H1 Visa Experience Chennai Consulate

Urgent: Need Help: H1-B revalidation

I have an appointment in Delhi on 5th June for my H1-B revalidation and my wife's H-4 revalidation. I will greatly appreciate if someone can answer the questions I have.

I joined this new company X in Oct 2005. I had 7th year extension approved (I-797) from my previous employer Y (based on LC pending with Y). The new employer X used the same approval notice and letter from labor department, for my H1 transfer and got it approved for the 7th year.
Now with X, my I-140 is files on a labor substitution case...

My questions are

1. Since I am no longer employed with Y so if asked the basis of my 7th year extension, can I show the letter from Labor department (for LC with Y) and approved I-797 (with Y) as a proof?
2. Should I tell anything about my current labor substitution case where my I-140 is pending
3. Do I need any letter from the client, where I am working as a consultant?
4. Do I need Income Tax returns papers for my new eployer X?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great exeperience at chennai consulate

I had very good experience at chennai consulate that i want to share with you all.
I am on 7th year extension with expired visa. So i decide to go to india instead of mexico or canada. I took appointment six months ago.

1. I went to consulate on 5th May 15 min before my appointment time.
2. Security checked my appointment letter and passport and let me in.
3. I Stood in line for less than an hour to get first window where they checked my papers.
4. Then they took my papers and ask me to proceed to next builing inside.
5. I waited for one more hour to get my papers back in next building.
6. Then they allow me stand in interview counter according to my interview time.
7. There it took one more hour to reach counter.
8. I reach the counter and wish the person in the counter.
9. "How long have you been in US?" he asked
10. "7 years" I said
11. "How long have been with this company?" he asked
12. "5 years" I said
13. "Are you direct employee to this company?" he aked
14. "Yes sir" I said
15. "What this company does?" he asked
16. I explained.
17. "Does your wife need visa?" he asked
18. "She got her visa in last dec" I said
19. "Please proceed to next window and pay visa fees and have a nice trip back to states" he said

He didn't aske me paycheck, w-2 or 1040 or any thing to see.
He saw my work permit and passport.
I hope this would help some one.

485 is immigrant visa. I - 140 is not immigrant visa. so say no

js07 said:
Hello Gurus,
My company has applied 140 for me. Will I be answering "YES" or "NO" for the question in DS-156

Has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf?:

Your help is highly appreciated

Thanks

www.H4Help.org

Lekhika said:
www.H4Help.org – A new website launched.
It is a place where dependent visa holders in the US can get guidance on what they can do about their helpless situation. They can network with fellow dependent visa holders, help each other find jobs, help advocates in improving policies by participating in the survey, volunteer… etc. The possibilities are endless. Please let everyone with dependent visa know about this site… This site is started by a dependent visa holder and right now it is run by hand full of people. If you are interested in being part this non-profit organization, please email us at feedback@H4Help.org.

This is in response to posts about www.H4Help.org

1) The personal questions are asked to build a valid case to advocate against the limitations of these dependent visas. If you just have arbitrary data, it is hard to prove a case. Also, no information on the survey is mandatory expect a valid email id so that one can be contacted if a specific case is needed to be represented etc...

2) About helping each other finding job, it is not illegal. We are not suggesting anyone hold an illegal jobs. Spouses of H4B work for companies who sponsor H1Bs. So, if they have any opening and are willing to sponsor for H1B they can let others know about the openings through the forums... and even help submit the resumes personally etc. This way finding a job for H4Bs, which is in most cases is really difficult, would be that much more easier.

3) This is a non profit site, run by a handful of people, which hopes that concerned people (H4Bs, F2 etc and their spouses H1Bs, F1 etc) take a lead in using the tools on the site and help themselves and others like them to improve their situation...

4) We hope to build a community for current and future dependent visa holders, one place where they can go and get all the information and support they need. We need people to get involved. Please spare some of your time and help us take this site further. Take part in discussions... Write to us at feedback@H4Help.org for any suggestions to make the site more useful. We are also working hard, for free, to put more substance in the site...

Thanks for those who came and visited us and also to those who reffered us to their spouse and friends. Please be patient with us, we are a new site. It will take time to make it an active community... For that we also need participation from people like you!

garp said:
Stocknsurf mentioned that if you go for a renewal period that is too short, you would be rejected. Can somebody shed light on what a short period is? My appt is apr 26, 2006 and my 7th year H1 expires Sept 20, 2006. In all likelihood, my company will apply for renewal april but I won't have it in hand for the stamping.

Did you go for Visa stamping? If yes how did it go? Do you know if there is a concern if renewal period is short there may be issue to get visa stamped?

H4 stamping at Chennai

My wife went for H4 visa stamping last week.

The process was smooth and she got her passport with visa stamped in 3 working days.

Just want to share good news.

appointment as group?

Hi,

My wife and I are both on H1 visa status. We want to take a single appointment for stamping, is that possible? Some sources say that is allowed only if one spouse is a dependent (h4). Some other sources say that you can book a single appt by adding another passport as a "group" as opposed to "family"... Can anyone throw some light on this?

Thanks!

I got my H1 stamping and my wife's first time H4 stamping done successfully at Chennai. The interview lasted only for a few minutes. Questions asked were how long I have been working with the company and what my responsibilities were. I was asked to show the latest paystubs. My wife was asked when the wedding took place and where.

I would like to thank everyone in this forum for sharing their valuable info.

help please

I came India last week in emergy. I got appointment on June 29th. I did not bring I-129. I have only I-797 with me. I read previous posts that I-129 is required for visa stamping.
Can some one please explain what documents required?
what is difference between I-129 and LCA.?

cvsubbarao said:
I came India last week in emergy. I got appointment on June 29th. I did not bring I-129. I have only I-797 with me. I read previous posts that I-129 is required for visa stamping.
Can some one please explain what documents required?
what is difference between I-129 and LCA.?

I do not know about Chennai consulate but mumbai consulate does not allow you to go for interview without 129 document. I guess it owuld be same for Chennai.

GC_Lover said:
I do not know about Chennai consulate but mumbai consulate does not allow you to go for interview without 129 document. I guess it owuld be same for Chennai.

My employer sent that through fax and I got visa stamped at Chennai.

Visa Appointment for my son

I am currently working in US on H1 B and planning to come to India. We (me and my wife) have a Visa Appointment in Chennai for visa re validation. We have a baby of 2 months old and he was born in US. Since he is US Citizen we did not take an visa appointment. I recently learnt from VFS that due to security reasons, Chennai Consulate does not allow my son (with out the appointment) to go inside the consulate with us. Can my son get an appointment to go along with us?
Could anyone has this situation?

DesiForGreen said:
I am currently working in US on H1 B and planning to come to India. We (me and my wife) have a Visa Appointment in Chennai for visa re validation. We have a baby of 2 months old and he was born in US. Since he is US Citizen we did not take an visa appointment. I recently learnt from VFS that due to security reasons, Chennai Consulate does not allow my son (with out the appointment) to go inside the consulate with us. Can my son get an appointment to go along with us?
Could anyone has this situation?

DesiForGreen,

What I understood from the VFS site is

You need an appointment Only for Indian new born (born in India) babies, not for US citizen.

Please feel free to correct me

Thanks,
VivekS

DesiForGreen,
You can write to them and ask. I've asked several question and got timely responses to all my questions (info@vfs-usa.co.in).

Shiv

h4 stamping without principal applicant's h1 stamping?

I'm nt travelling 2 india? can my wife get stamping (H4 revalidated) if I didnt have stamping in my passport? can she show her approval notice and mine to get (along with all other reqd documents)? please answer if you know, thanks in advance.

arnet said:
I'm nt travelling 2 india? can my wife get stamping (H4 revalidated) if I didnt have stamping in my passport? can she show her approval notice and mine to get (along with all other reqd documents)? please answer if you know, thanks in advance.

Absolutely you can. My wife got her H4 visa stamped successfully in chennai just with my H1B approval notice. Later after 3 months i had my visa stamped in kolkata.

SK

VFS site questions

1. whether u can change consulate after making first appt? is it possible or option is available in vfs site?

2. vfs site says, we can reschedule once with cancelling to a LATER DATE, but after that we need to cancel and book it. how many times it will allow us to reschedule if i cancel and do it?

3. i tried vfs monitor, always say registeration failed, reinstallation and new email id registration also didnt work. so any ideas?

4. any tips on booking appt in chennai b4 end of 2006 but now dates available only in feb07?

thanks for your help in advance.

Re: Attorney certified copies a must?

I have my interview scheduled for the 22nd Aug and I am leaving for India next week. I only have photocopies of I129 and LCA. Will they suffice or is it absolultely essential to take "attorney certified" copies?