H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

kavipura said:
I am sure, your posting will be useful for lot of people.

Last few questions:-

o Do you mind sharing, how much experience your wife was having before applying for h1-b. Did she work in US before on some other visa?.

o Did your wife also did MS in US?.

Our case is bit different than yours. My wife's I-797 approval doesn't have I-94 attached and She didn't have experience from US before neither she did her MS here ....

My wife had some experience in India and she started working here in US from Oct 2006.
She did not have US degree.

I am not sure of the case with out I-94. My suggestion is check with an Immigration attorny before you make your arrangements, if your wife can attend US consulate in Canada (other than home country) with an I-797 having no I-94, and is status legal in US with out I-94.

I hope this helps!

lynchbaby said:
Another question,if I am waiting to apply for 485 because of retrogression.In that case should my spouse answer as YES or NO in the the field on the DS-156 asking "Has anyone filed an immigration petition for you? "

lynchbaby,
I am not sure, as I didn't go that far. but my guess would be 'NO' as I-140 is for primary applicant only.

Hotels in Vancouver Canada..

Hello,

Can any one please suggest a hotel with good internet service in Vancouver? I have an appointment coming up on feb 4th, and would like to be prepared to work from Vancouver, Canada, if I have to stay back from there if I have any issues getting the visa.

Regards
Soujanya.

can anyone tell me around what time each day these time slots for appointments open? I am trying to get appts for Toronto or Montreal

Documents for Canadian visa by post.

Hi,
I have my visa appointment booked and need to get a canadian visa now.
Can someone who has done this in the past let me know if they included the following in the documents mailed to canadian consulate?

- Hotel reservations
- Flight tickets
- I94 (or H1B approval if I94 expired)? Or a copy?

Regards,
subaru

Samia, did you receive your H1B?

Hi,

Samia, so did you recieve your H1B? I applied for visa at Vancouver and I am stuck waiting for visa issuance under administrative processing, as my job falls under TAL. They told me that they have to go through a clearance procedure called Mantis. Does anyone know how long this might take?

Thanks.

samia said:
I am stuck in administrative processing since Dec 18 in Vancouver. I have a 1 year multiple entry Canadian visa that is valid till Nov 2007. But I assume I can stay only for 6 months right at a given stretch?

The canadian visa officer had put a stamp 16 JN 2007 which I assume is June and maybe that makes it 6 months since I entered the country on Dec 16, 2006.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ottawa appointment avlb for Feb. 7th

I have an appointment scheduled for Feb 7th Wed which I will not be using. If anyone needs to schedule an appointment desperately, send me a message and I'll release it for you.

I went thro TAL/Mantis check. It takes about 6 weeks...
canjazz said:
Hi,

Samia, so did you recieve your H1B? I applied for visa at Vancouver and I am stuck waiting for visa issuance under administrative processing, as my job falls under TAL. They told me that they have to go through a clearance procedure called Mantis. Does anyone know how long this might take?

Thanks.

to ela6

Hello ela6,

Thanks for posting the reply. Where did you apply for a visa, I mean which post, and what time of the year did you apply in. I have heard that it depends on the time too (Say in March - August there is a heavy rush, and hence a little longer delay). Also, if it possible can you let us know what TAL background you were in?

Thanks!

Do Canadian Citizen need Visa stamp on passport for H1-B?

I am on TN status now and my company is starting my process to get H1-B so that they can apply for my GC shortly after. I am wondering do i need to get VISA stamp on my Canadian passport once i get my H1-B approved.

Thanks

immiadvice said:
Hello Folks;
I successfully got my H1 (& H4 stamp) in Ottawa on March 8.
This was my third H1 stamp (second for the same employer)
It went very smooth...hardly 5 min interview...
Please note that bar coded DS156 is a must...i had filed my online but for my wife I had to fill in the consulate...for they did not accepted hand-filled form...there were 4 people ahead of me waiting for the computer...so it took 1 hour before I was able to pay the fees...after paying the fess in about 10 min I was called to submit the documents...the lady was very couteous and documents asked were:
H1/H4 approvals
passports
DS156 & DS157 forms
finger printing (both for myself & my wife)
status in Canada ( I had landed 2 days before)
submitted all my papers...after that in about 8 min I was called for the interview....the officer was very cool and had god sense of humour.....following questions....

1. where do you work?
2. what does the company do?
3. how long you have been working?
4. employer letter
5. pay stub

got the passport back at 3 pm. there were about 3 other Indians who also got their visa issued.
There were about 5 other people (I am not sure for what visa) but were from Pakistan and were submitted for security clearance and asked to come back in 3 weeks...

Thank you very much to all who helped me out...this is very useful forum...I will be more than haapy to answer any questions....
what is your status in Canada ? Citizen, PR or visitor visa ?

I am in process of converting my TN to H1-B and i am wondering do i need to get Visa stamp on Canadian passport.

thanks

Successful stamping in Toronto Feb 5th

Hi:
I am a Canadian PR card holder and came to Toronto by flight. At the Canadian immigration, I encountered a pretty nasty old white officer. It went like this:

IO: Why you are not staying in Canada?
Me: I still have a job in US
IO: Why did you apply then? (Pretty rudely)
Me: We plan to move in near future.
IO: People are waiting for this and you are staying in US.
ME: I did not find any clause while applying for Canadian PR, that I cannot work in the US.

That worked, and the guy became nice and a smile and handed me the Customs card. Guys, please held on to your nerves in such situation, and they can't stop a PR without valid reason, and staying in US is not a reason.

My appointment was at 9:30 this morning, and went to the King St branch of Scotia bank, deposited $100 (They keep 1 copy and give you back 3). Reached the consulate at 9:20. It was extremely cold (-30deg C with wind chill and snowing heavily). No one was in line, the guard asked for the app letter and passport, and let me in. I had to open my jacket, and put that along with my bag in the xray scanner(They allow a bag to be taken in). At the end of the walk way, 2 ladies were asking for 797, 156, and 157. They checked and put those with the passport in a blue plastic pouch. I went in the room and stood in the line(4 guys in front of mine). There was a tough looking blond lady in her 50s and asked for the Canadian PR card and took the blue pouch in(SHe also wrote on 156 that I am a pr). She gave the pr card back to me and asked me to wait.

In 20 min my name was called for fingerprinting. First left index finger and then right index finger. Did that and started to wait again.

There are 6 windows. In window #1 there is FP going on, 2- there is a nic looking gentleman. In 3- one good looking white woman in her 30s, on 4th the same, - she smiles a lot, but was asking a lot of questions to almost everyone. 5 and 6 was for collecting the blue pouches.

I was called in window 4.

VO: Good morning
ME: Good morning, and hope you are doing fine.
VO: Thanks for asking
VO: What do you do
ME: I work for xxx company as a yyy.
VO: How long you have been therer.
Me: 6 and a half year
VO: Please show me a letter from your company, I-129, and LCA.
ME: I gave all of those
VO: Why your job is important:
ME: I started my story and in 10 seconds I was stopped.
VO: Oh! you are in 7th year!! What is your priority date?
ME: Dec 2004.
VO: Can I see your dol screenshot
ME: I gave it
VO: I am giving you visa, and pickit up on 6th at 3 PM.

Before me there was one Indian guy, working for a consulting company for 6 months and got a labor substitution. He was grilled in the same widow for about 20 min.

From my experience, what I can say that,- they are there to grant you visa, provided you have a straight forward case. If you are not involved in a fishy affair, there is no point for you to worry. Facing the interview is a non-issue. The issue is namecheck or TAL check. Be prompt in answering, arrange your docs in a harmonium file so that you can pick it up in no time. If you are searching for stuff, it indicates you are not prepared.

I am still not done yet. Tomorrow I have to pick up the passport and head for the airport.

Congrats va-12-04 for a successful and smooth visa stamping. Could we know your country of origin and if you have a common (first and/or last) name?

off course the real problem is name check and admin processing. If one has a US degree or if its a visa revalidation, interview is a non-issue.

No, you do not need an H-1B visa. You can use you I-797 and you passport to seek entry. At the POE you will be issued an H-1B status I-94.

hafshik said:
Do Canadian Citizen need Visa stamp on passport for H1-B?

I am on TN status now and my company is starting my process to get H1-B so that they can apply for my GC shortly after. I am wondering do i need to get VISA stamp on my Canadian passport once i get my H1-B approved.

Thanks

Lawyer Experience

Has any one ever hired an attorney for visa interview in canada? I spoke to alot of people and they all claimed that it wouldnt make any difference. If it got to be delayed, it will get delayed. All attorney claims that there is no guarantee. Any thoughts?

Urgent Questions!!! Please help

Greetings,
We have a situation and need to get our passport stamped my (H1 for me and H4 for wife). We are thinking of going to Canada.
H1 VISA on my passport expired in 2004, but have been working with valid I-797 since then. I got my I-140 approved and filled for 3 years H1 -H4 extension which also got approved. Currently waiting for my PD to get current to file for I-485.

Yesterday, a friend mentioned that recently rules have changed. That is, if VISA on passport has expired for more then a year then the person has to go back to country of origin (my case - to India). Is this true???????

Also, if someone can help me list out steps and things I need to do to get my VISA stamped in Canada, I will very much appreciate it.

I don't have canadian VISA so will have to get that too.

Thank you very much in advance.

-GCCovet

Attorney

I am also in the same boat. Contemplating whether to hire an attorney or not. Yes, you are right, attornies can not expedite the process but atleast the attorney I know says he can find out whether I will be subjected to security check or not.

Please email me at dell22d@hotmail.com, we will discuss.

Thanks.

brownskindude said:
Has any one ever hired an attorney for visa interview in canada? I spoke to alot of people and they all claimed that it wouldnt make any difference. If it got to be delayed, it will get delayed. All attorney claims that there is no guarantee. Any thoughts?

I don't think that is correct but i am not 100% sure as these rules change everyday.

GCCovet said:
Greetings,
We have a situation and need to get our passport stamped my (H1 for me and H4 for wife). We are thinking of going to Canada.
H1 VISA on my passport expired in 2004, but have been working with valid I-797 since then. I got my I-140 approved and filled for 3 years H1 -H4 extension which also got approved. Currently waiting for my PD to get current to file for I-485.

Yesterday, a friend mentioned that recently rules have changed. That is, if VISA on passport has expired for more then a year then the person has to go back to country of origin (my case - to India). Is this true???????

Also, if someone can help me list out steps and things I need to do to get my VISA stamped in Canada, I will very much appreciate it.

I don't have canadian VISA so will have to get that too.

Thank you very much in advance.

-GCCovet