How long from Recommended Approval to Approval Notice?

boncorne

Registered Users (C)
Hello folks, thanks goodness for this forum... I have a question. I received my Recommended Approval about about a month and a half after my interview. It's been a month now after that and I am starting to wonder how long is this final Aproval Notice going to take? Anybody has any experience with the time frame here? Is FBI sleeping out there, why so slow? :confused:
Thank you all in advance!

T

Final approval does not take a long time after the initial recommended approval. From what I know it took me about 2-3 months (Recommended approval : Sep 97 Final Approval : Dec 97)

some other folks that I am aware of was also approximately same amount of time. For you in the mean time just be patient, final approval will arrive soon as in my personal opinion as long as finger print results are fine and there is no criminal background or association for the applicant then final approval is more like routine.

Best of luck ...

Originally posted by boncorne
Hello folks, thanks goodness for this forum... I have a question. I received my Recommended Approval about about a month and a half after my interview. It's been a month now after that and I am starting to wonder how long is this final Aproval Notice going to take? Anybody has any experience with the time frame here? Is FBI sleeping out there, why so slow? :confused:
Thank you all in advance!

T

It does not matter when you will get your final approval. I think you are eligible to apply for your I-485 exactly a year after the date of your recommended approval (gilbert help me here if i am wrong). Hope the government does not appeal your case though. That would be a bummer.

Thanks soooo much for all of your replies. You people are great here!
Wow I didn't know the government CAN appeal your case. How in the world is that possible? Aren't they just doing a background check?
I realize I can apply for EAD but unfortunately that is not enough to get the license of an assosciation that I'd like to be in. They need THE Approval Notice.
Thanks again.

Congratulations on passing the interview.

Regretably, you CANNOT apply for LPR status until one year after your FORMAL APPROVAL. A RECOMMENDED APPROVAL does not count at all. Until the approval notice is finally issued, you are still an asylum applicant.

Since you are processed by the BCIS, not the EOIR, there is NO possible appeal by the government. You will be fine as long as you pass the background.

It can take anywhere from 1 month to one year for your background to clear. You just cannot tell.

Good luck.

Gilbert thanks for your note. What is an LPR status?
You sure scare me when you say it may take up to a year to be cleared by FBI, ouch!
I would like to get my California real estate license but to as a proof of legal residence I need the Approval Notice, I don't believe recommended approval + EAD is sufficient.

Thanks.

One year after getting FINAL asylum, you can apply for your green card.

But by law only 10000 such green cards are issued every year. Due to the record number of persons granted asylum in the past few years, the projected wait for a green card is more than 10 years (I am serious).

Last edited by a moderator:
:eek: That's just wonderful isn't it? Looks like to "Welcome to America" sign is so far away we can't even see it :)
Lets hope this situation will improve and the Congress will pas a new quota, otherwise I might turn around and go back to my country, cause the treatment back there is not so much different from the USA. Joking of course. Appreciate your advice here, sure helps to put things into a perspective. God I hope FBI clears me fast, you scared me with that one year note!
Regards.

The BICS is the least efficent agency in the federal government, as you probably know.

In too many cases fingerprint paperwork just disappear without a trace as they move from a BCIS office to another.

So if you have not heard from the asylum office after three months or so, be proactive and call them.

Alright, I'll inquire about that in a couple of weeks. So while we're talking about this approval process, does anybody know why some people (like my friend) get their Approval Notice in two weeks after the interview, and in my case only a Recommended Approval a month and a half after the interview. My friend and I are both from the same country - the only difference is that he had been here 4 months before he applied for asylum, and I've been here for three years now. I'm just trying to find some logic here which I probably shouldn't do :)

Regards

According to my understanding for Asylum it is preferred that if you apply for it within one year once you arrive to USA. If you do not do so then it may be little bit more work to justify that you indeed qualify to be granted asylum. The difference that I see here is that your friend applied within one year and you applied after one year. Since you were asking for the difference between your case and your friend that is why I am speculating on difference rate of progress. It is as I said only a "SPECULATION".

Regards

When were you and your friend fingerprinted respectively?

In general, they will issue a final grant if the applicant's fingerprint result is current (less than 15 months old).

If no current result is on file, they have to issue a recommended approval--that is the law.

I guess you did not go to an actual asylum office for the interview, but a different BCIS office?

RAsylee:
Well, you're a right about the one year requirement. However, the law doesn't stipulate that one's eligible to apply only during the first year of the first visit, it only says - within one year after the last entry into the states. I applied a couple of months after my last entry and didn't have a problem with that. The only problem right now is the slow work by FBI.

Gilbert:
My friend and I were fingerprinted within the difference of 2 weeks, sometime in March 2003.
Well I did go to the asylum office in San Francisco. Is there a difference in response from different offices?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the interview, did they tell you to return in two weeks or so for the officer's decision? If not, what did they tell you?

Yep, at the end of the interview I was told to come for an answer in two weeks. After I did INS told my answer wasn't ready yet and to come back in a month. So in a month I submitted the status inquiry form and received the Rec. App. in a couple of days (5/27/03). Have not heard from them since. My buddy here, got his answer two weeks after the interview - the day INS told him to come back for an answer.

The standard policy is for applicants to go back to the asylum office in two weeks for an up-or-down decision. The main reason for this is to prevent unsuccessful applicants from claiming they are never informed about their rejections.

Your case almost certainly presented unusual issues. Perhaps they have even sent your file to BCIS central office in DC for a review.

But the point is they granted you finally. Just wait for the background check and do not worry about the rest.