H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

hi Everyone,
got H1 visa stamped successfully at ottawa consultancy on 29th march .although had expected it to be little bit difficult but in the end turned out to be quite easy .
had an 8 am appointment ,reached the place around 7:30.there was no queue or anything .around 7:45 the gatekeeper asked all those who were outside t oform a queue and asked for appointment letter to be ready .he was checking whether ds156 was ready ,along with photos and the cash .after that i was sent inside .once inside we were asked to wait for window no. 7 to open and pay the 100 $ non refundable visa fees. since iwas the 2nd one it went quickly .the lady took the 100 $ in cash and asked along with it ds156 form ,ds157, and I797 form .after a wait of 10 muntesname was called from window no. 2
Myself-GoodMorning Sir
Visa Officer (VO)-goodmorning.how are u doing
Myself-i am fine sir.how r u going
VO- good.
VO-here is your receipt for 100$.can you put the left index index finger for fingerprint and then the right index finger

after fingerprinting was done successfully

VO- so when did you come to US sir
Myself- i came in 200x sir on F1 visa
VO- where did u studied
Myself-xxxx university
VO- do u have the degree ?
Myself-yes sir ,showed him the degree(he noted the graduation date and wrote it down )
VO- do u have your opt card
Myself- yes sir ,gave him the card .he took it went to the side and entering some no. in some machine .(i guesses maybe checking something through it )
VO-so which company r u working for
Myself-xxx consultants
VO-tell me asomething about it
Myself-it is a consulting company ,i am working in it from oct ,2005 as a programmer analyst
VO- do u have offer letter
Myself-yes sir ,gave him that
VO- ok here is the slip go and deposit the 50$ and then come back .

so then i just went and deposited the 50 $ .after that came back and gave the slip o him and was asked to collect the visa next day at 3 o clock .

went around 2:45 next day there were 5 to 6 people in queue .the gatekeeper was already giving out the passports .got mine in 5 minutes and was done with it .

did not saw anybody rejected or being asked too many questions .the visa officer seemed cool and could infact also hear him discussing american football with one of the persons for interview :)

so just be prepared with all your documents .if u have ,masters degree then i dont think it wud be problem if u have all the documents

first time H4 application in canada

Anyone with experience of receiving their first-time (first time ever, This is not a change of status from any other NIV category) H4 stamping in US consulates in canada?

The H4 applicant holds Indian passport but faces a substantially long wait time in mumbai US consulate. Due to change in VFS rules, even if earlier dates are available, pre-poning is no longer allowed.

Please share any insights that you may have in this respect.

tusharvk said:
further, you may not visit canadian consulate so much in advance of your new I797 start date. Your visa interview date should be no more than 10 days before your new I797 start date.

tusharvk,
Thanks for the reply.."Your visa interview date should be no more than 10 days before your new I797 start date" I didn't find this information on any website? Are you sure about this? I mean is it stated anywhere about htis condition? I would appreciate your response..

check amcits.com
mightyc said:
tusharvk,
Thanks for the reply.."Your visa interview date should be no more than 10 days before your new I797 start date" I didn't find this information on any website? Are you sure about this? I mean is it stated anywhere about htis condition? I would appreciate your response..

tusharvk,
Thanks for the valuable info ..

mightyc said:
tusharvk,

H1 rejected twice in Ottawa. Further options

Hello

I was rejected H1 stamping twice in Ottawa and now I have to go to India for the third time. Can I goto Mexico now ? I went for H1 stamping 12 days ago. This was my 2nd H1 stamping based on renewal.This is what happened. When I went first time I took lot of documents

This is my conversation with the consular officer.

CO: Please give me your I797, LCA, I129 petion.
Me; Handed over the docs.
Co: Ok..so you work for consulting firm.
Me: Yes..its a big firm with over 1000 employes and turnover of more than 200 million.
CO: Please provide original or certified contracts between your company and all the clients you have worked in the past along with contact numbers of managers of all previous clients.
ME: I have letter from my client but no contracts.
Co: I dont care about client letter.
CO; Are you a US degree holder.
Me: Yes
Co: Why didnt you go to India for stamping
Me: Company could not afford to send me for long trip.
CO: yeah the same lame excuse.
CO: Listen..please reapply with this 221(g) form along with all documents I have requested including client contracts and manager contacts.
Me:eek:k

I went back last week with all documents , as I have always been on project.

This is what happened second time. This time it was some lady.
Co: Hi , How are you
Me: Good.
CO: So you applied earlier.
Co: Do you have all the required documents that we asked for.
Me: Yes. ( I handed over the documents)
Co: Hmm...We will verify that manager contacts you are providing match up with the contracts and also we will verify by contacting them if you have really worked there. Please wait for about 60 minutes
Me: Ok..
Co: Also I would need all W2s , all previous LCA for previous H1.

After 35 minutes I was called again. The CO handed all docs back to me and said:

CO: We cannot evaluate your application as you dont have strong documentation and credible reason to apply here. Please appy in home country.
Me: What exactly do I need then?
Co: Sorry.. we always advise you in the appointment letter that if we cannot evaluate you then you will need to apply in home country. Your home country will give you an exact list of what you need.

My question is can I go to Mexico now for stamping??

dipensin said:
Hello

I was rejected H1 stamping twice in Ottawa and now I have to go to India for the third time. Can I goto Mexico now ? I went for H1 stamping 12 days ago. This was my 2nd H1 stamping based on renewal.This is what happened. When I went first time I took lot of documents

This is my conversation with the consular officer.

CO: Please give me your I797, LCA, I129 petion.
Me; Handed over the docs.
Co: Ok..so you work for consulting firm.
Me: Yes..its a big firm with over 1000 employes and turnover of more than 200 million.
CO: Please provide original or certified contracts between your company and all the clients you have worked in the past along with contact numbers of managers of all previous clients.
ME: I have letter from my client but no contracts.
Co: I dont care about client letter.
CO; Are you a US degree holder.
Co: Why didnt you go to India for stamping
Me: Company could not afford to send me for long trip.
CO: yeah the same lame excuse.
CO: Listen..please reapply with this 221(g) form along with all documents I have requested including client contracts and manager contacts.
Me:eek:k

I went back last week with all documents , as I have always been on project.

This is what happened second time. This time it was some lady.
Co: Hi , How are you
Me: Good.
CO: So you applied earlier.
Co: Do you have all the required documents that we asked for.
Me: Yes. ( I handed over the documents)
Co: Hmm...We will verify that manager contacts you are providing match up with the contracts and also we will verify by contacting them if you have really worked there. Please wait for about 60 minutes
Me: Ok..
Co: Also I would need all W2s , all previous LCA for previous H1.

After 35 minutes I was called again. The CO handed all docs back to me and said:

CO: We cannot evaluate your application as you dont have strong documentation and credible reason to apply here. Please appy in home country.
Me: What exactly do I need then?
Co: Sorry.. we always advise you in the appointment letter that if we cannot evaluate you then you will need to apply in home country. Your home country will give you an exact list of what you need.

My question is can I go to Mexico now for stamping??

Yes, you can go to Mexico. Infact you can go to any US consulate but if I were you I would go to my home country since they already asked you to do that in Canada.

dipensin
The question the VO asked is really unusuall. I am not sure why he has even asked u that because nobody does.
Do you think any reason why he asked that question to u.

GL Lover
Do you think any reason why he has been asked that question? I am scared now because i will be going for stamping very soon.
And i been told that ottawa is really safe.

YOur reply will be appreciated.
Thanx

Kesari,

I dont think it is unusual to ask these questions. I saw lot of people being asked all sorts of questions. It depends on who your consular officer is. Anyway I am trying for stamping in Mexico now. I will try my luck there. If that does not work then probably India.

dipensin said:
Kesari,

I dont think it is unusual to ask these questions. I saw lot of people being asked all sorts of questions. It depends on who your consular officer is. Anyway I am trying for stamping in Mexico now. I will try my luck there. If that does not work then probably India.

Are you able to enter USA now?? Or you will go to Mexico from Canada itself?

Dipensin,
Could u please furnish some of your information when you have some time?

Basically i want to know if its your first time H1B stamping on your passport?
Or is it your B1 -> H1B stamping.

Please provide us when you got a chance.

Thanx,

srsin said:
Hi, Anybody has got H1 stampped at Calgary, Canada recently.
I Have a appointment in Calgary in April last week and going for 8th year H1 stamp.
Pls provide your commenst suggestion about going to Calgary.

arsraj87 said:
Please share any experience in Toronto US Consulate for
H1B & H4 Revalidation.

I have had my first H1B stamped from Toronto back in 2001.

Thanks
Raj

Hi Folks,

I am planning to visit canada for h1b stamping and i have a question. they need I-797 (either I-797A or I-797B) and I-797C is not acceptable. do you have any idea where i can get the I-797A or I-797B. The only documents i received after h1b was approved were...i797C and the I-94 which is the lower portion of some other document and the upper portion was for employer. Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks,

stamping H1 visa ---from F1 to H1 ..ottawa , canada

guys
i would like to share my experience at canada

i had got all the paper work and had heard all the horror stories...

but nothing unusual happened.
well instead was talking about football with the guy who was taking my interview

he just saw my degree certificate and my employee letter

tha was it , he told all the best ..:)

I797C (I believe) is the courtesy copy sometimes sent to the employer;
original I797A goes to the lawyer.
it is always possible that the CIS messed up in this case.
love_rhtdmin said:
Hi Folks,

I am planning to visit canada for h1b stamping and i have a question. they need I-797 (either I-797A or I-797B) and I-797C is not acceptable. do you have any idea where i can get the I-797A or I-797B. The only documents i received after h1b was approved were...i797C and the I-94 which is the lower portion of some other document and the upper portion was for employer. Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks,

tusharvk said:
I797C (I believe) is the courtesy copy sometimes sent to the employer;
original I797A goes to the lawyer.
it is always possible that the CIS messed up in this case.

I think tusharvk is right. The copy goes to lawyer which has extended I-94 is I-797A that you need to keep with your passport and a corutesy copy sent to company is I-797c which is the approved notice copy. You need to take the notice which has extended I-94 portion at botton of I797.

canada for H1B stamp

Do you guys apply for single or Multi Entrance canadian visa?
Do you tell embassy the reason for visiting Canada? Can you apply before you get U.S. embassy appointment letter?

you do mention the reason for visiting canada in the canadian visa application form and also need to show the interview appointmentletter to the canadian embassy.
newworld1 said:
Do you guys apply for single or Multi Entrance canadian visa?
Do you tell embassy the reason for visiting Canada? Can you apply before you get U.S. embassy appointment letter?

Recent (contractor)H1B to H4 - visa stamping risks?

Hi,

My wife was with a consulting firm for a year, but they did not pay her, and neither was she involved in any projects with them. I recently applied to change her H1B to an H4 visa. We are planning to go to India in June/July and hence need to go to Canada for visa stamping. We will be applying for her visa stamping on the basis of my employment status, since her H1B to H4 transfer would not be completed by then. Any words of advice on the related risks?

Can they ask for pay stubs from her H1B visa period during the visa interview?

Also, anyone know what is the status of appointment dates at the various Canadian consulates?

Thanks,
gvsg

Last edited by a moderator:
H1b Stamping In Ottawa on May24-2006

Hi,

I am going to Ottawa consulate for H1b stamping on may 24th 2006.

I worked for company "A" first and then i joined in New company "B" with the new H1b. Its a consulting company.

So can anyone pls. advice on what documents i need to carry..

thanks in advance.