• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How to correctly fill DSP-122 and DS-230 I & II

samfromnp

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everybody!!

I want to start a thread regarding the forms DSP-122 and DS-230 I & II and how to fill them correctly.

I request everyone to contribute experience so that new members (like me) can benefit. I am reluctant to take help from consultants and lawyers when we have expertise in this very forum.

Background
After you receive the Notification Letter from KCC that you've been selected, you need to prepare and send the following documents back to KCC.
  1. Form DSP-122
    This needs to be completed for only the principle applicant (the person whose name is mentioned in the NL)
  2. Form DS-230 Part I This needs to be completed for the principle applicant and all eligible family members (meaning spouse and all children below 21 years of age)
  3. Form DS-230 Part II Same as Part I but it should not be signed. I believe this is signed infront of the consular at the time of interview.
  4. Bar Code Page This is included in the envelope from KCC along with NL.
  5. 2 Photographs for Each Family Member

Now there can be millions of variations in the types of cases. The forms must be accurate because it will determine your success in the interview. In fact you may never receive the Second Letter.

So, I request everybody to suggest how to fill the forms correctly. i'll post my confusions after this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me start with the most confusing instruction in the forms:

Mark questions that are Not Applicable with "N/A"

Here are the confusing situations:

DSP-122:
#1. If I dont have a middle name, what do I type? "N/A", "None" or leave it blank. If I do have a middle name, do I just write the full spelling or just the first letter (Because the field is marked MI - Middle Initials)?
#6.a In the Other field, do I have to write "N/A", if I have already checked options like "High School Diploma"? I read in one thread that no fields should be left blank.
#6.b If I use up only three rows, what do I do with the rest of the rows? Do I type "N/A" in each field or leave them blank?
#7 If I have the necessary education qualification but not the work experience, I would just check "No" in #7.a. Then, should I type "N/A" in the rest of the fields of #7.b and #7.c?
#SIGNED STATEMENT What color ink should I use to sign the statement?

DS-230 Part I:
#1. If a married women keeps her maiden name after marriage, should she write her husband's surname or her maiden name?
#2. In the same case, if she writes her maiden name in #1, should she write her maiden name again? because the instruction says specifically If married woman, give maiden name. Or instead of repetition, should she just type "N/A" or leave it blank?
#3. It's not possible to type in other than Roman Alphabet in the form. So, do we write with hand? If the native alphabet is Roman itself, then should the field be marked as "N/A" or left blank.
#10. If I have no contacts in the USA right now, should I write "N/A". I read in some posts it is better to type "Not determined yet".
#11. If the answer is same as #10, then what do type here? Should we repeat the answer or type "same as #10"?
#12. If I am presently not employed, what do we write? Is it better to write "Student" to remain safe?
#14-#18. If you are not married, do you leave all the fields blank or fill every field with "N/A"?
#23 and #28. If parents are not deceased, should we type "N/A" or leave it blank?
#29. If you have no children, should I type "N/A" once or fill every row with "N/A"? Similar question for #30, #32 and #33.
#34. If the answer is "No", do I need to type "N/A" for every field?
#35. It says to write "Never" if you have not visited USA even once. Exactly where do we write it? And how? Because we cannot type "Never" in the date fields. It seems logical to write "Never" with pen exactly after the question.

DS-230 Part II:
#39. My understanding is that the petitioner is the principle applicant. So, if the principle applicant is filling the form, then do they have to write their name again? And in what order is it written? First, Middle, Family or Family, First, Middle?
#41 and #42. Do we need to write "N/A" even after checking "No"?
#44 If the answer is "No", do we need to write "N/A" in the field below, or just leave it blank?

This is the first set of confusions. I'll post other confusions soon...

I hope someone can invest some time to explain and answer the questions. I would appreciate it very much.

AOS is Adjustment of Status. This is the process when you're already in the U.S under a visa and want to change the status of the visa into U.S Permanent Resident. AOS is done in the U.S and the interview is conducted with the USCIS.

I put N/A on all questions that were not applicable to avoid confusion.

Ziva,

Your answer is too broad and difficult to implement for newbies like me. Can you explain that by answering my questions point-wise? Or any other person who can do so in detail...

Anyway, thank you for the response.

Hi samfromnp,

I have answered your questions in blue.

Let me start with the most confusing instruction in the forms:

Mark questions that are Not Applicable with "N/A"

Here are the confusing situations:

DSP-122:
#1. If I dont have a middle name, what do I type? "N/A", "None" or leave it blank. If I do have a middle name, do I just write the full spelling or just the first letter (Because the field is marked MI - Middle Initials)? No middle name: Just type your last name, first name (i.e., Wilson, George); Middle name: Type Middle Initials (i.e., example: Wilson, George, M.)
#6.a In the Other field, do I have to write "N/A", if I have already checked options like "High School Diploma"? I read in one thread that no fields should be left blank. Check only one box unless of course "other" applies to you in addition to other degrees you have.
#6.b If I use up only three rows, what do I do with the rest of the rows? Do I type "N/A" in each field or leave them blank? Leave them blank as you have already entered information for that section, or if it bothers you, you can draw a short line across the row after your last completed row.
#7 If I have the necessary education qualification but not the work experience, I would just check "No" in #7.a. Then, should I type "N/A" in the rest of the fields of #7.b and #7.c? Yes (Its OK to write N/A on the first row only).
#SIGNED STATEMENT What color ink should I use to sign the statement? Black

DS-230 Part I:
#1. If a married women keeps her maiden name after marriage, should she write her husband's surname or her maiden name? Write what is on the official documents (such as passport, birth certificate, etc.) If she has legally changed her name after getting these documents then write the legally changed name. If you have no such documents then write what is in your official documents.
#2. In the same case, if she writes her maiden name in #1, should she write her maiden name again? because the instruction says specifically If married woman, give maiden name. Or instead of repetition, should she just type "N/A" or leave it blank? If you have aliases, type them separate each with a comma if more than one and YES type maiden name if married (It specifically asks you to).
#3. It's not possible to type in other than Roman Alphabet in the form. So, do we write with hand? If the native alphabet is Roman itself, then should the field be marked as "N/A" or left blank. Hand write in native language legibly
#10. If I have no contacts in the USA right now, should I write "N/A". I read in some posts it is better to type "Not determined yet". You may indicate it is not determined yet.
#11. If the answer is same as #10, then what do type here? Should we repeat the answer or type "same as #10"? YES (Note: Once in the US, you will be asked by Immigration Officer to provide a US address where you GC will be mailed to you)
#12. If I am presently not employed, what do we write? Is it better to write "Student" to remain safe? Write "Not Currently Employed" #33 is where you can enter your educational details
#14-#18. If you are not married, do you leave all the fields blank or fill every field with "N/A"? "N/A"
#23 and #28. If parents are not deceased, should we type "N/A" or leave it blank? "N/A"
#29. If you have no children, should I type "N/A" once or fill every row with "N/A"? "N/A" once
Similar question for #30: Type your current address, no need to write N/A in the remaining fields, #32: Same (Unless never been employed, write "N/A" once) and #33: Same
#34. If the answer is "No", do I need to type "N/A" for every field? No, it is considered one section
#35. It says to write "Never" if you have not visited USA even once. Exactly where do we write it? And how? Because we cannot type "Never" in the date fields. It seems logical to write "Never" with pen exactly after the question. Write "Never" with a pen legibly on the first row where they can see it.

DS-230 Part II:
#39. My understanding is that the petitioner is the principle applicant. So, if the principle applicant is filling the form, then do they have to write their name again? YES And in what order is it written? First, Middle, Family or Family, First, Middle? You can write in this format: LAST NAME, First Name, MI
#41 and #42. Do we need to write "N/A" even after checking "No"? No, just check the box, it is self-explanatory.
#44 If the answer is "No", do we need to write "N/A" in the field below, or just leave it blank? Again, it is self-explanatory, just check the box "No" but it won't hurt to write "N/A" ( I didn't)

This is the first set of confusions. I'll post other confusions soon...

I hope someone can invest some time to explain and answer the questions. I would appreciate it very much.

Izzy120,

Thank you for your detailed response. I am sure I can fill up my own form without any lawyers help now.

I have some more questions. This time regarding the photographs. I hope you can answer them too.

1. My wife sent me a digital file of her photo from her parents' home. She was not able to come here to have her picture taken along with me. So, now the quality of her photo and mine is clearly distinguishable. What I mean is my photo looks more professional and the lighting is accurate, while her's is not so professional but looks good enough. Another point is that the background is not of the same tone (mine looks a bit bluish, while her's is pure white.) Do you think I should go forward with these photographs? If I need the exact same quality and composition then I'd have to call her back, which would mean quite a bit of money and time.

2. Do we need to write the case number, name etc at the back of the photo? Can I use a black pen?

3. How do I attach the photo to the forms? Is it enough to clip it? Or do I need to stick it with glue or something?

4. How many photographs need to be sent? Some posts say one is enough while government sites are saying two photographs are necessary.

This is all I have in my mind right now. My form is nearly complete now. Only I need to be sure the photographs are correct. I think I am already late to submit the documents.

Thank you again Izzy120. I am looking forward to your response.

By the way, my case number is 2011AS00042xxx.

My answers:

Izzy120,

Thank you for your detailed response. I am sure I can fill up my own form without any lawyers help now.

I have some more questions. This time regarding the photographs. I hope you can answer them too.

1. My wife sent me a digital file of her photo from her parents' home. She was not able to come here to have her picture taken along with me. So, now the quality of her photo and mine is clearly distinguishable. What I mean is my photo looks more professional and the lighting is accurate, while her's is not so professional but looks good enough. Another point is that the background is not of the same tone (mine looks a bit bluish, while her's is pure white.) Do you think I should go forward with these photographs? If I need the exact same quality and composition then I'd have to call her back, which would mean quite a bit of money and time. The specification for photograph requirements are outlined in the DOS website:

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4759.html
(click on where it says "General Photo Requirements")

I am not sure how good your wife's photograph is but it should be clear and the face distinguishable. DOS specifies that the background be white to off-white. I am sure there are photo labs that will process pictures according to US Immigration photo specification. If it means spending a bit more money, I would go ahead and do it the right way (if you are unsure/unsatisfied with your pictures).

2. Do we need to write the case number, name etc at the back of the photo? Can I use a black pen? YES, write case number and full name in the back of each photos with PENCIL.

3. How do I attach the photo to the forms? Is it enough to clip it? Or do I need to stick it with glue or something? There is no space provided for photos on the form, actually the photos are not for the forms. Use a small envelope and mark the envelope "Photographs" with case number. Although not required, you may submit a cover letter indicating the contents and include the envelope with the photos on the list, clip everything together with a paper clip. You may also just clip the photos to the forms with a paperclip but this may damage the photos so I would use a small envelope to protect them. Again, the cover letter is OPTIONAL.

4. How many photographs need to be sent? Some posts say one is enough while government sites are saying two photographs are necessary. DOS website specifies that you submit 2 photos for each person. See it here: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4759.html

This is all I have in my mind right now. My form is nearly complete now. Only I need to be sure the photographs are correct. I think I am already late to submit the documents. Send the forms as soon as you can, but make sure you have completed the forms accurately, you can have someone go over them to ensure accuracy and completeness

Thank you again Izzy120. I am looking forward to your response. You are WELCOME! :D

Izzy120,

1. My wife sent me a digital file of her photo from her parents' home. She was not able to come here to have her picture taken along with me. So, now the quality of her photo and mine is clearly distinguishable. What I mean is my photo looks more professional and the lighting is accurate, while her's is not so professional but looks good enough. Another point is that the background is not of the same tone (mine looks a bit bluish, while her's is pure white.) Do you think I should go forward with these photographs? If I need the exact same quality and composition then I'd have to call her back, which would mean quite a bit of money and time.

2. Do we need to write the case number, name etc at the back of the photo? Can I use a black pen?

3. How do I attach the photo to the forms? Is it enough to clip it? Or do I need to stick it with glue or something?

4. How many photographs need to be sent? Some posts say one is enough while government sites are saying two photographs are necessary.

This is all I have in my mind right now. My form is nearly complete now. Only I need to be sure the photographs are correct. I think I am already late to submit the documents.

Thank you again Izzy120. I am looking forward to your response.

samfromnp,
i second what izzy has said. she's perfect in getting the procedures right!
i only have one thing to add ... both of you should have your pictures taken professionally. over here you can go to any walgreens or cvs or walmart and they will take your photo for you. tell them you want passport photos taken. but if your wife is overseas, she should tell the photographer she needs them for us embassy visa application purposes so that the photographer knows the correct size (2 inch by 2 inch). when she scans them over to you make sure it is at original size and at the highest resolution ... clearer and sharper when you print them.

Thank you Izzy120 and leongsce,

I am really thankful to both of you... I hope this information will come to use for everybody.

I have some more questions to ask to both of you.

1. Should I write a cover letter? Do you have a format I could use?
2. Do I need to write my Case Number in the forms? I read in one thread that I should, but I cannot find that thread now.
3. I will send the forms tomorrow. Is it late?
4. Is there anything else I need to keep in mind? For example, do I place the sticker on the envelope? Which courier should I use: DHL, Fedex etc?
5. Will KCC send me email when they receive my documents? Or do I have to email/call them myself?

Hope to get your response soon.

Thanks again for all the help.

Answers in bold again:

Thank you Izzy120 and leongsce,

I am really thankful to both of you... I hope this information will come to use for everybody.

I have some more questions to ask to both of you.

1. Should I write a cover letter? Do you have a format I could use? Like I said above, it is OPTIONAL, not everyone sends it, I just like to include one just as a reminder to myself for what all documents I included with my package. If you do decide to use it, keep it short and just indicate all the documents you included with your package (number them of course).
2. Do I need to write my Case Number in the forms? I read in one thread that I should, but I cannot find that thread now. You may write your case number and full name on the top right hand corner of every document you send to KCC (in case they misplace it). DSP 122 already has your case number on it, so you may write on the DS 230s and other documents, if you prefer.
3. I will send the forms tomorrow. Is it late? I am not sure if there is a deadline for sending in the forms, but you should send it ASAP.
4. Is there anything else I need to keep in mind? For example, do I place the sticker on the envelope? Which courier should I use: DHL, Fedex etc? Any form of shipment that is secure and reliable, I would ask for tracking service so you know for sure if they got it, but thats just me.
5. Will KCC send me email when they receive my documents? Or do I have to email/call them myself? No, they will not confirm when they get your forms. You may call/e-mail KCC after some time to confirm they have received your forms. Make sure you include your case number, full name and DOB when you call/e-mail them, or else, they won't answer any of your questions.

Hope to get your response soon.

Thanks again for all the help.

Hi Izzy120,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I'll probably send the documents tomorrow.

In the mean time, is there anything else besides wait, before the second letter comes?

Cheers!!!

Hi guys,

I just realized that in DSP-122 in question 6a I have checked University degree, but to graduate I'll have to take one more exam in January.
In 6b tho I've written University of XXX from 2007 to present. Is this ok? Will it be a problem at the interview?

I have my interview next week and I'm so afraid this maybe result in a denial of the GC.

Please, please tell me what do you think...

Thanksss

Hi guys,

I just realized that in DSP-122 in question 6a I have checked University degree, but to graduate I'll have to take one more exam in January.
In 6b tho I've written University of XXX from 2007 to present. Is this ok? Will it be a problem at the interview?

I have my interview next week and I'm so afraid this maybe result in a denial of the GC.

Please, please tell me what do you think...

Thanksss

I dön't think this' a problem. I presume you get a letter from the school that shows that you're a student and will complete soon. I believe you have shs certificate. If u have, there's no problem. Peace! Benniit

Bennit I do have the certificate where it's shown that I have one exam left.

Thank you so much for your reply.

best wishes and regards

in item 33, do we have to translate the type of the educational institutions in our native language to highschool / elementary / university .. ?

how far do we have to list all the visits to the us in item 35

How are you guys dealing with:

DS-0230 Q 35. I haven't enough room. Do I simply begin with "See Addendum" and attach one, or do I fill in the last 2, and on the 3rd note the Addendum?

And

Q33 - Course of Study for High school is? And if outside the US, how do I designate GCE/VCE A-Levels (UK exams)..simply by stating High School Diploma? (even though it's technically not)

Trying to get these sent out tomorrow!!