H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

ela6 said:
Glad to hear that your trauma is over. Sorry I did not follow this thread closer. Just curious why you were stuck in Canada. Did they take away your I-94 when you entered Canada (by air ???). Please let us know as I have seen many questions in a different forum regarding crossing the border from Canada. Your info will greatly benefit others. Thanks
Ela

The best thing would be to read the thread from the beginning. I was stuck in canada because i was held for security clearance also know as Administrative Processing. I drove down there. my I-94 was attached to my H1B approval notice, they never took it out but on my way back to US they tore that out from I-797 and stapled to my passport. What questions you have regarding crossing the border.

Regards

H1B, H4 visa stamping experience in Vancouver

We drove to Vancouver from Seattle in a rental car. We also finished our Canadian PR landing formalities at the border.

For H1, H4 re-stamping at the US consulate in Vacouver, our experience was consistent with what others (who were not subject to administrative processing) had to say in this forum.

The visa officer asked for recent paystubs along with the usual documents - 156, 157, employment letter, and 797, that were already submitted at the cashier's counter where you pay the fees. The visa officer asked for my job duties. I felt that he sort of already knew about my job duties. The whole interview was around 2-3 minutes and we were done. Before the interview, at another counter in the same room, we were finger-printed.

I did have to pay the reciprocity fee even though I landed as a PR in Canada a day before, as the guy said that I have not lived in Canada. So, the morale of the story, carry extra cash when you go for stamping or landing or at the poe.

Coming back to the US: The wait time to enter the border was around 40 minutes. We did have to come out of our car and stand in line in the building. We did not have to fill out any form. The POE guy was decent and to the point. He printed out our new I94s with right dates on them and charged $12 for it. Again, carry extra cash. I was not prepared for it either.

On my background, I'm from India with a US degree and this was our second H1, H4 stamping.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------This experience is not a legal advice.

Thanks for replying back. I misunderstood that you were stuck in Canada for 65 days and was trying to understand why. Now it is clear.

By the way, did they ask you any questions at the border - when you came the first time with an expired visa (I am assuming you had an expired visa)

I had to cross the border in Tijuana with an expired visa. Several people emailed me requesting info about Canada border. I am trying to find out the level of difficulty in getting back (without a new visa stamp). Thanks again for your reply.
Ela

fbhatti said:
The best thing would be to read the thread from the beginning. I was stuck in canada because i was held for security clearance also know as Administrative Processing. I drove down there. my I-94 was attached to my H1B approval notice, they never took it out but on my way back to US they tore that out from I-797 and stapled to my passport. What questions you have regarding crossing the border.

Regards

ela6 said:
Thanks for replying back. I misunderstood that you were stuck in Canada for 65 days and was trying to understand why. Now it is clear.

By the way, did they ask you any questions at the border - when you came the first time with an expired visa (I am assuming you had an expired visa)

I had to cross the border in Tijuana with an expired visa. Several people emailed me requesting info about Canada border. I am trying to find out the level of difficulty in getting back (without a new visa stamp). Thanks again for your reply.
Ela
I had to go through a hard time when i tried to renter US without a VISA. They finger print and took my pics twice, xeroxed all the docs i was carrying and then sent me back to Canada.
You can reneter US within 30 days if you have not passed 30 days, if you have not gone to the consulate for non immigration visa and waiting for security clearance. If you have valid I-797 ( doesnt matter if your visa is expired). When i went to the border , i had already passed my 30 days, waiting for security clearance, had cancelled stamp on my passport( I knew they gonna send me back).
Second time when i went to the border with valid visa , it took them 25 mins to clear me. He asked me all kinda questions , like where would i go in US, whats my employer office number etc and entered evrything in the database. took my finger prints and pic, tore off my I-94 from I-797 and stappled to my passport and stamped my passport( admitted stamp).

Hope this info might help some of u guys
Regards

Hi fbhatti,
I assume yours was a visa revalidation case?? May I ask when and where did you get your previous h1 visa stamp from? The reason I'm asking this is b/c my nationality is Pakistani and am a candian resident and going for visa revalidation in toronto next week. I got my previous visa from toronto in Dec 2003(It took 10 days for administrative checking), since then I haven't leave US. So my question is if they have already done background checking on me almost a yr ago and I haven;t left US since then. Would they still put me for administrative check???
Anyone have any idea!!!!!!!

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Sorry to hear though
Ela
fbhatti said:
I had to go through a hard time when i tried to renter US without a VISA. They finger print and took my pics twice, xeroxed all the docs i was carrying and then sent me back to Canada.
You can reneter US within 30 days if you have not passed 30 days, if you have not gone to the consulate for non immigration visa and waiting for security clearance. If you have valid I-797 ( doesnt matter if your visa is expired). When i went to the border , i had already passed my 30 days, waiting for security clearance, had cancelled stamp on my passport( I knew they gonna send me back).
Second time when i went to the border with valid visa , it took them 25 mins to clear me. He asked me all kinda questions , like where would i go in US, whats my employer office number etc and entered evrything in the database. took my finger prints and pic, tore off my I-94 from I-797 and stappled to my passport and stamped my passport( admitted stamp).

Hope this info might help some of u guys
Regards

ip_everywhere said:
Hi fbhatti,
I assume yours was a visa revalidation case?? May I ask when and where did you get your previous h1 visa stamp from? The reason I'm asking this is b/c my nationality is Pakistani and am a candian resident and going for visa revalidation in toronto next week. I got my previous visa from toronto in Dec 2003(It took 10 days for administrative checking), since then I haven't leave US. So my question is if they have already done background checking on me almost a yr ago and I haven;t left US since then. Would they still put me for administrative check???
Anyone have any idea!!!!!!!

No it wasnt revalidation, this was my first time going from F1 to H1, and i am also pakistani national with canadian residency. Like I said before also there is no criteria on the basis of which they select which one has to go through the security clearance process. If you are going again for visa stamping then prepare accordingly you never know what will happen ( I hope you get through without all this security crap).

maybesomeday said:
Ok, I have this all wrong for my situation. I just got my receipt notice with the WAC number and when I tried to go to nvars and schedule an appointment it kicked me out when I said I was Canadian. I thought everyone had to do this? I am wrong?

You have to tell your nationality and correct passport number. can not say that you are canadian and enter your right pp number; no doubt the system kicked you out.

h1 revalidation in canada

What kind of status did you hold for staying in Canada, if you don't mind my asking.
I am planning on going to canada for Permanent Resident Stamping and on my way back, get H1B stamping (7th yr extension approved).
Do i need appointment at consulate in this case or get my visa stamped at the Border?
Does H1B approval process or Green Card process in United states get impacted by Permanent Resident status of Canada?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
krjeevan

immiadvice said:
Hello Folks;
I successfully got my H1 (& H4 stamp) in Ottawa on March 8.
This was my third H1 stamp (second for the same employer)
It went very smooth...hardly 5 min interview...
Please note that bar coded DS156 is a must...i had filed my online but for my wife I had to fill in the consulate...for they did not accepted hand-filled form...there were 4 people ahead of me waiting for the computer...so it took 1 hour before I was able to pay the fees...after paying the fess in about 10 min I was called to submit the documents...the lady was very couteous and documents asked were:
H1/H4 approvals
passports
DS156 & DS157 forms
finger printing (both for myself & my wife)
status in Canada ( I had landed 2 days before)
submitted all my papers...after that in about 8 min I was called for the interview....the officer was very cool and had god sense of humour.....following questions....

1. where do you work?
2. what does the company do?
3. how long you have been working?
4. employer letter
5. pay stub

got the passport back at 3 pm. there were about 3 other Indians who also got their visa issued.
There were about 5 other people (I am not sure for what visa) but were from Pakistan and were submitted for security clearance and asked to come back in 3 weeks...

Thank you very much to all who helped me out...this is very useful forum...I will be more than haapy to answer any questions....

H1B Stamping and Indian Trip

How much wait time in Canada Stamping ? if I will go and get appointment next week ? when I will get ?

I have AP. I am going to enter Canada to get PR. and going in May 2005 to India. If something happen to My AP or GC processing. Planning to go Canada from india and get H1b Stamp ?

Need to know best suggestion from your guys ? I have GC in process in USA and have AP. wanted to come back on AP or something happen to AP then go to canada and stamp on h1b...

please help,.

tusharvk said:
You have to tell your nationality and correct passport number. can not say that you are canadian and enter your right pp number; no doubt the system kicked you out.
I did. I am a Canadian citizen by birth and gave my correct passport number. The response by the system was that I don't have to go the consulate for validation. I still haven't got confirmation from either lawyer about this yet. I did get my e-mail notice that my H1B was approved, however. Took just 1 day from reciept to approval.

Hi - Questions for you - Krjeevan

Hi

I read your H1B & H4stamping exp in Canada, I plan to get my extended H1B Stampled in Montreal US consulate , I stay in Maine & I can drive there.Iam also Canadian PR , so I can go anytime. My questions are

1) I was under impression that you have to get your Visas stamped in home country ( my case - India ),I think thats wrong, So I can stamp in Canada too ?

2) Any idea whats the appointment time now in general for US consulates in Canada ?

Look forward to hear from you

Thanks
Sandeep

maybesomeday said:
I did. I am a Canadian citizen by birth and gave my correct passport number. The response by the system was that I don't have to go the consulate for validation. I still haven't got confirmation from either lawyer about this yet. I did get my e-mail notice that my H1B was approved, however. Took just 1 day from reciept to approval.

If you are a cdn citizen, you do not have to go to the consulate for anything. You can get an H1- stamping (no visa reqd ) done at any POE

srdiwakar said:
Hi

I read your H1B & H4stamping exp in Canada, I plan to get my extended H1B Stampled in Montreal US consulate , I stay in Maine & I can drive there.Iam also Canadian PR , so I can go anytime. My questions are

1) I was under impression that you have to get your Visas stamped in home country ( my case - India ),I think thats wrong, So I can stamp in Canada too ?

2) Any idea whats the appointment time now in general for US consulates in Canada ?

Look forward to hear from you

Thanks
Sandeep

You can go to Canada for H1 B stamping. Check nvars for appt

Hello All,

The postings here helped me a lot. If you take time and go through all the postings before you go to Toronto for stamping, you will do well. My wife and I went through 2 years of postings.

My experiences from Toronto trip for Canadian PR, H1 / H4 revalidation on Feb 23rd, 2005.

I have landed as an immigrant in Canada, applied for SIN, PR card and other formalities for Canadian Immigration, and got my H1-Revalidation and H4 –Revalidation for my wife and kids.

I have no friends or relatives in Toronto and I came to know about a service provide by http://www.sunnynewcomer.com/ website through my friends in US. They are extremely good at providing services like getting PR card, SIN card and other services. One could use their service with confidence. I gave their address as my local address. My friends are happy with them as well.

On Feb 23rd, I visited US consulate, my appointment is at 8:00 AM, and I went there at 7:35 AM and waited in the line. We carried an umbrella stroller, a sippy and some snacks for my kids. At 7:40 AM, security came and asked us to enter the premises. After security check (remember not to take any electronic devices) we entered into a waiting area. My son was making lot of noise and we tried to control but in vein, my advice is not to feel the pressure, as you have to answer lot of questions. If you are taking kids, don’t worry about kids not behaving well, everyone will try to understand.

My turn came:
Me: Good morning Officer
Assistant (I don’t know what she is): Good Morning, I am not an officer, give me your papers
Me: Silent, and I gave Scotia Bank Checks, 156,157, H1, H4, passports, and other stuff (Security Guard will advice you what to submit at the first window)
Assistant: When you last visited India
Me: I came in 19XX and never got a chance to visit India again
Assistant: How about your wife and kids?
Me: Same Officer
Assistant: Don’t call me an OFFICER.
Me; Sorry Mam.
Assistant: not even mam, just don’t address me with any thing:)

She asked me lot of questions, be prepared with major events (dates) regarding your old visa stampings and other major events, what is your status in Canada, when you came to US, when your wife and kids came to US, when you completed graduation, how many years left. She asked lot of questions and same to another gentle man a head of me. She asked me to wait in the waiting area.

I waited for my second call and this time a real officer paged my name, she is very nice and I was very comfortable talking to her. I addressed her as an officer and she asked couple of questions like what is your position with your company? Do you have the letter from your company? Finally, the officer asked me to give fingerprints. I am done in less than 3 minutes. Officer asked me to come next day to pickup the passports. We were out by 8:35 AM.

During waiting, I met a person from India who came for H1 Revalidation and his visa rejected because of his out-of-status for a month or so during his stay in US. They will track from one H1 to the other H1 and so please go there only if you have clean records. I would recommend going to Canada only if you have clean records otherwise your home country is the best option. Please do not go if you are 1) out-of-status for a certain period 2) going for the first time and you do not have a US degree 3) if you have any criminal records. I met another person from Pakistan and he was revalidated along with me without any problems as he has clean records and this is his second time to get revalidation from Toronto.

I think I have posted everything with my experience, I might not check this forum often, if you have questions please search this forum and I am sure you will find answers.

I’ve carried the below documents but they asked only 1 thru 10 documents:
1. DS-156
2. DS-157
3. Passport photo
4. I-797
5. I-129
6. copy of LCA
7. Passports
8. Scotia bank deposit slips - $100 – Both
9. Letter from current employer stating salary, position and duration
10. Canada Immigration temporary landing Form (Record of Landing – originals only), for PR they will give a temporary landing form otherwise IMM1000
11. Marriage certificate
12. Recent letters of employment
13. tax documents
14. Monthly bank statements
15. Degree certificates
16. 1 year Pay slips
17. W2 forms
18. Tax forms
19. All old H1 and H4
20. birth certificates

Hi KP Pito,

Thanks for your detailed post.
You mentioned that a person from India got rejected because he was out of status for a month. What exactly you mean by that ? Do you know if he was on H1 status and didnt have pay stubs or he didnt have H1 status also ?

Please let us know.

Thanks,
Vivek

Hi,
I am a pakistani citizen and my first h-1b has expired on my passport.
The first h-1b i got stamped in Pakistan in 2003.
I want to stamp my second h-1b in canada but i am not sure about the procedure and how long it will take for a pakistani.
I have an undergrad degree from the US and have been working here 4 years.
Should i go to Canada where i have heard it takes 1-2 days or should i go back to Pakistan where it could take up to 2 months?
I appreciate any help and advise.
Thanks
Sami

samikhan:

If they flagged you for security check then most probably it will take anywhere from 3 weeks to 8 weeks. If you don't have any place to live in Canada, then it is going to be very expensive for you. Also make sure that your company is aware of this so that you can work from offsite if they flagged you for security clearance. I think, it is very common for an applicant from SR country to flag for security check. I am not from Pakistan but their are couple of people from Pakistan who got struck in Canada for security check. Check with them. If you read the whole thread you will get their contacts.

samikhan1 said:
Hi,
I am a pakistani citizen and my first h-1b has expired on my passport.
The first h-1b i got stamped in Pakistan in 2003.
I want to stamp my second h-1b in canada but i am not sure about the procedure and how long it will take for a pakistani.
I have an undergrad degree from the US and have been working here 4 years.
Should i go to Canada where i have heard it takes 1-2 days or should i go back to Pakistan where it could take up to 2 months?
I appreciate any help and advise.
Thanks
Sami

my suggestion: consider avoid leaving the US unless you absolutely have to. (this is true regardless of whether or not you are from SR countries).

Agree with Tusharvk

tusharvk said:
my suggestion: consider avoid leaving the US unless you absolutely have to. (this is true regardless of whether or not you are from SR countries).
Agree with tusharvk