I-485 February 2010 filers

Our interview experience:

We had our interview on 13th May 10:25 AM at San Francisco AOS. We arrived at 10:15 and was called in around 11 AM. We are interviewed by a nice woman. She asked for our IDs and passports. She went over I-485 questions and kept taking notes while we were answering the questions. At the end of it, she asked to sign the stamp on I-485 to confirm the number of notes she has taken on it.

Then she asked us to provide any supporting documents that we have to support our marriage. We gave her our lease docs, bank statements, both of our 401K beneficiary letters, Medical and Dental cards, 2009 tax docs, credit cards and a small album we made for the interview containing photos from various occasions over last 3 years. We carried marriage photo album too which she went over. She made copies of all the cards and returned us the originals.

She didn't bother to ask for our birth certificates or marriage certificate or salary slips or tax documents.

Then came the bummer.

She took out a form which said that our case is assigned for further review because of incomplete I-693. Looks like surgeon we went to, missed out couple of drug related questions on page 3. There are questions pertaining to drug with Class A/B conditions. The surgeon marked it as "NA", where as it has to be marked as "No Class A/B condition". She gave us Form-72 - form for any discrepancies for I-693. She highlighted those questions and told us to go back to the surgeon and get the questions answered properly with initials and date next to it. She was nice to suggest that if we can get the form back to her by post in next couple of days, she will hold onto our file and process it as soon as she gets the document. Officially we had 30 days to get it done.

Only silver lining was she kept the EAD and told us that it will take 30 days to get our green card after she gets corrected I-693. She told my husband that it shouldn't be a problem since he has his H1-B active.

We came out and immediately contacted the surgeon who gave us the appointment right away. In next couple of hours we could go to him and get the I-693 corrected and send it back to AOS via fed-ex overnight. I got a fed-ex confirmation that the document reached AOS.

On 17th May morning, i got an email stating that Card production ordered. It was a big relief.

Thanks to all the folks on this forum who helped us do this by all by ourselves without the attorney.

-JS

How long does it take to receive the actual greencard in the mail these days after the interview? I've heard 3 weeks, though am not sure.

We had the interview on May 13th at SF, 10:25 AM appt also. Arrived at 9:45, security was a breeze and we started waiting from 10:00 AM. Had a long wait, we were finally called in at 11:25 or so. Lady officer was very serious but professional. No smile, no response to my "Hello, How are you doing?". I thought we were in for a tough round, but it was decent.

She went through the i485 form first, asked my spouse basic questions about my name, my DOB, when we got married. Then lots of questions about her travel into and out of the US. She repeatedly asked if my wife was ever out of status. She never was and replied so each time.

Next was my turn. Lots of questions about where and when we got married, how many people attended the wedding (we had a civil wedding). How many people attended our reception. She seemed concerned that neither of our families attended the wedding, but seemed satisfied with my explanation that it was very difficult for them to travel from India.

We had not provided documents about cohabitation or pictures with our original application. She took a look at the wedding album and kept a few photos. She also asked to keep our entire sub-folder of financial statements/cohabitation (joint bank accounts, retirement accounts with the other as beneficiary, lease, utility/phone/internet bill, car insurance and credit card statements); we obviously wouldn't say no.

At the end, she said our case was pending "Further Review" as she had to go through the documents and then render a decision. She said we should have one within 30 days, but hopefully she could approve it soon.

We just noticed the status update a while ago that Card Production had been ordered on the 14th. Whew!!

Still waiting for the EAD card, maybe both will arrive simultaneously :)

We just noticed the status update a while ago that Card Production had been ordered on the 14th. Whew!!
Noticed another status update today saying the Card Production has been ordered on the 18th.

Received approval letter and welcome notice on the 20th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of my parents had their interview in L.A. today, and everything went very well. IO was extremely courteous and friendly, and just went though the paperwork again, step-by-step. My mom's fingerprints turned out to be unreadable even after her second fingerprinting, so we had to dash out and get her police clearance letter, which wasn't a particularly straightforward procedure in LA, but were able to bring it back to the IO the same day, who afterwards gave both parents their respective approval notices. Total success! I'm happy I came with them (had to fly back in for a day from vacation travels in Asia), since IO ended up asking me more questions than I expected. Relieved and happy it's all over...