I-751 waiver (divorce) thread

Hello People:

I had my interview this morning. Here is a quick summary of my situation. We were married back in April of 2006, got my temporary resident approval (temporary greencard) approved February of 2007. We got divorced October of 2008 and I then filed through a lawyer, removal of conditions based on "marriage in good faith" and got my NOA in December 06, 2008. All was sent to VSC.

I recieved my letter asking me to come in for an interview May 22nd 2009 for 8am June 10th (today).

I got there around 7:20am and waited for my lawyer who met up with me around 7:45am on the third floor of the Atlanta DO.

Then at 8:10am the immigration officer calls out my name, looks at my lawyer and was like "Oh lord its you again" (Jokingly)

We sat in her office, she confirmed my name, date of birth, address, when we were married, my ex-wife's full name, and her date of birth. She also asked for my phone number which I had given her the old one and then told her I had a new number.

She looked at me and was like "how you goin' give me your old number what if I wanted to call you" and we all laughed.

She then goes "ok, now tell me what happened that lead to y'alls divorce because to be honest I havent even read your 3 page sworn summary.....and in a nutshell please, no details!"

So I tried to narrate as much as possible. Then she looks at me and goes..."Alright what the heck, I'll believe you." Then she stamps my documents and gives me a letter stating my conditions had been lifted.

For the next 10-15 minutes the conversation in her office was about her delayed retirement and how she cant wait to get the "heck outta this place!" (lol) She then told my lawyer "tell your dad I said hello." And I was asking my lawyer about the delay in the production of the cards, which he attested to because of the upgrade in equipment. He now turns to the immigration officer and asked her about this delay issue and her response....."Oh there is a delay? They didnt inform us." We laughed at her.

And that was it. My "actual" interview took less than 10 minutes, the rest was spent on side talk.

To God be the glory because it has been a very rough year in my life.

I say just go in with faith and when your marriage is genuine, there is nothing to fear and always remember....you dont have to memorize the truth.

Hope this helps

Congrats!!

hey ByeHello

Thanks a bunch. Now to face the challenge of getting the actual card. But I hear they have started sending them out now.

I received my approval letter today. Dated 06/12/09. I was waiting for an RFE or interview since I didn't send much stuff at all. I did everything alone without a lawyer. I hope all of you get approved ASAP

Hi - I am new to this forum, so please be patient with me while I learn this.

I am asking this question on behalf of a co-worker going through a possible divorce with I-751 waiver. The CPR has his 2 year card, which expires late summer 2010.

The wife is a USC and things have not been going well between the two of them. She insists on divorce, and then refuses to file it. When he bit her bluff (stating he wanted a divorce), she said she would go find an attorney and take care of the paperwork. Then later on, she decided she didn't want to file for divorce, and that if he wanted to divorce, he would have to do it himself. A few weeks pass and she decides that she will file for divorce after all (because she got "legal advice" from a layman that she needed to protect her assets).

Fast forward a few weeks. Now, the USC wife says the only way she will sign divorce papers is (1) If the CPR purchases a plane ticket back home or (2) the CPR returns back home and she will send the divorce papers for him to sign. She says other than that, she won't do anything for the divorce (hoping to drag it out so that he won't be able to remove conditions, I'll bet).

What concerns me is this afternoon, she showed my friend (the CPR) a one page handwritten letter she wrote basically saying she's known him for X amount of time, that he doesn't speak to her, that he didn't inquire about her health when she was sick, and that he uses a separate phone. She then stated she wanted to return to a "normal life." She then insisted that my friend write and include on that same sheet of paper that "I left the marital home of my own accord, and not because she kicked me out." Her reasoning for this was to protect herself in the event he decides to stay and try to get a green card on his own and "sue her, she would have something to protect herself from." We don't know what she intends to do with this letter - whether to keep it for future ammo or worse, send it to USCIS basically alleging fraud. This was a good faith marriage, but she's now trying to make it so its impossible for him to stay (if she can't have him, nobody in america can either). How worried should my friend be? What will happen if she sends the letter? How can he prevent this? Please, any help would be great.

Triple Citizen -

Fortunately, I am not "my friend" (please see Blistex27 post), but we're co-workers and we share things.

Do you have any advice? Should he be concerned?

Hi guys....

im going to apply for a waiver soon, does having a child make it easier to get approved?
and what are the documents that i need to send with the i 751 form?
Thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

I am going through a very serious dilemma. I got married to a USC in November 2008 when I was 23 and she was 16. We did the court marriage and decided that two years later when we finished her High school we'll do the traditional marriage and move in together. I filed my AOS through her and received my CPR card on 03/25/09. Now things are not the same her whole family has taken a major Uturn they dont like me or my family and neither do we. Although me and herself are in love with each other and want to spend our lives together but her mom is brainwashing her and telling her that I am cheating on her so on and so forth so she would leave me.

My question is since I just received my CPR how tough would it be to get the waiver approved and any suggestions on the additional documents I may need.

Here is a list of documents that I currently have:
1-Pictures from engagement
2-Pictures from reception (Mega reception spent around 10k for it)
3-Pictures from family trips together to different places
4-Pictures from my graduation together
5-My 401k, Life insurance, health insurance, dental and vision insurance including her.
6-Bank Account together.
7-Tax returns from last year showing us both as dependents on my brothers returns as we both didnt work last year.
8-Affidavits from 2 friends that it is a bonafide marriage.
9-Her ID having my address.
10-Mental stress therapy notes from Doctor.
11-Her wedding ring receipts.
12-Various receipts from stores where we bought stuff together.

Here is what I dont have.
1- Auto insurance (she doesnt have a D/L)
2- Her school still has her old address since if we change that she'd have to change her school

Now if her mom convinces her to divorce me do I have enough evidence that I can pursue the case or should I just head home.:confused:

what is the paper work that you need to send in order to apply a I-751 waiver please tell me all the documentation that need to be send..

Thank you guys

Just wanted to let you guys know about my case. I got my divorce waiver approved today after only 2 month without an interview. My application was sent to the CSC. Best of luck to everyone else filing the waiver.

Congratulations!

What was your divorced based on? what did you sent on the 751 waiver application?

How long did your divorced took to be finalized

your process was pretty fast

Thanks. My divorce was based on irreconcilable difference. I filed last September and it became final this March. It could have been faster but I didn't have the greatest lawyer. I sent statements from family and friends (4). Cancelled checks that we both signed on from a joint account. Rental lease and car title. Letters my ex husband sent me while we were dating. Car insurance, photos and a very long personal statement explaining why the marriage fell apart.

Thanks, I also submitted a joint tax return, bank statements and a life insurance form that lists my ex as the beneficiary.