H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

how can i check my status?

arsraj87 said:
Please share any experience in Toronto US Consulate for
H1B & H4 Revalidation.

I have had my first H1B stamped from Toronto back in 2001.

Thanks
Raj
does anyone know how can i check my status without going to imigration?
i'm with h2-b visa,valid till december ,but i wanna know if i left the place where i was working i'm still legall in usa?
thx a lot for your help :)

Appointment in Ottawa on July 17th

Hi,
I have scheduled an appointment in Ottawa on July 17th. Now I want to get a visting VISA to go to Canada.

I looked at their website and it says 15 working days for processing the Visiting VISA..I m currently in Dallas and there is no Canadian consulate near by to process the visting Visa. So looks like i need to send the docs to a near by approved Canadia consulate.

Does people used to send these docs via mail or they drop by in person to get the Visting VISA stamped.??

And what are my chances in Canada to get the VISA stamped..??? I m in my 4th year of my H1.. I recently shifted a job and has 2 paystubs from my current company.. I was never out of status and has all the paystubs, and other necessary documents..

Do i stand a chance.? Pls. let me know.

Hi,

I am planning to go to Visa revalidation to canada. I am from India. I am in US for more than 5 years. I did revalidation in US before. Now my visa got expired for more than 12 months. But I have I-797 approval notice continuously. As my visa got expired more than 12 months, is it going to be risky in canada??? My status is H1B right from begining but changed employers. Thanks.

Sri

Place to Stay

Hello,

This question is for all those who recently got their passports stamped in Ottawa. Where did you guys stay while you were there? Everything I found online is so expensive.

Thanks,

Stoned!

Hi

I am on my 7th year H1 extension and I would like to get my passport stamping (as well as my wife's) done in canada. Can some pro on this forum clarify my following questions.

1. What is the internet site where we can take an appointment?
2. It is safe to get the stamping done in canada?
3. I live in New York. Which nearby city in canada would be ideal to get the passport stamping done.
4. After the interview How long does this process (stamping) take before we get our passport.

I REALLY appreciate your help on this.

Thanks
Bharat

H1B Stamping -First time

OK, Here is my situation. I came to the U.S. in August 1998 on F-1 visa stamped until Dec. 2000. I continued on my F-1 I-94 till November 2002, at which point I switched to H-1 B. I have changed three jobs prior to this one, but never have been out of status. I have all my pay stubs, income tax returns and original I-797's for the companies I worked for and am currently working. I have two Master's degrees from US university. Is it advisable to go for H-1 B visa stamping in Canada, Mexico or Mumbai, India.

Hi,

Any replies please...Thanks

global_1970 said:
Hi,

I am planning to go to Visa revalidation to canada. I am from India. I am in US for more than 5 years. I did revalidation in US before. Now my visa got expired for more than 12 months. But I have I-797 approval notice continuously. As my visa got expired more than 12 months, is it going to be risky in canada??? My status is H1B right from begining but changed employers. Thanks.

Sri

Hi i am from Honolulu, I am planning to go for H1 stamping in early august to canada or mexico. I Just finished my Masters in IS in may. I enrolled for MBA in the same university starting fall 2006.
I got my H1 approval notice in jan 2006. I started working from May1st 2006. If i go for stamping what are the chances of not getting stamped.
If not stamped, can i come back using the un-expired F-1 untill 2008. based on MBA.

Please help, i need to go to india in august. This is very important matter for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

bharat76 said:
Hi

I am on my 7th year H1 extension and I would like to get my passport stamping (as well as my wife's) done in canada. Can some pro on this forum clarify my following questions.

3. I live in New York. Which nearby city in canada would be ideal to get the passport stamping done.
4. After the interview How long does this process (stamping) take before we get our passport.

I REALLY appreciate your help on this.

Thanks
Bharat
Hi Bharat76,

http://www.nvars.com
The Consulates are all generally booked pretty solid so it's prudent to book keep watching the calendar.

Yes. Should be hassle-free if you've always been in status, have a US degree, have not lived in one of the countries on the 'watch' list and your paperwork is in order. Some people have had trouble if their name or occupation matched something that's on their intangible and unpredictable watch (for want of a better word) list.

Toronto (Ontario) would be the closest to you and they are friendly (in my experience). It's a 2 hours drive from Buffalo. Ideally this would be your most convenient option if you can get an appointment, but the wait times are terrible - they're usually booked for the 10 weeks ahead.

I was in Toronto late last year for my 7th year ext visa stamp and the interview lasted all of about 45 seconds :)
I (as well as a lot of other Indians that I met there while standing in que) was/were told to pick up the stamped passport the next day after 3 pm. So if all goes well, it is typically a 2 day process. One thing to keep in mind however, is that part of the required documentation involves showing a ScotiaBank deposit receipt. This is basically the receipt of the $100 (i think) fee that NEEDS to be deposited at a ScotiaBank branch which is only in Canada, so give yourself time in the morning for that, or else you'll need an extra day.

Visa Stamping Calgary

Hello,

I have a visa stamping appoointment in Calgary on the 16th. What is the payment structure. I thought all we have to do is pay cash of 100 and 50 dollars, but i am seeing mails requesting to pay through scotia bank in canada. Can anybody please enlighten me.

Also, if anybody has a succesful visa stamping experience in Canada please share your experiences, it would be quite helpful.

Thanks.

-Ganesh S

successful H4 to H1 in New Delhi

Hi all
iam not sure if i should post this here but thought it might be helpful for few of you. i was in a big dilemma whether to go for stamping in canada or india. i had an appointment booked for apr 27th in Ottawa but i was really scared and in the last minute changed my plans and went to india instead. i came to US on H4 in Nov 2003 and converted to H1 in Oct 2004, have been working since then and had all the pay stubs and W-2's, tax returns etc.
Any indian citizen resident in the US can go to any of the four consulates in India and NOT the region where we belong to, we are no longer residents of India and since we reside in the U.S , we could take an appointment in any of the four consulates in India. i went to india on apr 23rd 2006, paid the $100 fee and got the HDFC receipt. i have filled in all the forms online on VFS USA site and checked the dates every few hours for 3 days and finally got an appointment for 12th may in New Delhi.
the interview went very smoothly, the lady officer asked me what i do, my educational qualifications, my skills,my pay, where i live in US, where my husband lives in the U.S, his visa status (we work in two diff cities) etc. she did not ask me for a single document to show, she just asked me questions and was satisfied with the answers and gave me visa.
if you have all the documents, i think we should not worry about going for stamping in India.
All those H4 to H1 applicants needn't worry about stamping in india as long as they have all the documentation and avoid chennai (my personal feeling).

www.H4Help.org

Lekhika said:
www.H4Help.org – A new website launched.
It is a place where dependent visa holders in the US can get guidance on what they can do about their helpless situation. They can network with fellow dependent visa holders, help each other find jobs, help advocates in improving policies by participating in the survey, volunteer… etc. The possibilities are endless. Please let everyone with dependent visa know about this site… This site is started by a dependent visa holder and right now it is run by hand full of people. If you are interested in being part this non-profit organization, please email us at feedback@H4Help.org.

This is in response to posts about www.H4Help.org

1) The personal questions are asked to build a valid case to advocate against the limitations of these dependent visas. If you just have arbitrary data, it is hard to prove a case. Also, no information on the survey is mandatory expect a valid email id so that one can be contacted if a specific case is needed to be represented etc...

2) About helping each other finding job, it is not illegal. We are not suggesting anyone hold an illegal jobs. Spouses of H4B work for companies who sponsor H1Bs. So, if they have any opening and are willing to sponsor for H1B they can let others know about the openings through the forums... and even help submit the resumes personally etc. This way finding a job for H4Bs, which is in most cases is really difficult, would be that much more easier.

3) This is a non profit site, run by a handful of people, which hopes that concerned people (H4Bs, F2 etc and their spouses H1Bs, F1 etc) take a lead in using the tools on the site and help themselves and others like them to improve their situation...

4) We hope to build a community for current and future dependent visa holders, one place where they can go and get all the information and support they need. We need people to get involved. Please spare some of your time and help us take this site further. Take part in discussions... Write to us at feedback@H4Help.org for any suggestions to make the site more useful. We are also working hard, for free, to put more substance in the site...

Thanks for those who came and visited us and also to those who reffered us to their spouse and friends. Please be patient with us, we are a new site. It will take time to make it an active community... For that we also need people like you!

First H-1B stamp attempt in Vancouver

Hi,

I am planning on going to get my first H-1B stamp in Vancouver. I have just completed a BS and MS in the U.S. I am not a Canadian citizen or PR. My H-1B was filed as consular notification, not as change-of-status from F-1.

Question:

1) Will there be any problem with me going to Vancouver instead of to my home country? (I'm going to Vancouver because its closer and because there is a long wait time before getting an appointment at my home country)

2) Are there any reasons why my visa stamp could be denied (from the information that I gave above)?

H1 stamped in Quebec

I just came back from Quebec city yesterday. I went for an interview on Thurday. They gave my passport back on Friday.
The consulate is in a very famous place. IT really is right next to the Chateau Frontenac. Hard to find a parking place.
I stayed in Comfort Inn which is 5-6 mins away by car.

The Quebec consulate is very tiny. They have almost 20 seats at max inside. They don't want you to show up too early for your appointment. I came to the consulate 45 min before my appt. They gave me a green waiting card. Then asked me to come back right on the appt. time.
I just sat around in the park for about 40 min.
I went back to the counsulate again. Then I crossed the security check.
Then They called my waiting # at the window. I was asked to show all the documents such as approval notice, passport, job offer letter, paystubs, a photo, 100$ cash, and canadian PR card.

Then I waited for about 1 hour. They called my name again for fingerprint.
Then gave me a card for passport pick up the next day.

Nothing really bad.

People were quite friendly.

So they will need a canadian PR card? I was told that this was not necessary. I will have started working in Seattle on an OPT EAD by October, and am going to get my first H-1B stamped in October in Vancouver, simply because it is the closest consulate to Seattle, and I was told that I could do this despite not being a canadian PR (or anything with Canada). My H-1 petition was made as consular notification, and I believe that in the application we specified that I would go to Vancouver for stamping.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Does anyone have an idea of whether this should be OK or of any problems that I might encounter?

After reading horrible stories about Islamabad stamping, I am planning to get my H1-b stamped from Toronto consulate (I am Canadian PR). This is my 8th year extension (I am with the same company for more than 5 years now). I also have 2 expired stamps on my passport (from Islamabad).

After reading the reviews, I understand that background check is subject-to-luck and I may be unlucky but i have few questions:

- WHEN THEY ISSUE 221g (or whatever it is), DO THEY ALSO KEEP YOUR PASSPORT, I-797 AND I-94? or i'll be able to come back to US on I-94 and resume my job until i get replay from Toronto consulate?

- How long is the average waiting time for background check? Any guesses? (Given parameters: Pakistani, 8th Year extension, 2 Expired stamps already on passport)?

- For my wife, I guess it will be east to get H4 stamped from ISLAMABAD?

please share your experiences...

Thanks

Help Regarding H4 to H1 stamping.

Hi All,
I am currently on H1 7th year extension and my visa got expired in april 2006. I am working in the same company for the past 7 years. I have US masters degree. I am looking for visa stamping.
Also, my wife got converted from H4 to H1 in October 2005. She got her SSN in January and started working from March 2006. (She does not have W2's, since she started working from this year).
Her H4 visa got expired in April 2006.

Now we both have to go for visa stamping. I have the following questions:

1. Which is the best place for us to go for the stamping.
2. Will there be any complications for my wife's H4 to H1 stamping and what are the probable questions that will be asked.
3. Is it safe for us to go together for the stamping.

We have to visit India in August. Where can we find appointments in this short period.

Guys, any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

H-1 visa stamping in Canada - NOT a Canadian PR or citizen

Hi,

I am planning on going to get my first H-1B stamp in Vancouver. I have just completed a BS and MS in the U.S. I am not a Canadian citizen or PR. My H-1B was filed as consular notification, not as change-of-status from F-1.

Question:

1) Anyone had a similar experience? Stamping first H-1 in Canada, not being a Canadian PR or citizen?

2) Anyone think there will be any problem with me going to Vancouver instead of to my home country? (I'm going to Vancouver because its closer and because there is a long wait time before getting an appointment at my home country)

3) Are there any reasons why my visa stamp could be denied (from the information that I gave above)?

L1 to H1

Hi
I have valid L1 visa with me. I want to attend for H1 Visa in Canada. If the visa gets rejected I am I able to go back to US and work on L1 visa. Please help me out.

rvmsireesha said:
Hi
I have valid L1 visa with me. I want to attend for H1 Visa in Canada. If the visa gets rejected I am I able to go back to US and work on L1 visa. Please help me out.

Nope