone. However, that number never works online. Since we don't have the 12 month extension, yet, I understand I'm supposed to get her passport stamped by making an appointment through infopass. Is this correct?

Thanks

tooth said:
My wife's green card is going to expire in about 4 days. We applied for the conditional status to be removed three months ago and haven't even gotten a receipt number except through a customer service agent over the phone. However, that number never works online. Since we don't have the 12 month extension, yet, I understand I'm supposed to get her passport stamped by making an appointment through infopass. Is this correct?

Thanks

Receipt numbers for I-751 never work online. What it means is that you cannot track your wife's application via the online case status...
I would suggest to schedule an infopass and ask them directly what's going on with your NOA. NOA itself is an extension of GC and also a permit for travel/work, and it is very important to have it. So, you are absolutely correct about getting your wife's passport stamped.
Again, when you go to infopass,mention that NOA still haven't been received... 3 months is a long wait, you should of got it a long time ago.
By the way, have you tried contacting a customer service about it?
Good luck.

Dani said:
Receipt numbers for I-751 never work online. What it means is that you cannot track your wife's application via the online case status...
I would suggest to schedule an infopass and ask them directly what's going on with your NOA. NOA itself is an extension of GC and also a permit for travel/work, and it is very important to have it. So, you are absolutely correct about getting your wife's passport stamped.
Again, when you go to infopass,mention that NOA still haven't been received... 3 months is a long wait, you should of got it a long time ago.
By the way, have you tried contacting a customer service about it?
Good luck.

My wife called customer service about it and they gave her the receipt #. My wife says the immigration officer was hurried and would only say that it was in "processing." Hopefully we will be able to get more information from them tomorrow and at our infopass appointment. Thanks

So we got an appointment on infopass very quickly and easily. We got the passport stamped but they took the GC. I don't know where that really leaves us. No GC, no NOA, but a stamped passport. I guess we get to stay in the US (no traveling outside continental US) until the new GC is approved.

tooth said:
So we got an appointment on infopass very quickly and easily. We got the passport stamped but they took the GC. I don't know where that really leaves us. No GC, no NOA, but a stamped passport. I guess we get to stay in the US (no traveling outside continental US) until the new GC is approved.

No, you can freely travel outside the US until the date on your new I-551 stamp on your passport.
I thought you're not required to give up your expired GC though.
I thought that was required when you receive I-751 approval notice and then go to the DO and request a new one.

Anyways, you're free to travel until the I-551 stamp expires.

sarrebal said:
No, you can freely travel outside the US until the date on your new I-551 stamp on your passport.
I thought you're not required to give up your expired GC though.
I thought that was required when you receive I-751 approval notice and then go to the DO and request a new one.

Anyways, you're free to travel until the I-551 stamp expires.

I also was under the impression that they wouldn't take the GC away until the new one was available. But, it was going to expire tomorrow so, I guess it was worthless anyway. It was just a shame to see it go after we worked so hard to get it.

tooth said:
I also was under the impression that they wouldn't take the GC away until the new one was available. But, it was going to expire tomorrow so, I guess it was worthless anyway. It was just a shame to see it go after we worked so hard to get it.

The whole process of removing conditions is different now. They do take the old GC or send a letter in which they ask to mail it back to the Service Center - that happend to a lot of people.
The stamp is a proof of continious residence, so your wife can travel/work.
Hope she'll get her NOA very soon.

file I-751 w/o GC?

I am stuck in name check since Feb 2005 and I am rapidly approaching the 2nd anniversary of my initial I485 interview. NO GC so far.
Am I elligible to file I-751 at all?
If not, should I wait till they send me the card and file I-751 before the 2nd anniversary of that event? (which means x years later...)
Meanwhile, is there anything I can do other than keep renewing my EAD?

any advice?

--------------------
April 2004-Married to USC
June 2004-Initial I765 & I485 filed
Feb 2005-I-485 interviewed but no card due to name check(the IO said the card was to be sent out within 90 days!)
Oct 2005-2nd I-765 filed
MAR 2006-EAD renewed
Current-no GC, 2nd EAD expires in Dec

unit 3021 said:
I am stuck in name check since Feb 2005 and I am rapidly approaching the 2nd anniversary of my initial I485 interview. NO GC so far.
Am I elligible to file I-751 at all?
If not, should I wait till they send me the card and file I-751 before the 2nd anniversary of that event? (which means x years later...)
Meanwhile, is there anything I can do other than keep renewing my EAD?

any advice?

--------------------
Feb 2005-I-485 interviewed but no card due to name check(the IO said the card was to be sent out within 90 days!)
Oct 2005-2nd I-765 filed
MAR 2006-EAD renewed

You have to file 21 months after you became e permanent resident.
In your case though, by the time you will become a permanent resident you will be married for more than 2 years, therefore you'll be granted a permanent 10-year green card.
EDIT: You got married in April 2004. Forget the I-751, you won't have anything to do with that, but unfortunately all you can do now is keeping renewing EAD and AP.

Thanks Sarrebal, for taking the time to reply my post.
One more question: what do you think is causing this delay? Could it be that something about my name check? 2 of my friends in California got married 6 months after me and they ve had their GC for a year. I just don't understand the logic behind a 600+-day of name check.
--------------------
I am Asian
Oct 2005-2nd I-765 filed
MAR 2006-EAD renewed

I am an Asian ( or east) Indian

Feb 2003 - Married USC
Sep 2004 - Filed I-485
Jan 2005 - I-485 Interview and conditional permanent residency approved
Mar 2005 - Received Conditional GC
Nov 2006 - Filed I-751
Nov 2006 - (3 weeks after filing I-751) Received NOA with 1 year extension
Nov 2006 - (3 weeks after filing I-751) Received appointment for biometrics
Dec 2006 - Completed biometrics appointment
Feb 2007 - Received an email with status: card production ordered.
Jan 2008 - 1 year Extension on Conditional GC expires

Last edited by a moderator:
HOw long do you have to wait

to get a receipt from the service center after filing I-751? I have been waiting for 4 weeks which is considered normal and so far there's nothing.
I called the 800 number and they didn't have much information either. They just gae me a receipt number which won't work online. How am I supposed to know what is going on with my application and how long will it take to get some kind of letter from them? :confused:

Has your cheque cashed? I assume you are waiting for an NOA? Even if you get it, it will not help. I-751s cannot be tracked. I underwent the I-751 processing in July 2005 through NSC. It only took 75 days for the I-751 to run its course back then.
Good luck!!!

I sent it 11/21, it was received 11/24 and the check was cashed on 11/28.
My biggest problem is that when I printed out I-751 in late October it stated the fee was 205$. I was not aware of the 70$ additional fee until a few days ago. So I have no NOA nor no idea what is going on/when this fee was changed.

I guess my best bet is to wait a few more weeks and then make an appointment in the local office to find out what is going on with my case. The 800 number seems to giving all kind of different answers.

Hello,

I am in the same boat. I downloaded the file from USCIS webpage last week. It did not mention anything about 70 dollars biometrics fee. So, I only sent $205.
Yesterday,I saw the new fee on the USCIS webpage. I called the 800 number and was told to send a cheque for Biometrics and was told that the form on USCIS webpage was outdated since Aug2006.
In my case, I will just send additional money and wait to get NOA.

I called the 800 number yesterday and they told me 205$ was fine. I'm tempted to send that extra 70$ just to be sure. Did they give you any instructions on how to send that fee? Is there any form you have to fill out?