H1B Visa stamp in Pakistan, Latest situation

I talked to Stat Dept. last week and they told me that Us Embassy Islamabad sent them wron information on 23rd Dec. 2005 and after that they put my case in Pending. I called Embassy in Islamabad, but they told me they've sent correct information and they r still waiting on their response.
I called State Dept. again this week and inform them what Embassy told me. So, Visa officer supervisor sent an request for correct info. from ISB US Embassy, but still after 1 week ISB Embassy didn't recived this request from State Dept.
I am totally confused here and don't know what should I do. Both the offices are waiting on each other response and doing nothing on my case. But, I will never give up and keep calling them until they clear my case.
If anyone of you has the same case please share.
Thank You.

imqwer said:
Just for the sake for all interested ...

If your name check / clearance does not get done in 2-3 months then you are done. 2-3 months means that you are cleared through computer without much human intervention. Normally it happens for names which are relatively less common. But if you have common names like Muhammad, Ali, Khan etc. then you cannot get cleared by the computer. Your case will go for manual check by some FBI person. They have so many cases in the line and so much fewer resources for this job which is their lowest priority job. If you are lucky then it may take 8-10 months; otherwise 2-3 years.

There is no use calling them. Cases can be expedited by the client of FBI only, in this case consulate. So, try to find some 'sifarish' in the consulate.

Is 'Khan' a common name for terrorists? I personally can't recall that many Khans, but then again, I really don't know that much about terrorists' names, except for Usman, Osama and a few other Arabic ones. So, how common is Khan on the terrorist list? And does the namecheck depend on the common-ness of the name itself (Khan IS a VERY common name, I know) or just on how many terrorists there are with that name??

H-4 for wife from Paksitan or Canada?

I am on H-1B In USA. My wife travelled from Pakistan on visit visa and we got marreid in usa 2 years ago. Now she wants to go back to pakistan to see her paretns. My parents live in Canada,,
what are the chances she will get the visa in Pakitsan?
how long it will take her to get visa?
will there be a problem that she travelled on visit visa and got married here in usa?
If she try from Canada what are the chances there?
Any body in same boat?
Thanks

Finally I got my Visa Stamped

Finally i got my visa stamped after 16 months. Those who are waiting be patient inshaAllah u will also get ur visas stamped soon.

The details of my visa processing are as follows:

Interview Date: May 12, 2005
Embassy ask for Full Finger Prints: May 13, 2005
Went to Embassy for Full Finger Prints: May 16, 2005
Call from Embassy (I was unable to attend the phone): October 25, 2005
Embassy ask for Local Police Certificate: November 29, 2005
Send Police Certifcate to Embassy: December 05, 2005
Long Long Wait.................................
Visa Stamped on: September 12, 2006
Received Visa on: September 15, 2006

H1B visa stamp from Islamabad Pakistan - 2004 and 2006 experiences

My Year 2004's Pakistan Visit Experience:
Applied for my H1B stamp
======================================================
1. I came to Pakistan in June 15, 2004 with I-797 H1B approval notice
2. Applied for US visa stamp within a week or two
3. Got my passport back with interview req. after 2 weeks of application
4. Went the following day and showed them the following documents
a. I-797 H1B approval notice
b. Job Letter
c. Two recent paystubs
5. I was asked briefly about my job duties and was told that I'll get my passport back after security clearance
6. Got my US visa stamped on August 13th

Total processing time = one and a half month

Documents required for application were:
1. DS-156 (Fillable online with barcode from State Dept. website)
2. DS-157 (PDF fillable)
3. DS-158 (PDF fillable)
4. Parent's Info form (Hard to find online, but available at a third party site)
5. 2 x 2 size white / offwhite background passport sized photo

=================================================
I travelled in December 2004 for two weeks to get married and my wife had already applied for H4 visa, and she got it stamped after showing my I-797 form, my passport and visa copies and marriage photographs in October 2004
===================================================

Recent Travel:
=====================================================
My Year 2006's Pakistan visit experience:
Applying for my H1B stamp + my wife's H4 stamp
=====================================================
1. I came here in Pakistan on Oct 18, 2006 with my I-797 H1-B approval
2. Applied with all the aforementioned forms and Rs. 6,600 application fee
3. Applied via AMEX Travel Services on Oct 20, 2006
4. AMEX told me that due to Eid, US embassy will get my papers after a week and after a week, I'll get my passport back and will be told if interview is required.
5. Got the passports (my wife's and mine) back from AMEX on October 29th and interview date is given on November 9, 2006
6. Went for interview, took four hours from Paking lot to interviewing window and took less than 5 minutes for the interview. We chose English as a mode of communication during interview. The councelor asked questions from both my wife and I, some of them that I remember are the following:

a. What is my job function
b. How long have I been working
c. Does my wife work or no
d. When did I visit USA last time
e. Saw our marriage certificate (I already had it in English along with attestation from US State Department)
f. Saw original I-797 notice of action forms
g. Told us that we both got the visa, my wife will get her passport in a week, and I'll get mine in two weeks or three.

7. Got my wife's passport along with US visa stamp on Nov 14, 2006
8. Got my passport along with US visa stamp on Nov 30, 2006
a. Clearance recieved on Nov 27, 2006 (11th business days of interview)
b. Visa issued on Nov 29, 2006 (13th business day of interivew)
c. AMEX got the passport on Nov 30, 2006 in their 3:30pm mail

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prepare all the forms prior to your travel and submit them the same day as you arrive in Pakistan and give yourself a month. That was my experience.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best of luck to all of you

Last edited by a moderator:
relevant info with your cases

Could each of you also mention your marital status when writing about your case status? I think this has some impact on how soon one gets the security clearance. Also, if you applied with your spouse (on H-4) for the stamp or on your own?

I went to Pakistan in January 2006 to renew my H1B stamp. My passport was about to expire, so first I applied for passport and got a new biometric passport. I went there for marriage, so was very busy in it. After the marriage I applied for H1 and H4 at the same time in February 2006. There wasn’t any interview date for H1 visa in Islamabad. We went to Islamabad for interview on February 23rd 2006. The interviewer asked couple of routine questions to me and just asked two question to my wife, which I replied. First question was, can she speak English? I replied “No”. Second question Has she ever be in USA before? I replied “No”. That’s the only questions she (interviewer) asked about my wife.

She (interviewer) asked me the following thing, approved I-979 (Notice of action), Marriage certificate (both in Urdu as well as translated in English) and Offer letter from the employer with salary on it. That’s all she asked to me, not a single pay stub, company profile, Tax return, W2, marriage photographs nothing.

Then she said to me your application has been approved, but there is some administrative process and it may take 4 weeks. You will get your passport in 4 weeks. After that she further added, actually you may get it in 2 weeks, but usually we said 4 weeks to all the applicants.

To my surprise I got the security clearance in just 5 days on Feb 28th 2006 (This date was written on the visa stamp on my passport that security clearance received on Feb 28th 2006). I got my passport back literally within 10 calendar days.

Here is some more info about the cases. I don’t know weather any one of this will make any change in the security clearance process or not.

I got my first H1B after the 9/11. I don’t know this may create any difference or not, but few of my friends said that they have already did security clearance on you when you applied the first time.

My wife didn’t change her last name, and she is still using her father name in her passport, H4 visa and medical insurance. Therefore it is not necessary to change the wife last name before applying for a H4 visa.

Both I and my wife had biometric passport.

I was (and am) never be out of status in the USA for a single day (for a single second )

I had a return ticked with me of April 2006 (Yes I was on long unpaid vacations) and at the visa application form, I wrote that I want to come to USA on April 5th 2006 (Date of my return ticket).

I had already applied for Labor Certificate 11 months ago (Applied for Labor on March 2005 using pre PERM process).

Question on DS-158

I have sent my wife for H4 visa stamping to Islamabad. We both came to US on F-1 5 years ago and then transfer it to H1 and H4 respectively. I have a question on filling out DS-158. In that we have to fill out two contacts from the country of residence... will it be from Pak or USA ? I am confused. Please let me know if possible. Thanks in Advance !!

On Form DS-158, the two contacts would be the contacts at the country where you'll be applying for the visa, not where you currently live.

In year 2004, I had entered two contacts from both countries (USA and Pakistan) and I was told to enter only two contacts from Pakistan. I got the visa both from my wife and myself.

In Year 2006 (Nov 2006), I entered only two contacts from Pakistan. My wife and my interview date was Nov 9, 2006. We both got the visa, my wife got the passport on Nov 14, 2006 where my passport will be at AMEX within a week or two.

maqali said:
I have sent my wife for H4 visa stamping to Islamabad. We both came to US on F-1 5 years ago and then transfer it to H1 and H4 respectively. I have a question on filling out DS-158. In that we have to fill out two contacts from the country of residence... will it be from Pak or USA ? I am confused. Please let me know if possible. Thanks in Advance !!

Some more details please!

Can you please add soem more details to your post? I am going to Pak. but have advance parole which allows you to travel to US without a visa but I want to get H1 stamped over there so I enter US using H1 to maintain H1 status untill my pending 485 gets approved.

How long does it take to get the appointment through AMEX?
What are your details in terms of edcuation was from Pak? Did you get any other visa from Pak.?

Was it a 7th year extension?
What did they ask for in terms of supporting docs?
Do they return the passport if background check is required? I know you got your visa stamped, but do you know anyone who had to go through security check etc?

Please provide all the details because it is hard to find info online about H1 stamping in Pak.

Best regards,
Jeff

ranajee said:
On Form DS-158, the two contacts would be the contacts at the country where you'll be applying for the visa, not where you currently live.

In year 2004, I had entered two contacts from both countries (USA and Pakistan) and I was told to enter only two contacts from Pakistan. I got the visa both from my wife and myself.

In Year 2006 (Nov 2006), I entered only two contacts from Pakistan. My wife and my interview date was Nov 9, 2006. We both got the visa, my wife got the passport on Nov 14, 2006 where my passport will be at AMEX within a week or two.

I got my H-1 B visa stamp from Islamabad in 5 days. I had a 30 second interview, was given a coupon and told to collect passport from Amex Lahore in 5 days. Having gone through the process I think who interviews you on that given day makes a big difference.

jefkorn:
About 2-3 weeks; I had sent my application on October 2 and was given the interview date of October 18.

Do they return the passport if background check is required?
If you get subjected to the security clearance, they will keep your passport unless you ask them to return it. Even if you leave it with them at the time of interview, you can call them later and they will return it.

For more details about my experience, please see this discussion:
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=229791

gustoman:
I think you were lucky that your name did not match with any name on their list. What I have read, is that their system is automated. With a name hit, VO can not even print visa unless there is a clearance. If you don't mind, may I know what your name is?

Yes H1 Doc

hello guys and gals...i agree this is all luck..it totally depends upon the circumstances....i ahve been waiting for a long time for my visa lets see wat happens.....

H1 since wen are u waiting..??

haha123, Could you share some more details about your case? what is the Long time? What were you told during the interview? have a common name or work in a field that comes under "Technical Alert list"?
Also, share experirences of other people you might know. Specially some good cases brothers :)

With Advance parole, you can come back without a visa, but I'll answer your questions to the best of my knoweledge.

If you get all paper work (applications, DS-156, DS-157, DS-158 and parent's information) submitted to AMEX along with your application fee, two passport sized (2x2) pictures and application fee (Rs. 6000 and Rs. 600). AMEX will submit your application the next day to embassy and you'll get your passport back within a week.

On getting your passport from AMEX, they'll give you an interview date not more than 10 days from the date they'll give your passport back.

Go for the interview, if they'll decide to give you visa, they'll keep your passport and will ask you to contact AMEX. Usually won't take more than 15 business days to get your passport back.

Questions they asked were:
1. What do I do at work and explain my work
2. When did I visit USA last time

They did not ask for any additional document. For safe side, I had my two recent paystubs, job letter from the company and my degrees with me.

I did my BE Electrical Engg from Pakistan
MS Info Systems from USA
MS Telecommunications from USA
It was not my 7th year H1B extention
I did not get any other visa from Pakistan, I got UK, Canada and Bahrain visa from USA and my passport is issued from Pakistan embassy in DC

Any more questions, please let me know

Take care and best of luck

jefkorn said:
Can you please add soem more details to your post? I am going to Pak. but have advance parole which allows you to travel to US without a visa but I want to get H1 stamped over there so I enter US using H1 to maintain H1 status untill my pending 485 gets approved.

What are your details in terms of edcuation was from Pak? Did you get any other visa from Pak.?

Was it a 7th year extension?
What did they ask for in terms of supporting docs?
Do they return the passport if background check is required? I know you got your visa stamped, but do you know anyone who had to go through security check etc?

Please provide all the details because it is hard to find info online about H1 stamping in Pak.

Best regards,
Jeff

Waiting over 2 years for Security Clearence

My name is Syed Kamran Ahmed and I am wiaiting on my H-1B VISA stamp since 29 Sept 2004. My wife's H-4 VISA got approved on 10 Aug 2006 but still I am waiting.
I called DOS so many times but they keep answering me the same that they are looking into this case.
I don't know what to do, US Embassy Islamabad are also waiting on DOS clearence and they can't do anything regarding my case.
If anyone has any comment or help on my case do let me know.
Thank You.

Sorry to hear that

You should call the FBI division that does security clearance. On one of these websites like this, i saw a telephone number posted for them, try the FBI Public Helpline 1800-xxx-xxxx something - just pointers to help open up your mind.

FBI is not the only agency that provides clearance. There are hundreds of other agencies which are not listed on any websites. FBI handles only certain number of cases and usually the background clearnace for overseas nationals is usally handled by other agencies and they have direct links to Pakistani intelligence and police.

If you are a returning visitor, chances are you might get your clearance from FBI.

If I were you, I'd rather go to AMEX office and try some links rather than calling the FBI.

If you have been waiting for your visa since 2004, are you sure that your company in the USA still maintains your job.

Best of luck.

Atlzbest26 said:
Sorry to hear that

You should call the FBI division that does security clearance. On one of these websites like this, i saw a telephone number posted for them, try the FBI Public Helpline 1800-xxx-xxxx something - just pointers to help open up your mind.

US Dept. of State Email address for Pakistani Non Immigrant Visa Seekers

For those of who who are waiting for their non-immigrant visas, I would recommend to email at the following address. They usually respond you back in 5 or 6 days.

Pakistan Non Immigrant Visa Info Email Query:
PakNIVInfo@state.gov

You'll get a response back from the following email address:
PakNIVInfo2@state.gov

Best of luck to all. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No use of any effort

Guyz, no matter whatever we say (like call DOS, Embassy or FBI), these American will their security clearence on their time, their govt. process not much differ than our govt. Whenever I called DOS they say same stuff and I think they themseleves don't know what should they do to expadiate this process. Sooner or later thay have to give up this process like they did with Special Registration program after 9/11.
We should keep our Emman strong, that whatever Allah is doing must be for our good. USA is not heaven, and I'm sure it be worst than hell after sometime. Now after 30 months of wiaiting for security clearence I understand that whatever US project regarding their technology is bogus and I don't want to live my life in a country that don't know where they are going.
By the way good luck to those who r still waiting for their stamps.
I know some people don't like my comments but if you give it deep thought u'll have the same comments. Allah Hafiz.