How best to reach and help people

Rajiv S. Khanna

HOST, Immigration.Com
Staff member
I am little dissatisfied with the conference call format. I do not think it reaches enough people. I continue answering a lot of repeat questions.

Here is another question for you all.

What is the best way to reach the most people? I think, instead of conference calls, my time would be better spent just picking up "burning" issues from the forums and commenting about them in my blog or in a sticky thread or FAQ within the forum.

FAQs are definitely very helpful, I like them, but sometimes we have a "what if..." to a faq, so maybe we could submit questions referecend to a certain # of the FAQ and include these additional responses to the FAQs... just my thoughts

Regards

FAQs are definitely very helpful, I like them, but sometimes we have a "what if..." to a faq, so maybe we could submit questions referecend to a certain # of the FAQ and include these additional responses to the FAQs... just my thoughts

Regards

OK. I think what we need is a blog with threaded comments. Let me see.

Definitely updateable FAQ or sticky is more helpful. Also, how about rating system for questions/answers? It may be helpful in determining the most popular questions and answers.

Templates for various documents/letters etc

Quite often people are looking for a sample AC21 letter, letter of intent to sue(this may be not too often ;-) ), respond to an RFE, cover letter for Inter filing etc. It would be nice to have these kind of templates grouped in one place. May be in a new blog??

Burning Issues

Who is going to decide what is a burning issue? May be we should start a sticky thread where people can post what they think is the burning question then a volunteer moderator can pick and submit them for final inclusion in the master "burning issue list". Taking the liberty to include some of them here:
Some issues are all-time favorites (in no particular order):
  1. AC21
  2. CP vs AOS
  3. RFEs
  4. Imm./Non-Imm. Visa Interviews
  5. Work or not work for sponsoring employer Post GC-approval
  6. Issues and options post I-485 denial
  7. H1 related status maintenance issues
  8. Real life accounts of different going through various immigration related procedures. For example, applying for AOS, suing the Govt., etc
  9. EAD vs H1
    The list can go on..but you get the idea. Thanks so much for your support to this forum.
I think, instead of conference calls, my time would be better spent just picking up "burning" issues from the forums and commenting about them in my blog or in a sticky thread or FAQ within the forum.

Transcription of past conference calls

This is probably more ambitious but it would be very useful to search past responses and can become sort of a legal knowledge base. In audio format, it's not very efficient to look for your response on a given subject. I had suggested this earlier and you had agreed but no definite action was taken. May be allow original poster to add a reply to the question after the conference call is over? Currently once a conference call is over, the thread is closed for further posting.

Quite often people are looking for a sample AC21 letter, letter of intent to sue(this may be not too often ;-) ), respond to an RFE, cover letter for Inter filing etc. It would be nice to have these kind of templates grouped in one place. May be in a new blog??

As lawyers, we cannot do that. All sort of legal and ethical issues. But you folks as members of public can.

Who is going to decide what is a burning issue? May be we should start a sticky thread where people can post what they think is the burning question then a volunteer moderator can pick and submit them for final inclusion in the master "burning issue list". Taking the liberty to include some of them here:
Some issues are all-time favorites (in no particular order):
  1. AC21
  2. CP vs AOS
  3. RFEs
  4. Imm./Non-Imm. Visa Interviews
  5. Work or not work for sponsoring employer Post GC-approval
  6. Issues and options post I-485 denial
  7. H1 related status maintenance issues
  8. Real life accounts of different going through various immigration related procedures. For example, applying for AOS, suing the Govt., etc
  9. EAD vs H1
    The list can go on..but you get the idea. Thanks so much for your support to this forum.

:) I get the idea. I pretty much know what the burning issues are. I deal with them all day. But of course, your input can always point things I might miss.

This is probably more ambitious but it would be very useful to search past responses and can become sort of a legal knowledge base. In audio format, it's not very efficient to look for your response on a given subject. I had suggested this earlier and you had agreed but no definite action was taken. May be allow original poster to add a reply to the question after the conference call is over? Currently once a conference call is over, the thread is closed for further posting.

I have something in mind. Let me check with our techies. You may see something like that coming up in a month or so.

Fair enough. Could you provide a forum or blog or whatever you feel appropriate in this vain so members could share their templates?
As lawyers, we cannot do that. All sort of legal and ethical issues. But you folks as members of public can.

Fair enough. Could you provide a forum or blog or whatever you feel appropriate in this vain so members could share their templates?

Yes. We will start another drive for volunteers. Assign one or two forums to each person. Then let them stick the template threads. What do you think?

Maybe I'm just cynical, but it honestly doesn't surprise me that you keep having to deal with the same issues during conference calls. Questions posted to the forums are nearly always variants of the same theme, and unfortunately most people don't spend even 2 minutes searching for the previous answers.

A prominent and easily searchable series of answers to FAQs would be nice, and at least that way we can easily respond to the same old questions with links to accurate answers.

Dear Mr. Rajeev,

Can you address the issue of 3 years foreign BS degree against 4 years US BS degree equilency for I-140 ? It is burning issue.

I hope you are working with AILA on this particular issue for EB-3 cases.
Many candidates are suffering on this problem ? We are expecting your help in this problem.

GOD bless you.

Ramkrishnan

Thanks

Maybe I'm just cynical, but it honestly doesn't surprise me that you keep having to deal with the same issues during conference calls. Questions posted to the forums are nearly always variants of the same theme, and unfortunately most people don't spend even 2 minutes searching for the previous answers.

A prominent and easily searchable series of answers to FAQs would be nice, and at least that way we can easily respond to the same old questions with links to accurate answers.

Yes. I think you are absolutely right. Working on it.

Dear Mr. Rajeev,

Can you address the issue of 3 years foreign BS degree against 4 years US BS degree equilency for I-140 ? It is burning issue.

I hope you are working with AILA on this particular issue for EB-3 cases.
Many candidates are suffering on this problem ? We are expecting your help in this problem.

GOD bless you.

Ramkrishnan

I am not doing anything other than monitoring all the new cases that come up and observing a little relaxation by CIS. I think their position is highly unreasonable, but that is what we have. I am not sure I would know how to work with AILA. My earlier attempts were not very successful, so my inclination is to rely upon our own resources.

Dear Rajiv

A portion of your conference call could be devoted to buring issues.
People can post any question they want; however, volunteers could be assigned to redirect repeat questioners to FAQs where the question has been already addressed.
Finally, the new questions would be answered by you either in the forum or in a podcast. This should work.

Regarding conference call, I do not know how many people attend such calls; I tend to listen to the recording later. I would love to have questions answered online instead. This way, you are also reaching people in multiple time zones.
best wishes.
I am little dissatisfied with the conference call format. I do not think it reaches enough people. I continue answering a lot of repeat questions.

Here is another question for you all.

What is the best way to reach the most people? I think, instead of conference calls, my time would be better spent just picking up "burning" issues from the forums and commenting about them in my blog or in a sticky thread or FAQ within the forum.

Dear Rajiv

A portion of your conference call could be devoted to buring issues.
People can post any question they want; however, volunteers could be assigned to redirect repeat questioners to FAQs where the question has been already addressed.
Finally, the new questions would be answered by you either in the forum or in a podcast. This should work.

Regarding conference call, I do not know how many people attend such calls; I tend to listen to the recording later. I would love to have questions answered online instead. This way, you are also reaching people in multiple time zones.
best wishes.

OK. You have confirmed what I think is the better way to go. Expect some changes by the end of August. But please keep your input going.